Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #91

Status
Not open for further replies.
A ‘perfect storm’ is brewing in the global response to Covid, WEF risk report panelist warns

This article, I believe, was source material for the report on NBC News -

Okay. I truly apologize if I offended anyone - this was not my intention. As I watched the early edition of NBC News, this was a big story - I actually was able to quote the reporter as I was typing the post. The word 'hoarding' was used several times in regards to the amount of vaccine each country has- again, I meant no disrespect and I sincerely apologize for any disrespect- it is NEVER okay to provoke or purposely offend anyone in a forum such as this.

I am, actually, very interested in what others think about how much vaccine each country has - as most of you are aware, the US has had a very tumultuous year and there are many questions about who gets the vaccine and who doesn't. I am truly interested in what other areas of the world are doing or if this has been an issue. I mean, let's face it, the United States has not handled the COVID-19 pandemic very well -
I do want to know what is happening in our neighbor countries.

Again, I am sorry if the post offended you or if you felt I was being disrespectful. That was never my intention.

No worries. You gave us the opportunity to explain what is happening in our countries. We are not hoarding. We have ordered (and paid for) a variety of vaccines, in case some never come to fruition, because they were unsuccessful. It was a smart thing to do.

If there is any surplus, it will be going straight into Covax - for underpriviliged countries - as agreed.
Plus Australia will be manufacturing low-cost vaccines for other countries, when AstraZeneca is approved.

The America First (and only) policy has not left a good taste in our mouths. Hopefully that will be changing with the US now rejoining WHO. :)

Last edited:
Looks like some economic relief is coming for the US people hardest hit during this pandemic.

US President Joe Biden has sped up financial relief for millions affected by the COVID-19 pandemic in his latest executive orders.

The two executive orders Mr Biden signed would increase food aid, protect job seekers on unemployment and clear a path for federal workers and contractors to get a $US15 ($AUD19.44) hourly minimum wage.

This comes as Congress begins to consider his much larger $US1.9 trillion ($AUD2.46 trillion) package.

"This can help tens of millions of families, especially those who cannot provide meals for their kids," Mr Biden said.

"A lot of Americans are hurting. The virus is surging.

Mr Biden described the pandemic situation in the US as bleak, and said the virus could not be stopped in the next several months.

The nation's death toll has just passed 400,000, with the new President stating the toll could reach 600,000.

Nearly 10 million jobs have been lost since last February, and nearly 30 million households lack secure access to food.

Biden lifts minimum wage, offers economic relief in latest executive orders

Texas Doc Accused of Taking Damaged Vial of COVID-19 Vaccine
More at link
If convicted, he faces up to a year in jail and a $4,000 fine
January 22, 2021
A Houston area health department doctor accused by prosecutors of stealing nine doses of coronavirus vaccine from a damaged vial and administering them to family and friends insists he did nothing wrong and was only trying to ensure the vaccine was not wasted, his attorney said Thursday.

Authorities allege that Hasan Gokal, who worked for Harris County Public Health, stole a vial of the Moderna coronavirus vaccine while working at a vaccination site at a suburban Houston park on Dec. 29.

Gokal told a health department employee earlier this month that “he had taken a punctured vial of the Moderna vaccine ... at the end of operations and that he took the vial offsite and vaccinated his friends and family,” according to a probable cause complaint.

Prosecutors determined Gokal, 48, had given the vaccine to nine individuals, including his wife, according to the complaint.

“He abused his position to place his friends and family in line in front of people who had gone through the lawful process to be there,” said Harris County District Attorney Kim Ogg. “What he did was illegal and he’ll be held accountable under the law.”

Paul Doyle, an attorney for Gokal, called his client a “dedicated public servant who ensured that COVID-19 vaccine dosages that would have otherwise expired went into the arms of people who met the criteria for receiving it.

Oh, how awful for you. I am so sorry. May healing come quickly. It's hard for me to remember that some people know many who have died when I don't even know anyone who's been sick, at least not directly. I hope that the change in government direction in the US will result in getting the virus under control, seeing consistently fewer cases, and ending the carnage.

Biden said it is going to take a long time to get this under control. Think about it, it took a year of total neglect of managing this virus to get to where we are----over 400,000 dead and counting. I have to say I never thought we would get to this point. I must have been naive . The 1918 pandemic took 675,000 lives and I am thinking we could equal that or pass that horrific number of souls -- especially now with the variants that
have appeared recently.

I had posted this comment in another thread specifically about the vaccine supplies. Please take it as a tongue-in-cheek post with a very genuine concern. I have enormous respect for all countries dealing with this nightmare virus.

Please excuse my ignorance if this has been posted and discussed - it is my first comment in this forum/thread.
SO --
What is with Canada, Japan, and Australia turning into Irma - my "dig in everyone's trash to collect random items" hoarding neighbor?

According to NBC News, Australia, Canada, and Japan are being accused of hoarding tons of vaccine - hence, my comparison to Irma.

