CA CA/OH/LA/MS/TX - SAMUEL LITTLE, aka Samuel McDowell, 1970's thru 2012, Serial Killer

Can we go into the missing files for these states and help identify possible victims

• Total voters
This is on NamUs front page right now:

"New details released in unsolved Samuel Little murders

AUSTIN – The Texas Rangers, the Federal Bureau of Investigation’s Violent Criminal Apprehension Program and the United States Department of Justice are releasing new details in more than a dozen unsolved murders committed by serial killer Samuel Little, AKA Samuel McDowell, in hopes of bringing closure to these cases.

“The information contained in these narratives could be the missing piece to solving some of these murders,” said DPS Director Steven McCraw. “It’s critical that anyone with information comes forward, as time is running out.”

Little was interviewed extensively by Texas Ranger James Holland from June 2018 to shortly before his death in December 2020. During the course of these interviews, Little confessed to committing 93 murders between 1970 and 2005. More than 60 of Little's confessions have been definitively matched to victims through DNA evidence and/or extensively corroborated interviews.

Little had a photographic memory and was able to describe where he met and killed the victims, where he left their bodies and what the victims looked like. Little lacked the ability to accurately judge timeframes and distance. At times, Little was proven to be off by more than 10 years and 40 miles. Therefore, years and distances provided in the linked narratives should not be considered definitive. Little stated he strangled all of his victims, with the exception of two who were drowned, and was adamant he never shot or stabbed them. Investigators say the manner in which Little killed his victims was more reminiscent to suffocation then strangulation, in that several of his victims did not have broken or fractured hyoid bones in the throat. Multiple victims' deaths were misclassified in autopsy reports and listed as drug overdoses or natural deaths.

Little was incarcerated during the below periods (six months or more):
  • 05/28/1971 - 03/14/1972
  • 11/25/1982 - 01/18/1984
  • 10/25/1984 - 02/01/1987
  • 06/05/1988 - 04/11/1989
  • 06/20/1990 - 12/09/1990
  • 01/15/1998 - 04/26/2002
All unmatched murders occurred between 1970 and 1997. This includes five cases in Florida; two cases in Louisiana; one case in Cincinnati, Ohio; one case in Knoxville, Tenn.; 16 cases in Los Angeles, Calif.; one case in Las Vegas, Nev.; one case in Charleston, S.C.; one case in Gulfport, Miss.; and three cases in Georgia.

Detailed information and photos for these cases can be found on the DPS website.

If you have any information you believe will help investigators solve any of these cases, please contact the Texas Rangers at rangers@dps.texas.gov or 1-512-424-2160, or the FBI at 1-800-CALL-FBI or tips.fbi.gov."

AUSTIN – The Texas Rangers, the Federal Bureau of Investigation’s Violent Criminal Apprehension Program and the United States Department of Justice are releasing new details in more than a dozen unsolved murders committed by serial killer Samuel Little, AKA Samuel McDowell, in hopes of bringing closure to these cases.

“The information contained in these narratives could be the missing piece to solving some of these murders,” said DPS Director Steven McCraw. “It’s critical that anyone with information comes forward, as time is running out.”

Little was interviewed extensively by Texas Ranger James Holland from June 2018 to shortly before his death in December 2020. During the course of these interviews, Little confessed to committing 93 murders between 1970 and 2005. More than 60 of Little's confessions have been definitively matched to victims through DNA evidence and/or extensively corroborated interviews.

Little had a photographic memory and was able to describe where he met and killed the victims, where he left their bodies and what the victims looked like. Little lacked the ability to accurately judge timeframes and distance. At times, Little was proven to be off by more than 10 years and 40 miles. Therefore, years and distances provided in the linked narratives should not be considered definitive. Little stated he strangled all of his victims, with the exception of two who were drowned, and was adamant he never shot or stabbed them. Investigators say the manner in which Little killed his victims was more reminiscent to suffocation then strangulation, in that several of his victims did not have broken or fractured hyoid bones in the throat. Multiple victims' deaths were misclassified in autopsy reports and listed as drug overdoses or natural deaths.

All unmatched murders occurred between 1970 and 1997. This includes five cases in Florida; two cases in Louisiana; one case in Cincinnati, Ohio; one case in Knoxville, Tenn.; 16 cases in Los Angeles, Calif.; one case in Las Vegas, Nev.; one case in Charleston, S.C.; one case in Gulfport, Miss.; and three cases in Georgia.

