ID ID - Michael “Monkey” Vaughan, 5, last seen near home, Fruitland, 27 Jul 2021 #3

OldCop

Verified Law Enforcement (retired)
Reaction score
Idaho State Police searching for missing, endangered 5-year-old boy | krem.com

https://www.idahostatesman.com/news/northwest/idaho/article253082783.html

upload_2021-7-28_12-41-41.jpeg

The child, Michael Joseph Vaughan, of Fruitland, is 43 inches tall, 50 pounds, has blue eyes and blonde hair and answers to the nickname “Monkey,” according to a news release from Fruitland Police Chief JD Huff early Monday morning.

Michael was last seen on foot at about 6:30 p.m. Tuesday near his home on Southwest Ninth Street, and was said to be wearing a light blue Minecraft T-shirt with dark blue boxer briefs. Officers were dispatched at about 7:30 p.m. He is considered missing and endangered.

ID - ID - Michael “Monkey” Vaughan, 5, Fruitland, 27 Jul 2021 *MEDIA, MAPS, TIMELINE* No Discussion

Thread #1
Thread #2

Last edited by a moderator:
This is a long Argus Observer article dated Dec 1. It begins with an interview with Brandi. She talks about the family and about community support and the support the family is receiving from NCMEC. It continues with comments by PD Chief Huff and an interview with a Payette County Commissioner, previously a prosecutor for the county, who talks about grand juries. Posting a few of the highlights.

FRUITLAND — A Christmas tree donated to his family two years ago still stands in the living room of the home of Michael ‘Monkey’ Vaughan. The boy has been missing since July 27, 2021.

“We have not taken down the tree so graciously donated by Fruitland High School,” said his mother Brandi Neal in a phone interview on Thursday afternoon. “It’s been up in the living room for two years now. I don’t have the heart to take it down.”

As another holiday draws nearer, Michael remains in the planning.
“We always buy him gifts just like we do with all the kids. We have all his Easter, birthday and Christmas gifts he hasn’t been able to be here for, but they are waiting for him,” she said.

She said his family misses him and needs suspects to talk to and cooperate with law enforcement.

“It’s been too long — 856 days — and we still don’t know where he is,” Neal said. “And it’s gut-wrenching. Every day feels like it’s harder and harder.”

Some citizens have reached out to the newspaper inquiring whether the community is still safe with Wondra’s release. Chief JD Huff, who said he is aware of that release, did his best to answer that question in a phone interview on Nov. 30 without getting into specifics related Michael’s case.

“Our investigation is continuing,” Huff said, adding that now that it is in Duke’s (the DA) hands, “I’m optimistic that this thing is going to move forward.”

The chief said Michael’s case remains part of the daily operations for Fruitland Police detectives, who are “busy every day still following up on leads, still interviewing people — none of that has stopped.”

“Keep sharing Michael’s picture, especially on social media — try to every day,” she (Brandi) said. “Michael is still missing, we still don’t have all the answers.”

Neal thanked the community and law enforcement for their support and said it is important for the community to keep supporting each other as well as law enforcement.

“I believe everyone is still as dedicated as day one to finding Michael, and that’s really important.”

This is a long Argus Observer article dated Dec 1. It begins with an interview with Brandi. She talks about the family and about community support and the support the family is receiving from NCMEC. It continues with comments by PD Chief Huff and an interview with a Payette County Commissioner, previously a prosecutor for the county, who talks about grand juries. Posting a few of the highlights.

FRUITLAND — A Christmas tree donated to his family two years ago still stands in the living room of the home of Michael ‘Monkey’ Vaughan. The boy has been missing since July 27, 2021.

“We have not taken down the tree so graciously donated by Fruitland High School,” said his mother Brandi Neal in a phone interview on Thursday afternoon. “It’s been up in the living room for two years now. I don’t have the heart to take it down.”

As another holiday draws nearer, Michael remains in the planning.
“We always buy him gifts just like we do with all the kids. We have all his Easter, birthday and Christmas gifts he hasn’t been able to be here for, but they are waiting for him,” she said.

She said his family misses him and needs suspects to talk to and cooperate with law enforcement.

