General Discussion Thread #1 -Bail Hearing

Status
Not open for further replies.
That may be your opinion, but I think a vast majority of people would fight for their innocence if they really were innocent (an accident). Why should I do any time for something that I know was an accident?

I don't know what really happened here, but I don't blame the guy for wanting to go for bail. Most others would do the same.

Yes, my opinion. However, I would be mortified, ashamed, and angry if anyone from my family did the whole, "Yessss!" thing in court. How incredibly tacky.

That may be your opinion, but I think a vast majority of people would fight for their innocence if they really were innocent (an accident). Why should I do any time for something that I know was an accident?

I don't know what really happened here, but I don't blame the guy for wanting to go for bail. Most others would do the same.

If this were in the U.S. he would still have to serve some amount of jail time if it were an accident. Only a few years perhaps, but not life.

I think the point is that whether or not he meant to kill her Reeva is dead, and Oscar shot her. Out of respect for her grieving family, a cheer is extremely insensitive.

Sky News quoting defence said they would offer bail of £18,000 ??? thats very low surely

Yes, my opinion. However, I would be mortified, ashamed, and angry if anyone from my family did the whole, "Yessss!" thing in court. How incredibly tacky.

So would I. Although apparently maybe it didn't come from his family.

I can see where the poster was going with the claim... it's kind of hard to actually articulate things like "bail" or "freedom" or "imprisonment" in the immediate wake of having callously shot someone you claim to love, even by accident. I suspect many in OP's shoes would be reaching for a rope and a rickety chair about now...

Even with the "accident" outcome, his world is in shreds.

Very very sad for this lovely girl, what a waste of a life, and he is already planning to start training as soon as he gets bail without a thought for his dead girlfriend and her family.

Zimmerman is out on bail. Did he not kill someone?

Has he gone to trial and been sentenced yet? (In the U.S. even if accidental, it would probably be deemed some degree of manslaughter and that usually carries a few years jail after sentencing.) I am not familiar with the case or the state and its laws.

There was talk earlier on in the thread about forensics/lab results etc taking forever to get back but wouldn't his case be treated as some kind of high priority given that the world is watching South Africa's justice system?

I can't see him fleeing the country to escape justice but his deep pockets could help tainting more evidence or making sure crucial witnesses disappear until the trial is over.

Nope, just the bail hearing.

Okay. I would expect after trial, he would be sentenced to at least a minimum amount of jail time, may depend on the circumstances and the state's individual laws, but usually a few years, around 3 to 5.

I can't see him fleeing the country to escape justice but his deep pockets could help tainting more evidence or making sure crucial witnesses disappear until the trial is over.

Yes, that would be my fear....there was quite a bit of reporting, on the first day, one of his exes saying he had a dark side etc.......
and further reporting that RS said he was becoming very controlling and possessive...

After day one I didnt hear another word from these sources which seemed strange..........

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tvfire1018