ME Heather White, 8, murdered, West Enfield, October 1 1988

SpoopySoup

Reaction score
This is my first time posting anything, so if I'm doing something wrong please let me know. I have recently been diving into a closed case from my hometown in Maine. Heather White, age 8, was found murdered in Howland Maine in 1988. She had been sexually assaulted, choked and left to drown in the river. Trey Emery, who was 16 at the time of the murder, was charged with her murder but was found innocent and acquitted in 1990. He testified that he was with Heather in the woods the day she was murdered, but he saw her walking away with a boy around the age of 10. After his acquittal, the state closed the case. I'm trying to gather information about the case but I don't know where to start. I don't know why the case was closed if no one has actually been found guilty of her murder. I'm assuming that Emery cannot be tried again due to the double jeopardy laws. I can't even find if the police had other suspects. Does anyone have any information about the case? TIA!

<WS ADMIN NOTE: Added the following link to justify thread opening>

Last edited by a moderator:
Just for the record ... the term "found innocent" in the article is not accurate. Judges/juries do not find people "innocent". They find them "Not Guilty" which just means that the prosecution did not meet the burden of proving guilt "beyond a reasonable doubt" (BARD).

There is a "Declaration of Innocence" that can be applied for but it is rarely, rarely granted and there is no indication in this case that such a declaration was ever applied for and granted.

Just for the record ... the term "found innocent" in the article is not accurate. Judges/juries do not find people "innocent". They find them "Not Guilty" which just means that the prosecution did not meet the burden of proving guilt "beyond a reasonable doubt" (BARD).

There is a "Declaration of Innocence" that can be applied for but it is rarely, rarely granted and there is no indication in this case that such a declaration was ever applied for and granted.
Thank you for the clarification. I think the wording in the article also added to my confusion about the state closing the case.

Thank you for the clarification. I think the wording in the article also added to my confusion about the state closing the case.
I'm also assuming that the prosecution brought the case to trial without substantial evidence, but I can't find anything to support that. I would love to know the steps I can take to start gathering some of this information, if anyone can help me out with that I would be super appreciative!

Ugh.
Murderers, especially those who go after children should rot.

I wonder if this supposed boy he spotted Heather with had something to do with it. You’d be surprised what heinous crimes kids can commit.

Ugh.
Murderers, especially those who go after children should rot.

I wonder if this supposed boy he spotted Heather with had something to do with it. You’d be surprised what heinous crimes kids can commit.
I completely agree. The reason I would question the other boy testimony is the fact that West Enfield, Howland, and Enfield are so small, especially back in the late 80s, that everyone knew (and still knows) everyone. My graduating class in 2007 was 40 something kids. My question would be, did he give a name? And was this kid looked into and cleared? I'm trying to find where the assault took place because there were rumors that it happened at Ring Street school, which is approx. 500 feet from my parents house. The lack of information is so frustrating.

I completely agree. The reason I would question the other boy testimony is the fact that West Enfield, Howland, and Enfield are so small, especially back in the late 80s, that everyone knew (and still knows) everyone. My graduating class in 2007 was 40 something kids. My question would be, did he give a name? And was this kid looked into and cleared? I'm trying to find where the assault took place because there were rumors that it happened at Ring Street school, which is approx. 500 feet from my parents house. The lack of information is so frustrating.
Yeah. Even if they just release the first name of the boy if it is known that would be a clue.

I spoke with a police officer, and a retired police officer yesterday that I know. They both suggested I get in touch with the state's current cold case detectives to see how they can help me. I'm also considering talking with people I know from the town that were aware of the investigation at the time. I'm going to probably start with my dad and go from there.