Currently, Canada is reported to have enough vaccine for every single citizen 6 times over. And Austrailia has approximately 1% of worldwide COVID-19 cases, and yet, they have 6% of the total amount of vaccine in the world!
If Japan is thrown into the mix - these three countries have a total of 20% of all the total vaccine available worldwide. Wow. It's like toilet paper 6 months ago. Or, Costco selling vaccine and 3 people buy everything.

I have no distain for the health officials in these three countries. Actually, just the opposite. These countries, obviously, have great concern for their citizens and wanted to secure as much vaccine as possible.

The health officials in Japan, Australia, and Canada are concerned about their citizens and they acted quickly. Frankly, sitting here in the US, I am quite envious.
I would like to ask other posters if they have an issue with so much vaccine in places where there are less victims. Obviously, the vaccine will not be used right away as there is so much excess. What if other countries are in need of vaccine immediately and there is none available? Should victims have to endure suffering and death just because their country's health officials were unable to get vaccine when available? And, should country's like Australia be made to give up their stock?

Honestly, I am at a loss on this one. With so much death, even one day makes a huge impact. The sooner ALL people have access to the vaccine, the better off our world will be. This virus just sucks and there have already been so many who've died. I hate to think of healthy people who are ready to be vaccinated waiting even a day or an hour.
I think the news story you are referring to may have been talking about total ordered all together, rather than total received. And totals ordered in the end would presumably include allowances for wastage, and possibly sharing with other countries in need. Canada is way short of vaccines available to provide for its citizens and our govt is telling us that most of our population 'who wishes to be vaccinated' should be vaccinated by September 2021, 9 months from now. This week our province's premier asked the US government for one million doses because Pfizer isn't sending any to us at all in the next week or so.

Ford asks U.S. to donate 1M vaccines, gets crude when talking about Pfizer executive

Pfizer tells Canada it will not receive any Covid-19 vaccine doses next week - CNN

A ‘perfect storm’ is brewing in the global response to Covid, WEF risk report panelist warns

This article, I believe, was source material for the report on NBC News -

Okay. I truly apologize if I offended anyone - this was not my intention. As I watched the early edition of NBC News, this was a big story - I actually was able to quote the reporter as I was typing the post. The word 'hoarding' was used several times in regards to the amount of vaccine each country has- again, I meant no disrespect and I sincerely apologize for any disrespect- it is NEVER okay to provoke or purposely offend anyone in a forum such as this.

I am, actually, very interested in what others think about how much vaccine each country has - as most of you are aware, the US has had a very tumultuous year and there are many questions about who gets the vaccine and who doesn't. I am truly interested in what other areas of the world are doing or if this has been an issue. I mean, let's face it, the United States has not handled the COVID-19 pandemic very well -
I do want to know what is happening in our neighbor countries.

Again, I am sorry if the post offended you or if you felt I was being disrespectful. That was never my intention.
Wouldn't it be difficult to hoard such a thing as a vaccination with an expiry date? I thought I had read something in the last few days about a bunch of vaccines wasted due to expiry, and I wondered at the time, wow, how long are they good for, a month? Might have been more fake news though. ??

Biden said it is going to take a long time to get this under control. Think about it, it took a year of total neglect of managing this virus to get to where we are----over 400,000 dead and counting. I have to say I never thought we would get to this point. I must have been naive . The 1918 pandemic took 675,000 lives and I am thinking we could equal that or pass that horrific number of souls -- especially now with the variants that
have appeared recently.

Wings - You are not naive in any way.
This evil virus is a nightmare in the speed with which it kills, and the ease of contagion.

A few statistics on total US deaths for events from the 20th Century:

Vietnam War: 58,000
WW2: 418,000
Civil War: 620,000

These numbers include both military and civilian casualties.

Since the first AIDS/HIV patient was diagnosed sometime in 1969, there have been 700,000 US deaths.

It is interesting to note that all of these these deadly events took place over the course of years and the public had time to process and grieve. Unfortunately, the COVID virus has taken hold so quickly, and the US was behind in treatment, research, and vaccine rollout. However, even with a late start, researchers discovered a vaccine that worked. Unfortunately, the virus was now spreading so fast and hundreds were dying each day.

We could have done so much to prepare the public before the virus hit. But, with poor leadership and no plan in place, the United States gave the virus time to get a foothold and overwhelm our heathcare system.

I am not saying we would have no death, but the total would have been much lower. I mean, seriously, masks became a political issue - what a nightmare. I place blame squarely on the shoulders of our leaders. They failed us in almost every way.

Last edited:
I can speak for Australia. We don't actually have any of the vaccines yet - not a single one of us has been vaccinated.

We are meant to be getting 10,000,000 doses of Pfizer in 'early 2021'. I saw them speaking about it on TV the other night .. for healthcare workers and long term care residents & workers .. maybe next month.

I don't know where you are getting the 'hordes' from. We have bought in to 4 vaccines. Which means we have provided money for their research and development.
None of them are available yet (except Pfizer, which we are yet to receive). When AstraZeneca becomes available we will be manufacturing it for ourselves and other countries in our vicinity.

