MO - Megan Meier, 13, Mentally Abused, Commits Suicide

Wow... Ok, let's hit the main point I see in this post.

We're not talking about kids teasing another kid. We're talking about an ADULT, a responsible adult, who knows right from wrong, who took a situation she should have stayed out of or handled the proper way, and purposefully manipulate, harass, and malign a CHILD until this child felt and believed that she was a piece of s**t and didn't deserve to live.

Precisely!

This poor child wasn't given the opportunity to toughen up and learn from teenage 'meanies'.

I have a hard time understanding how people can try to defend this woman's innocence. The charges are 'conspiracy to cause emotional distress' not murder. It seems pretty obvious this woman was conspiring to cause Meghan emotional distress.
There is a fine line when the child in question is 13 yrs old - a 13 yr old who suffers from depression no less - when asking if the child is responsible for their actions. Sure, she is the one who put the belt around her neck and hung herself but she would not have done so if it were not for the situation created by this ADULT. To say and encourage some of the things that were said and done to Meghan should have consequences especially given the outcome.

I hope she is found guilty.

LOS ANGELES (AP) ― A federal court jury deliberating in the MySpace cyber-bullying trial of a Missouri mother has suggested in a note to the judge that it has reached verdicts on three of the four counts.

The note sent Tuesday asked, "Can we be hung on one count but unanimous on the others?"

U.S. District Court Judge George Wu told the jurors to return Wednesday and resume deliberations.

http://cbs13.com/national/myspace.hoax.trial.2.873143.html

I have a hard time understanding how people can try to defend this woman's innocence. The charges are 'conspiracy to cause emotional distress' not murder. It seems pretty obvious this woman was conspiring to cause Meghan emotional distress.
There is a fine line when the child in question is 13 yrs old - a 13 yr old who suffers from depression no less - when asking if the child is responsible for their actions. Sure, she is the one who put the belt around her neck and hung herself but she would not have done so if it were not for the situation created by this ADULT. To say and encourage some of the things that were said and done to Meghan should have consequences especially given the outcome.

I hope she is found guilty.

Beautifully said Gaia!
The fact is that yes, children have to deal with bullying - from other children. But, when adults with their elevated reasoning skills, cognitive abilities, life experience, grasp of language, etc., have a relationsip with a child, whether fictional or not, there is an inherent imbalance of power. It's why adults having romantic relationships with minors is always wrong. It's also why a 50 year old having a romantic relationship with a 19 year old is wrong, IMO. The imbalance of power means that the 19 year old is at a disadvantage in his or her relationship and can easily be taken advantage of by the older mate. It's like a lion mating with a lamb. And this theory holds true in a situation like the one with Megan. The Drew woman used her greater understanding of the world and psychology to emotionally attack a child. Due to the disparity in maturity levels, what this person did had a greater psychic impact on the child than if it had been another kid playing a cruel joke on her. I thus feel the Drew woman is more culpable than a teenager would be doing something similar. And therefore, I sincerely hope that this person is found guilty and is punished.
Children should be protected by adults. When instead, an adult uses his or her power to harm a child, society should rise up and take an uncompromising stand against it. Period.

sorry,, guys.. but i would say well done, on this one. even if lori drew did cause 'emotional distress' to a "child" (actually, a teenager...) that is not against the law......!!! it is not her fault that the child/teenager killed herself. it's a tragedy this happened... but i think the law came through very clearly here. guess what-- emotional distress is a part of life.. and many adults will cause emotional distress to a child/teenager.. and that is part of life and that is a part of growing up, to learn how to deal with that.. and toughen up, stand up for yourself, and move on.
bullying (if that is what people want to call this-- don't know if i agree with it as the girl should have been taught that not everything on the internet is real, and she was certainly free to turn her computer O-F-F and walk away...) is also a part of life and you can't always make everyone in life be nice and honest to you. we can't legislate everything. other kids will be jerks and adults will be jerks,, people will be deceitful and do all sorts of horrible things.. but again, whether lori drew was another teenager or an adult, this person did not 'make' this girl kill herself. i just don't understand this concept of 'emotionally attacking' someone..... from a legal standpoint. as in: someone is mean to me, and i can sue them for 'emotionally attacking' me.....?? no way.....