“It’s been too long — 856 days — and we still don’t know where he is,” Neal said. “And it’s gut-wrenching. Every day feels like it’s harder and harder.”

Some citizens have reached out to the newspaper inquiring whether the community is still safe with Wondra’s release. Chief JD Huff, who said he is aware of that release, did his best to answer that question in a phone interview on Nov. 30 without getting into specifics related Michael’s case.

“Our investigation is continuing,” Huff said, adding that now that it is in Duke’s (the DA) hands, “I’m optimistic that this thing is going to move forward.”

The chief said Michael’s case remains part of the daily operations for Fruitland Police detectives, who are “busy every day still following up on leads, still interviewing people — none of that has stopped.”

“Keep sharing Michael’s picture, especially on social media — try to every day,” she (Brandi) said. “Michael is still missing, we still don’t have all the answers.”

Neal thanked the community and law enforcement for their support and said it is important for the community to keep supporting each other as well as law enforcement.

“I believe everyone is still as dedicated as day one to finding Michael, and that’s really important.”

This interview with the mom makes me feel like LE has shared some answers with the family that the public does not know. I really wonder how close they are to charging someone.

After following this tragic and frustrating case for over two years, I think this crew is part of a trafficking ring. I knew he was taken even before Huff told residents to check their back sheds and trash cans for a little boy potentially hiding. I think one or all of them were either scouts or lures/kidnappers for the ring. Or some other role.

The taxi's and potential other business fronts, the constant switching of and abundance of cars, the open door policy house, the lack of careers for any of them, etc. I think LE needs to look further into these people and their associates and they might just find an operating ring above these idiots. Would explain why none of them are talking.

I often wonder if Michael is still alive somewhere, moved that night amongst the activity in that area - the night he was taken. Huff said human remains were detected but he didn't specify that they were Michael's. Trafficking theory makes more sense to me than they abducted him to murder him and bury him in the neighborhood!?!

@Lionesss, welcome to Websleuths. Your idea is something to think about.

Generally speaking (not about this particular case), sometimes people do evil things that make NO sense while on drugs, so that's where my mind wanders, but all possibilities need to be explored.
Thank you, yes, when we consider that sex trafficking is a multi billion dollar industry and rapidly growing, it definitely is a possibility that has yet to be mentioned. There was much too much driving around that day for it not to have been planned, imo.

After following this tragic and frustrating case for over two years, I think this crew is part of a trafficking ring. I knew he was taken even before Huff told residents to check their back sheds and trash cans for a little boy potentially hiding. I think one or all of them were either scouts or lures/kidnappers for the ring. Or some other role.

The taxi's and potential other business fronts, the constant switching of and abundance of cars, the open door policy house, the lack of careers for any of them, etc. I think LE needs to look further into these people and their associates and they might just find an operating ring above these idiots. Would explain why none of them are talking.

I often wonder if Michael is still alive somewhere, moved that night amongst the activity in that area - the night he was taken. Huff said human remains were detected but he didn't specify that they were Michael's. Trafficking theory makes more sense to me than they abducted him to murder him and bury him in the neighborhood!?!
It's a possibility worth discussing, but wouldn't either of the Wondra's have rolled over by now?

What do you guys think? I get "off" vibes from the Wondras but I am not as convinced that they are responsible as I used to be (even before this interview). Or, I could believe them having knowledge but not being the sole people involved. Not sure if that makes sense.

What do you guys think? I get "off" vibes from the Wondras but I am not as convinced that they are responsible as I used to be (even before this interview). Or, I could believe them having knowledge but not being the sole people involved. Not sure if that makes sense.

I'm not able to read the link in my location, UK.

However, IMO the Wondras are shady as heck and were probably using hardcore substances and running a trap house. The propensity for that to involve all manner of their own madness, never mind all the other random coming and going people involved and all their driving around *anything* involving them could have happened.

I'd certainly like to know more about this alleged road trip that female Wondra took with a random visitor on the day that M went missing.

I'm not able to read the link in my location, UK.

However, IMO the Wondras are shady as heck and were probably using hardcore substances and running a trap house. The propensity for that to involve all manner of their own madness, never mind all the other random coming and going people involved and all their driving around *anything* involving them could have happened.