Detailed information and photos for these cases can be found on the DPS website.

If you have any information you believe will help investigators solve any of these cases, please contact the Texas Rangers at rangers@dps.texas.gov or 1-512-424-2160, or the FBI at 1-800-CALL-FBI or tips.fbi.gov."
Thank you:)

I never liked Little's poor attempt at "artwork" - Personally I think he was terrible at drawing. He drew all of the faces the same shape. The facial features are all almost exactly alike. There's a lot of generalization but not a lot of individualization. A few specifics possibly. Wasn't impressed then and still am not.

A more detailed list of information on the cases (it's already posted in the quoted post, but I think it deserves its own post):
New Details Released in Unsolved Samuel Little Murders | Department of Public Safety

Last edited:
CRIME HUNTER: More murders from worst serial killer in U.S. history?
Dec 11, 2021

bh5-e1632427839547.jpg

A composite of Clara Birdlong and her alleged killer, Samuel Little. Photo by HANDOUT /FB
"And he likely wasn’t caught because he was killing mostly Black drug addicts, sex workers and other women on society’s fringes. The murders themselves were paid little attention because of who the victims were.''

Does anyone want to join a discord chat to take a deep dive into the new information released regarding Samuel Little and his victims and some of the unmatched confessions? I have begun scanning Newspapers.com and have found some stories of potential victims that align with some of the new information released for some of the victims from Los Angeles.

Is there a place that has a comprehensive list of which murders/rapes he has been connected to throughout the entire US?

Does anyone want to join a discord chat to take a deep dive into the new information released regarding Samuel Little and his victims and some of the unmatched confessions? I have begun scanning Newspapers.com and have found some stories of potential victims that align with some of the new information released for some of the victims from Los Angeles.

Is there a place that has a comprehensive list of which murders/rapes he has been connected to throughout the entire US?

Offer still stands! I have begun combining all the timelines/known victims/locations into a comprehensive document.

I noticed this unidentified white female added to Doe Network: 1668UFFL

She was between 30 and 60 years and found in July 1973 in Kendall Lakes, Florida. I am not sure but she could be the Kendall, Florida victim Little confessed to killing that same year, according to his Wiki page:
'Approximately 45, possibly from Massachusetts. Both 1973 victims are described to possibly have the first name "Sarah".'

Age range, race, location, year all check out. Cause of death unknown, but probably hard to tell with decomposition. I'm going to submit it as possible match.

I noticed this unidentified white female added to Doe Network: 1668UFFL

She was between 30 and 60 years and found in July 1973 in Kendall Lakes, Florida. I am not sure but she could be the Kendall, Florida victim Little confessed to killing that same year, according to his Wiki page:
'Approximately 45, possibly from Massachusetts. Both 1973 victims are described to possibly have the first name "Sarah".'

Age range, race, location, year all check out. Cause of death unknown, but probably hard to tell with decomposition. I'm going to submit it as possible match.
Good catch. They seem one and the same.

At the time of his death on Dec 30th 2020, of 93 murders he confessed to, 60 have been confirmed so far. He had an impressive memory of the cases and drew amazingly accurate images of the women he killed. This is an interesting interview with him

I went ahead and submitted https:///wiki/Debra_Houston as being a possible victim of Little. Specifically, the possible Houston, Texas victim: Unmatched Confession: Black female between 25-28 years old killed between 1976 and 1979 or in 1993.

Debra disappeared from Houston in 1989, during a time period when Little was known not to have been incarcerated. When she was found in 1996, 6 years after, the manner of death was thought to be drug related or accidental (this was a common death diagnose as with other victims of his).
Debra Jean Houston, 29: Missing From Texas Since 1989 • Our Black Girls
Going off this link, it seems she was last seen at Hughes Lounge, a bar. Like many other victims, Little often picked his victims that he met at bars. She was found 7+ hours from where she disappeared from. For a traveling and mobile killer who would sometimes spend days with a victims before killing them, this geographical distance wouldn't be uncommon for Little.
Age range is late 20s, exactly like Debra (29 when she disappeared). His recollection of the time period is pretty spotty for this victim, moreso than most others, so I didn't factor year in much.

df9a9ddc-2a7e-4dca-a225-e622677ab3a8.jpeg
Side by side comparison seems to show similar hair style and length. I don't have too much other info to go on, but it's worth a shot.

