Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #104

Status
Not open for further replies.
This thread just seems all over the place to me. It's sad that nurses can't keep their kids in school so they can work. But kids should definitely stay in school despite the rising case numbers. Then people can just stay home and die from lack of medical care....so the schools can stay open and the nurses can continue going to the hospitals.

Parents can just as reasonably take care of their own children at home and educate them at home. And they can do so FAR more easily than expecting people to provide specialized medical care or medicines at home. In one of these scenarios people die and in the other they do not.

Why exactly would schooling be a greater priority in a pandemic than health care to keep people alive?

Anthony Fauci downplays child COVID hospitalizations hitting record high

Speaking to MSNBC's Ayman Mohyeldin, who was filling in for Rachel Maddow on Wednesday night, Fauci suggested that some of the children currently being treated at medical facilities were hospitalized with COVID as opposed to "because of COVID."

He added that some children who are currently listed as being in hospital with COVID may actually be receiving treatment for "a broken leg or appendicitis," rather than for a severe reactions to the virus.

No. Family. I used to work in healthcare, and it amazed me how folks didn't want to take any responsibility for sick parents, siblings, family. They basically expected "the system" to just do everything.

I can't tell you how many people just expect some magic "system" to do everything.
I think about this often since we lost my dad this past May. Mom is healthy and independent but if she needed more care I am not sure what we would do. There is just my sister and I and neither of us can quit our jobs. I could take an unpaid leave but not for long as we need my income. My sister could not abandon her practice now. Plus she has 4 little kids, one handicapped. There really is no way we could care for an ill family member, long term or even short term. Jobs are not that flexible.
That said, I don’t think I could ever leave my mom alone in a home.
This is a reminder for all, COVID or otherwise to make plans now.

Both of these comments have persuaded me to stock up on my pets favourite foods.

They were hard to find earlier in the pandemic, now let’s see if they get delivered next week!

It only makes sense, with thousands of people getting sick, the supply lines will be affected. Everyone from producers, truckers and shop keepers will have problems. Ugh

Other than TP, what else should we stock up on? Ideas??

Only half of the pet food order has been shipped, here’s hoping the rest follows shortly.

It normally all ships in one go. My boys are fussy eaters…lol

Please post about other shortages, it’s very helpful to know when you don’t normally go into the shops.

The issue is, where can one get a rapid antigen test? They are in short supply.
At best. Or pretty much unavailable. mA and CT both had shipments due last Thursday/Friday :eek: so teachers could get a test for Monday school reopening.
Delayed or canceled in both states. Ma has Since received other tests this weekend to get into some school staff hands before Monday. Few districts taking an additional day or two off. State does not recognize any remote learning. It’ll be a “snow day”. I think we have 5 of those built in to school year

Anthony Fauci downplays child COVID hospitalizations hitting record high

Speaking to MSNBC's Ayman Mohyeldin, who was filling in for Rachel Maddow on Wednesday night, Fauci suggested that some of the children currently being treated at medical facilities were hospitalized with COVID as opposed to "because of COVID."

He added that some children who are currently listed as being in hospital with COVID may actually be receiving treatment for "a broken leg or appendicitis," rather than for a severe reactions to the virus.
This is happening with adults here in the US and in other countries as well.
When a patient is admitted to a hospital, they are tested for Covid whether they are symptomatic or not. It's routine. So even though they are admitted for a completely different reason and may show no symptoms at all they are counted in the daily numbers (as they should be IMO).

At best. Or pretty much unavailable. mA and CT both had shipments due last Thursday/Friday :eek: so teachers could get a test for Monday school reopening.
Delayed or canceled in both states. Ma has Since received other tests this weekend to get into some school staff hands before Monday. Few districts taking an additional day or two off. State does not recognize any remote learning. It’ll be a “snow day”. I think we have 5 of those built in to school year
Yep. So if the rapid antigen tests are required to exit quarantine, many people won't be able to get their hands on these tests and thus will have to stay in quarantine forever.

I think about this often since we lost my dad this past May. Mom is healthy and independent but if she needed more care I am not sure what we would do. There is just my sister and I and neither of us can quit our jobs. I could take an unpaid leave but not for long as we need my income. My sister could not abandon her practice now. Plus she has 4 little kids, one handicapped. There really is no way we could care for an ill family member, long term or even short term. Jobs are not that flexible.
That said, I don’t think I could ever leave my mom alone in a home.
This is a reminder for all, COVID or otherwise to make plans now.

