Health, Hygiene and Safety Tips for living under Coronavirus quarantine #2

Caylee Advocate

Reaction score
I don't know who wrote this as it was sent to me in a text, but hopefully everyone can feel better soon and we all can get back to normal. My heart hurts after reading some of your posts and almost feeling your pain through your words. Just remember that we are a strong country and we will get through this together. Love and hugs to you all.

"When this is over, may we never again take for granted
A handshake with a stranger
Full shelves at the store
Conversations with neighbors
A crowded theater
Friday night out
The taste of communion
A routine checkup
The school rush each morning
Coffee with a friend
The stadium roaring

Each deep breath
A boring Tuesday
Life itself.

When this ends
may we find
that we have become
more like the people
we wanted to be
we were called to be
we hoped to be
and may we stay
that way — better
for each other
because of the worst."

Thread #1

Last edited by a moderator:
2021 Hurricane Safety page I love:
Tropical Tidbits

The Atlantic hurricane season is almost upon us, officially beginning June 1st, though storms often form in May as well. While the most active part of the season is August-October, it's important to pay attention early in the season, as most storms forming in May-June track close to land areas in the Caribbean and United States. Now is the time to ensure you have a plan of action and a set of emergency supplies ready, just in case a storm comes your way this year.

DH and I went to the nursery this afternoon to get the rest of our flowers (geraniums for deck/patio) and more potting soild. When DH was there last weekend, everyone was still wearing masks, and there was a "mask required" sign outside the main entrance. Today, no "mask" signs - only "social distancing" reminder. Many staff and customers not masked, and DH and I removed ours when we noticed that hardly anyone was wearing them. While in lines for checkout, customers continued to social distance. We knew exactly what we wanted and didn't spend much time there. It is a very warm day here, and the greenhouse was like a sauna. On our return trip, we noticed a house down the street has a yard sign that reads "Unmask Our Kids". First time we'd seen signage about masking on private property.

during COVID, I have been getting a whole pool lane to swim in - pretty luxurious, but now with less restrictions, it is two people per lane. Once this week no one booked so I still got a private lane; another day I got a big guy with a lot of tattoos- I was seriously afraid the he might hit me because he had very broad shoulders, but he was careful and very nice. yesterday my "lane mate" was a tiny thin woman, so we had heaps of room. there are a few people who swim very aggressively- not sure if I will survive sharing a lane with them, but after so much COVID, it is novel meeting people and actually talking to them.

Allergy season is worse this year. How to tell allergy symptoms from COVID-19 (detroitnews.com)

Allergy season is back, and experts say this one may be worse for the typical allergy sufferer.

For some, that can be confusing. Are the symptoms they're experiencing signs of allergies acting up or signs of a COVID-19 infection?

If you're not sure, experts say, ask a few key questions.

The first: Do you get allergies every year?

“If a person has had prior history of having seasonal allergies, specifically at a certain time of year, it’s probably not COVID,” said Dr. Devang Doshi, the chief of pediatric immunology at Beaumont Hospital in Royal Oak...

Allergy season is worse this year. How to tell allergy symptoms from COVID-19 (detroitnews.com)

Allergy season is back, and experts say this one may be worse for the typical allergy sufferer.

For some, that can be confusing. Are the symptoms they're experiencing signs of allergies acting up or signs of a COVID-19 infection?

If you're not sure, experts say, ask a few key questions.

The first: Do you get allergies every year?

“If a person has had prior history of having seasonal allergies, specifically at a certain time of year, it’s probably not COVID,” said Dr. Devang Doshi, the chief of pediatric immunology at Beaumont Hospital in Royal Oak...
Oh my gosh, so many times I heard “it’s just allergies” (yet never had allergies before, wasn’t right time for seasonal allergies, etc)....scoffed at me saying “you should get tested” and it was COVID.

Christina Wyman: Covid vaccine honor systems are as ridiculous as they sound (nbcnews.com)

If the pandemic has taught us anything, it's that we can’t rely on the decency of those around us. A willingness to blindly trust simply doesn’t compute.

Excellent article: thanks for posting it: As I watch our country go back to what is considered "normal", I remain concerned that now, with CDC guidance, many people will be shedding their masks (and those people include the unvaccinated)---- I will continue to mask up in grocery stores and if I dine out, in a restaurant.

Excellent article: thanks for posting it: As I watch our country go back to what is considered "normal", I remain concerned that now, with CDC guidance, many people will be shedding their masks (and those people include the unvaccinated)---- I will continue to mask up in grocery stores and if I dine out, in a restaurant.

Surprisingly, most places where DH and/or I have been in the last couple of weeks have most patrons still wearing masks, even if they're not required. Meijer, Costco, Kroger, Salvaggio's, Picano's (restaurant), Beaumont Health Club had many, if not most, guests wearing masks. I always have a mask in my purse, and we have disposable masks in both our vehicles, so we can don them if necessary to feel safe even though we're vaccinated. Some businesses require employees to wear masks even if not required for patrons. I'm sure there are plenty of folks who feel like you who will continue to mask up when in public venues because we can't know what has or hasn't been vaccinated.

That said, there are still many places where I have no desire to go any time soon. Since we haven't been away from home for 16 months, we've talked about going to Mackinac Island in the fall when the primary summer season ends. I'm not particularly fond of car trips, but there is no way that I would fly anywhere just yet, and a cruise vacation is totally out of the question. I also have no desire to attend any type of large indoor event like a concert, opera, theatre, ballet, hockey game, etc. Maybe we'll go to a Tiger game later in the season where we'd be mostly outdoors. I think the next few months will be critical in learning how well the public is protected by the vaccine and whether or not the unvaccinated continue to get Covid. I wish the Olympics would be canceled as I worry that the summer games could become a super-spreader since Japan is not getting people vaccinated in a timely manner. It would be tragic so see a new Covid variant originate during the Olympics with athletes from around the globe carrying it back home with them.

Last edited:
Surprisingly, most places where DH and/or I have been in the last couple of weeks have most patrons still wearing masks, even if they're not required. Meijer, Costco, Kroger, Salvaggio's, Picano's (restaurant), Beaumont Health Club had many, if not most, guests wearing masks. I always have a mask in my purse, and we have disposable masks in both our vehicles, so we can don them if necessary to feel safe even though we're vaccinated. Some businesses require employees to wear masks even if not required for patrons. I'm sure there are plenty of folks who feel like you who will continue to mask up when in public venues because we can't know what has or hasn't been vaccinated.

That said, there are still many places where I have no desire to go any time soon. Since we haven't been away from home for 16 months, we've talked about going to Mackinac Island in the fall when the primary summer season ends. I'm not particularly fond of car trips, but there is no way that I would fly anywhere just yet, and a cruise vacation is totally out of the question. I also have no desire to attend any type of large indoor event like a concert, opera, theatre, ballet, hockey game, etc. Maybe we'll go to a Tiger game later in the season where we'd be mostly outdoors. I think the next few months will be critical in learning how well the public is protected by the vaccine and whether or not the unvaccinated continue to get Covid. I wish the Olympics would be canceled as I worry that the summer games could become a super-spreader since Japan is not getting people vaccinated in a timely manner. It would be tragic so see a new Covid variant originate during the Olympics with athletes from around the globe carrying it back home with them.

I am very concerned about the Olympics: I am hoping that there will be pressure from certain groups, perhaps governments of various countries, to postpone the olympics. I cannot think of anything more tragic than athletes bringing a variant back with them. It is too awful to even think about right now.

Saw this a couple days ago: Physician warns Tokyo Olympics could spread variants - The Washington Post

TOKYO — A physician representing a Japanese medical body warned Thursday that holding the postponed Tokyo Olympics in two months could lead to the spread of variants of the coronavirus.

Dr. Naoto Ueyama, chairman of the Japan Doctors Union, said the International Olympic Committee and the Japanese government had underestimated the risks of bringing 15,000 Olympic and Paralympic athletes into the country, joined by tens of thousands of officials, judges, media and broadcasters from more than 200 countries and territories.

