Food and Recipes while under Coronavirus quarantine #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm going to make this lemon cheesecake today. I'm not a big fan of lemon but I do like lemon square bars on occasion. It is 89 deg with the "feels like" temp of 101 and it's only noon. A cool creamy dessert for the week sounds perfect. I have some frozen blueberries that I will sprinkle on the top before I bake it. I think it will be an delicious complement to the lemon flavor. I also have cool whip in the freezer. I could put a spoonful on top when I eat it.

We went to Picano's on Friday night, and I ordered one of the newer chicken dishes on the menu. It's called Chicken Lamborghini and is julienned chicken breast, onions, peppers, plum tomatoes, Cajun spices with fettucine. I had wanted to try it previously but thought it might be too spicy. The dish was delicious and had a bit of a kick but was definitely not overly spicy. As with most of Picano's pasta dishes, the portion was way more than I could eat at one sitting, so I enjoyed it again yesterday. I was curious about a recipe for Chicken Lamborghini and was more than a little surprised with what I learned.

Google search didn't yield recipes for Chicken Lamborghini. Instead, I learned that Lamborghini chicken refers to a very expensive breed found in Indonesia. The pricy poultry is a rare black bird that is hailed as the "Lamborghini" of chickens due to its exorbitant price tag. The chicken-pasta entree at Picano's, with its Cajun "blackened" chicken and vegetables, probably got its name from the unique black chicken. I told DH that the dish was similar to Ratatouille with chicken added and served with pasta. I think I can easily replicate the dish, and I might even add eggplant and/or zucchini.

@BetteDavisEyes your posts always make me hungry! Thanks for sharing. I need to step up my game so I have something to share here!

I'm going to make this lemon cheesecake today. I'm not a big fan of lemon but I do like lemon square bars on occasion. It is 89 deg with the "feels like" temp of 101 and it's only noon. A cool creamy dessert for the week sounds perfect. I have some frozen blueberries that I will sprinkle on the top before I bake it. I think it will be an delicious complement to the lemon flavor. I also have cool whip in the freezer. I could put a spoonful on top when I eat it.

@PayrollNerd that is the perfect treat for a hot day.

I love anything with lemon flavor and would probably enjoy this dessert. Cheesecake of any kind is a favorite, and I can enjoy small amounts of cheesecake despite my lactose intolerance. We had takeout from P.F. Chang's last weekend, and I ordered their cheesecake for dessert. It was to die for! New York style cheesecake that was about 5" high with amazing graham cracker crust, fresh berries, and raspberry syrup. It was enough for two people, but DH didn't want any, so I ate half and had the other half the following day.

Attachments

• 3FE2E22E-662F-467C-BA42-C78136B3922F.jpeg
    3FE2E22E-662F-467C-BA42-C78136B3922F.jpeg
    153.1 KB · Views: 9
  • 7094A85B-63A2-4E17-AC26-639893425896.jpeg
    7094A85B-63A2-4E17-AC26-639893425896.jpeg
    117.6 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:

Thanks for posting this recipe: I love lemon and I love an easy lemony cheesecake recipe even more--

I love anything with lemon flavor and would probably enjoy this dessert. Cheesecake of any kind is a favorite, and I can enjoy small amounts of cheesecake despite my lactose intolerance. We had takeout from P.F. Chang's last weekend, and I ordered their cheesecake for dessert. It was to die for! New York style cheesecake that was about 5" high with amazing graham cracker crust, fresh berries, and raspberry syrup. It was enough for two people, but DH didn't want any, so I ate half and had the other half the following day.

Have you had cheesecake at the Cheesecake Factory? If you love chocolate (like I do) you will love their Godiva chocolate cheesecake- It is a deep, rich chocolate , creamy cheesecake, too rich to eat the entire slice at one sitting--- (which is like 1300 calories)-- My husband and I usually get a couple slices of cheesecake once a year--- Godiva chocolate and Raspberry white chocolate and have it for a couple of days!!!!

Have you had cheesecake at the Cheesecake Factory? If you love chocolate (like I do) you will love their Godiva chocolate cheesecake- It is a deep, rich chocolate , creamy cheesecake, too rich to eat the entire slice at one sitting--- (which is like 1300 calories)-- My husband and I usually get a couple slices of cheesecake once a year--- Godiva chocolate and Raspberry white chocolate and have it for a couple of days!!!!
We've never been to The Cheesecake Factory even though one has opened in Michigan. Twelve Oaks Mall is a long drive from Rochester Hills. That said, we had planned to have late lunch at The Cheesecake Factory on Las Olas Blvd. in Fort Lauderdale when we spent a couple of pre-cruise days there some years ago. The place was packed with over an hour waitlist, so we decided to find somewhere else to go. We ended up at a charming bistro before boarding the Sun Trolley to return to our hotel. The Godiva chocolate cheesecake sounds deliciously decadent :)

Last edited:
We've never been to The Cheesecake Factory even though one has opened in Michigan. Twelve Oaks Mall is a long drive from Rochester Hills. That said, we had planned to have late lunch at The Cheesecake Factory on Las Olas Blvd. in Fort Lauderdale when we spent a couple of pre-cruise days there some years ago. The place was packed with over an hour waitlist, so we decided to find somewhere else to go. We ended up at a charming bistro before boarding the Sun Trolley to return to our hotel. The Godiva chocolate cheesecake sounds deliciously decadent :)

The Cheesecake Factory at the Twelve Oaks Mall is pretty close to my home--- their food is pretty good too: When they initially opened a few years ago the wait was ridiculously long, so we waited a couple years before we went there for lunch. The Godiva chocolate cheesecake is truly deliciously decadent!!!

Soup's on. It's not exactly soup weather, but I wanted to use up dried split peas, carrots, celery, and fresh parsley that have been around for a while. I chopped an onion, used up a carton of chicken stock plus water, and added a couple of ham hocks for flavor. When the soup is done, I will puree it with immersion blender. With a crusty loaf of bread, the soup will be a nice dinner with plenty of leftovers. Definitely no cooking tomorrow as it might be near 100* :eek:

I love reading your posts in this thread. Thought I would share one of my fav recipes from Nagi's website - Butter Chicken! I serve this over white rice, hubby loves it. I made the Naan bread using her recipe at this same link. Surprisingly easy. Butter Chicken

Also one of my favorite kemon pie recipes. It's a no bake and a gazillion calories, but so wonderful on hot summer days. I've also used this same recipe and made a chocolate cream pie, using coco powder in place of the lemon. Turned out just as good. Lemon Cream Pie with Graham Cracker Crust - Celebrating Sweets

@BetteDavisEyes - split pea soup, my favorite!!

I love reading your posts in this thread. Thought I would share one of my fav recipes from Nagi's website - Butter Chicken! I serve this over white rice, hubby loves it. I made the Naan bread using her recipe at this same link. Surprisingly easy. Butter Chicken

Also one of my favorite kemon pie recipes. It's a no bake and a gazillion calories, but so wonderful on hot summer days. I've also used this same recipe and made a chocolate cream pie, using coco powder in place of the lemon. Turned out just as good. Lemon Cream Pie with Graham Cracker Crust - Celebrating Sweets

Anything with a gazillion calories gets my vote. Nice to see you here :)

So I have “taught“ Mr HKP how to make a breaded chicken thing which he now likes to make. Not to get on a downer, but with the long Covid I sometimes don’t have energy to cook so he is doing his best to step in more. He is not a natural cook at all, so I really appreciate it.

Anyway, this is mega simple but here’s what we do.

Blitz some leftover bread into crumbs. Tonight he used soda bread. Then I tell him to mix in some spices from my selection, he chose Creole tonight.

Have three shallow bowls laid out - one with seasoned flour, one with egg, one with the spiced bread crumbs. Cut two chicken breasts (v strict about only free range organic here) into chunky sections and dip each section into flour, egg and crumbs. Put it on a baking tray which has a grease proof baking sheet laid out on it. Bake for about 30 minutes until it’s crunchy. Nice with lemon wedges and fresh parsley garnish.

My contribution was to make the coleslaw. I use half-half Greek yogurt and mayo, with the usual veg plus celery for extra texture.

Welcome to the foodie thread :) The Butter Chicken recipe sounds wonderful, but I have issues with too much dairy. I'm sure I'd love the dish but would probably regret eating it :eek:

I reallly fancy the butter chicken and also Mr HK's chicken, thanks for sharing!