With regard to should we be getting vaccinated when others are in such a mess, primarily of their own doing. Yes, we should. We haven't sacrificed everything that we have sacrificed for nothing. (Our low case rate didn't happen by magic or 'because we are an island' or because it was 'easier for them'.)

That is like saying "You have been a good boy Johnnie and tried so hard, as a reward you get nothing. Just live under your restrictions till we get every other contaminated place done".

Australia’s vaccine agreements

We have also heavily agreed to Covax ... that is, to help vaccinate the underpriviliged areas of the world. Which is something that the US has not done.

And we still have 40,000 Aussies overseas (the number keeps on growing as the world deteriorates) that are coming home in dribs and drabs (6,000 per week) due to our very strict covid controls.

As for people like myself, I likely won't be vaccinated until October or so.
At least 20 months of restrictions for me. A full year and three quarters, or more.
It’s hard isn’t it with all the restrictions!

I was initially told August but I hope that will change in the coming months.

It’s difficult to imagine another 7-8 months of restrictions like this. Since the first of March being restricted to your house, no visits from other family members, wearing a mask every time you step out of the house, cringing when you encounter a neighbor not wearing one or fearing a quick run into the grocery store because half the people won’t wear a mask, wiping down groceries every week, no eating in a restaurant, no haircuts, duct taping your glasses because they broke and you can’t be face to face with anyone due to the rampart spread, wistfully missing your coworkers (well, most of them) and your career you spent 20 years building.....how quick Covid yanked things away from us.

Last edited:
IOC chief Bach floats possibility of no fans at Tokyo Games

IOC chief Bach floats possibility of no fans at Tokyo Games

There are not going to be any Olympics this year. This "chief" is either flat out lying, or he's an idiot.

Seriously, how many countries are going to send their delegation to Japan less than 6 months from now? A better title for this article would be "IOC chief Bach floats possibility of no athletes at Tokyo Games."

NOTE: Correction to above post. I ASSumed due to header he was back..and posted prior to listening to. he's not due to visa issues. He had a job interview a few hours ago at a prison. Oh dear.

He's second guessing his decision of leaving Wuhan on January 31st 2020.

Last edited:
In the UK -Its not hospital deaths that have risen, it seems to be those staying at home with "happy hypoxia" or arriving too late, and dying before they realize they are ill. The virus variant appears to be suppressing the receptors that trigger the body's natural response to low blood oxygen. (Could speculate with this new variant the receptors are blocked more)

Usually by the time your oxygen saturation is at 90% you will be struggling, breathing heavy, panting and not able to walk from room to room. This is because as your blood oxygen levels drop, it triggers a protective response that tells you to increase breathing rate, limit your movement, changes BP, BPM and activates oxygen saving processes. meanwhile you will be in an ambulance getting oxygen, etc. That's how ill you will be. With this virus variant, they say this natural trigger just isn't happening until very low oxygen levels, it is being suppressed. So they are seeing patients as low as 82% still talking, and walking with no idea they are suffocating. They are "happy Hypoxic"

In light of this the UK government has issued advice for people to buy pulse oximeters and use them after diagnosis to monitor their own oxygen levels. They have started issuing them in a trial themselves. Seems like good advice. If you don't have one, though I know most of you will, get one from Amazon before they get short supply.

Covid: How a £20 gadget could save lives

In the UK -Its not hospital deaths that have risen, it seems to be those staying at home with "happy hypoxia" or arriving too late, and dying before they realize they are ill. The virus variant appears to be suppressing the receptors that trigger the body's natural response to low blood oxygen. (Could speculate with this new variant the receptors are blocked more)

Usually by the time your oxygen saturation is at 90% you will be struggling, breathing heavy, panting and not able to walk from room to room. This is because as your blood oxygen levels drop, it triggers a protective response that tells you to increase breathing rate, limit your movement, changes BP, BPM and activates oxygen saving processes. meanwhile you will be in an ambulance getting oxygen, etc. That's how ill you will be. With this virus variant, they say this natural trigger just isn't happening until very low oxygen levels, it is being suppressed. So they are seeing patients as low as 82% still talking, and walking with no idea they are suffocating. They are "happy Hypoxic"

In light of this the UK government has issued advice for people to buy pulse oximeters and use them after diagnosis to monitor their own oxygen levels. They have started issuing them in a trial themselves. Seems like good advice. If you don't have one, though I know most of you will, get one from Amazon before they get short supply.

Covid: How a £20 gadget could save lives

Many here on early threads, following Dr. Campbell, purchased them last February. I purchased mine on February 23rd of 2020, the same brand that Dr. Campbell uses.

It's now back to $19.95 which is the price I purchased it for before it went up to $30 in April last year. Zacurate brand.

I believe it's just as important to have in a medicine cabinet as a thermometer. Basic for if/when you need such. MOO

Dr. Seheult/MedCram and Dr. Campbell were discussing such, and the "happy hypoxia" at that time in February.

Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #30

Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #49

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members