I'd certainly like to know more about this alleged road trip that female Wondra took with a random visitor on the day that M went missing.
I could believe this scenario. Wondras have people over to "hang out", one of the patrons somehow accidentally kills Michael while under the influence, so the other people (including maybe the Wondras) scurry to hide his body, possibly moving it once they sobered up and could move it somewhere further away.

This interview made me more sure of two things - 1. that the Wondras have knowledge of what happened and 2. that the police have more information/evidence than we are aware of.

The interview did the exact opposite of "clear his name" if you ask me.

I just watched a news interview with Stacey Wondra on a show that I think is an MSM news channel but unsure if I can link it and don't know who to ask?

Anyhow it stated that LE say they have a sealed 'probable cause affidavit' naming the Wondras and at least one other person. So, what does LE do in these circumstances of a 'probable cause affidavit' - do they follow it up or do more interviews or what? /confused!

ETA: oh wait it was the same interview as posted above - here's the youtube version:

I just watched a news interview with Stacey Wondra on a show that I think is an MSM news channel but unsure if I can link it and don't know who to ask?

Anyhow it stated that LE say they have a sealed 'probable cause affidavit' naming the Wondras and at least one other person. So, what does LE do in these circumstances of a 'probable cause affidavit' - do they follow it up or do more interviews or what? /confused!

ETA: oh wait it was the same interview as posted above - here's the youtube version:

How interesting that in this self-serving interview, Stacey Wondra recalls the circumstances of driving back into the neighborhood on the night of the disappearance and hearing from people out searching that "a boy had been abducted or had been taken." Was it really thought that Michael Vaughn was abducted so early in the disappearance? He then apparently asked the reporter to clarify that he had only heard the boy was "missing" so I guess he realized how bad that sounded.

@Observe_dont_Absorb if police have a sealed probable cause affidavit that could mean that one or more arrests are imminent. They've prepared a document that lays out objective evidence against the person(s) named in support of an arrest.

The one thing that this interview does is confirm that the Wondras were out and about driving around before and after the time of M's disappearance by their own admission and in this regard they've placed themselves firmly in and around the scene in vehicles. As opposed to saying nope we stayed home all day watching TV.

JMO MOO

Wondra said he, Shurtliff and Sarah Wondra left their house and headed to Kuna to tow Shurtliff's car between 5:30 p.m. and 6 p.m. on July 27, 2021. Shurtliff blew a spark plug and couldn't drive the car, he said.

Fruitland police believe Vaughan went missing between 6:40 p.m. and 7 p.m.

Stacey Wondra said when they got back, sometime between 9 and 10 p.m. that night, they noticed an excessive amount of people walking around the neighborhood down Eighth Street.

"We had stopped and asked what was going on and they said that a boy had been abducted or been taken, and it was news to me and it was news to Sarah, from what it seemed like, and Brandon," Wondra said. "We then carried on and went home and at the time we got home, Brandon and Sarah decided they were going to go look for the boy and I was in the process of getting the vehicle detached from the truck because it was taking up the whole length of the street pretty much."

I don't believe a word Stacey says. I think they saw Michael walking and lured him into their car.

The day after he spoke to Romero, Wondra gave a YouTuber a new piece of information: He, Shurtliff and Sarah Wondra pulled over at Southwest Eighth Street and South Arizona Avenue to put power-steering fluid in the car right after they left for Kuna the day Vaughan was abducted.

He said they saw a child playing by himself on the sidewalk down the street on Southwest Eighth Street between South Arizona Avenue and South Washington Avenue, which is around the corner from the Vaughans' home.

Wondra struggled to recall the memory but said the child was playing with something and stated it was not Vaughan.

"The kid I saw did not depict Michael at all. The kid I saw looked like he had very dark hair like mine," Wondra said. "It didn't look like a 5-year-old kid at all. I'd say, if I had to guess, maybe 7, 8, 9. He wasn't a little kid, you know what I mean? That's why I said it didn't concern me, he was out and about doing his thing."

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NomDePlumme
Back