Holiday and Winter Alternatives for Social Distancing Gatherings

My sister’s response in the gray bubble, the day after Thanksgiving. <insert eye roll>

I did not even bother to tell her about our exposure to C-19 the Wed before Tday. I don’t think it would have even registered.

Attachments

• 9B753877-711F-4416-8268-29D1B47A41FA.jpeg
    9B753877-711F-4416-8268-29D1B47A41FA.jpeg
    43.2 KB · Views: 50
There are dozens from which to choose, but what are your favorite holiday songs? I tried to pare my list down to five but couldn't eliminate any song in particular as these are truly my favorites. Looking forward to your lists :)

The Holly and the Ivy
It's Beginning To Look a Lot Like Christmas
Bring a Torch, Jeanette, Isabella
Let It Snow
Carol Of the Bells
Silver Bells

There are dozens from which to choose, but what are your favorite holiday songs? I tried to pare my list down to five but couldn't eliminate any song in particular as these are truly my favorites. Looking forward to your lists :)

The Holly and the Ivy
Let It Snow
Carol Of the Bells
Silver Bells

I think all of your choices are great. I'm going to have to give this some thought before listing mine.

The Holly and the Ivy
Let It Snow
Carol Of the Bells
Silver Bells
Elvis - Santa Claus is Back in Town
Glenn Close and Placido Domingo- Joy to the World

Given the type of year that we've had, I was really looking forward to watching traditional Christmas movies as well as some new ones. The new offerings on various Hallmark channels and Lifetime have left much to be desired. There wasn't one new movie that I could watch all the way through. In fact, with most of the new movies, I could barely make it to the first commercial! Recycled storylines, no-talent actors, loud and unnecessary background music - awful!

Thankfully, some of my favorite made-for-TV holiday movies aired occasionally. We've been able to watch several Christmas movies on demand, and we own some of our longtime favorites. Sadly, I think Hallmark and Lifetime sacrifice quality for quantity when they roll out dozens of new holiday movies every year. I also noted that both Hallmark and Lifetime tend to show the same lame movies over and over again even though there are so many from which to choose :(

Last edited:
Given the type of year that we've had, I was really looking forward to watching traditional Christmas movies as well as some new ones. The new offerings on various Hallmark channels and Lifetime have let much to be desired. There wasn't one new movie that I could watch all the way through. In fact, with most of the new movies, I could barely make it to the first commercial! Recycled storylines, no-talent actors, loud and unnecessary background music - awful!

Thankfully, some of my favorite made-for-TV holiday movies aired occasionally. We've been able to watch several Christmas movies on demand, and we own some of our longtime favorites. Sadly, I think Hallmark and Lifetime sacrifice quality for quantity when they roll out dozens of new holiday movies every year. I also noted that both Hallmark and Lifetime tend to show the same lame movies over and over again even though there are so many from which to choose :(
What are some of your very favorite? Mr Pirate and I are having a lonely Covid Christmas. Suggestions for a good movie are welcomed!

What are some of your very favorite? Mr Pirate and I are having a lonely Covid Christmas. Suggestions for a good movie are welcomed!

My favorite holiday movies:

1. A Christmas Carol (1984 - George C. Scott)
2. Holiday Affair (1949 - Robert Mitchum, Janet Leigh)
3. The Holiday (2006 - Kate Winslet, Cameron Diaz, Jude Law, Jack Black)
4. Silver Bells (2005 - Anne Heche, Tate Donovan)
5. Recipe For a Perfect Christmas (2005 - Christine Baranski, Carly Pope, Bobby Cannivale)

TCM has a Christmas movie marathon this week - classic holiday films that I watch over and over and never grow tired of them. Comcast has dozens of "on demand" options, and there are Christmas movies on AMC and Freeform.

5. Recipe For a Perfect Christmas (2005 - Christine Baranski, Carly Pope, Bobby Cannivale)

TCM has a Christmas movie marathon this week - classic holiday films that I watch over and over and never grow tired of them. Comcast has dozens of "on demand" options, and there are Christmas movies on AMC and Freeform.

Thanks for this list!

I always enjoy seeing "A Christmas Story." I read a column about the mother in the story, so that will be on my mind the next time I see it. I'm so old that I can remember listening to Jean Shepherd on his radio talk show when I was a kid in the 1950s! He was a great storyteller.

Thanks for this great list. I have only seen one of them (A Christmas Carol). I rarely watch movies so this will be a treat. We have Comcast so there should be something there for us.

Provided everyone stays healthy, my 2 girls and I will do Thanksgiving here this year. Turkey and mainly veggies since the girls are gluten free. I hope to find a pack of GF dinner rolls. I may make some stuffing for me.

I will make GF pumpkin cookies with cream cheese icing. I have a GF pie crust in the freezer so I can make them a pie too.

