Food and Recipes while under Coronavirus quarantine #5

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have not heard of white peas. :) My daughter lives in Georgia and she now cooks okra. I've never even had it!

I'm always sad when the farmers' markets close for the season. My two favorite ones are closing later this month. Some stay open year-round but I usually change my shopping routine and hit the grocery store for produce in the winter.
I live in the north and had only eaten okra in restaurants.

but the food pantry I work in, which distributes a great deal of food purchased from or donated by local farmers, had a huge amount of okra, with much leftover.

we volunteers sometimes get some of the un-distributed food, especially perishables.

i asked, great, how do I prepare it? another pantry worker was like, prepare it? You eat it. He picked up one by the stem and demonstrated.

I did the same as he told me childhood stories of hours outside grabbing okra from EVERYWHERE anything could grow and eating it.

it's delicious, very healthy and very packable for on the go meals.

Thought I d check this thread out since being that I now have the dreaded Rona.

Hi, everyone!

Rummy
Welcome to our Covid "foodie" group. I hope you feel better fast. I noticed from your later post that you have been vomiting. Please be sure to stay well-hydrated during bouts of vomiting or diarrhea. Both can cause serious dehydration, especially in older adults. Drink plenty of water and Pedialyte or Gatorade to replenish lost fluids and electrolytes in your system. Be well.

Last edited:
Hmmm--- I have dried sour cherries in my freezer. I use them to add interest to Apple-sauce based marinades for pork. Hubby eats them from time to time just because he's passing the freezer and feels like chewing on a dry sour cherry.

But baking with them is an option I have not explored

MOO
I buy a 4# box of dried sweet Traverse City cherries every year. I mostly use them for baking: Cherry-nut bread, macadamia white chocolate cherry cookies, no-bake white chocolate chip cookies with pecans and dried cherries. I've also added dried cherries to brownies, and dried cherries are a major component of Michigan or Traverse City salad - mixed greens with red onion, blue cheese, dried cherries, fruit vinaigrette. Add grilled chicken for a complete meal.

Welcome to our Covid "foodie" group. I hope you feel better fast. I noticed from your later post that you have been vomiting. Please be sure to stay well-hydrated during bouts of vomiting or diarrhea. Both can cause serious dehydration, especially in older adults. Drink plenty of water and Pedialyte or Gatorade to replenish lost fluids and electrolytes in your system. Be well.
Thanks...living on ice pops with salt sprinkled on them at this point. I also cooked up rice- in 1/2 beef bone broth, 1/4 canned tomato bisque, and 1/4 water. It's a kind of rosOtto, I guess.

I throw it up still at this point, but i anticipate soon being able to eat a few bites successfully. (I used to throw up ice pops; I don't anymore.) and it seems to me, aside from consuming fluids, I need to worry about losing them excessively on the other side, shall we say.

Thank goodness I was told about the COVID exposure. I woukd have assumed a severe stomach flu, and never considered Covid. I'm chronically a coughed, a specially in autumn . My allergic asthma and early COVID are kind of similar. I could have returned to my public facing jobs thinking my flu was over and my allergies were acting up.

(Although my lungs are starting to feel it, like they did when I had COVID 1.0, in March 2020. It is beginning to be stronger than bad allergic asthma.)

Thanks for posting and listening to my COVID story.

im all over my hydration and O2 levels, thanks.

MOO

I have never heard of eating okra raw. But I love it battered and fried, lightly tossed with cornmeal and fried, boiled with field peas, I just love it.
It's very rare to see okra here in Michigan, and I've only eaten it when visiting a southern state. Several years ago, I was at Nino's a few days before Christmas. The store was very busy, and I noticed a man who was looking for something in the produce department. He seemed quite frustrated, so I asked if there was something specific that he was looking for. He said he needed okra and couldn't find it. I told him that it was rare to see fresh okra and that if stores had it, it was usually for a short period of time. I noticed a huge bag of shrimp, onions, tomatoes, rice, etc. in his cart and said, "It looks like you're going to make Gumbo", so of course he wanted okra. I directed him to the frozen aisle as I knew that I had seen bags of frozen okra when I bought frozen peas. I saw the man again before I finished shopping, and he had two or three bags of frozen okra in his cart. He thanked me and told me that he makes a huge batch of Shrimp Gumbo on Christmas Eve. I'm sure it was delicious!