I spoke with a police officer, and a retired police officer yesterday that I know. They both suggested I get in touch with the state's current cold case detectives to see how they can help me. I'm also considering talking with people I know from the town that were aware of the investigation at the time. I'm going to probably start with my dad and go from there.
I talked with my dad. He was just finishing up high school at the time. He can't remember too much about the case (his memory isnt the greatest) He seems to think that Heather might have been in foster care at the time and not too many people in the area knew much about her. He did remember Trey Emery, he was a grade or 2 behind him. He's going to talk to one of his friends who definitely remembers more than he does. Once I hear more I'll post an update. If anyone else can find any more info I would be super grateful!

I talked with my dad. He was just finishing up high school at the time. He can't remember too much about the case (his memory isnt the greatest) He seems to think that Heather might have been in foster care at the time and not too many people in the area knew much about her. He did remember Trey Emery, he was a grade or 2 behind him. He's going to talk to one of his friends who definitely remembers more than he does. Once I hear more I'll post an update. If anyone else can find any more info I would be super grateful!
Curious what happened to Trey Emery after the trial. Did he leave the area? Criminal record? Would be really interesting to see if he has any sexual related charges afterwards

Not much information on her case, what was the nature of the acquittal?

Looks like Trey still lives in Maine and doesn’t appear to be on the sex offender list. Can’t imagine someone committing this horrible crime at such a young age then nothing the next 30+ years

Curious what happened to Trey Emery after the trial. Did he leave the area? Criminal record? Would be really interesting to see if he has any sexual related charges afterwards
I believe, this hasn't been confirmed, that he lives in a town very close by....about 10 miles from my current home. So about 25 miles from howland. I've checked the states sex offender registry and he isn't listed, but that doesn't mean he hasn't had a charge against him that didn't result in a life long registration.
From the maine.gov website:

"Generally, a person convicted of a “sex offense” is required to register for 10 years. A person convicted of a “sexually violent offense” is required to register for life. These time periods apply to persons who committed their crimes before January 1, 2013. Persons subject to registration who commit crimes on or after January 1, 2013 are in one of three registration categories. “Tier I” registrants must register for 10 years; “Tier II” registrants for 25 years; and “Tier III” registrants for life.

Looks like Trey still lives in Maine and doesn’t appear to be on the sex offender list. Can’t imagine someone committing this horrible crime at such a young age then nothing the next 30+ years
I had the same thought...

I'm not sure. I can't even find that so far. I don't know if it was beyond a reasonable doubt or lack of sufficient evidence. I'm going to go to the library soon and see if someone can help me find news paper articles published in The Bangor Daily News. I can't find them online, they probably aren't archived.

I have information to add. I was Heather's "boyfriend" at the time. It affected me pretty bad at the time, I was only ten years old. But I still remember this very well. The crime did not happen at ring street school. Ring street school was a small school that we attended across the other side of the river. The other school is on the other side of the river. The other boy that she was with was Chris. He told me a few days later at school that he was with her. He said he saw someone with her going towards the woods, the other kid was walking next to a bike. Chris has blonde hair and was wearing a white t shirt and blue jeans. The only real evidence that was found was her mom's watch, a bag of snacks and a pair of underwear. I went through a bunch of material and to me it seems like Emery was involved. I really hope they solve this case one day.

There was really not enough evidence beyond a reasonable doubt. However Trey was spotted in the store down the street on the same day dirty and wet. He was saying that he hoped they didn't blame him for her being missing that same day. They let him out before the trial on a $1.00 bail. Me and Heather were close, I still vividly remember our last day together. I also remember the news footage, I was on it. The news had shown up at our school. I thought Heather was sick because we were together that Friday. I didn't understand why the news was filming us getting on the bus. I fell into a deep depression for two weeks after seeing the newscast.

Biddeford-Journal-Tribune-October,3-1988-p-7.jpegBiddeford-Journal-Tribune-May,16-1990-p-6.jpeg

Attachments

• Biddeford-Journal-Tribune-February,14-1989-p-2.jpeg
    Biddeford-Journal-Tribune-February,14-1989-p-2.jpeg
    121.2 KB · Views: 2

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads