Abby & Libby - The Delphi Murders - Richard Allen Arrested - #183

Status
Not open for further replies.
The more I learn about that issue, the less I know.
What is a test fired cartridge case? That's what was entered into the IBIS database.
How are they able to compare that to the cycled casing?
I believe it's not for comparison purposes, not in this case, but for data storage and future comparisons and studies. For example, RA could have shot someone sometime and left a spent casing that could be matched. Just a guess.
IBIS is an ATF image database (oversimplified). Read more here

How many coincidences are too many?

If that casing can't be proven to be a match to his gun, I don't think that a gun-owning man in "Indiana man uniform" out in a public place on the same day girls were kidnapped and killed there is a coincidence. It doesn't even rise to that level. It's just...a thing.

IMO MOO

I have learned through following this trial that people find bullets/casings in the woods all the time when trekking/hiking. And also that a lot of people did shooting around there.

I have no opinion about the markings as I know nothing about guns, but I look forward to hearing an expert talk about it.
Casings, some. I’ve found IIRC two unfired .22 rounds in the woods. I’ve lived all but 20 of my 74 years in Appalachia, where the .22 is king. Lots of tromping through the bush. I’ve never found anything else in an unfired condition. No 12 gauge. Nothing else, no matter how common.

Odds of finding any pistol round unfired anywhere out there have to be tiny. People who carry semiautos seldom carry their spare ammo loose in a pocket as can happen with that .22. Those extra rounds are in a spare magazine. That’s what falls out of your pocket if anything does.

And, again, we’re talking about an unfired but ejected round between two murder victims in a caliber owned by the accused. The marks at least superficially appear a perfect match, not just for that model, but for that specific serial number.

It should strain credulity. Should.

And, again, we’re talking about an unfired but ejected round between two murder victims in a caliber owned by the accused. The marks at least superficially appear a perfect match, not just for that model, but for that specific serial number.
I actually find the fact that it is the same brand of ammo about as compelling as shady unfired round comparisons. That was my new discovery of the day. It appears that both the CS round and the ammo loaded in RA's mags were CCI Blazer.

Last edited:
Casings, some. I’ve found IIRC two unfired .22 rounds in the woods. I’ve lived all but 20 of my 74 years in Appalachia, where the .22 is king. Lots of tromping through the bush. I’ve never found anything else in an unfired condition. No 12 gauge. Nothing else, no matter how common.
Poor varmints. I find a lot of unfired rounds, I found a 9mm just the other day in a parking lot. I think a lot of the ones that are found out exploring, especially .22, are from ejected misfires and cleared jams.

I actually find the fact that it is the same brand of ammo about as compelling as shady unfired round comparisons. That was my new discovery of the day. It appears that both the CS round and the ammo loaded in RA's mags were CCI Blazer.

Can you explain why you feel this way? I don't know what you mean because I have no knowledge of guns.

I was thinking about this last night - RA is in a cell, eating his disclosure, covering himself in his own crap and eating it along with "other socially undesirable behaviors" per a recent filing by his lawyers. He clearly has some major mental health issues, and there was at least one call to LE to attend his home before the arrest during or after which his wife took him to the hospital. How stable do we imagine RA is at this point and how eager would you be to live beside him with your kids if he ends up found not guilty and released back into society?

Delphi murder suspect wants prison confessions thrown out
BBM

That incident was in 2015.

The sheriff’s office was dispatched just after 3:30 in the morning on June 18, 2015, according to records obtained by FOX59. The sheriff said Allen was allegedly drunk and his wife took him to a Lafayette-area hospital for a medical evaluation.

I don’t always buy the same brand of Bran Flakes. Not sure what I bought in mid February 2017.

BBM

That incident was in 2015.

The sheriff’s office was dispatched just after 3:30 in the morning on June 18, 2015, according to records obtained by FOX59. The sheriff said Allen was allegedly drunk and his wife took him to a Lafayette-area hospital for a medical evaluation.

There must of been a lot more to it than just being “drunk” as millions drink too much a day and don’t end up needing a medical evaluation.

So already displaying signs of disturbing behavior in 2015 imo

Last edited:
IMO, it's interesting that Barb McD continues to connect Judge Diener's 7-day-notice to the Delphi case.

Loretta Rush, referenced in the resignation Diener letter, is the Chief Justice of the Indiana Supreme Court.

