Food and Recipes while under Coronavirus quarantine #5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pizza for dinner tonight :)

Grab a slice on February 9 at restaurants across the country.

There are few foods that are as beloved as pizza. We love it whether it's New York-style, Detroit-style, Chicago-style, or some other variety entirely. And whether it's deep dish or thin crust, cheese or pepperoni, it's always delicious.

Pizza is such a national treasure that it's no surprise it has a holiday in its honor. On February 9, we celebrate National Pizza Day. Restaurants nationwide are honoring this delicious handheld meal with a variety of freebies and discounts...
Kiddo just left for Walmart to pick up a few things. We were talking about pizza and that it hadn’t been a month yet since we had it. I try to budget for 1 fresh pizza a month since it’s so expensive.

Anyway, the prepped ready to bake pizzas at Walmart are pretty good. Not overly expensive either. I suggested a cheese pizza so we can add tomatoes & spinach from the garden. There’s a bag of pepperoni we were given also. I can put that on my side. She can put those roasted red peppers she made on her side.

Pizza lunch here to celebrate!

I ordered Lou Malnati’s pizza, we had friends over who preferred thin crust so I ordered a deep dish and a thin crust. Lou’s is my favorite Chicago style pizza but in all the years I have been eating their pizza I had never tried the thin crust.

It was really good, still prefer their Chicago style deep dish but it was one of the best thin crust pizzas I have ever had.

Attachments

• A623ECBE-482B-4ACF-A6E4-AEFD022CB5BA.jpeg
    A623ECBE-482B-4ACF-A6E4-AEFD022CB5BA.jpeg
    270.3 KB · Views: 16
Last night we finished what was left of our National Pizza Day Jet's Detroit-style veggie pizza and antipasto salad. Tonight we are having sockeye salmon with asparagus. Tomorrow we're making chili for the big game. Garnish with sour cream, shredded cheese, tortilla chips, guacamole. We haven't made a major grocery trip since we've been home from our cruise and will probably go to Nino's on Wednesday. Pantry is well-stocked, but our refrigerator is practically bare. We finally finished unpacking and have done several loads of laundry. It's been a real effort to bounce back after traveling.

Brunch is the last 2 pieces of the Walmart ready to bake pizza that we added toppings to. I put it in the toaster oven to warm it.

Watered the garden and brought in a zucchini and 2 Roma tomatoes. The tiny tomatoes are starting to bloom. I think they’re “grape” sized.

Attachments

• 274BF60C-1FDF-4E74-B99A-586E34C3F2DD.jpeg
    274BF60C-1FDF-4E74-B99A-586E34C3F2DD.jpeg
    161.9 KB · Views: 6
  • 5AB6A803-2144-4F93-A8E2-1F372EEAA01C.jpeg
    5AB6A803-2144-4F93-A8E2-1F372EEAA01C.jpeg
    170.2 KB · Views: 6
Last night we finished what was left of our National Pizza Day Jet's Detroit-style veggie pizza and antipasto salad. Tonight we are having sockeye salmon with asparagus. Tomorrow we're making chili for the big game. Garnish with sour cream, shredded cheese, tortilla chips, guacamole. We haven't made a major grocery trip since we've been home from our cruise and will probably go to Nino's on Wednesday. Pantry is well-stocked, but our refrigerator is practically bare. We finally finished unpacking and have done several loads of laundry. It's been a real effort to bounce back after traveling.
I’m the same way after traveling. It takes a few days to get your groove back. You have to restock the perishables just so you can meal plan.

Nothing going on here for the game as we’re not football fans. But, the low salt Tostitos are almost gone. May need to brace myself for a trip to the store. LOL!

Responding to @IceIce9 post from the prior thread listing best fried chicken spots in every state. I tried my darnedest to use the 'share' function to bring it forward, but failed.....

Anyway, I have not tried any of these fried chicken spots.

Best fried chicken I've had was from a supermarket in Chester, Il. I think it's name was Roziers. And yes, I'm sure there was plenty of lard involved!

JMO, of course!

Last edited:
Responding to @IceIce9 post from the prior thread listing best fried chicken spots in every state. I tried my darnedest to use the 'share' function to bring it forward, but failed.....

Anyway, I have not tried any of these fried chicken spots.

Best fried chicken I've had was from a supermarket in Chester, Il. I think it's name was Roziers. And yes, I'm sure there was plenty of lard involved!

JMO, of course!

There is an awesome restaurant in Willowbrook IL, called the Chicken Basket. Besides fried chicken they have many other specialities.

DH made the chili by himself today. He started prepping when he got home from his swim (every other day). The chili was thinner than mine because he put in more beef stock that I ordinarily do, but I put half of it in a colander to drain some of the excess liquid. The consistency is better. I also added a bit more salt and chili powder, but the flavor is good. DH is thinking about cooking some white rice to serve with the chili.

Well I survived Publix. It was busy but not as bad as I expected. For some reason I thought the SB started at 3:30, not 6 or whatever it is. Anyway, we want nachos for dinner. So I’m making the dip without meat.

Refried beans mixed with Monterey Jack cheeses is the first layer. Then a can of drained black beans, black olives, more cheese and salsa on top. Bake at 350 deg until bubbly, about 25 min. We are using the low sodium Tostitos as our chips. Scoop the warm dip over the chips, add diced tomatoes and sour cream on top. Yummy!

Normally I use ground turkey sausage instead of black beans but kiddo doesn’t eat meat.

There were some good BOGO items today. Cheez-It’s, Pace salsa, Thomas bagels, big cans of Bush’s baked beans were 2 for $8.

For the Super Bowl we are doing twice baked potatoes, pretzel coated chicken fingers with honey mustard, jalapeño poppers, southwest apple radish avocado salad and chips with dip. All gluten free. We have lemon cranberry shortbread cookies for dessert.

Freeze dryer is running mixed vegetables and some broccoli. Have do freeze dry the uneaten chicken adobo.

Edited: I said air fryer which is cooking the food right now instead of Freezer dryer. I’m not even drinking.

Last edited:
Vegetarian nachos are a hit. I sprinkled onion powder & garlic powder over the refried beans. I added a little corn too on top of the refried beans. It’s an 11” x 7” dish and we’ve eaten half!

I went ahead and fixed the remaining corn and black beans (separately) to have this week. The tomatoes are from the garden.

Attachments

• 1A4C289C-D9B1-4EEE-AAAA-2DD4E6F29263.jpeg
    1A4C289C-D9B1-4EEE-AAAA-2DD4E6F29263.jpeg
    151.9 KB · Views: 19
Vegetarian nachos are a hit. I sprinkled onion powder & garlic powder over the refried beans. I added a little corn too on top of the refried beans. It’s an 11” x 7” dish and we’ve eaten half!

I went ahead and fixed the remaining corn and black beans (separately) to have this week. The tomatoes are from the garden.
There is nothing in the world like home grown tomatoes!

NEW YORK -- One day in 2020, at the pandemic’s height, an earnest-looking man with long hair the color of Buffalo sauce stepped up to a podium in Lincoln, Nebraska, to address his city council during its public comment period. His unexpected topic, as he framed it: It was time to end the deception.

“I propose that we as a city remove the name `boneless wings’ from our menus and from our hearts,” said Ander Christensen, who managed to be both persuasive and tongue-in-cheek all at once. “We’ve been living a lie for far too long.”

With the Super Bowl at hand, behold the cheerful untruth that has been perpetrated upon (and generally with the blessing of) the chicken-consuming citizens of the United States on menus across the land: a “boneless wing” that isn’t a wing at all...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MildredVeraHolmes