Looks like https:///wiki/Crittenden_County_Jane_Doe_(1990), found in July 1990, has been identified as Zena Maria Jones. Seems like the family had suspected she was a victim of Little back in 2019, but now finally have conclusive proof. Zena would have been 62 this year. Rest in peace, Zena.

I went ahead and submitted https:///wiki/Debra_Houston as being a possible victim of Little. Specifically, the possible Houston, Texas victim: Unmatched Confession: Black female between 25-28 years old killed between 1976 and 1979 or in 1993.

Debra disappeared from Houston in 1989, during a time period when Little was known not to have been incarcerated. When she was found in 1996, 6 years after, the manner of death was thought to be drug related or accidental (this was a common death diagnose as with other victims of his).
Debra Jean Houston, 29: Missing From Texas Since 1989 • Our Black Girls
Going off this link, it seems she was last seen at Hughes Lounge, a bar. Like many other victims, Little often picked his victims that he met at bars. She was found 7+ hours from where she disappeared from. For a traveling and mobile killer who would sometimes spend days with a victims before killing them, this geographical distance wouldn't be uncommon for Little.
Age range is late 20s, exactly like Debra (29 when she disappeared). His recollection of the time period is pretty spotty for this victim, moreso than most others, so I didn't factor year in much.

df9a9ddc-2a7e-4dca-a225-e622677ab3a8.jpeg
Side by side comparison seems to show similar hair style and length. I don't have too much other info to go on, but it's worth a shot.
I think I have found a possible match to the south carolina confession the date and location is off but little has been known to be off with that before. The facial resemblance is really close as well as her being found in a grassy field near a military base like fort jackson and a highway like Interstate 20. The height weight and age range are similar to littles confession.
The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)
185UFSC

I think I have found a possible match to the south carolina confession the date and location is off but little has been known to be off with that before. The facial resemblance is really close as well as her being found in a grassy field near a military base like fort jackson and a highway like Interstate 20. The height weight and age range are similar to littles confession.
The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)
185UFSC
Only issue I see would be the timetable when they were killed.
Seems Little was incarcerated during the last half of 1988 but I would still recommend submitting as a possible match either way!

Only issue I see would be the timetable when they were killed.
Seems Little was incarcerated during the last half of 1988 but I would still recommend submitting as a possible match either way!
Its also worth mentioning the littles other known south carolina victim evelyn wetson was also found in richland county the same county this doe was found in and near fort jackson and interstate 20.

I am not fully up to date with Samuel Little's victims so forgive me if this had been talked about before but according to the report sent out last year, a Jane Doe matches one of his victims.

I think she could be a match for this woman.
mini

Her report can be found in this report mentioned at the top of this page:
He said she was 5'5 - 5'6, this woman was measured at 5'7. The age range for this Jane Doe is no entered for some reason. She was found in some bushes and Little says he left her in "elephant grass". He said he took this woman's pants off so she was found with just her shirt. Only a shirt and a necklace were found with her body. The sketch by Little depicts her having curly hair. If this depicts her hairstyle when he met her then this matches the Doe as she had curly hair.

It says in the report that Little took her "way out of the county". I wonder how far that could be. It could mean just an hour or two out or multiple hours away. I think she was found about 6 hours away from where he said he met her which could be enough to rule this out.

If location is too far then this Doe could match but she had pants on while Little said she didn't. Location is only about an hour though so who knows.

I am not fully up to date with Samuel Little's victims so forgive me if this had been talked about before but according to the report sent out last year, a Jane Doe matches one of his victims.

I think she could be a match for this woman.
mini

Her report can be found in this report mentioned at the top of this page:
He said she was 5'5 - 5'6, this woman was measured at 5'7. The age range for this Jane Doe is no entered for some reason. She was found in some bushes and Little says he left her in "elephant grass". He said he took this woman's pants off so she was found with just her shirt. Only a shirt and a necklace were found with her body. The sketch by Little depicts her having curly hair. If this depicts her hairstyle when he met her then this matches the Doe as she had curly hair.

It says in the report that Little took her "way out of the county". I wonder how far that could be. It could mean just an hour or two out or multiple hours away. I think she was found about 6 hours away from where he said he met her which could be enough to rule this out.

If location is too far then this Doe could match but she had pants on while Little said she didn't. Location is only about an hour though so who knows.
I misread. He took her way into the county. This doesn't jive as well but the fact she had no pants on is something distinct.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
softtaillover
Back