Last edited:
Thanks...living on ice pops with salt sprinkled on them at this point. I also cooked up rice- in 1/2 beef bone broth, 1/4 canned tomato bisque, and 1/4 water. It's a kind of rosOtto, I guess.

I throw it up still at this point, but i anticipate soon being able to eat a few bites successfully. (I used to throw up ice pops; I don't anymore.) and it seems to me, aside from consuming fluids, I need to worry about losing them excessively on the other side, shall we say.

Thank goodness I was told about the COVID exposure. I woukd have assumed a severe stomach flu, and never considered Covid. I'm chronically a coughed, a specially in autumn . My allergic asthma and early COVID are kind of similar. I could have returned to my public facing jobs thinking my flu was over and my allergies were acting up.

(Although my lungs are starting to feel it, like they did when I had COVID 1.0, in March 2020. It is beginning to be stronger than bad allergic asthma.)

MOO
I'm sorry you have Covid and are having some bad symptoms. You clearly know what to do to take care of yourself, and I hope the antiviral helps and you'll feel a lot better soon.

In case you didn't know, we have a main Covid thread, too: Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #111

A new (to me) vegetable I have never heard of before. My daughter has a friend from China, and she gave her some vegetables from their garden.

She said these were called Dishtowel Gourds, and you cook them like zucchini.

Attachments

• IMG_2329.jpeg
    IMG_2329.jpeg
    142.5 KB · Views: 9
Supper tonight was basic, simple, and oh so good. Last night when I was cooking our vegetable dinner I told DH that I thought I’d use some of the fresh tomatoes tonight and make tomato gravy and biscuits, and I did. It was so good!

Supper tonight was basic, simple, and oh so good. Last night when I was cooking our vegetable dinner I told DH that I thought I’d use some of the fresh tomatoes tonight and make tomato gravy and biscuits, and I did. It was so good!
I love tomato gravy served over mashed potatoes, served with fresh-from-the-garden sweet corn on the side

A new (to me) vegetable I have never heard of before. My daughter has a friend from China, and she gave her some vegetables from their garden.

She said these were called Dishtowel Gourds, and you cook them like zucchini.
They eat these? Isn’t this the Loofa plant? Or is this something that just looks similar?

MOO
I hope your potassium doesn’t drop too low with all that fluid loss. Potatoes are high in potassium and may be mild enough for you to keep down.

I drink orange juice every day. I can’t tolerate Powerade, Gatorade or similar drinks.

Our family has low potassium for some reason. Mine drops when I have the same symptoms (from cancer drugs).

They eat these? Isn’t this the Loofa plant? Or is this something that just looks similar?

It is the same plant.

I hope your potassium doesn’t drop too low with all that fluid loss. Potatoes are high in potassium and may be mild enough for you to keep down.

I drink orange juice every day. I can’t tolerate Powerade, Gatorade or similar drinks.

Our family has low potassium for some reason. Mine drops when I have the same symptoms (from cancer drugs).
Good point. The antivirals are short term, but I have a feeling they could get toxic. i don't have a potassium problem in general, but that is a realistic danger.

luckily, I have successfully eaten the tomato soup rice I made, and dh brought home pork broth (won ton soup base) and white rice from a Chinese restaurant, which I also kept down. so at this point, I think severe dehydration has been averted. Dehydration by excessively aggressive posterior expulsions is still possible- but my only solid food has been rice. So hopefully, that sill have prevented that.

i think I will try sautéed potatoes in the morning. I'm getting hungry thinking about them, which is good because I haven't been hungry either. Maybe ive passed the worst, at least GI-wise. I do be coughing, though!

Good point. The antivirals are short term, but I have a feeling they could get toxic. i don't have a potassium problem in general, but that is a realistic danger.

luckily, I have successfully eaten the tomato soup rice I made, and dh brought home pork broth (won ton soup base) and white rice from a Chinese restaurant, which I also kept down. so at this point, I think severe dehydration has been averted. Dehydration by excessively aggressive posterior expulsions is still possible- but my only solid food has been rice. So hopefully, that sill have prevented that.

i think I will try sautéed potatoes in the morning. I'm getting hungry thinking about them, which is good because I haven't been hungry either. Maybe ive passed the worst, at least GI-wise. I do be coughing, though!
My local Chinese place is wonderful at won ton base with rice and very little or no chicken depending on how yucky I feel. Hey it is 2 out of 4 of BRAT diet, broth, rice, applesauce, and toast.

This sounds like you are on the right track to getting better!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BabyGhoul