Food and Recipes while under Coronavirus quarantine #2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trudie

Reaction score
Last edited by a moderator:
Happy New Year! I am enjoying leftovers from our takeout dinner for brunch. While it wasn't the same as going out to dinner on NYE, DH and I had a lovely meal from one of our favorite restaurants. We sat in the dining room which we rarely use and savored each course just like we would have at Picano's. We started off with "stick wine" that DH bought at Nino's - one of our favorite wines at Picano's Tralcetto Montepulciano | Cantina Zaccagnini while we ate our house salads and garlic rolls. We both had veal entrees that are accompanied by a side of pasta - perfectly al dente penne with Picano's house-made meat sauce. DH had Veal Piccante (mushrooms and lemons in wine sauce), and I had my favorite Veal Mama Assunta (artichokes, mushrooms, and lemons in wine sauce). Both dishes are heavy on the garlic :D

We didn't have the TV on like we usually do during dinner, and though we missed Picano's ambiance, it was a lovely NYE dining experience. The one thing that was missing was the Italian music that is usually playing softly in Picano's - Frank Sinatra, Tony Bennett, Dean Martin, Perry Como, Connie Francis, etc. and opera selections occasionally. I chastised myself for not researching music sites that play the hits of the Italian crooners. We rarely have dessert at Picano's as we're usually quite satisfied with the meal, but we sometimes get cannolis to-go. DH asked of I wanted a cannoli, but I declined. I don't know if Picano's cannolis are made in-house, but they are awesome!

Black-eyed peas are simmering gently, and I will start prepping the rest of the dish later today. Food Network has a Triple D marathon that will entertain me while I'm working in the kitchen. Enjoy your day :)

Last edited:
Happy New Year from soggy NC!

We had homemade meatloaf for dinner and a salad with greens, tomato, and avocado, plus some sweet little carrots. The greens, tomato, and carrots came from the farmers market. There's a vendor there that grows hothouse tomatoes that taste like summer tomatoes--they are so good!

For NYE, we also had restaurant takeout: shrimp tacos (with delicious NC shrimp), pupusas with chicken Tinga filling, and guacamole and tortilla chips. There was also some pickled slaw. Very tasty meal! We had the leftovers for lunch today.

RSBM We both had veal entrees that are accompanied by a side of pasta - perfectly al dente penne with Picano's house-made meat sauce. DH had Veal Piccante (mushrooms and lemons in wine sauce), and I had my favorite Veal Mama Assunta (artichokes, mushrooms, and lemons in wine sauce). Both dishes are heavy on the garlic :D

We didn't have the TV on like we usually do during dinner, and though we missed Picano's ambiance, it was a lovely NYE dining experience. The one thing that was missing was the Italian music that is usually playing softly in Picano's - Frank Sinatra, Tony Bennett, Dean Martin, Perry Como, Connie Francis, etc. and opera selections occasionally. I chastised myself for not researching music sites that play the hits of the Italian crooners. We rarely have dessert at Picano's as we're usually quite satisfied with the meal, but we sometimes get cannolis to-go. DH asked of I wanted a cannoli, but I declined. I don't know if Picano's cannolis are made in-house, but they are awesome!

Black-eyed peas are simmering gently, and I will start prepping the rest of the dish later today. Food Network has a Triple D marathon that will entertain me while I'm working in the kitchen. Enjoy your day :)

You have inspired me @BetteDavisEyes ! I live alone, and recall one of my favorite meals during the pandemic was when I wanted pasta alfredo and chicken picatta, and I did an impromptu that day. Your post has made me salivate...Piccata YES capers YES artichokes YES mushrooms YES veal YES (although I do chicken as replacement) etc.

I have just gone into my Kroger trunk delivery app for my next order and added more capers, mushrooms, the correct pasta, and the boneless chicken (I just cannot fathom someone picking out my veal).

9:16 in the am and I'm salivating and looking forward to it!

Thank you for giving me the aspiration to allow myself to treat myself!

You have inspired me @BetteDavisEyes ! I live alone, and recall one of my favorite meals during the pandemic was when I wanted pasta alfredo and chicken picatta, and I did an impromptu that day. Your post has made me salivate...Piccata YES capers YES artichokes YES mushrooms YES veal YES (although I do chicken as replacement) etc.

I have just gone into my Kroger trunk delivery app for my next order and added more capers, mushrooms, the correct pasta, and the boneless chicken (I just cannot fathom someone picking out my veal).

Enjoy your special meal, Dixie!