(The Indiana Supreme Court reviews cases referred to them by the Indiana Office of Judicial and Attorney Regulation and determines sanctions if any. )
Judicial disciplinary process

jmho
Adding another article/another source:

MSN

The original judge on the Delphi murders case stepped down this week with just a few days notice.

Carroll County Circuit Court Judge Benjamin Diener’s last day was Tuesday, April 30.

He is currently on the ballot for the May 7 primary, running for re-election as the county’s Circuit Court judge.

On April 23, Diener notified Gov. Eric Holcomb of his plans to resign in seven days. Diener wrote, “Having served a judge for nearly twelve years, I have accomplished all of my professional goals and embrace the uncertainty of whatever comes next.”

Diener also noted that he would not be available to serve as either a senior judge or a judge pro tempore — roles where former judges often serve as temporary judges to fill various needs.

FWIW:
The Diener resignation seems abrupt. A 7 day notice from Diener (relatively young guy) who clearly had other plans when he put himself on the ballot for this week's re-election ... is also .. peculiar. He's on the ballot for re-election for Judge. But he's now suddenly not running. Nor will he ever be available for judging in the future. Quote "I have accomplished all my professional goals and embrace the uncertainty of whatever comes next".

Very cryptic. JMHO

Adding another article/another source:

MSN

FWIW:
The Diener resignation seems abrupt. A 7 day notice from Diener (relatively young guy) who clearly had other plans when he put himself on the ballot for this week's re-election ... is also .. peculiar. He's on the ballot for re-election for Judge. But he's now suddenly not running. Nor will he ever be available for judging in the future. Quote "I have accomplished all my professional goals and embrace the uncertainty of whatever comes next".

Very cryptic. JMHO
Sounds like he knows he's gettin' in some trouble....

IMO bbm

The more I learn about that issue, the less I know.

What is a test fired cartridge case? That's what was entered into the IBIS database.
How are they able to compare that to the cycled casing?

Page 278 Certificate of Analysis
A cycled casing is hit by the ejector pin and sent out the ejector port of the weapon.

When you fire a weapon, the bullet goes downrange and obtains "lands & grooves" that are often used to identify the weapon and barrel through which it passed. The casing would also be struck on the rear by the firing pin (which has no bearing upon tool marking left by 'cycling').

The casing of that fired round will be picked up by the ejector pin and sent out the ejector port of the weapon --- obtaining the same markings by those actions as an unfired round which is ejected from (aka cycled through) the weapon. Those (cycling/ejection) are the process markings that will be relevant in this case.

IMO.

Sounds like he knows he's gettin' in some trouble....

IMO bbm
Well ... .he acknowledges he's not doing any more judicial work.
And ... he acknowledges he's "embracing uncertainty"
And ... he's met all his personal career goals.
So ... does he have no further personal career goals?

Why share that you're "embracing uncertainty" in a resignation statement to the Indiana Governor copy the Chief of the Indiana Supreme Court?

I'm just sayin'.

The IN Gov and the Chief Supreme were both expecting this letter. IMO

JMHO

Yeah I can't figure it out either. As the owner of a few semis, we tend to stick with the ammo we like and that gets us results.
I have many semi-autos in many different calibers and the only ones I absolutely hate shooting are the 40's. In 20 years I still have almost half a box of the only .40 S&W ammo I ever used. And that was before I got arthritis. :p

A cycled casing is hit by the ejector pin and sent out the ejector port of the weapon.

When you fire a weapon, the bullet goes downrange and obtains "lands & grooves" that are often used to identify the weapon and barrel through which it passed. The casing would also be struck on the rear by the firing pin (which has no bearing upon tool marking left by 'cycling').

The casing of that fired round will be picked up by the ejector pin and sent out the ejector port of the weapon --- obtaining the same markings by those actions as an unfired round which is ejected from (aka cycled through) the weapon. Those (cycling/ejection) are the process markings that will be relevant in this case.

IMO.
So, are the ejector mark and the ejection port mark individualized to each gun so that no two are alike?

There must of been a lot more to it than just being “drunk” as millions drink too much a day and don’t end up needing a medical evaluation.

So already displaying disturbing behavior in 2015 imo
Agree but I once had to go to the ER after three glasses of wine. Sulfites, mad sulfites. Oh, and it didn’t interact well with the Sri Lankan curry. No cops called but husband took me in. Could be some bad juice. Did she call police specifically or did she call 911?
Not a fan of RA — just don’t want to make something of one incident involving alcohol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drena519