“Since the emergence of COVID-19 there has not been such a dangerous gathering of people coming together in one place from so many different places around the world,” he said, speaking in Tokyo at the Foreign Correspondents’ Club of Japan. “It’s very difficult to predict what this could lead to.”...

I wish they, in conjunction with xyz science group, had mandatory or even voluntary sign up and study follow up for the Indy 500 crowds yesterday. Missed opportunity MOO

Indy 500 capacity: What it looks like to have 135,000 fans at the race

A voluntary study would indeed have been appropriate.

Maybe there will be one?

I expect many tickets were purchased on-line -- purchasers could be surveyed for symptoms &/or diagnosis and vaccination status. A link could be sent, set up to avoid identifying information.

Good idea!

jmho ymmv lrr

France threw a free concert to test out 'parameters' for COVID.

Everyone had to be low risk, under 45? and was tested twice before the concert/once afterwards. Also fully vaccinated.

Dont think the results will be known for another two weeks but it will be interesting.

France threw a free concert to test out 'parameters' for COVID.

Everyone had to be low risk, under 45? and was tested twice before the concert/once afterwards. Also fully vaccinated.

Dont think the results will be known for another two weeks but it will be interesting.

Dancing Like There's No COVID-19: Paris Hosts Test Concert

"Thousands of people, masked and tested for the coronavirus, packed inside a Paris arena for a concert Saturday as part of a public health experiment to prepare France to host big events again.... The attendees are seeing the show for free but were required to take three virus tests, two before and one after the concert. To further reduce risk, organizers only allowed people 18-45 years old without underlying health conditions to participate, according to the hospital authority.

The Paris public hospital authority helped organize the event to determine whether it’s safe to allow 5,000 masked people to dance together in the open pit of an indoor concert arena without social distancing.

France has not allowed such music concerts since early 2020. Cultural venues were shut for most of the past 14 months as authorities tried to contain persistent surges of virus infections that filled hospitals and were linked to more than 109,000 deaths...Similar test concerts have been held in other European countries recently, including Spain, the Netherlands and Britain."

GettyImages-1233168842.jpg

Two weeks after concert until results... that would be too soon for results MOO

Has the pandemic changed our hygiene habits forever? (clickondetroit.com)

Some practices that help prevent germ spread here to stay even post-pandemic

AUBURN HILLS, Mich. – Throughout the pandemic, people and businesses have had to significantly increase cleaning efforts to help prevent the spread of COVID.

But now that things are starting to return to normal in Michigan, are those extra hand sanitizing stations and frequent hand-washing practices here to stay? Has the pandemic changed how we look at germs forever?

Auburn Hills company Stratus Building Solutions -- who provides cleaning and disinfecting services for commercial clients -- wanted to find out, so they conducted a survey among their clients...

I had an appointment with my ophthalmologist yesterday - rescheduled from a week ago when their computer system was down. As Covid restrictions in Michigan have eased since my last visit in February, I noticed some relaxation in protocols in the eye care facility. While masks are still required, they are no longer taking patient temperatures upon entry. Patients no longer have to fill out the Covid questionnaire re: symptoms of Covid, exposure, travel, etc., and the yellow "crime scene" tape that separated seating in the waiting room was removed. Tech told me that they will no longer require masks effective July 1, and things should get back to normal. I was not asked about my vaccination status but told tech that I had my shots in March; it was noted on my chart.

I don't usually have allergy/asthma in the spring and summer but have been experiencing a lot of nasal drainage, scratchy throat, nighttime coughing, and chest tightness for the last couple of weeks. I attributed fatigue to the heat and humidity we've had in recent weeks until I checked my peak flow and noticed that it was in the cautionary range :eek: I've increased my Qvar inhaler dosage from one to two puffs daily, and have been using Pro-Air (rescue inhaler) along with Robitussion - DM. I finally got a good night's rest and feel much better today. Ophthalmologist told me that they have seen a lot of allergy symptoms in patients for a couple of weeks, so it must be something in the environment.

Last edited:

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zootopian2