Identified! Canada - Toronto, Fem 20-40, Red Armani shirt, nail design, Dismem'd in bags, Mar'22 - Tien Ly

VIDEO

''Woman allegedly killed by son had called him lazy, court hears​

The sister of Tien Ly, who was allegedly killed by her son, Dallas, testified in court Monday that Ly called Dallas lazy and unintelligent. Dallas is accused of stabbing his mother to death in their Leslieville condo and dismembering her body in March 2022. CBC’s Talia Ricci has more from court.'

I find it strange that we’re not hearing about the Crown’s theory of the case, mainly we’re hearing about the defence.

And as Niner said, I also can’t find any reports of the case being resumed and no explanations for why the trial coverage hasn’t resumed. @cmcdonaldglobal on x/twitter (Catherine McDonald of Global News) said she’s attending the trial but she hasn’t reported anything since the first day. Dallas is set to testify, maybe there’s an issue? Or he’s considering a plea deal?

Although he has admitted it, he’s pleading Not Guilty.

Perhaps an NCR??

She was mean to me, I have PTSD sort of thing.

Don’t think there is any confusion about who killed her.

I am just going to "assume" they are back today...

Friday, May 3rd:
*Trial continues (Day 4) (@ am ET) - Canada – Thanh “Tien” Ly (46) (found Mar. 28, 2022 on a sidewalk in the area of Eastern & Berkshire avenues, west of Leslie Street, around 1:30pm in a garbage bag dismembered; ID'd on Mar. 31, 2022, Toronto) - *Dallas Ly (20/now 22) son arrested & charged (4/2/22) & arraigned (4/3/22) with 2nd degree murder. Plead not guilty. Remanded to custody (4/3/22).
Trial begin on 4/29/24.
Assistant Crown attorney Jay Spare. Defence lawyer Marco Sciarra.

Case & court info from 3/28/22 thru 4/3/22 & Trial Day 1 (4/29/24) reference post #70 here:
https://www.websleuths.com/forums/t...n-dismemd-in-bags-mar22-tien-ly.617112/page-4

4/30/24 Tuesday, Trial Day X: The trial was unexpectedly adjourned Tuesday & is set to resume on Wednesday, 5/1/24.
5/1/24 Wednesday, Trial Day 2: State witness: Sister of Tien. No other info yet. Trial continues on Thursday, 5/2/24.

5/2/24 Thursday, Trial Day 3: State witness: No info yet. Trial continues on Friday, 5/3/24.

CBC video of trial to date.

Trial will resume next Wednesday.

Too bad it is just a video - so I could get the names of the witnesses - oh well - better than nothing I guess! And thanks! :)

“Earlier in the week, Thanh’s sister — speaking through a Vietnamese interpreter — said she had been told by Thanh in the week she died that she was planning to throw Dallas out of her house.[…]

<Part of a message Dallas sent to a friend after the murder:>

“I felt bad for the boy who had this oppression, I really listened to myself once and this was the end result. I’m battered and beaten, bleeding a bit right now too but I feel free, I can breathe, … […]

On Thursday, the jury also saw security footage of Thanh returning home to her apartment on March 27, the day she is believed to have been killed. In the footage, she appears to have a suitcase and is carrying a coffee, waiting for an elevator in the building.

Then, in a video recorded around four hours later, Dallas can be seen getting into the elevator wearing black, with a backpack and a shopping cart. The footage shown in court shows Dallas leaving the elevator and then taking the cart south on Carlaw Avenue.”

Video report at link.

Wednesday, May 8th:
*Trial continues (Day 5) (@ am ET) - Canada – Thanh “Tien” Ly (46) (found Mar. 28, 2022 on a sidewalk in the area of Eastern & Berkshire avenues, west of Leslie Street, around 1:30pm in a garbage bag dismembered; ID'd on Mar. 31, 2022, Toronto) - *Dallas Ly (20/now 22) son arrested & charged (4/2/22) & arraigned (4/3/22) with 2nd degree murder. Plead not guilty. Remanded to custody (4/3/22).
Trial began on 4/29/24.

Case & court info from 3/28/22 thru 4/3/22 & Trial Days 1 (4/29-5/1/24) reference post #84 here:
https://www.websleuths.com/forums/t...n-dismemd-in-bags-mar22-tien-ly.617112/page-5

5/2/24 Thursday, Trial Day 3: State witnesses: Forensics analysts. Ly’s Aunts (Tien’s sisters). No other info yet. Trial continues on Friday, 5/3/24.
5/3/24 Friday, Trial Day 4: State witnesses: Frances Nguyen, works in salon. Silke Lozier & 2 other friends of Dallas’ No other info available.
for more info see posts #85 & 87 here:
https://www.websleuths.com/forums/t...n-dismemd-in-bags-mar22-tien-ly.617112/page-5
Trial continues on Wednesday, 5/8/24.

Thursday, May 9th:
*Trial continues (Day 6) (@ am ET) - Canada – Thanh “Tien” Ly (46) (found Mar. 28, 2022 on a sidewalk in the area of Eastern & Berkshire avenues, west of Leslie Street, around 1:30pm in a garbage bag dismembered; ID'd on Mar. 31, 2022, Toronto) - *Dallas Ly (20/now 22) son arrested & charged (4/2/22) & arraigned (4/3/22) with 2nd degree murder. Plead not guilty. Remanded to custody (4/3/22).
Trial began on 4/29/24.

Case & court info from 3/28/22 thru 4/3/22 & Trial Days 1-4 (4/29-5/3/24) reference post #88 here:

5/8/24 Wednesday, Trial Day 5: State witnesses: No info available. Trial continues on Thursday, 5/9/24.

