NE NE - Jason Jolkowski, 19, Omaha, 13 June 2001 - #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.amw.com/missing_persons/case.cfm?id=49289

Jason Goes Missing

On June 13, 2001, Jason Jolkowski went missing from his home in Omaha, NE. Jason's boss called that morning to find out if he could come into work early. But according to his mother, Jason's car was in the shop so he arranged to meet a c-worker boss at Benson High School, only eight blocks away. Jason showered and changed and headed out the door. His little brother, Michael, recalls last seeing Jason around 10:15 a.m. taking garbage cans to the garage. But when Jason's employer called back to the house 30-45 minutes later because he had not shown up at the high school, the family knew something was wrong. Jason had simply vanished.

"Someone, somewhere, knows where our son is and could help us find him. Six years is too long to live without knowing."

Into Thin Air

Jason had a close relationship with his family, so no one believed he just made up his mind to disappear. Authorities monitored his bank account, cell phone and the body shop where Jason left his car. Nothing. The family estimates that Jason had no more than about $60 when he disappeared, and Jason never picked up his remaining checks from work. With no clues, police relied on information from neighbors that remember seeing Jason leaving his home near the Benson area in Omaha. But no one reported seeing anything suspicious. According to police, in addition to working and attending community college, Jason was a radio announcer, considered a trusting kid and naive when it came to the streets. Omaha authorities suspect foul play.

A "Shy Guy"

Jason was a shy young man who spent his time with family. He typically did not spend a lot of time socially interacting with friends. His family says he was not a drinker or drug user and that he spent most of his time either at home or at work. Before he disappeared, Jason was preparing to start a new job, about which the family says he was excited.

Jason was last seen wearing a blue Cubs hat and a white Cubs or "Sammy Sosa" t-shirt, black pants and black dress shoes.

Since Jason's disappearance, his family has become advocates on behalf of missing persons, founding a non-profit organization, Project Jason, and passing Jason's Law in Nebraska.

Bumping for Jason and all those who love and miss him dearly. I pray he will be found and the truth be known .. soon. Its been far too long with too few clues.

Kelly, thank you for all that you do to help all those who are missing.

Bumping for Jason.

Dearest Kelly,:blowkiss:
Is there anything that I can do to help you here in Vermont?

So much love and Respect for you,
dark_shadows

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/ne...16D882DFF30F9CDF8625738F001D3BFC?OpenDocument

(Article condensed)

Husband's disappearance leaves wife in legal, emotional quagmire

11/11/2007

Kyrstin Whitter has been in an emotional and legal quagmire since Aug. 30.

That was the last day she spoke to her husband of 17 years, George Whitter. Then he went missing.

She fears the worst, especially since Randy Greenman, the man with whom George Whitter was last seen alive, was found murdered, his body dumped in a Jefferson County subdivision under construction.

But to credit card companies, mortgage holders and insurance companies, George Whitter is not dead. The bills he once helped pay still pile up. His insurance and Social Security benefits aren't available because he has not been declared dead.

And even though she can't afford to keep their house, she isn't sure if she can sell it. That is, if she could even think about letting it go.

Facing these sorts of questions can be just as difficult as answering them, says Kelly Jolkowski. About four years ago, Jolkowski founded Project Jason, a nonprofit to provide support and resources to families of missing people. There were 50,930 active missing adult cases in the United States as of Jan. 31, the FBI's National Crime Information Center reported.

Jolkowski has yet to add a legal expert to the tools she offers to the hundreds of families nationwide who seek her help. She can only share anecdotes about legal issues with family members such as Kyrstin Whitter. For example, one woman recently had to divorce her missing husband to sell the house she couldn't afford without him, Jolkowski said.

Most families must wait seven years before a missing relative can be declared dead, she said.

But for many families, the act of divorcing someone, declaring them dead or selling their belongings when they are missing evokes a sense of defeat, Jolkowski said.

About six years ago, Jolkowski's 19-year-old son vanished from her Nebraska home shortly after finishing his chores. Jolkowski and her husband had co-signed his car loan, so they had to make the payments in his absence.

