Australia - 3 dead after eating wild mushrooms, Leongatha, Victoria, Aug 2023 #6 *Arrest*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Imported mushrooms may contain deadly bacteria, but they are hardly being screened​

Behind a paywall, I think. Posting it here for those who subscribe.

The article mostly speaks of listeria that "could" be imported on enoki mushrooms ... because that has happened in the US and Canada.
Cooking the mushrooms at a high temperature reduces any risk of listeria.

It also speaks of salmonella being caused among 40 diners in the US in 2020, from dried wood ear mushrooms.

I was thinking this may be a defence for EP - but after reading the article, I think it is likely that death cap mushroom poisoning looks very different from listeria and salmonella under the lab microscope and in its deadly effects on the body.

The article does not say that any death cap mushrooms have ever been found in imported mushrooms anywhere.
To me it seems that it is about bacteria (and that may occur during shipping and storage).

imo

Erin Patterson, the woman accused of murdering and attempting to murder her relatives by serving them a meal laced with deadly mushrooms, is expected to face court again on Monday. (today)

Patterson is expected to face Monday’s hearing in the Latrobe Valley magistrates court via video link at about 10am.

The matter is listed for an application and a committal mention.

Patterson will be appearing before Magistrate Tim Walsh.

Erin Patterson’s lawyers fail to appear at Latrobe Valley Magistrates’ Court for special mention​

The first court appearance of accused triple murderer Erin Patterson in five months has hit a speed bump after her high-profile legal team failed to appear.

Ashley Argoon and Brooke Grebert-Craig

April 22, 2024 - 10:46AM

Paywalled

New Headline

Accused mushroom killer asks for case to be heard in Latrobe Valley Magistrates’ Court​

Accused triple murderer Erin Patterson has asked for her case be heard at the Latrobe Valley Magistrates’ Court, but a judge has warned she will face a 14-month delay due to the “voluminous” quantity of evidence.

Ashley Argoon and Brooke Grebert-Craig

3 min read
April 22, 2024 - 11:13AM

Last edited:

Erin Patterson wants to remain behind bars for more than a year in the hope of standing trial closer to her local community.

Patterson, 48, appeared before the LaTrobe Valley Magistrates' Court on Monday via videolink for a special hearing.

Dressed in blue prison garb and spectacles, Patterson was represented in court by barrister Colin Mandy, SC, who will now represent her in what is anticipated to be a three-week committal hearing.

I guess the silk showed up after all...........

So EP has switched lawyers. I guess that may have been what the application was about, in today's hearing. An application to notify the court of a change in lawyers. imo

Colin Mandy SC is affiliated with Parnell's Barristers (he is Chair), and he is Vice President of the Victorian Bar.
A recommendation on his LinkedIn page calls him "a very tough opponent" in court.

Last edited:
I think it is likely that her lawyer thinks that trying to stay local would be the best thing for EP. Even if she has to wait 14 months for her hearing. That is asking a lot, so the motivation to stay local must be pretty strong. imo

The defence have seen the police brief now. Have had it since March. They now know whatever it is that they are up against.

I agree. From what I've read I get the impression that she kept a fairly small circle of acquaintances. I'm not so sure she'd get the sort of support that she may imagine in regional VIC.

Her lawyers may be behind this plan.
Maybe she’s trying to wait it out to see if Pastor Ian Wilkinson will die before the matter goes to trial?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gooniesforever