<Sure, she is the one who put the belt around her neck and hung herself but she would not have done so if it were not for the situation created by this ADULT> ..
not necessarily-- again, we don't know if she would have done it anyway. if she was that unstable that she would take her life over something like this.. then.. if it wasnt that, then it probably would have been something else.
also-- again, you are clearly saying here that is lori drew's FAULT that the girl killed herself-- which is almost saying that lori drew killed her outright, and sorry, but there is no legal backing here.

MySpace hoax sentencing delayed
Judge wants to consider a defense motion to dismiss the case, which involves the suicide of a 13-year-old girl.
When federal prosecutors in Los Angeles indicted a Missouri mother last year for committing an Internet hoax that apparently led to the suicide of a 13-year-old girl, they touted the novel legal approach that allowed them to file the case halfway across the country. On Monday, a U.S. district judge indicated they may have gone too far.

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-myspace19-2009may19,0,6394911.story

I saw this last night and I kinda think the judge makes a good point about many other people on myspace commit that misdemeanor. IMO, only in cases where people do that to commit crimes though. But why did he wait till after trial to address this? Sounds like the trial could have been prevented?

The conviction was thrown out today.

Lori Drew MySpace Suicide Hoax Conviction Thrown Out
Judge Dismisses Earlier Conviction Tied to Death of 13-Year-Old Megan Meiers

A federal judge Thursday tentatively threw out computer fraud convictions against Lori Drew, the Missouri mom accused of taking part in a MySpace hoax blamed for the suicide of a 13-year-old neighbor girl

http://abcnews.go.com/TheLaw/story?id=7977226&page=1

The woman who calls herself a "mom" and did this to a little girl is still a loser in my eyes. People who use the interent for evil are evil in my opinion.

The problem here is being a rotten person is not a crime. This lady is a real piece of work, which is also legal.

The problem here is being a rotten person is not a crime. This lady is a real piece of work, which is also legal.

Very true!

I know it doesn't seem like "justice", but under the circumstances, hopefully Mrs Drew has had time to realize the intense pressure she put on a young girl and with the negative publicity she's received can change the way she approaches life from here on out.

&#8220;As Megan&#8217;s mom, I wanted to see her go to jail, because I think it needed to set a precedent,&#8221; Meier said. &#8220;I think it needed to let people know: You get on the computer, you use it as a weapon to hurt, to harm, to harass people, this is not something that people can just walk away from. This is many times the teen&#8217;s lifeline.&#8221;Still, Meier said, her daughter&#8217;s death focused attention on cyber bullying and led to several state laws and a proposed federal law to address the growing problem. In that sense, she said, there is some justice for her tragedy.

After Wu&#8217;s ruling, which still needs to be finalized in writing, Drew issued a statement through her attorney that read: "In my view, it was proper that this case was dismissed, primarily because I simply did not do what the U.S. Attorney in Los Angeles accused me of doing. All members of my family share the Meier's grief in dealing with the loss of Megan. I hope Judge Wu's decision today will be a turning point for all families involved in returning to a more-normal life."

Meier, who said she has not decided whether to pursue a civil suit against Drew, said the statement did not constitute an apology and was woefully inadequate.
http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/31722986/ns/today_people/
I agree with Meier.

Sorry if I bump this thread. I have not seen Lori Drew ever profiled, so I will take a jab at it.

Lori Janine Shreeves Drew
DOB: 3/31/1959
POB: Dover, Delaware
Parents: Jerry and Helen Shreeves
Sibling(s): Todd Shreeves
Education Level: College

Lori Drew is highly narcissistic and psychopathic who is deeply insecure as she has a highly distorted image about herself. Lori Drew is a person who is very sensitive to rejection and abandonment and is consumed by it. She is emotionally immature and has not in a sense grown up. Drew is very meddling in nature as she has to butt into people all the time as she is self-righteous in nature. She feels the universe revolves around her and her daughter and feels she is not accepted. Drew is extremely extroverted and sociable, which masks a person with deep seated rage. She is easily angered and it builds up over time.

She is likely consumed by jealousy and is very conscious about her social status as she is a member of various organizations. She has an entitlement mentality as she feels she is entitled to everything from being invited to parties to having her daughter Sarah being involved in various activities. When Drew saw her daughter, Sarah, no longer being friends with Megan Meier, it enraged her because she saw it as rejection and abandonment.