They learned if they published ads in the newspaper declaring the car was abandoned, they could legally sell it. However, they did not. "We couldn't do that, we didn't have the heart to do that," Jolkowski said. The car is paid off and still sits in their garage. "Selling it, to us, made a statement of, 'We don't think you're coming home.'"

Jefferson County sheriff's detectives said they have several persons of interest in the case of Randy Greenman's murder and have served search warrants in St. Louis and St. Louis County.

Gosh, I never thought about stuff like that in regards to the missing. So sad, you are falling apart and are putting everything into your missng family memebrs search and your world has stopped, but the rest of the world doesn't. obviously the finance companies could care less either. I wish there werea law of some kid on assistance for people like this.thanks for posting that for us.

Kelly, thank you for once again enlightening us on what families of the missing have to endure. I hope and pray that one day soon a skilled attorney gets on board (pro bono would be a beautiful gift) to aid your wonderful organization.

Lion

Thank you. Yes, hopefully we can get a pro-bono because we would never even come close to paying for one!

In most places, families of the missing are not considered victims, especially in adult cases.

There's no such thing as "missing insurance". If your spouse dies, and you have decent life insurance, you'll probably be ok, but if they are missing, that's another story.

I really don't see this changing. I fear if it did, we'd have some people fake their disappearances to get their homes paid off, etc.

However, there must be some way to help.

Thank you. Yes, hopefully we can get a pro-bono because we would never even come close to paying for one!

In most places, families of the missing are not considered victims, especially in adult cases.

There's no such thing as "missing insurance". If your spouse dies, and you have decent life insurance, you'll probably be ok, but if they are missing, that's another story.

I really don't see this changing. I fear if it did, we'd have some people fake their disappearances to get their homes paid off, etc.

However, there must be some way to help.
I think of you all the time. I wish I knew the answers and I still search for them. Maybe one day there will be an ironclast rule in place from LE to get these answers for families that have missing children whether they are adult or not. They are missing children. There is no separation from that fact if you are a parent.

I know that you have met many who will scam as open as you have been but know that not all are on board with that. I fully believe that karma will get them in the end. I don't believe it is our best interest not to proceed with what we can do. Even if it is meek and anonymous.

I think of you all the time. I wish I knew the answers and I still search for them. Maybe one day there will be an ironclast rule in place from LE to get these answers for families that have missing children whether they are adult or not. They are missing children. There is no separation from that fact if you are a parent.

I know that you have met many who will scam as open as you have been but know that not all are on board with that. I fully believe that karma will get them in the end. I don't believe it is our best interest not to proceed with what we can do. Even if it is meek and anonymous.

Thank you.

Yes, I believe that justice is always served at the end, and all who perpetuate scams will have theirs. Knowing that, I don't let it eat me alive with bitterness. I have too much work to do for that.

Kelly, thank you for once again enlightening us on what families of the missing have to endure. I hope and pray that one day soon a skilled attorney gets on board (pro bono would be a beautiful gift) to aid your wonderful organization.

Lion

Yes!

Kelly, you continue to be an inspiration to so many. :clap:

To my dearest Kelly,:blowkiss:
You are in my thoughts and prayers.

So much Love and Respect for you,
dark_shadows

Sending prayers and warm thoughts for you today.

Lion

Today marks 6 1/2 years since Jason disappeared from our lives. He has not, however, left our hearts. He will always be with us in spirit.

Today marks 6 1/2 years since Jason disappeared from our lives. He has not, however, left our hearts. He will always be with us in spirit.

Hugs and Kisses to you and your family Kelly. I pray that one day he will be found.

Kelly, I think of Jason and your whole family often. I pray that someday you get the answers you are seeking so you can have some closure and some type of peace. The work you do with Project Jason is awe inspiring. God bless you all.

To my dearest Kelly,:blowkiss: :blowkiss:
I just want you to know that I am thinking of you.

With all of my heart and soul to you,
Yours truly,
dark_shadows

A Blessed and Merry Christmas to you all!

2008 will bring more miracles and perhaps it will be our year for answers. In the meantime, please continue to pray for us and Jason.

Merry Christmas Kelly, to you and yours! Thinking of you all through the holidays.

2008-New Beginnings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member