Back Yard Motion light

dizzychick

Reaction score
seems like I read early on that the Routier's had a motion light over the garage in the back of the house, when the cop showed up he asked Darlie where this elusive killer went and she said out the back. The cop said the light was off and when he went out back it tripped this light. So later cops did a test and found out the light stayed on for 15 minutes after it was set off. This means the light should have been on when the cop went out back looking for the killer.

Does anyone else remember this? I cannot seem to find it now. If this is true it would be one of the little things a person forgets when staging a crime scene. This would have been a huge red flag if I was a juror on the case.

seems like I read early on that the Routier's had a motion light over the garage in the back of the house, when the cop showed up he asked Darlie where this elusive killer went and she said out the back. The cop said the light was off and when he went out back it tripped this light. So later cops did a test and found out the light stayed on for 15 minutes after it was set off. This means the light should have been on when the cop went out back looking for the killer.

Does anyone else remember this? I cannot seem to find it now. If this is true it would be one of the little things a person forgets when staging a crime scene. This would have been a huge red flag if I was a juror on the case.

Yes, I remember it, and just as you say, it was a motion sensor light that stayed on , I think 15 minutes sounds about right.

This gave me another thought, when the sock was disposed of in the alley that would have triggered the light as well, right? So this was done early enough that it allowed the light to go off before the 911 call, or at least before the officers arrived. Was there a way to manually switch off the light? Does anyone remember anything being said about this in the trial or elsewhere?

Last edited:
Yes, I remember it, and just as you say, it was a motion sensor light that stayed on , I think 15 minutes sounds about right.

This gave me another thought, when the sock was disposed of in the alley that would have triggered the light as well, right? So this was done early enough that it allowed the light to go off before the 911 call, or at least before the officers arrived. Was there a way to manually switch off the light? Does anyone remember anything being said about this in the trial or elsewhere?
good point!

I read that, too, but would the light have been set off if she went out the front door to plant the sock?
I don’t know how it would, I guess it never occurred to me she may have gone out the front door.

I was wondering this exact thing. In fact, it seems to me that the light would have come on when the killer walked through the fence and cut the screen. If Darlie or the boys had been awake, they might have seen him in the backyard.

She also could have seen him on his way out if she just looked out the kitchen window. The way she describes the distance between them, she probably reached the point to see out of the kitchen window just as he was leaving through the garage window. No way to miss that movement in the yard if the floodlight is on, but Darlie described everything as dark except for the light from the TV.

What I wonder is how the killer had the opportunity to even see the open window when you can't see that window unless you go in the backyard, which is surrounded by what looks like a 8ft fence. Could be higher, I don't know. You can't see through the fence, so how likely will a killer risk opening the gate or jumping the fence when a security light just came on JUST so he can check for open windows while the light remains on? Plus, how does he know it was an automatic light if someone turned it on because they saw him? Awfully risky if you don't even know there's access to the house back there.

If the light stays on 15 minutes, the light would have been on from the moment the killer was in the yard to enter the house until the moment he left. I don't know if the light adds time if it experiences more movement or not.

The crime probably took 5 minutes -- if that much. I say that because Jodi Arias killed Travis Alexander three different ways in under 2 minutes.

The first cop got there at about almost 4 minutes into the 911 call. He did not testify to seeing a light on in the driveway. But he was not asked, either.

The neighbor across the street who saw Darin outside when the first cop arrived did not mention the driveway floodlight being on either. Again, he was not asked and didn't volunteer any information about it.

I have not read the testimony of other cops yet, but the first cop, went half way into the kitchen, saw the utility door to the garage closed, and did not go any further until the second cop arrived. He didn't indicate that he looked out the kitchen window or saw anything unusual or lit up outside, either.

Upon the arrival of the second cop, which I believe was about almost 6 minutes into the 911 call and at its conclusion, the two cops checked the garage and then went and checked upstairs. They said it was dark in the garage. The garage has a ton of windows and no curtains. At roughly 11 minutes after the killer first got there, wouldn't they have seen a floodlight coming into the garage?

The second cop went outside after searching upstairs. The search could not have taken four minutes, so the cop should have seen a light on still. I have not read the second cop's testimony yet to see what he says about the light.

Did you guys know that house had an alarm system? Yep. Sure did.

So I'm reading officer 2's statement.

He says he went directly out the front door and around to the gate after checking the garage, so I got that wrong when I said they went upstairs next. Maybe officer 1 did go upstairs with a different officer. Officer 2 did get find officer 3 pulling up and got him to go to the backyard with him.

The Auto light was off until Officer 2 walked up to the spa. So apparently, this light had not been tripped prior.

the second office also said in trial that they did experiments and figured out how to make the light not come on when you enter the yard and go to the window. So it's possible not to trip the light, but what are the odds that the "intruder" entered and exited that way? and in trial, it says 18 minutes is how long the light stayed on.

That's why I believe she went out the front door to drop the sock in the alley. There was also that gate in the back that was broken and dragged on the ground. It was completely closed when cops got there. I don't believe she would have struggled with the broken gate.

The security lights were on the SPA and not the garage, which is out back anyway so no one could see a light from the front, the neighbour, the first cop etc. The only way to not trigger the security lights on the spa was to go through that mulch to the fence.

Where is the testimony or photo of the security lights location? I've been looking for that.

My point about not triggering the lights is what are the odds that a stranger is going to know how to not trigger them unless they know they were there and how to get around them?

ETA--Found it!

13261806_f520.jpg

Came from this article.

The Disputed Conviction of Darlie Lynn Routier

Last edited:
stateexhibit13d.jpg

Here's the gate the intruder came in, you can see how stepping on that pavement would trigger the security lights. The lights were not on when the first cops arrived.

Officer Walling said that he and Darsel Moore walked all through the back yard, back and forth, up and down all sides and the light never came on. It did come on when he walked to the spa door and stood under the light sensor.

I know that everyone believes the so called intruder left out the back door since that was what Darlie told them. What if she was wrong and the intruder left out of the front door? I can see that the so called intruder came in thru the garage window but if he left out of the front door the back yard light would not have come on at all. Also I think whomever left the sock exited the house via the front door because going thru the broken gate in the backyard would take too long and be hard to open.

I do recall the motion/security light not being on when the first officer said he arrived and a test being done later in the investigation to see how it would have been activated and the length of time the light actually stayed on once activated. It's just another piece of the puzzle, that only confirms her guilt.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kayjay90
Back