Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #108

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amonet

Reaction score
The number of people already infected by the mystery virus emerging in China is far greater than official figures suggest, scientists have told the BBC.
There have been 41 laboratory-confirmed cases of the new virus, but UK experts estimate the figure is closer to 1,700.
New virus in China ‘will have infected hundreds'
Up to 4,500 patients in China may have caught the same strain of coronavirus that has killed two people, scientists fear.
Health officials in Wuhan – the city at the heart of the outbreak which started in December – confirmed four new cases today, taking the total to 48.
But Imperial College London researchers say this may be the 'tip of the iceberg' after analysing flights out of the city.

Thread #80 Thread #81 Thread #82 Thread #83 Thread #84 Thread #85 Thread #86 Thread #87 Thread #88 Thread #89 Thread #90 Thread #91 Thread #92 Thread #93 Thread #94 Thread #95 Thread #96 Thread #97 Thread #98 Thread #99 Thread #100 Thread #101 Thread #102 Thread #103 Thread #104 Thread #105 Thread #106 Thread #107

PLEASE NOTE:

Tricia set up the Covid forum for people who are genuinely concerned about Covid-19. It is not for anyone who is here with a view to minimizing its existence or downplaying the severity of it. Please know that MSM, scientists, politicians, government agencies worldwide are not involved in the biggest conspiracy in the history of man to convey the pandemic as more serious than it is.

If you aren't concerned about Covid-19, this Covid forum is not for you. There are lots of other Websleuths threads you can participate in that need your help.

Members whose posts seem designed to downplay the seriousness of the virus or the pandemic may experience a loss of posting privileges, whether a Thread Reply Ban or Time Out of minimum 1 week up to 3 months from the Websleuths forum.

Sillybilly
WS Administrator

Last edited by a moderator:
Time to move on from Covid: Boris unveils new strategy | Daily Mail Online

Boris Johnson hailed a new post-Covid era today as he declared that self-isolation laws are being axed from Thursday and free Covid tests will go from April.

In a dramatic statement to MPs, the PM confirmed that people with the virus will no longer be compelled to stay at home in England - although they will be advised to avoid spreading the disease in the same way as with flu.

From March 24 more generous state sick pay provisions are being downgraded, so people will no longer be eligible from day one.

And from April 1 free lateral flow and PCR testing - which has been costing the taxpayer £2billion a month - is being abandoned, except for very limited supplies for the elderly and very vulnerable. Details of who gets them will be decided later by the UK Health Security Agency.

Instead the government is set to focus on monitoring the development of the virus, with surveillance programmes to keep watch for emerging variants. The testing infrastructure will be kept ready so it can be 'stood up' quickly if there is a serious threat.

Britain to lift Covid restrictions as queen tests positive (nbcnews.com)

“It is important that people feel confident again and that people should feel able to go back to work in the normal way,” the prime minister said.

LONDON — Britain is expected to unveil plans on Monday to lift all remaining government pandemic regulations, including self-isolation for those testing positive for the virus, a day after it was announced that Britain’s 95-year-old monarch had Covid-19.

Prime Minister Boris Johnson said he did not want people to “throw caution to the wind,” but vaccines and other measures meant that the government no longer needed to mandate pandemic restrictions...

Going forward, the U.K. will rely on vaccines and other measures like close surveillance of the disease, according to a Downing Street statement released Sunday evening...

[URL]https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2022/02/21/covid-cardiac-issues-longterm/

G[/URL]ift article. No pay wall.
https://wapo.st/3Habgmb

“Indeed, as the months since their infections have turned into years, people who initially had mild or even some asymptomatic coronavirus cases are pouring into cardiology practices across the country.

At Memorial Hermann-Texas Medical Center in Houston, cardiologist Abhijeet Dhoble said they are seeing an increase in arrhythmia, an abnormality in the timing of the heartbeat, and cardiomyopathy, a heart muscle disease. The patients, who previously had covid, range in age from their 30s to 70s and many had no previous heart disease.”
BBM

———————————

We’ve been hearing about cardiac issues likely caused by covid, even long after infection. I was hospitalized with covid in early February 2021, and again with heart issues Feb 11-14 this year. Extreme shortness of breath, EKG, chest X-ray, echocardiogram all pointing to congestive heart failure. Home with oxygen at night and a cardiologist in my future. Thanks to our small, but wonderful, local hospital, I’m much better now. I’ve been inclined to blame this on my 76-year-old sedentary chickens coming home to roost, but I’d much rather blame it on Covid! I’m not sure I can convince the cardiologist though. It will be interesting to hear their opinion. Has anyone else experienced this?

I went to the dentist yesterday, first time in over 2 years. Slowly, going back to my old "life". I don't know. But it is time.

They all wore masks. It was very sterile and a great experience.

This here is what bothers me: delivering newspapers this morning (masked) I run into a friend who says she is "sick" but it's probably "just her asthma" - sure...she looked and sounded horrible. Said she was going to urgent care this morning AFTER she was having breakfast in the open dining room.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2022/02/21/covid-cardiac-issues-longterm/

G
ift article. No pay wall.

“Indeed, as the months since their infections have turned into years, people who initially had mild or even some asymptomatic coronavirus cases are pouring into cardiology practices across the country.

At Memorial Hermann-Texas Medical Center in Houston, cardiologist Abhijeet Dhoble said they are seeing an increase in arrhythmia, an abnormality in the timing of the heartbeat, and cardiomyopathy, a heart muscle disease. The patients, who previously had covid, range in age from their 30s to 70s and many had no previous heart disease.”
BBM

———————————

We’ve been hearing about cardiac issues likely caused by covid, even long after infection. I was hospitalized with covid in early February 2021, and again with heart issues Feb 11-14 this year. Extreme shortness of breath, EKG, chest X-ray, echocardiogram all pointing to congestive heart failure. Home with oxygen at night and a cardiologist in my future. Thanks to our small, but wonderful, local hospital, I’m much better now. I’ve been inclined to blame this on my 76-year-old sedentary chickens coming home to roost, but I’d much rather blame it on Covid! I’m not sure I can convince the cardiologist though. It will be interesting to hear their opinion. Has anyone else experienced this?

G

BBM

———————————

G

BBM

———————————

Hi Lilibet---- Did you have a history of heart problems prior to
When you contracted Covid?

From the article:
  • Two weeks ago the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) published data about the effectiveness of boosters against COVID-19
  • The CDC failed to publish a tranche of their data, however - omitting the impact on those aged 18-49, who are least likely to benefit from boosters
  • The CDC are also being criticized for failing to publish their information about child hospitalization rates and comorbidities

Mask mandate: Carnival Cruise Line, Royal Caribbean set to drop masks (usatoday.com)

Two major cruise lines, Royal Caribbean International and Carnival Cruise Line, recently announced plans to ease onboard masking requirements in the coming weeks.

Royal Caribbean plans to drop its indoor mask requirement for fully vaccinated passengers starting Friday. Carnival Cruise Line's new masking policy, which will lift mask requirements in most venues, goes into effect March 1.

A third cruise line, Norwegian Cruise Line, announced earlier this month that it would let passengers ditch their face masks on board starting March 1.

Royal Caribbean and Carnival's updated policies were announced shortly after the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention updated its voluntary COVID-19 program for cruise lines. Under the updated guidance, cruise lines that opt into the program can lift masking requirements if 95% of passengers and crew members are fully vaccinated or up to date with their shots...

Queen Elizabeth cancels engagements after positive Covid test (nbcnews.com)

The 95-year-old monarch is still suffering from mild cold-like symptoms, a Buckingham Palace spokesperson said.

LONDON — Queen Elizabeth II has cancelled her planned virtual engagements and is still suffering from mild cold-like symptoms after a positive Covid-19 test over the weekend, a Buckingham Palace spokesperson said in a statement over email.

She will continue with "light duties" on Tuesday, although the statement did not specify what those would be...

G

BBM

———————————

I just read this interesting and worrying article and came here to post about it, and find out you've recently been hospitalized for heart issues. I'm very sorry to hear it but glad you are doing better now. I hope your new cardiologist will give you great care like your hospital has. Hugs and best wishes!

Hi Lilibet---- Did you have a history of heart problems prior to When you contracted Covid?

Nope, I had no history of heart problems prior to having Covid….except a family history.

I just read this interesting and worrying article and came here to post about it, and find out you've recently been hospitalized for heart issues. I'm very sorry to hear it but glad you are doing better now. I hope your new cardiologist will give you great care like your hospital has. Hugs and best wishes!

Thanks so much @anneg.

Nope, I had no history of heart problems prior to having Covid….except a family history.

Thanks so much @anneg.

Thanks so much @anneg.

I feel bad for you having heart problems-- inasmuch as you don't have a history of heart problems, it seems to me Covid may be involved in the development of that problem. I have always said Covid is evil--- Please take care of yourself.

More about BA.2 variant (as if you wanted more...):

More contagious version of omicron spreads in U.S., fueling worries

Excerpt:
Although vaccination and prior infection does appear to protect people against BA.2, this version of the virus seems somewhat better at evading the immune system than the original omicron was. This increases the concern that it could drive a growth in new cases.

And while Luban agrees the most likely scenario is that BA.2 will just extend the omicron wave, he says it's impossible to rule out the possibility of another surge.

"It may be that the virus has to get to somewhere like 5-7%, and then all of a sudden once it has a foothold like that, it will take off," Luban says.

Especially if that happens just as mask mandates and other restrictions are being lifted across the country and people are really letting down their guard....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member