Catherine McDonald

@cmcdonaldglobal
·
13h

#NEW Dallas Ly took the stand in his own defence at his Second Degree Murder. In March 2022, Tien Ly’s decapitated body was found on Eastern Ave. She has been stabbed to death. Dallas Ly testified he killed his mother but says he never meant to kill her.”

“On the night of March 27, 2022, Dallas said his mother returned home from the nail salon she owned to the Carlaw Ave. condominium where they lived, the then-21-year-old announced he was moving out to live with his aunt...[…]

<He testified she shouted:>

“Where do you think you’re going? You owe me $25K in rent. If you’re going to live with your aunt, I’m going to kill her and you… “…Come here right now, and if you don’t come here right now, I’m going to beat you to death,” […]

He then recalled how his mother began attacking him, throwing her fists, then punching toward his jaw.[…]

<Dallas’s words:>
“Before I knew it, I lost it, I started to swing at her. One of the swings did catch and landed in the middle of her neck. She stopped, rolled over and fell to the ground. When she collapsed, I was still holding onto the knife and I fell alongside with her…”

The story went on to say after killing her he washed up, listened to music for about two hours and zoned out. It goes into detail about how he dismembered her, tried to take the remains to a park and then made attempts to flee the country.

Sorry, I should have put a graphic warning on my post above because of the details of the crime. ***This post also contains a graphic description of Tien Ly’s murder.***

“He testified he retrieved a hunting knife from his bedroom, to show his mother that he was “serious” about leaving. But she wasn’t scared, and instead started punching him and threatening to kill him. […]
He said the knife landed in her neck. He retreated to his bedroom, testifying that he “didn’t feel like anything was real at that point.” Still believing that his mother was alive, he said he called her phone several times, wondering why she hadn’t come home yet from the nail salon.

Eventually, he was hit with the realization of what he had done, and he started to panic. He told the jury he thought it was best “to hack her into small pieces” and that her head had already been mostly severed. But, he said, he couldn’t go through with dismembering her further, and placed her body in a grocery buggy, eventually disposing of the body on the street.

Crown attorney Jay Spare pointed out in cross-examination that Tien Ly’s body had far more stab wounds than suggested by her son’s testimony, and that there were other options available to him rather than confronting her with a knife.[…]

Spare suggested that Ly’s story of what happened is constantly changing, pointing out inconsistencies between his testimony and what he told a psychiatrist.”

Paywalled Star Article

What I don’t yet understand yet is if this was a fight, why didn’t he have injuries except for the knife wound to his hand?(Which likely came from it slipping.) Or have we not yet heard of all his possible injuries?

MOO

There is something not right, IMO, about the stories coming from this guy.

I think we are heading towards an NCR, why is there even a trial when he has admitted killing her???

The Star article says it was a series of bad decisions on his part!

Excuse you??

If her head was almost severed, he did more than stab her in the neck.

She used a shoe horn/back scratcher on him???

I guess they were at hand but it doesn’t sound like ‘beatings’ to me. IMO

Let’s hear what he told the psychiatrist closer to the time of the murder.

I put the psychiatrist as a witness since it was mentioned in the article for what happened yesterday. Again - not finding anything over here on what happened yesterday. Going to "assume" trial continues today...

Friday, May 10th:
*Trial continues (Day 7) (@ am ET) - Canada – Thanh “Tien” Ly (46) (found Mar. 28, 2022 on a sidewalk in the area of Eastern & Berkshire avenues, west of Leslie Street, around 1:30pm in a garbage bag dismembered; ID'd on Mar. 31, 2022, Toronto) - *Dallas Ly (20/now 22) son arrested & charged (4/2/22) & arraigned (4/3/22) with 2nd degree murder. Plead not guilty. Remanded to custody (4/3/22).
Trial began on 4/29/24. Crown rested their case on 5/7/24. Defense started on 5/8/24.
Justice Alfred O'Marra presiding. Assistant Crown attorney Jay Spare. Defense lawyer Marco Sciarra.

Case & court info from 3/28/22 thru 4/3/22 & Trial Days 1-4 (4/29-5/3/24) reference post #88 here:

5/8/24 Wednesday, Trial Day 5: Defense witness. Dallas Ly. Trial continues on Thursday, 5/9/24. Ly is expected to return to the stand Thursday, and a psychiatrist is also set to testify about his mental health.
for more info see post #90 (article here:
5/9/24 Thursday, Trial Day 6: Defense witnesses:
Dallas Ly. Psychiatrist. No other info available. Trial continues on Friday, 5/10/24.

Monday, May 13th:
*Trial continues (Day 7) (@ am ET) - Canada – Thanh “Tien” Ly (46) (found Mar. 28, 2022 on a sidewalk in the area of Eastern & Berkshire avenues, west of Leslie Street, around 1:30pm in a garbage bag dismembered; ID'd on Mar. 31, 2022, Toronto) - *Dallas Ly (20/now 22) son arrested & charged (4/2/22) & arraigned (4/3/22) with 2nd degree murder. Plead not guilty. Remanded to custody (4/3/22).
Trial began on 4/29/24. Crown rested their case on 5/7/24. Defense started on 5/8/24.
Justice Alfred O'Marra presiding. Assistant Crown attorney Jay Spare. Defense lawyer Marco Sciarra.

Case & court info from 3/28/22 thru 4/3/22 & Trial Days 1-5 (4/29-5/8/24) reference post #94 here:

5/9/24 Thursday, Trial Day 6: Defense witness: Dallas Ly. No other info available. Trial continues on Monday, 5/13/24.
for more info see posts #95 here:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drena519
Back