I had the mother of all breakfasts this morning, smashed avocado on toast, topped with a poached egg, and a dusting of paprika on top! whoooh it was great! I was fasting yesterday (5.2 diet) so i literally fell alseep thinking of this dish last night :)

I reallly fancy the butter chicken and also Mr HK's chicken, thanks for sharing!

I had the mother of all breakfasts this morning, smashed avocado on toast, topped with a poached egg, and a dusting of paprika on top! whoooh it was great! I was fasting yesterday (5.2 diet) so i literally fell alseep thinking of this dish last night :)
I love avocado toast! I've never had a "professional" version, but there is avocado toast on the menu at Shine Cafe - the breakfast place we've recently discovered. I will order it with a poached egg on our next visit.

AVOCADO TOAST​

avocado, diced tomato, feta, balsamic glaze on everything toast

The Cheesecake Factory at the Twelve Oaks Mall is pretty close to my home--- their food is pretty good too: When they initially opened a few years ago the wait was ridiculously long, so we waited a couple years before we went there for lunch. The Godiva chocolate cheesecake is truly deliciously decadent!!!
Does this recipe look like the Godiva chocolate cheesecake that is served at The Cheesecake Factory? Ultimate Chocolate Cheesecake | Dessert Recipes | GODIVA

Last edited:

June 23 is Detroit-Style Pizza Day: Here's where to celebrate​

There are a lot of national food holidays celebrating certain dishes, cuisines and condiments, but none more cheesy and delicious as National Detroit-Style Pizza Day, June 23.

The holiday was born last year when Buddy's Day, which was named by Detroit Mayor Dave Bing in 2011, evolved to National Detroit-Style Pizza Day. This was part of the year-long, 75th anniversary celebration for the Buddy's Pizza brand.

Naturally, Buddy's will be leading the charge to make this day for square pizza a chance to raise money for charity. The originator of Detroit-style pizza via former owner Gus Guerra (who went on to found Cloverleaf Pizza), Buddy's is calling on Detroit-style pizzerias across the nation to give back to their communities.

On Thursday, June 23, Buddy's is donating $1 from every pizza sold to the Salvation Army...

June 23 is Detroit-Style Pizza Day: Here's where to celebrate​

There are a lot of national food holidays celebrating certain dishes, cuisines and condiments, but none more cheesy and delicious as National Detroit-Style Pizza Day, June 23.

The holiday was born last year when Buddy's Day, which was named by Detroit Mayor Dave Bing in 2011, evolved to National Detroit-Style Pizza Day. This was part of the year-long, 75th anniversary celebration for the Buddy's Pizza brand.

Naturally, Buddy's will be leading the charge to make this day for square pizza a chance to raise money for charity. The originator of Detroit-style pizza via former owner Gus Guerra (who went on to found Cloverleaf Pizza), Buddy's is calling on Detroit-style pizzerias across the nation to give back to their communities.

On Thursday, June 23, Buddy's is donating $1 from every pizza sold to the Salvation Army...
I had to Google it.

It reminds me of my younger days, out and about late nights in London. Leicester Square used to have takeaway places which were practically serving hatches, selling pizza by the square portion. I loved that after a few beers!

My friend lost her Mom last summer and her Dad is of course, still quite despondent. He is in his late 80s I think. Anyway, one of the last dinners before her Mom died, I had brought over some type of blueberry lemon cookie bar, coffee cake or something. I can't even remember what it was. I had missed putting in the correct amount of sugar and thought it would be terrible. But, I took it anyway. Well, unbeknownst to me, her Dad loves everything lemon. His comment was, whatever you did, do it again, because this is delicious. So I left all the rest of it with them that night.

Last night I had dinner with my friend. She mentioned how her Dad was feeling left out, most of the post funeral attention had subsided, old friends and neighbors fading away, etc. Well, they're all old and not well either so that is to be expected.

Every Wednesday night they have a family dinner. Her Dad, her and her kids. So this next Tuesday, I'm going to make the Philadelphia Cream Cheese Lemon Cheesecake again. I'm going to add blueberries to it too and let it chill. Then I'll surprise him and drop it off Wednesday morning. I think that will perk him up, and momentarily, get him out of his funk. I'll let you know how it goes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member