I have a friend in Minn. that cant wait for CO peaches every year.
Count me as one who gets peaches from Palisade in Colorado every year (except 2020 of course). I'm in KS. A little store about 30 mins from me gets boxes of them every year. People call to reserve them--you have to be on the list or you don't get any. They sell out every year. Really really good peaches. I canned some year before last and still have one precious jar left.

We ended up with both a white Christmas and a white New Year's here in metro Detroit. Snowed a couple of inches yesterday, then there was sleet and rain, back to more snow overnight. DH is clearing half the driveway now and will finish the rest after his swim.

My black-eyed peas concoction turned out to be a cross between Hoppin- John and Jambalaya. DH loves beans and rice and thought it was awesome - of course he'd say that :D I cooked a pound of black-eyes peas and added andouille sausage, onion, celery, carrot, red pepper, spinach, Cajun seasoning, salt, pepper, chicken stock, and 1/2 cup Jasmine rice. I roasted eight large shrimp with olive oil, salt, pepper, and Cajun seasoning for garnish. Was it authentic southern cuisine? Probably not, but the meal was very satisfying - and there are lots of leftovers. No cooking for the rest of the weekend, but I will bake a bundt pound cake before heavy cream expires.

Last edited:
This winter in Montana has been amazing, one huge blizzard in October, mild Temps since then. I routinely check it with temp in Las Vegas, we have been running just about 10 degrees cooler than Vegas.

No cooking, we are have tangerines, and bananas for breakfast with cranberry scones from Costco.

You are always so kind and generous to others, you absolutely deserve to treat yourself to a very special meal :) Chicken breast is always a good substitution for veal, and Picano's will prepare any veal dish with chicken breast, or any chicken dish with veal, if preferred. I rarely cook veal at home because it is so delicate - not to mention expensive! - and, if not cooked perfectly, it becomes rubbery. Enjoy your special dinner!

Bought all the ingredients including red potatoes for this recipe tonight:

French Potato Salad...

"For all of you out there who don’t love mayo — or really, for any of you who just really love all things lemony and garlicky and ultra-herby — today’s new potato salad recipe is for you!"

I like mayo - just not on potato (or pasta) salad. When I make potato salad, I make something similar to this recipe.

I just finsihed watching The Kitchen - one of my favorite Food Network shows. The episode "Food Forecast" premiered yesterday, but I wasn't really paying attention even though I had the TV on. The show featured the "produce predictions" of the hosts, and each presented a recipe using the vegetable that they think will be popular in 2021: cabbage, celery root, eggplant, turnips, and vegetable tops. The show is on again tomorrow at noon in case you want to watch or record. Here are the recipes from the episode.

Food Forecast | The Kitchen | Food Network

During one of his trips to Meijer last week, DH found discounted holiday candies and bought a bag of Hershey's kisses. I'm going to bake peanut butter blossoms today. Below is my standard peanut butter cookie recipe. For the "blossoms", I roll the balls of dough in turbinado sugar, then place them on a baking sheet. The cookies will spread on their own, and as soon as they're removed from the oven, press a Hershey's kiss in the center of each cookie. Yummy!

MRS. FIELDS PEANUT BUTTER COOKIES recipe | Epicurious.com

I made Turkey Shepherd's pie yesterday. We ordered breakfast takeout on Friday after DH got a haircut, and I had a mani/pedi. We always tell them to skip the potatoes, but many times, we get them anyway. We put our breakfast potatoes in a storage container to save for another meal. I spread them on the turkey/vegetable mixture, sprinkled with a little kosher salt and shredded Gruyere cheese. Not as pretty as fluffy mashed potatoes on top the meat mixture, but it was delicious :)

During one of his trips to Meijer last week, DH found discounted holiday candies and bought a bag of Hershey's kisses. I'm going to bake peanut butter blossoms today. Below is my standard peanut butter cookie recipe. For the "blossoms", I roll the balls of dough in turbinado sugar, then place them on a baking sheet. The cookies will spread on their own, and as soon as they're removed from the oven, press a Hershey's kiss in the center of each cookie. Yummy!

MRS. FIELDS PEANUT BUTTER COOKIES recipe | Epicurious.com

I made Turkey Shepherd's pie yesterday. We ordered breakfast takeout on Friday after DH got a haircut, and I had a mani/pedi. We always tell them to skip the potatoes, but many times, we get them anyway. We put our breakfast potatoes in a storage container to save for another meal. I spread them on the turkey/vegetable mixture, sprinkled with a little kosher salt and shredded Gruyere cheese. Not as pretty as fluffy mashed potatoes on top the meat mixture, but it was delicious :)
Recipes sound as good as always, but strikes me from your post is how different things are here in the UK right now.