Lori Drew Analogs:
Betty Broderick-It is a toss up between Broderick or Holloway when comparing them to Drew. Highly narcissistic and rageful. Both view themselves as victims. However, Broderick showed her anger, while Drew did not show her anger, but was angry.
Wanda Holloway-Drew's motives are more similar to Holloway than Broderick. They did it for the "love" of their child. Both are very pushy parents and meddling in nature.
Gertrude Baniszewski-Drew and Baniszewski were driven to abuse their victims because of a slighting on their daughters. They are motivated by protecting their daughter for taunting. Megan Meier called Drew a "Lesbian", while Sylvia Likens called Paula Baniszewski a prostitute. They got other people to do the dirty work for them as they also participated. Baniszewki was very religious, while Drew is not known to be religious. Also, Baniszewski was not a social climber like Drew. Baniszewki physically tortured Likens, while Drew psychologically tortured Meier.
Diane Downs-Highly extroverted and are pathological liars. However, Downs did not care about social status as she is more like Anthony.
Casey Anthony-Anthony has similar personality to Drew. Highly narcissistic, rageful, and sociable. Likely has history of estrangement. However, Drew is paranoid, while Anthony is not known to be paranoid. Also, Drew was a helicopter parent motivated by protection, which Anthony is none of the characteristics.
South Hadley 6-Shares a lot in common with them. They are social climbers, like Lori Drew. However, Drew is not territorial, like the South Hadley 6.
Jeffrey Dahmer-Fears loneliness and likes to manipulate people. Both Dahmer and Drew have issues of self-hatred. Dahmer killed 17 people and ate some of his victim.
Charles Manson-Likes to manipulate people and make them do evil things for him. Manson likely has issues of self-hatred like Lori Drew. However, Manson had delusion of grandeurs and megalomania. Also, Manson did not care about social status as he was consumed by revenge and paranoia.
Fred Phelps-Both are consumed by self-hatred and have paranoid thinking. Phelps and Drew feel like they are being persecuted. Also, they are highly narcissistic and self-righteous in nature. Phelps is a megalomaniac and has delusion of grandeurs and thinks himself as a "Messenger of God". Drew is not any of that.
Seung-Hui Cho-Drew and Cho have deep seated rage issues and their rage is pent up over time. They are paranoid, harbor grudges, and blame everyone but themselves. Cho and Drew view themselves as being victimized. However, Cho is very introverted, while Drew is very extroverted. Cho is psychotic, while Drew is psychopathic. Cho exhibits megalomania and delusions of grandeurs. Also, Cho killed 32 people at Virginia Tech.
Osama bin Laden-Drew and bin Laden are motivated by protecting something they hold dear to, from daughter to Islam. They are both consumed by paranoia. However, bin Laden is extremely paranoid to a point that he goes into hiding and is motivated by religion. Drew cannot be extremely paranoid as she cannot be a social climber. Also, Drew is not known to be religious. Lastly, bin Laden killed 3,000 people on 9/11.

Possible Analogs
Aileen Wuornos
Elisa Baker
Ted Bundy

Some things I wonder about Lori Drew.
Could she be a wedlock child?
What was her childhood like?
What was she like in school?
Could Lori Drew been a bully or been bullied?
Did she have any unusual behavior problems?
Does she have a history of estrangement?
Could her parent(s) could be religious? (Don't take this that I am attacking religion. Some evil people have come from religious parent(s).)
Could Lori Drew be religious? (Don't take this that I am attacking religion. Some evil people have come from religious parent(s).)

Interesting Tidbits about Lori Drew.
Born in the same month as Osama bin Laden and Casey Anthony.
Father is a banker.
Raised in Kansas City, Missouri.

I have seen photos and videos of Lori Drew and my thinking she has lot of anger in her, yet she feels she above everyone else.

Lori Drew's Family
http://www.mariestimemachine.com/fam/fam00208.html
http://www.mariestimemachine.com/fam/fam00193.html

Drew's family tree (Does not identify Lori Drew's father)
http://www.yodernewsletter.org/nonamish/yet2001b.html

Jerry Shreeves-Senior Vice President for the Feds
http://www.kc.frb.org/PUBLICAT/annreprt/ar95.pdf

Ashley Nicole Grills
DOB: Circa 1988
POB: St. Charles County, Missouri
Parents: James and Sandra Grills
Sibling(s): James Grills Jr.
Education Level: High School

Ashley Grills is a very dependent, needy, and insecure person. She longs for acceptance and fears loneliness. Grills is easily angered and can have uncontrollable rage. Grills cannot think for herself and is easily influenced by other people. Like Lori Drew has a highly distorted image of herself and consumed by self-hatred and jealousy. Grills sees Drew as a second mother, which suggests she comes from a dysfunctional family. The Grills were foreclosed in late 2007, which was a bad time for them as Lori Drew was exposed. Grills attempted suicide out of guilt and possibly out of fear of being rejected by society. Grills is most likely psychotic and traumatized.

