Front Line Workers Support

Thank You sillybilly and Admin : )

Praying for all of our loved ones on the front lines to safely get through this.

Mom of Army Corp nurse, deployed to Javits Center NYC. I’m so proud of her, she’s so brave and dedicated.
I’m praying that the surge in New York eases somewhat fast and she can go home.

Basically, my whole family is essential. Son 1-private: railroad, and RN. Son 2-state: over the road transport. Son 4- federal: defense; all have to go in.
DH-state: education. Son 3- state: technology. Me: private: e-commerce. Us 3 are work from home. (I gather I am deemed essential for the economy?)
My mother, almost 80: volunteer at the hospital and for meals on wheels. They believe the crud she had in feb was covid. Not at the hospital due to new rules. Still drives for meals on wheels: they are more cautious than before.

We seem to have the correct genetics and blood type to only get mildly ill. Husband’s and my families all survived the 1918 pandemic. Our dna is at 23 and me, with permission for research. Genealogy and personal history shows we do have issues with strep though.

We have always dropped shoes/boots at the door, clothes to the bin, straight to the shower.

Fishing, home gyms, swimming, and jogging for stress relief. We all know some aren’t as fortunate

I am happy to report that Mr. Pink found N95 masks no one knew existed!! Now, my father, who is an Infectious Disease Consultant, has a backup and my sister, who is a Hospitalist and my niece, a resident, now have one!! The others were donated elsewhere. What an amazing find!!!

I am happy to report that Mr. Pink found N95 masks no one knew existed!! Now, my father, who is an Infectious Disease Consultant, has a backup and my sister, who is a Hospitalist and my niece, a resident, now have one!! The others were donated elsewhere. What an amazing find!!!
Hi my friend! That's great news. Mr. Henry is a paramedic. His EMS company gave them one N95 and said make it last. Fortunately, I was on here in the early days and thought this could go awry so I bought him a N99. He rolled his eyes at me when I bought it. But he wears it every day at work now. Our peak is in a couple of weeks, so kinda dreading that.

Two of our family members are driving buses everyday to get the nurses, doctors and others to work. Not only are they dealing with concerns about COVID19 but there are some pretty unusual behaviours being exhibited on the bus and subway lines these days. Public transit is always 'interesting' but these days its downright frightening at times. (most of the 'stuff' is not being reported on the news to prevent copycats or increases in said behaviours). Its a pretty bizarre world right now, on all fronts.

I do hope they can stay safe, about 3 dozen of them walked out the other night due to lack of PPE for the drivers but they were back on shift in the morning. City is trying to get them more protections. Union says its not enough.

Wonder how long this situation can continue? They're now saying two years. wow.

Teachers in California are going back in the Fall, and will be considered essential workers. We've been unable to graduate medical students, nurses, respiratory techs, lab techs, fireman, EMTs, PA's, paramedics, dental hygienists. There are shortages in each of these areas and teachers need to go back.

Meanwhile, there's been a rush to retire among any group that can (55 for airline pilots and LE, as an example; many of the rest of us have to wait to be 67.5, but people are getting out at 65 and taking less SS).

Going forward, we still face increased death rates among truck drivers, dock workers, bus drivers, and people who rely on public transit to get to essential jobs.

A one time "go ahead and graduate them" plan is okay, but, obviously, that will not work again next year. Firefighters are in very high demand in the Western US. EMT's are in high demand everywhere. It takes a couple of years to train them and they must be trained, obviously.

This group lost half a year of their education, which is not good. If emergency diplomas are issued, that's definitely a one time deal. Next year's group will have lost 75% of their training - they cannot be certified in their professions. In fact, all of the students in those groups are really wondering what's to become of them and whether they should even stay in school.

We have to open those essential programs in the real world (you can't teach someone to intubate someone online). Practical hours need to be done. Nurses typically start out in nursing homes, and then move to hospitals, including ICU rotations. Sending students into the fray has lots of ethical and practical problems.

My daughter is an RN in a highly impacted hospital. I thought I'd share a little perk she got. Her hairdresser reached out to all of his nurse and physician clients and is reserving his first 50 appointments after restrictions are lifted for them.

To make their N95s last longer, EMS is placing a regular medical mask over the N95. I tried it and it is difficult. How these folks are wearing this all day is beyond me. It is really difficult to breath. I honor them all everyday.
We have found that the home made cloth masks fit well over an N95 mask. They keep the N95 clean, and you can wash the home made masks.

Bus company has furloughed 1200 employees, mainly drivers, temporarily due to financial losses in the last month or more.

Hope at least one of the relatives is still working. ie has enough seniority to keep on the buses. Fingers crossed.

Hi everyone. I just see this thread. I’ve yet to read every post. I want to say thank you to all of the front liners. My 20 year old granddaughter has worked every single day. She gets Monday’s off and that’s it. She a manager at one of our local OnCue stores. It’s a quick shop that sells gasoline. She has had to take payments from customers at the drive thru since the beginning. Since she is the designated employee with a state liquor license. My younger son has continued working as he works for my sister’s business, an essential because of production and construction. My younger daughter is an optician that has to get in everyone’s face for examination. It’s scary but everyone is being careful. My little 13 year old granddaughter is declared essential to her grandma. So she stays right here with me. Blessings everyday. ❤️ here’s a remix song dedicated to frontliners. Everyone, please take care. Be safe. Love your families and friends. It ain’t over yet. Things are getting better everyday. One day at a time. Can I brag for a second? My son in law was a Lieutenant Paramedic/Fire Fighter with our local Fire Department. Since he is a Paramedic, he is the first one into a fire or home 911 call. Very brave. Yesterday, due to his courageous and consistent efforts in dealing with the COVID-19 calls, he was promoted. He is now Captain of the Fire Department. My husband and I are so proud Of him and our daughter. She has her own floral wedding business. They are one of the true beautiful couples of our cities.

Last edited:
A lot of people are reacting to this situation, with some bizarre behavior. My daughter has been working the entire time, and people run the gamut.

One thing she has noticed is that a lot of customers want to talk. Maybe they live alone, and just want a connection to other people. She tries to manage a short convo with these folks. Even though she has a long line of customers.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
katehanni
Back