Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #105

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amonet

Reaction score
The number of people already infected by the mystery virus emerging in China is far greater than official figures suggest, scientists have told the BBC.
There have been 41 laboratory-confirmed cases of the new virus, but UK experts estimate the figure is closer to 1,700.
New virus in China ‘will have infected hundreds'
Up to 4,500 patients in China may have caught the same strain of coronavirus that has killed two people, scientists fear.
Health officials in Wuhan – the city at the heart of the outbreak which started in December – confirmed four new cases today, taking the total to 48.
But Imperial College London researchers say this may be the 'tip of the iceberg' after analysing flights out of the city.

Thread #80 Thread #81 Thread #82 Thread #83 Thread #84 Thread #85 Thread #86 Thread #87 Thread #88 Thread #89 Thread #90 Thread #91 Thread #92 Thread #93 Thread #94 Thread #95 Thread #96 Thread #97 Thread #98 Thread #99 Thread #100 Thread #101 Thread #102 Thread #103 Thread #104

PLEASE NOTE:

Tricia set up the Covid forum for people who are genuinely concerned about Covid-19. It is not for anyone who is here with a view to minimizing its existence or downplaying the severity of it. Please know that MSM, scientists, politicians, government agencies worldwide are not involved in the biggest conspiracy in the history of man to convey the pandemic as more serious than it is.

If you aren't concerned about Covid-19, this Covid forum is not for you. There are lots of other Websleuths threads you can participate in that need your help.

Members whose posts seem designed to downplay the seriousness of the virus or the pandemic may experience a loss of posting privileges, whether a Thread Reply Ban or Time Out of minimum 1 week up to 3 months from the Websleuths forum.

Sillybilly
WS Administrator

Last edited by a moderator:
Two nights ago my 6 yr old granddaughter, K, woke up coughing. My DIL went to take her water, and saw that K was clammy and warm, and was having night sweats. When she drank the water, she began feeling nauseous, and holding her stomach, saying she needed something to throw up in....

My son heard the situation and went in with a large bowl for her just in case, and tried to comfort her. She seemed to be getting upset which is unusual for her, she is usually pretty confident and easy going. My son said he could feel her heart was beating very fast and it worried him. Did they need to call 911 or maybe jump in the car and go to the hospital?

K does yoga with her Mom sometimes, so my DIL got her to do the meditation deep breathing exercises with her, and they focused on taking slow deep breaths and relaxing the mind....

That helped a lot, and everyone relaxed ....my son hugged her and told her that she looked so much better and he could hear that her heart was beating normally again....so he asked her if she felt any better...

And she nodded, but then began to tear up a little---and she told them that when she started coughing and felt hot, she GOT REALLY SCARED and was afraid 'she had the deadly Corona.'

That ^^^^ was so heartbreaking to hear. They never speak about it in that way, and she doesn't watch TV. But obviously, living in a LA suburb, it is a impossible to avoid the subject. And she does wear masks and her 1st grade is mostly by Zoom....:(

And being only 6, the pandemic has eaten up a large chunk of her life so far. It makes me very sad.

Anyway, she has had two Rapid Home tests and both have been negative. They think it was just something she ate or a quick passing bug of some kind, thank goodness....

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/interactive/2021/covid-health-worker-suicide/

“Respiratory therapist Alva Daniels fought in covid hot spots throughout the pandemic, but it was only in recent months that the strain began to show.

He started calling his wife from the hospital bathroom, crying, when he lost a patient. “We can’t save them. All we do is bag ’em and tag ’em,” he told a friend. Then, as coronavirus cases fueled by the delta variant rose over the summer, he told his wife: “Things are getting bad again and we don’t have enough people to fight it. If something happens to me — if I die — I want to be buried next to my mom.”

Alicia McAllister-Daniels, a nurse, thought her husband was talking about a breakthrough case of covid-19. Instead, Daniels, 38, died by suicide just five days later, his body found in a wooded area near the apartment in Fredericksburg where he was living while on a travel assignment.”

Two nights ago my 6 yr old granddaughter, K, woke up coughing. My DIL went to take her water, and saw that K was clammy and warm, and was having night sweats. When she drank the water, she began feeling nauseous, and holding her stomach, saying she needed something to throw up in....

My son heard the situation and went in with a large bowl for her just in case, and tried to comfort her. She seemed to be getting upset which is unusual for her, she is usually pretty confident and easy going. My son said he could feel her heart was beating very fast and it worried him. Did they need to call 911 or maybe jump in the car and go to the hospital?

K does yoga with her Mom sometimes, so my DIL got her to do the meditation deep breathing exercises with her, and they focused on taking slow deep breaths and relaxing the mind....

That helped a lot, and everyone relaxed ....my son hugged her and told her that she looked so much better and he could hear that her heart was beating normally again....so he asked her if she felt any better...

And she nodded, but then began to tear up a little---and she told them that when she started coughing and felt hot, she GOT REALLY SCARED and was afraid 'she had the deadly Corona.'

That ^^^^ was so heartbreaking to hear. They never speak about it in that way, and she doesn't watch TV. But obviously, living in a LA suburb, it is a impossible to avoid the subject. And she does wear masks and her 1st grade is mostly by Zoom....:(

And being only 6, the pandemic has eaten up a large chunk of her life so far. It makes me very sad.