Ashley Grills Analogs:
Dylan Klebold-Grills and Klebold are easily influenced by other people, in this case a psychopath. However, Klebold had megalomania and delusion of grandeurs. Also, Klebold though had special powers, unlike Grills. Grills is a lonely and angry person. Klebold killed 13 people at Columbine High School.
Susan Smith-Grills and Smith are very dependent and needy people. They are easily influenced by other people. Both are liars, but one can see through their lies.
Manson Followers-Grills was the one who did the dirty work for Lori Drew, like Leslie van Houten and Tex Watson. One difference is that Manson did not actually participate in killing people, while Drew participated.
People Who Tortured Sylvia Likens-Same as Manson followers, they do the dirty work for Gertrude Baniszewski, who is a paranoid psychopath.
Austin Renaud-Grills and Renaud are easily influenced by other people. They are confused and cannot think for themselves. They bully because they want to be accepted by their "leader", despite the fact they likely look down on them.
Ashley Longe-Grills and Longe have a highly distorted image of themselves and consumed by self-hatred, which drives their bullying. They are reactive and fearful of rejection and abandonment. Longe is more independent than Grills.
Molly Wei-Both cannot think for themselves. They are easily influenced and manipulate by a psychopath.
Casey Anthony-Histrionic and easily influenced by others, but Anthony is more independent, while Grills is very dependent.

What I wonder about Ashley Grills.
What was Ashley Grills' childhood like?
Was Ashley Grills a target of bullying and/or engaged in bullying?
Did Ashley Grills have any behavior or psychological problems when she was younger?
What was her relationship with her parents?

Ashley Grills had a presence on the Internet, but they are all gone. Here is one.
http://web.archive.org/web/20071210110854/http://www.xanga.com/istalkthedead06?

Looking at it, this suggests that Grills is confused, alienated, and lonely. She also shows a lot of anger issues. I remember seeing her MySpace page and it was the same nature, confused and angry.

An addendum for Lori Drew. She likely harbors grudges, bitter, and paranoid, which explains her vindictive nature. She cannot let go of any slighting she gets and lets it fester inside and builds up over time as they likely date back to her childhood. Drew has persecutory thoughts and think people talk bad about her or daughter. She is very sensitive to what people think about her. Drew likely has poor stress management and is easily stressed out. In many ways, Lori Drew is an outlier, in regards to how immature and sociable she is.

Disclaimer: This what I think and based on my analysis on them.

10 years since teen's tragic death after cyberbullying
http://www.kmov.com/story/33410596/10-years-since-teens-tragic-death-after-cyber-bullying

ST. LOUIS (KMOV.com) - Monday marked ten years since St. Charles County teenager Megan Meier took her own life, leading to a national discussion about cyberbullying.

It has been 10 years. The world did not know the following year in November 2007. Her death brought bullying to the forefront.

'My Space' hoax ends with suicide of Dardenne Prairie teen
http://www.stltoday.com/suburban-jo...cle_0304c09a-ab32-5931-9bb3-210a5d5dbd58.html

Some of Pokin's stories about Megan Meier's suicide
http://www.stltoday.com/suburban-jo...ion_04ba6500-017a-11e1-9cac-0019bb30f31a.html

Some behind the scenes about the November 2007 article from May 2014.

Pokin Around: The story of Megan Meier's suicide
http://www.news-leader.com/story/li...d-biggest-story-young-girls-suicide/19291825/

Missouri Mom Inspired to Help Bullying Victims After 13-Year-Old Daughter&#8217;s Suicide: &#8216;I Couldn&#8217;t Keep Quiet&#8217;
http://people.com/human-interest/mi...elp-bullying-victims-after-daughters-suicide/

It is in People Magazine from last month in April.

One looks at Lori Drew and one can see she is a mix of injustice collector and predator. To be more specific a vicarious injustice collector.