Most people are in the same boat, needing to work and desperate for elder care (childcare). Other than ‘the home’, what other plans could one make?

My adult children must work, look after children etc so how could they look after an ailing/dying parent?

The days of granny joining the family at home seem to be well and truly over from what I’ve seen.

One can only hope for a quick demise. Not guaranteed though.

I never want to go to ‘the home’!

For one the youth are our future and deserve to be in school. Look at the suicide rates and I could go on and on. The Benefits outweigh anything else imo

Yes, and students need to be taught by professionals who have special training in education. Very few parents can successfully teach their own children, and most have no qualifications to do so. Case in point: When schools closed here in metro Detroit and across much of the state of Michigan, my primary care physician's elementary school sons were at home with their dad who has his own company that he runs primarily online. Despite both parents being well educated, neither had the skills or patience to teach their own children. They found online learning in virtual classrooms quite confusing and little more than busywork. When most public schools would not reopen in the fall of 2020, Dr. K and her husband enrolled their boys in a parochial school. Everyone was much happier when the children were back in school, in classrooms with teachers and peers. Even though Oakland County boasts top notch public schools, online learning isn't the same, and Dr. K and family are pleased with the parochial school that their children now attend.

Most people are in the same boat, needing to work and desperate for elder care (childcare). Other than ‘the home’, what other plans could one make?

My adult children must work, look after children etc so how could they look after an ailing/dying parent?

The days of granny joining the family at home seem to be well and truly over from what I’ve seen.

One can only hope for a quick demise. Not guaranteed though.

I never want to go to ‘the home’!
You pretty much summed it up.

I think that a negative rapid antigen test result before the 5-day quarantine ends, should be the guidance.

Fauci: CDC Mulling COVID Test Requirement for Asymptomatic

The problem is, where would employers get antigen tests and how would they distribute them? If employers require them, then they have to provide them, IMO. Unless tests are readily accessible and free to employers, then I don't see how they can enforce this.

And they will arrive at your home only after 10 days or longer (after ordering) because they are not on prime fast shipping. So if you want people to be required to have those tests to exit quarantine, these people will have to wait at least 10 days for the tests to arrive.

Get them ahead before your sick or try local.

Where to get the best deals on at-home rapid COVID tests as Omicron surges

Walmart
Walgreens
CVS
Rite Aid
Meijer

NY Trumps Case Record by 9K, Reports Over 85,000 New Positives on New Year's Day

This is beyond anything we've had before. It's unfathomable.

My brother-in-law is currently at the Jets game. He's a season-ticket holder who hasn't gone this season due to Covid, but today they're playing Tom Brady and he went. Which is making my sister very upset. We are hoping that since it's outdoors and he's triple-vaxed that it will be enough.

85,000+ cases in my city in one day. Each person who is positive will likely spread it to many more. It’s feeling inescapable. There are strict mandates here which are largely ignored and unenforced. This is the result.

IIRC, I think it was Dr. John Campbell in one of his youtube videos who said that by the end of January, the U.S. would likely be experiencing about 1 million of omicron cases a day. This was based on the efficiency of omicron and our population, and based on what the U.K. was seeing at that time. So regardless of mitigation practicies and policies, this seems to be inevitable. Of course, I believe that anyone who is at high risk of serious disease if they contract covid should do everything they can to protect themselves, espeically with omicron as rampant as it is now.

IIRC, I think it was Dr. John Campbell in one of his youtube videos who said that by the end of January, the U.S. would likely be experiencing about 1 million of omicron cases a day. This was based on the efficiency of omicron and our population, and based on what the U.K. was seeing at that time. So regardless of mitigation practicies and policies, this seems to be inevitable. Of course, I believe that anyone who is at high risk of serious disease if they contract covid should do everything they can to protect themselves, espeically with omicron as rampant as it is now.
He seems to be way too cheery about Omicron. Even if it's less lethal than Delta, the number of infected is going to be huge. It's going to cause massive issues (it is already causing them).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zootopian2