Facial Masks - Coronavirus

Fogging on your glasses is directly related to the fit of the mask, not the brand or style. I make all mine and the style for my big wide face is the "smile mask" which is rectangular. It fits below my glasses just under the little nose pads. I make them with 100% cotton and it is 2 layers.

I also make the type that have the seam down the middle that can hold a nose wire and a disposable liner. I personally don't like these as well. Most people prefer these based on the people who have asked me to make them some.

I've also heard there is a spray that you use on your lenses that will help but I've never tried that.

Snipped -

Thanks MsJosie! Wow, I've been gone from message boards for so long, I just realized I used to "Snip" the quote when replying, hope that's still appropriate - I have a lot of catching up to do!!

Thanks for the link, I've seen all those tricks before and the only thing I HAVEN'T tried IS the soap thing - so I guess I'll give that a shot and experiment while at home for a bit before I have to travel. Thanks!!

Thanks for the reply! I can do minor hand-sewing, but nothing that would require a sewing machine or seamstress knowledge, lol! What kind of "altering" did you find helped with the glasses not fogging?

Sorry guys, didn't realize there was a whole thread for this - I've been away from WS for a looong time, obviously! I will start from the beginning on this thread hoping to find some suggestions of ones to purchase.
I use these on both my homemade masks and store bought ones to tighten the mask up. If I forget them, I knot the ear loops to tighten them up.

https://smile.amazon.com/OCEANTREE-Adjuster-Silicone-Drawstring-100PCS-Black/dp/B08C7CRBPP

Snipped -

Thanks MsJosie! Wow, I've been gone from message boards for so long, I just realized I used to "Snip" the quote when replying, hope that's still appropriate - I have a lot of catching up to do!!

Thanks for the link, I've seen all those tricks before and the only thing I HAVEN'T tried IS the soap thing - so I guess I'll give that a shot and experiment while at home for a bit before I have to travel. Thanks!!

Here's how I knotted a disposable one today to make it more snug.

Attachments

• IMG_19042021_164239_(3000_x_2250_pixel).jpg
    IMG_19042021_164239_(3000_x_2250_pixel).jpg
    254.7 KB · Views: 11
I use these on both my homemade masks and store bought ones to tighten the mask up. If I forget them, I knot the ear loops to tighten them up.

https://smile.amazon.com/OCEANTREE-Adjuster-Silicone-Drawstring-100PCS-Black/dp/B08C7CRBPP

Simple thing to try, thanks! I wonder if my problem with having to tighten the mask so much to reduce the glasses fog has to do with my having copd and trouble breathing to begin with? Hmmmm. I'm going to have to start wearing it at home and trying different things to find what works best for me for my upcoming trip.

You can also try twisting the loops -- kind of makes a figure 8 -- to tighten the mask. Sometimes works fitting masks to kids.

Your Mileage May Vary, Lather Rinse Repeat for a few more months....

Simple thing to try, thanks! I wonder if my problem with having to tighten the mask so much to reduce the glasses fog has to do with my having copd and trouble breathing to begin with? Hmmmm. I'm going to have to start wearing it at home and trying different things to find what works best for me for my upcoming trip.
Ok, well these have a good bit of breathing room and I like them for a disposable mask.
https://smile.amazon.com/20Packs-KF94-Protective-Individually-Certified/dp/B08KDGFD1D

Do I need a mask outdoors? CDC says certain activities are safe for fully vaccinated people (nbcnews.com)

It's unclear how much the new guidance will change people's behavior, experts say.

Outdoor activities are safe without masks — regardless of whether a person is vaccinated — as long as people are either alone or with immediate family members, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said Tuesday. And fully vaccinated people can gather safely outdoors without masks in small groups.

The new guidance is part of an update from the agency on what activities are safest for Americans, depending on whether they are fully vaccinated; that is, those who are two weeks out from their last dose of Covid-19 vaccine.

People who are fully vaccinated should also feel comfortable without face coverings outside with other small groups when it's unclear whether others have had their shots...

I just made black masks for my aunts and me last week for a family funeral. Orders have finally slowed down, but unfortunately I now see the need to make a bunch of black ones to have in reserve. I think I was in denial that we could lose someone close to us, or at least I felt like it was unlikely at this point now that the vaccine is available. But here we are.

Incidentally, I've started seeing people posting about their elastics starting to wear out. I make mine so that the elastic and nose wires can be replaced. I'm glad I did that now because it appears we will continue to need masks for awhile.

:DI just got another set of old navy masks for less than $4 (plus 7 shipping lol) this week

have been using my original set all year -alone (and doubled with another style), washed and air dried daily. They’ve held up so well. Am very happy with them. I think I paid 20 including shipping at the time.
Variety 5-Pack of Triple-Layer Cloth Pleated Face Masks for Adults | Old Navy
The basic pleated with no ear adjusters is what I use.

I know there are better buying options (local/small biz)but it was mainly budget for me. And I never had a good local affordable. source (and am limited to basically only online shopping)

Last edited:
I'm hearing other countries implementing fines for people not wearing masks. Can't blame them as the spikes in other places are scary. People are just dying in the streets.

I love the masks from Old Navy, and even had the Christmas themed ones that I wore during the season. I still have plenty of the other kinds. I also like some cotton masks from Amazon that have the seam down the middle, but now that I'm fully vaccinated, masks are mostly for when I'm around others, and definitely indoors in public places.

I went to the food distribution last week. If you showed your card, they gave you a package of masks. This is the 2nd time they’ve done that. The USDA program distributes them if I remember right for another arm of the gov’t. I’m not positive tho.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zootopian2
Back