Injustice Collectors
http://www.psybersquare.com/family/family_injustice.html

Characteristics of Injustice Collectors:
1.) Injustice Collectors are convinced that they are never wrong. How is it possible that they are never wrong? It is simple: They are always right.

2.) Injustice Collectors never apologize. Ever. For anything.

3.) Injustice Collectors truly believe that they are morally and ethically superior to others and that others chronically do not hold themselves to the same high standards as the injustice collector does.

4.) Injustice Collectors make the rules, break the rules and enforce the rules of the family. They are a combined legislator, police, and judge and jury of

5.) Injustice Collectors never worry about what is wrong with themselves as their "bad list" grows. Their focus is always on the failings of others.

6.) Injustice Collectors are never upset by the disparity of their rules for others with their own expectations of themselves.

7.) Injustice Collectors rationalize their own behavior with great ease and comfort.

Lori Drew shows all 7 characteristics of an injustice collector.

Here are more with 20 characteristics
http://www.lisaescott.com/forum/2009/11/25/are-they-injustice-collector

Characteristics of Injustice Collectors

1. Injustice collectors are never wrong. How is it possible that they are never wrong? It's simple: They are always right.

2. Injustice collectors never apologize. Ever. For anything.

3. Injustice collectors truly believe they are morally and ethically superior to others and that others seem incapable of holding themselves to the same high standards as the injustice collector does.

4. Injustice collectors make the rules, break the rules and enforce the rules of the family. They are a combination of legislator, police, judge and jury to those they consider their subjects. They forever banish from their kingdom any subject they deem disloyal, and only grant clemency if there is sufficient (in their eyes) contrition.

5. Injustice collectors never worry about what is wrong with them as their "bad" list grows. Their focus is always on the failings of others.

6. Injustice collectors are never troubled by the disparity between their rules for others and their own expectations of themselves. Injustice collectors rationalize their own behavior with great ease and comfort.

7. Injustice collectors have an external orientation; the problem always exists in the world, outside of themselves, and in their view, the world would be an acceptable place if their rules and standards were followed at all times.

8. Injustice collectors do not have a capacity for remorse, empathy or guilt.

9. Injustice collectors scoff at the idea of therapy, therapists, self-help books, and other tools used by people who struggle to live with them.

10. The phrase "walking on eggshells" describes life with an injustice collector.

11. The IC (injustice Collector) will prey upon your weaknesses to frame all issues in their terms.

12. IC's will always cry foul when you are 'mean' to them and accuse you of being nasty when you are confronting them with their negative behavior.

13. They are titanically insecure and cannot trust anyone. All relationships they have, even with their own parents and children and trustless and must be reinforced by subordination over and over.

14. They can only strengthen relationships through imprisoning their mates and banning behaviors and other relationships. Friends and family are a huge threat to the IC.

15. They must repetitively revisit situations where you service them, give in to them and agree with them. They will over time shrink your world to a small plot of empty activities that only they like. They are terrified of travel, meeting new people, understanding new concepts and paroling you from any punishment they have previously 'convicted' you of.

16. They do not care about you at all, they care about aggrandizing themselves with you as an assistant producer.

17. They will occasionally do something for you, but if you are not completely brainwashed, it will be a negative experience for you in the end. Example is throwing you a birthday party. I guarantee you will not have fun at your own party.

18. They will force you to choose between them and other things you like or love. The more you choose them, the more they will make you choose them over and over. They do not understand the concept of loyalty at all.

19. Hypocrisy is their modus operandi for debating and arguing with you. Everything they say about you is true about them. (aka Projection) It makes it so you try to 'win' fights by getting them to agree with you, which they never can because their whole position is false.

20. Your life will disappear into their lives. Your hopes and dreams will fade, even in your own mind. You will eat what they want, you will watch what they want on TV, you will vacation where they want, or not at all.

Again, Lori Drew shows all 20 characteristics of an injustice collector.

I know the Show on ID channel only shows so much of what really happened with Megan. I just can't get over how Lori Drew is so mean to her. It just makes me sick of what the Meier family went through. jmo

I just saw this too: OMG -the woman who perpetrated this "hoax" is so evil, as to be unbelievable. I am glad that at least this case saw the light of day and went to court. It is a shame she was not prosecuted- but I think things have changed since then and this kind of case could now be prosecuted. That woman had not one iota of remorse---- such senseless tragedy.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Migrant
Back