All hairdressers and beauty salons closed by law, home visits not allowed. Keeping it foodie tho:

My local pub closed in December, even for take out.

I dont remember the last time we had pizza or Chinese food delivered (our only other options living where we do). I think Mr HKP picked up fish and chips maybe early December, that was the last take out. They are open, we are just avoiding all non essential contact because the new strain is ripping through our area.

I dont remember the last time we went to a supermarket or food store of any kind. We have one delivery which is set up for Fridays. They are open, and legally we can go, but I'm hearing more and more about store workers testing positive so we avoid.

We're only allowed by law to leave the house for essential reasons and police are issuing fines everywhere (one woman just had one for sitting on a park bench). So we cant go and picnic outdoors, although it's very chilly anyway.

Mr HKP is taking packed lunch with him to work like a little kid, again to avoid non essential contact.

I'm working from home every day again, good news for lunchtime soups anyway.

This isnt meant to be a downer post. More just, enjoy the freedoms you have at the mo but take care and prepare as you need to. My doomsday cupboard is standing me in good stead right now.

Back to easier ground...

Just about to roll out pastry for (another!) quiche here and I made carrot cake yesterday which we can have after ;).

Recipes sound as good as always, but strikes me from your post is how different things are here in the UK right now.

All hairdressers and beauty salons closed by law, home visits not allowed. Keeping it foodie tho:

My local pub closed in December, even for take out.

I dont remember the last time we had pizza or Chinese food delivered (our only other options living where we do). I think Mr HKP picked up fish and chips maybe early December, that was the last take out. They are open, we are just avoiding all non essential contact because the new strain is ripping through our area.

I dont remember the last time we went to a supermarket or food store of any kind. We have one delivery which is set up for Fridays. They are open, and legally we can go, but I'm hearing more and more about store workers testing positive so we avoid.

We're only allowed by law to leave the house for essential reasons and police are issuing fines everywhere (one woman just had one for sitting on a park bench). So we cant go and picnic outdoors, although it's very chilly anyway.

Mr HKP is taking packed lunch with him to work like a little kid, again to avoid non essential contact.

I'm working from home every day again, good news for lunchtime soups anyway.

This isnt meant to be a downer post. More just, enjoy the freedoms you have at the mo but take care and prepare as you need to. My doomsday cupboard is standing me in good stead right now.

Back to easier ground...

Just about to roll out pastry for (another!) quiche here and I made carrot cake yesterday which we can have after ;).
I had a friend call me last Sunday. She wanted to know if I was interested in joining her for some shopping at the outlet mall. She wanted to go to some store because she had coupons. I was like, "Uh, no, I'm staying home. It is too scary out there!" She had C-19 last summer. She's also 48 and healthy.

I leave for my food / med pickups, and my doctor appts, gas fill-up. Take out food, once in the last month? I did venture to the grocery store this week. I hadn't been in weeks but needed random stuff for my recipes.

All hairdressers and beauty salons closed by law, home visits not allowed...

<respectfully snipped>

Here in Michigan - the "mitten" state - our Governor has run a pretty tight ship since last March. For several months, only essential businesses were permitted to stay open - grocery stores, pharmacies, restaurants open for takeout only, etc. Hair and nail salons were shuttered, gyms and other recreational facilities were closed, schools were ordered closed, etc. It was grim, so those of us who were under tight lockdown in Michigan for months can certainly understand how you feel. Other states were not as restricted and have had much more freedom to enjoy life almost as normally as possible.

I would like a slice of carrot cake, please. It's one of my favorite desserts :)

<respectfully snipped>

Here in Michigan - the "mitten" state - our Governor has run a pretty tight ship since last March. For several months, only essential businesses were permitted to stay open - grocery stores, pharmacies, restaurants open for takeout only, etc. Hair and nail salons were shuttered, gyms and other recreational facilities were closed, schools were ordered closed, etc. It was grim, so those of us who were under tight lockdown in Michigan for months can certainly understand how you feel. Other states were not as restricted and have had much more freedom to enjoy life almost as normally as possible.

I would like a slice of carrot cake, please. It's one of my favorite desserts :)
Hehe sending it your way!

We had the same last summer too. This is our third lockdown, but I think it will last a couple of months at least and get v strict, v quickly. People did start to bulk buy again last week but I think that eased off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member