Meet & Greet for New Members #3

is it weird to say “I’m excited to be here”? But I am. There’s so many people (including my SO) who don’t understand my obsession with true crime. I know that sounds gratuitous (and maybe it is a small % of the time) but mostly I’m an empath. I have always had a heightened awareness about evil and what lurks in the shadows. I genuinely feel for the people (and their families) who may succumb to such tragedies. Like most of the people in this group I’m inquisitive and will easily fall down a rabbit hole for hours researching a case I heard about. I would love nothing more than to put my obsession to good use & actually help find a missing, harmed, or worst yet, deceased, person.

With all of that said, any advice for a newbie?
I don’t think that’s weird. Of course, I’m an anthropologist. What many people consider weird, we just call “Thursday”. In seriousness, I offer my only advice, poke around, read some thread or topic titles, sometimes you’re going to see a latest post bumping a thread, often a Missing But Not Forgotten thread, and clicking there might jog a memory, spark an idea or raise a question, and who knows where the replies might lead us. There are more rabbit holes here than there were at the Berlin Wall.

How do I go about getting help on here solving my Grandma’s cold case murder? I just discovered y’all & I have no idea how this works! I’m familiarizing now…

Welcome to Websleuths!

To start a thread, you need a link to a main stream media article, an LE report, or a NAMUS listing. Doe Network & Charley Project are OK if there is no NAMUS.

If the cae is older, probably a scan of a newspaper clipping with citation would be OK.

You'll find interested posters here!

jmho ymmv lrr

Welcome to WS. I’ve followed several cases in MS and been to Biloxi.

Thank you for the add…I’m a true crime fan (docuseries, cold case, etc)…I’m currently watching Jackpot Murder on Web of Death & had to join…y’all are awesome & am glad to be a part of the team
Welcome! It’s a really unique website and the members make it special, really glad you found your way here!

is it weird to say “I’m excited to be here”? But I am. There’s so many people (including my SO) who don’t understand my obsession with true crime. I know that sounds gratuitous (and maybe it is a small % of the time) but mostly I’m an empath. I have always had a heightened awareness about evil and what lurks in the shadows. I genuinely feel for the people (and their families) who may succumb to such tragedies. Like most of the people in this group I’m inquisitive and will easily fall down a rabbit hole for hours researching a case I heard about. I would love nothing more than to put my obsession to good use & actually help find a missing, harmed, or worst yet, deceased, person.

With all of that said, any advice for a newbie?
Hi there! I've always been a true crime enthusiast. Not because of all the brutality but because of human behaviour and the age-old discussion of "Nature VS Nurture".

<modsnip>

Last edited by a moderator:
How do I go about getting help on here solving my Grandma’s cold case murder? I just discovered y’all & I have no idea how this works! I’m familiarizing now…
To add to @Laughing’s great advice, if you haven’t discovered it already, WS has a search function. It looks like a magnifying glass in the top right corner. You can type your Grandma’s name there to check if there is already a thread about her here. WS has an abundance of cold case discussion threads!
Welcome to Websleuths! I hope you are finding your way around the site by now, and that you will someday find the answers that you seek.

Hi everyone, I'm new to Websleuths, but I've been a long-time lurker. I'm excited to finally be able to participate in the discussions and learn from all of you. I'm particularly interested in true crime cases, and I'm hoping to find some new cases to investigate. )

Hi there. I am from Alberta Canada.

I'm new. Found out about this site from watching Web of Death. I had to join because I've always wanted to be part of something like this.

I may have a case to post. Just need to do some research on it. I followed it while it was happening but lost track after it went cold.

Look forward to working with you. :)

This is for a friend of mine: Do you cover cases in the UK ???

This is for a friend of mine: Do you cover cases in the UK ???
Welcome to Ws!
Yes, there are many UK threads here, you can check out some at this link, but if there is a particular case you have in mind but no thread, one could be started if you post some info.(from newspapers, police bulletins) etc. about it..

Tons of case threads from all over the world at this link below..

Hi everyone,

A big Welcome to all of our new members.

If you're wondering where to start and what you might do to help, you could try picking any case in the Missing forums or the Cold Case forums, and just hop on in. Maybe check around on the internet through reputable sources (i.e. MSM, LE) to see if you can find updates on any of the cases and post any new info you find.

The Missing Forums
The Cold Case Forums

Or perhaps you could post just a message of support and encouragement to the family to let them know their loved one is not forgotten and that someone is discussing their case. It doesn't cost anything other than a minute of your time, and it can help a family member's heart to know that people still care.

A great spot to browse for forum help is Forum Finesse where there is a ton of information on how various things work at Websleuths.

Be sure to check out our Terms of Service (aka The Rules). While they may seem strict compared to some other sites, it is what keeps Websleuths as factual and civilized as possible, and truly the most respected site within the true crime discussion community.

Again, Welcome and Thank You for joining Websleuths.

Sillybilly :)
WS Administrator

Hey all. I work in crisis mental health, but initially had a dream of being a forensic profiler but didn't continue on to get a Doctorate (yet). I was exploring the utility of discussing cases with GPT 4 AI, when it eventually recommended I check out this site. Until now I've not had an avenue for my passion for forensic science and constructing profiles to find new leads. I like the idea of looking outside of the box at information that may otherwise be underutilized. I've decided to look at cold missing person cases from my area and see if there's anything I could utilize the internet for. There's only a handful in my area as I live among smaller communities in the Columbia Gorge east of Portland Oregon. I've been checking out a case from 2004 that I'd love to get advice about.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Missletoes
Back