Anyway, she has had two Rapid Home tests and both have been negative. They think it was just something she ate or a quick passing bug of some kind, thank goodness....
Poor little one! This has been so hard on all of us but it must be especially frightening to the little ones.

yup! that is exactly how I felt last year when I woke up one night feeling bad- that I would probably die- and I am an >ahem< mature adult, so why wouldn't a child be terrified?

Poor little one! Her parents handled the situation well, and I'm glad she most likely doesn't have Covid.

ETA I apparently borrowed language ("poor little one") from @LaborDayRN in my reply!

Woman, 82, dies after 'catching COVID from her friend who hid their infection to attend a card game' | Daily Mail Online

What a shameful thing to do.

I wouldn't be surprised if similar situations are happening everywhere. The people who insist on having their fun, and are too selfish to wait a bit longer, are killing their friends and loved ones.

This is the breed of people who refuse to believe it can actually happen to them, and they go gallivanting all around. Apparently the friend with Covid felt well enough to play cards, lied about her health status and maybe about being vaccinated, and poof! Her friend is dead.

Watching, absolutely shocked at a full football stadium. Green Bay and Minneapolis. Omicron? Covid?

Am I living some alternative reality? This seems like insanity to me. No masks in sight.

Tonight I watched CNN’s documentary about Carole King and James Taylor “Just Call Out My Name” and I was aghast :eek: at all the audience without masks until I realized it was about their 2010 concert at The Troubadour! :D The show was a wonderful respite from the insanity that is today. They were our soundtrack of the 1970’s (with Jackson Browne). Those were the days! Sigh.

Woman, 82, dies after 'catching COVID from her friend who hid their infection to attend a card game' | Daily Mail Online

What a shameful thing to do.

I wouldn't be surprised if similar situations are happening everywhere. The people who insist on having their fun, and are too selfish to wait a bit longer, are killing their friends and loved ones.

This is the breed of people who refuse to believe it can actually happen to them, and they go gallivanting all around. Apparently the friend with Covid felt well enough to play cards, lied about her health status and maybe about being vaccinated, and poof! Her friend is dead.

Hmmmm…seems like there should be criminal charges for this kind of deliberate hiding of an infection, especially around vulnerable people. Just wishful thinking, I’m afraid. But it’s criminal IMO. :mad:

Poor little one! Her parents handled the situation well, and I'm glad she most likely doesn't have Covid.

ETA I apparently borrowed language ("poor little one") from @LaborDayRN in my reply!
Just keep in mind that those rapid tests are not very sensitive. Someone testing negative on a rapid antigen test could still have covid.

Just keep in mind that those rapid tests are not very sensitive. Someone testing negative on a rapid antigen test could still have covid.
True, but she only had symptoms briefly, probably during a 3 hour period. By the next morning she felt fine but they made her stay home. She never had any more symptoms after that first night. And she had the 2 tests, both negative.

On the 3rd day they had to decide if they should take her in for a PCR test somewhere. But she was asymptomatic so she was low on the waiting list. It didn't seem worth the trouble or risk to go to a crowded place full of people who thought they might have Covid, just to get her tested.

Also, no one else in the family had any symptoms. She is stuck like glue to her parents and her Auntie. And my husband and I had dinners with her and played with her, at her house, a few times right before she got sick , and none of us got any symptoms. So by process of deduction, we don't believe she had Covid.

Last edited:
People falling back to twitter even for testing advice...a throat swab may detect Omicron much better then a nasal swab....Why this has to come via twitter ????

T. Ryan Gregory
@TRyanGregory

·
1 jan.
Omicron is not a Pokemon-style "final evolution" of SARS-CoV-2. It's still mutating rapidly, including in the spike protein, and with the amount of replication it is doing out there right now, we can expect new variants. Hoping is not a strategy. Giving up is not a plan.

More realism...

The throat swab positive while nasal swab negative testing story is becoming quite common. Here is another person with 3 negative nasal tests but got an immediate positive when she switched to a throat swab.
HFZKFAHM_20220102-224902.png
#Omicron is different - we must adapt.

Well, there it is. Today, with the “wrong” (i.e. cold) symptoms and after a string of negative LFTs, I finally took Twitter advice and swabbed my throat as well as my nose (no mean feat with that diddly stick). If you think you might have COVID, consider adding the throat sample

My brother who went on the cruise and has Covid now- so does everyone else in his family that went- his wife, his wife's sister, and his two college age daughters.
My brother is ridiculous, he went for a 3 mile run yesterday while still testing positive. I don't know what he is trying to prove? I worry about him- shouldnt he be resting rather than challenging the virus. Ugh.

My brother who went on the cruise and has Covid now- so does everyone else in his family that went- his wife, his wife's sister, and his two college age daughters.
My brother is ridiculous, he went for a 3 mile run yesterday while still testing positive. I don't know what he is trying to prove? I worry about him- shouldnt he be resting rather than challenging the virus. Ugh.

More worrisome, he is breaking quarantine.

Watching, absolutely shocked at a full football stadium. Green Bay and Minneapolis. Omicron? Covid?

Am I living some alternative reality? This seems like insanity to me. No masks in sight.

Also full stadium for the orange bowl in Miami which is loaded
with Omicron infected people---it is just a jaw dropping scene

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members