We’ve all had Covid vaccinations. I had my Covid booster and my flu shot. My oldest has had her flu shot. Youngest is finally doing better and hopefully can get her flu shot this week. Keeping my fingers crossed!

I still don't want to host Christmas. I'm hoping my mother says no Christmas and then I don't have to worry about telling the family that someone else will have to do it this year. And then tell them I'm not going to a big indoor thing anyway.

I still don't want to host Christmas. I'm hoping my mother says no Christmas and then I don't have to worry about telling the family that someone else will have to do it this year. And then tell them I'm not going to a big indoor thing anyway.
Do you usually host it? Or do you rotate?

I understand not doing the big indoor thing!

My sister told us today that our niece (her daughter) and partner along with their baby who was born June 13 want to spend Thanksgiving with us. DH met the baby briefly when he picked up my sister at their place to bring her here for a week last month. I have yet to meet my great-niece. We've already told my brothers that we're going to host Thanksgiving, so this will be the first time that all local family will be together since the beginning of the pandemic. We hope our nephew will want to come, as well. I'm already working on a menu but want to make sure that I cook what everyone wants to eat.

My turkey meatballs went over very well the last time that the family gathered for Thanksgiving, so I will likely make those again instead of roasting a whole turkey. In our family, everyone favors ham, so a spiral-sliced ham will be the main event along with typical turkey day sides like mashed potatoes, stuffing, Brussels sprouts, gravy, cranberry sauce. I'll probably bake a pumpkin bundt cake and something chocolate, too. Will have to think about appetizers/snacks or ask my sister to bring those.

My annual physical was supposed to be yesterday during which time I would have gotten my flu shot. I went for labs last Thursday prior to the previously scheduled appointment. A couple of hours after I'd been there for labs, Dr. K's office called to say that she would not be in at all this week and that my annual physical would have to be rescheduled. I won't go until late December and did not want to wait that long to get a flu shot. I had 65+ adult flu shot this morning at Rite Aid. DH and I will both get our Pfizer boosters at Meijer next Wednesday.

Thanksgiving is two weeks from tomorrow, so I wish you all the best with your plans for the annual feast. I've already watched some Christmas movies as we enter this busy holiday season that will certainly be much different than last year.

My sister told us today that our niece (her daughter) and partner along with their baby who was born June 13 want to spend Thanksgiving with us. DH met the baby briefly when he picked up my sister at their place to bring her here for a week last month. I have yet to meet my great-niece. We've already told my brothers that we're going to host Thanksgiving, so this will be the first time that all local family will be together since the beginning of the pandemic. We hope our nephew will want to come, as well. I'm already working on a menu but want to make sure that I cook what everyone wants to eat.

My turkey meatballs went over very well the last time that the family gathered for Thanksgiving, so I will likely make those again instead of roasting a whole turkey. In our family, everyone favors ham, so a spiral-sliced ham will be the main event along with typical turkey day sides like mashed potatoes, stuffing, Brussels sprouts, gravy, cranberry sauce. I'll probably bake a pumpkin bundt cake and something chocolate, too. Will have to think about appetizers/snacks or ask my sister to bring those.

My annual physical was supposed to be yesterday during which time I would have gotten my flu shot. I went for labs last Thursday prior to the previously scheduled appointment. A couple of hours after I'd been there for labs, Dr. K's office called to say that she would not be in at all this week and that my annual physical would have to be rescheduled. I won't go until late December and did not want to wait that long to get a flu shot. I had 65+ adult flu shot this morning at Rite Aid. DH and I will both get our Pfizer boosters at Meijer next Wednesday.

Thanksgiving is two weeks from tomorrow, so I wish you all the best with your plans for the annual feast. I've already watched some Christmas movies as we enter this busy holiday season that will certainly be much different than last year.
I had my annual last week where I got my flu shot. I told my provider that I was due for my Covid booster and she strongly suggested that I wait a month between shots. When I asked why, she said that she felt like our bodies did have to do some work to "process" for lack of a better word, the vaccines. She felt it was best to let our bodies work with one at a time. Thoughts about this? Anyone else been told this?

I had my annual last week where I got my flu shot. I told my provider that I was due for my Covid booster and she strongly suggested that I wait a month between shots. When I asked why, she said that she felt like our bodies did have to do some work to "process" for lack of a better word, the vaccines. She felt it was best to let our bodies work with one at a time. Thoughts about this? Anyone else been told this?
I am in the Covid & Cancer Study and they told me the same thing. My booster was Sept 21st. My flu shot was Oct 17th, 3 weeks and 5 days apart. I get treatment every 28 days / 4 weeks so that was the best we could do. They didn’t want me to have treatment and the flu shot the same day.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BabyGhoul
Back