Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #106

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought this video might be helpful for your situation.

Interesting analysis that Dr. Campbell provides of the study reported by the CDC. The study looked at four categories of individuals and Dr. Campbell ranks the results according to their risks of hospitalization. The four categories are listed below, according to their level of risk for hospitalization.

Highest Risk of Hospitalization -- Unvaccinated without having had covid-19 infection

Next Highest Risk of Hospitalizaiton -- Vaccinated without having had covid-19 infection

Lower Risk of Hospitalization -- Similar results for both Unvaccinated who have been infected with covid-19 and Vaccinated who have been infected with covid-19.

Study undertaken during delta phase of the pandemic.

Please correct me if I have got this wrong, I am writing this from memeory after watching Dr. C's youtube video posted above.

The graphs that Dr. C. presents based on the data tell an interesting story of the results of the study.

It finally found us. We received my hubbies PCR results this morning. It's positive. He's running a low grade fever, runny nose and a general feeling of malaise. I worry about him as he has an underlying condition. Luckily we have easy access to medical advise via phone or video chat.

I still have the same headache I've had for 5 days. I'm not going for a second PCR at this point. I'm just going to assume we both have it. If my symptoms get worse, I'll go for a second test.
My husband and I are both double vaccinated along with boosters. I'm hoping that will make this a mild encounter with our enemy Covid.

5 day head ache = not fun
I had what felt like the beginning of a sinus headache this a.m.
but it magically vanished... in the back of my mind "do I have it?"
maybe good to just get it over with and have more immunity, but the longer I go without getting it, the less I want to experience it. hope your symptoms remain "mild."

@LaborDayRN how rotten that the virus found you despite the careful way you've lived. Hoping you and your husband are well very soon. It may be a relief that you've retired and don't have to factor nursing into your recovery.

@BetteDavisEyes As the kids say, "I feel you."

Tomorrow I have an appointment with the pulmonologist. Something I have strenuously avoided for two years now. But all my own fault, as I know, I'm a smoker with mild COPD and it's really time to be checked.

I told the receptionist on the phone today that I really cannot imagine any way that I will blow into the tube that measures respiration. I know it's a new mouthpiece each time, but who knows how many people have blown into that machine? I've been avoiding all doctors and do NOT want to go to one who specializes in people with respiratory problems!

But I have to go. I have medication that they've been renewing for me without my going to the doctor, but they really need to check me before they'll continue that.

Every single person who loves me cannot fathom how I'm supremely cautious around Covid but continue to smoke cigarettes. I don't have a good excuse. Except that Covid mainly makes me worry that I can pass it to my family as it's so contagious. Smoking is my one main vice.

Good luck with the colonoscopy. As I've mentioned a few times, we just lost a family member at 61 because she didn't get her colonoscopy, same reasons as us plus she was a very busy nurse, and she ended up with stage 4 colon cancer.

Wishing you the best.
Thanks for the well wishes Arkay! We're feeling no better but thankfully no worse this evening.
I think your doing the right thing going to see the pulmonologist. I had to have a colonoscopy about 8 months ago and was worried too. Everything went fine. I totally understand your nervousness though. I wasn't blowing into a mouth piece. But in the end, if we don't look after ourselves and our own medical issues, no one else is going to do it for us.
As a side note, my husband smoked for 50 years. He also has mild COPD. He had a rather serious exacerbation of symptoms about 6 years ago during a bout of the flu.
After coming home from urgent care there was a knock on our door. It was a guy with oxygen tanks. My husband listened to him politely. He explained how to use it and showed him the cart he could use to pull it behind him when he needed to go to the store.
When he left, my husband looked at me and said, "I'm not doing that!"
He called his doctor the next day who then prescribed nicotine patches, zyban and a coach that called him weekly. He hasn't smoked in 7 years now. It wasn't his first attempt to quit but I sure hope it's his last.

Last edited by a moderator:
Respectfully snipped

If it is any comfort to you, I can tell you that I have performed the respiratory testing that you are speaking of for many years. I am certified by NIOSH (National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health) to train certification classes for health care professionals so they can perform respiratory testing safely and properly.

Patient safety and avoiding cross contamination has always been a priority in respiratory testing, and after COVID the safety procedures and decontamination protocols have been been revised by NIOSH. Now the requirements are even stricter.

You mentioned “who knows how many people have blown into that machine?” but I can assure you that the disposable mouthpiece is attached to a disposable filter that prevents contamination to the machine. And the machine will be sanitized thoroughly after each use.

The respiratory testing will be performed in a negative air pressure room, and the air exchange will be vented directly outside.

After each patient the exam room door will be closed room and the air be exhausted. Each room will have had the air exchange rate determined so the amount of time to wait between patients will be known. In a negative flow room, there are 12 or greater air exchanges per hour. The air exchange rate should be posted somewhere in the room so that staff will know how long to wait before the next patient is brought in.

Hope that makes sense, and is reassuring to you.
Thank you for your very thorough explanation!

Anyone else notice that Media stories about Covid are getting fewer?
I think that's a good thing?
I'm not sure.
I am hoping it's a positive, meaning Covid has calmed down?
Any thoughts?

I ordered my gov. tests a day before the website officially went live, but I have yet to receive any confirmation.
I ordered my tests the day before it went live too and I received confirmation right away, but no tracking info. I’m in Oregon.

Yes, Lilibet---I received a very quick confirmation. But no tracking info either.

I'm not sure.
Any thoughts?

Here in Sweden there is still a lot of news about covid mostly about Ba2 variant of omicron. Omicron is a wildfire here and many people are out of work sick or with sick kids. It’s making a lot of news still. Curious about that though how is it in other countries.
Edited to add I’m currently waiting for a press conference on new measurements at 1pm(eu time).

It finally found us. We received my hubbies PCR results this morning. It's positive. He's running a low grade fever, runny nose and a general feeling of malaise. I worry about him as he has an underlying condition. Luckily we have easy access to medical advise via phone or video chat.

I still have the same headache I've had for 5 days. I'm not going for a second PCR at this point. I'm just going to assume we both have it. If my symptoms get worse, I'll go for a second test.
My husband and I are both double vaccinated along with boosters. I'm hoping that will make this a mild encounter with our enemy Covid.

This is why I just knew I had the virus. But did test negative the one time. But the headaches. I am just not headache prone, and they were devastating...had them for a whole week... then the pain went into my lower back.... Hope you don't get that as well.

Omicron has a highly mutated spike protein. So Regeneron no longer works against it. Different company's antibody still work, but they are in short supply. Meanwhile DeSantis wants to keep using Regeneron. Even though it doesn't work anymore.

"The other group of researchers, most of whom were Goettingen-based, said they found the Eli Lilly antibody cocktail failed to inhibit Omicron viruses from entering human cells, while Regeneron's Ronapreve was "inefficient" in inhibiting Omicron. GKS's sotrovimab, however, remained active against the variant."

Lab tests: Eli Lilly, Regeneron antibody therapies lose out against Omicron | Reuters

I'm not sure.
Any thoughts?
Yes, I've noticed the same, I wondered if some of the coverage that would normally be on COVID is being spent on the Russian Ukraine conflict.

People who smoke can’t get a transplant, people who drink alcohol can’t get a liver transplant. These are just a few examples.

Organs for transplant are rare, and they need to be given to patients who have the best chance of success.
And to those who will follow doctor's orders. For all we know the guy could read on facebook somewhere that it is no longer necessary for him to take anti-rejection meds and decide he knows better than the doctors. If he is concerned about very small percentage of mRNA vaccine patients having issues with myocarditis, he could take J&J vaccine. It's not associated with the risk of myocarditis.

I posted the below image earlier, but it was deleted because I forgot to post the link. This is an official press release from the State of Florida and is found on their Twitter Feed.

My concern about the FDA pulling these treatments is that Delta is still circulating, although from what I've read, the FDA thinks these treatments don't work for Omicron. I've looked but have been unable to find the studies that show this.

FJ6rgJ8X0AI3oXV

Omicron has a highly mutated spike protein. So Regeneron no longer works against it. Different company's antibody still work, but they are in short supply. Meanwhile DeSantis wants to keep using Regeneron. Even though it doesn't work anymore.

"The other group of researchers, most of whom were Goettingen-based, said they found the Eli Lilly antibody cocktail failed to inhibit Omicron viruses from entering human cells, while Regeneron's Ronapreve was "inefficient" in inhibiting Omicron. GKS's sotrovimab, however, remained active against the variant."

Lab tests: Eli Lilly, Regeneron antibody therapies lose out against Omicron | Reuters

Okay, thanks for this. I posted the press release from Florida a bit ago.

My concern, however, is that Delta is circulating, albeit to a smaller degree.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlexWorksInTelly