Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #110

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good news about the bivalent booster (BBM below):

Eric Topol
5 hr ago

You may recall that I was a skeptic about the bivalent BA.5 vaccine when the FDA gave it the OK to roll out in September without any human data. At the very least, I had hoped there would be lab studies to confirm a strong immune response to this variant, and that it was superior to the original (monovalent) booster that was directed to the ancestral (Wuhan) strain. But we now have extensive data that is quite encouraging—better and broader than expected— that I’m going to briefly review here.
(BIG SNIP)

There is now more than ample, highly consistent evidence via lab studies and clinical outcomes to support the bivalent’s benefit over the original booster. There have been demands and calls for randomized trial comparing the original versus the bivalent booster. Randomized trial takes time to set up and would come at considerable added expense. Furthermore, they’re not necessary since there is nothing to suggest any inferiority of the bivalent—all of the data points to added benefit. When the BA.5 bivalent was given FDA approval to roll out, this was done to catch up with the marked evolution of the virus for which there had not been an updated vaccine since the original version designed in January 2020. I’ve been a big supporter and leader of randomized trials throughout my career, but fully appreciate that there’s a time and place when they are appropriate—it’s not in the midst of a pandemic with all the priors (randomized trials and effectiveness studies) that we have now. I disagreed with the FDA decision at the time, but have comprehensively reviewed the data since and believe they (Dr. Peter Marks and colleagues) made the right call.
(SNIP)

A key question is how long the bivalent will help prevent severe Covid. There’s no reason to think it would differ much from what we’ve seen with the original booster, with diminished protection over the course of 4 to 6 months. We can’t keep relying on such frequent shots (2-3 times per year) in the future, which is why it is so critical for an enrichment of our preventive armamentarium—more durable vaccines by tweaking nanoparticles, striving for variant-proof efficacy, and mucosal immunity, no less more drugs beyond Paxlovid that can rapidly inactivate the virus. As I recently wrote, The virus isn’t done evolving. It’s taking to us and we’re not listening

Oct 06, 2022

SBM
Ottawa Public Health suggests people planning gatherings consider heading outdoors or opening windows indoors to improve the ventilation. Levels of COVID-19 in Ottawa remain high, according to Ottawa Public Health’s weekly update released Thursday. OPH said last week that the city is in another wave of COVID-19. OPH said it “strongly recommends” wearing a mask in any indoor and/or crowded place.

#More at link

9/26/22 CDC said masks are no longer required in health facilities

Still no Moderna bivalent BA4/5 available in some provinces in Canada. I checked today. Some people have to choose between switching brands (to Pfizer), or going without and being more cautious until the next variant comes around. Maybe Moderna will be ahead of the curve for the next wave.

Still no Moderna bivalent BA4/5 available in some provinces in Canada. I checked today. Some people have to choose between switching brands (to Pfizer), or going without and being more cautious until the next variant comes around. Maybe Moderna will be ahead of the curve for the next wave.

I went with Pfizer-but that’s because I’ve had Pfizer for all my previous shots.

I got the SpikeVax Moderna shot last Tuesday - no side effects, no sore arm. I didn't even feel the needle go in.
And just read that the SpikeVax Moderna covers the bivalent BA4/5. :)

I got the SpikeVax Moderna shot last Tuesday - no side effects, no sore arm. I didn't even feel the needle go in.
And just read that the SpikeVax Moderna covers the bivalent BA4/5. :)
I wonder why Niner in Latvia can get the Moderna bivalent shot (yay, @Niner!) and Otto in Canada can't! This seems nuts.

Otto, will you get the Pfizer one (or did you already)?

I wonder why Niner in Latvia can get the Moderna bivalent shot (yay, @Niner!) and Otto in Canada can't! This seems nuts.

Otto, will you get the Pfizer one (or did you already)?
Still undecided. Covid XBB surge is starting in Canada. Pfizer BA.4/5 shots can be booked in a day, so my guess is that a lot of people are not getting the booster shot. It used to take a couple of weeks to get an appointment.

Still undecided. Covid XBB surge is starting in Canada. Pfizer BA.4/5 shots can be booked in a day, so my guess is that a lot of people are not getting the booster shot. It used to take a couple of weeks to get an appointment.
I think there is a kind of a blasé trend now too, something I notice over here in England.

My boss is a couple of years older than me in his late 50s and was suffering with Covid over Christmas quite badly (at home). I asked did he get his booster and he said no. I was shocked because when the vaccines first came out he was first off the blocks, going to a private doctor even to get a quick appointment. It has shaken him, how unwell he was.

The muscle aches started today and my whole body has been in pain. I never experienced this symptom with my previous infections so I’ve been essentially bedridden because it hurts to move. My taste is also gone again.

Are you taking vitamins C and D with zinc?

Lots of pharmacies aren’t even taking appointments, but just walk-ins. That’s all mine was. I just went in one day and asked for the booster.

This article has blown my mind: I am thinking of not getting the Bivalent. I was already on the fence because of no human clinical trials for this newist vaccine. Although this article discusses Pfizer only, I am sure the same problem would be seen with Moderna. The human clinical trials are occurring now as the public (only 16%) is availing themselves of the Bivalent.

This article has blown my mind: I am thinking of not getting the Bivalent. I was already on the fence because of no human clinical trials for this newist vaccine. Although this article discusses Pfizer only, I am sure the same problem would be seen with Moderna. The human clinical trials are occurring now as the public (only 16%) is availing themselves of the Bivalent.
I think getting covid increases the risks of all these possible side effects and more, more than the risk from the vaccine.

Personally, the only reason I would avoid the vaccines is if I were allergic to an ingredient.

I do, however, see a downside to the vaccine, and that is if people who've gotten it think they are now protected and don't need to mask or avoid crowded situations.

I thankfully live in an extremely low population density area but when I go to visit family in suburbia, I think I'm at more risk now than at any time since the pandemic started, because now hardly anyone else is masking or keeping distance.

One article suggesting that the Modern bivalent BA4/5 is safer than the Pfizer bivalent BA4/5, as the latter is now associated with a low incidence of ischemic stroke. Moderna Bivalent is not available in some Canadian provinces and there's no info regarding availability.

"The US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said Friday that there is a possible safety issue with the bivalent Covid-19 vaccine made by Pfizer and BioNTech but that it is unlikely to represent a true risk. ... detected a possible increase in a certain kind of stroke in people 65 and older who recently got one of Pfizer’s updated booster shots. ...

“These strokes are not a confirmed adverse event at the moment,” he said. “It’s like a radar system. You’re getting a blip on the radar, and you have to do further investigation to discover whether that airplane is friend or foe.”

The same safety signal has not been detected with the bivalent Moderna booster, the CDC said in its notice.

So far, no indication that the Moderna bivalent has the same problem, but that may be because the Moderna bivalent is not available in some parts of modern countries like Canada.

I think getting covid increases the risks of all these possible side effects and more, more than the risk from the vaccine.

Personally, the only reason I would avoid the vaccines is if I were allergic to an ingredient.

I do, however, see a downside to the vaccine, and that is if people who've gotten it think they are now protected and don't need to mask or avoid crowded situations.

I thankfully live in an extremely low population density area but when I go to visit family in suburbia, I think I'm at more risk now than at any time since the pandemic started, because now hardly anyone else is masking or keeping distance.
That's true. Covid may damage the heart, and now there's a concern that the Pfizer bivalent BA.4/5 vaccine may damage the heart.

Should we get the vaccine that may damage the heart because the illness may cause that damage anyway, or should we not get the vaccine and do our best to avoid getting sick?

"People who had more than one COVID-19 infection were three times more likely to be hospitalized and twice as likely to die than those who only had one infection. Those with multiple infections were also more vulnerable to other dangerous conditions; they were 3.5 times more likely to develop lung problems, 3 times more likely to have heart conditions, and 1.6 times more likely to have brain changes requiring care than people who had only had COVID-19 once."
Time Magazine
November 10, 2022

"The US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said Friday that there is a possible safety issue with the bivalent Covid-19 vaccine made by Pfizer and BioNTech ... people age 65 and older who got a bivalent booster might be more likely to have ischemic strokes within the first three weeks after their shots."
CNN
January 13, 2023

There's also that confusing research about whether someone who has the vaccine is more susceptible to illness (posted upthread). I still don't fully understand those research results.

That's true. Covid may damage the heart, and now there's a concern that the Pfizer bivalent BA.4/5 vaccine may damage the heart.

Should we get the vaccine that may damage the heart because the illness may cause that damage anyway, or should we not get the vaccine and do our best to avoid getting sick?

"People who had more than one COVID-19 infection were three times more likely to be hospitalized and twice as likely to die than those who only had one infection. Those with multiple infections were also more vulnerable to other dangerous conditions; they were 3.5 times more likely to develop lung problems, 3 times more likely to have heart conditions, and 1.6 times more likely to have brain changes requiring care than people who had only had COVID-19 once."
Time Magazine
November 10, 2022

"The US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said Friday that there is a possible safety issue with the bivalent Covid-19 vaccine made by Pfizer and BioNTech ... people age 65 and older who got a bivalent booster might be more likely to have ischemic strokes within the first three weeks after their shots."
CNN
January 13, 2023

There's also that confusing research about whether someone who has the vaccine is more susceptible to illness (posted upthread). I still don't fully understand those research results.
Otto, I bolded part of your second sentence. An ischemic stroke affects the brain, not the heart, so I'm not sure why you used that wording. Can you clarify?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eric.joel.rondo.sanchez