NY – Ex POTUS Donald Trump, sued by E. Jean Carroll for defamation, Trial 15 Jan 2024

Thu, November 16, 2023 at 4:09 PM EST

A federal judge rejected Donald Trump's bid to add a new expert witness just two months before a trial addressing how much the former U.S. president owes for defaming the writer E. Jean Carroll, saying Trump "made his own bed" by waiting too long.

Donald Trump cannot assert presidential immunity from a defamation lawsuit by writer E Jean Carroll, who accused him of rape, an appeals court ruled, dealing the former president another legal setback.

The ruling upholds a federal judge’s decision to reject his claim of immunity, finding Mr Trump had waited too long to raise it as a defence. The trial will now go ahead on 16 January 2024.

Trump melts down on Truth Social after DOJ says it will no longer shield him in E. Jean Carroll case​

Trump spouted off on Truth Social early Wednesday, bemoaning the DOJ and the judge, asserting that his comments about Carrol were true and claiming the defamation case was another leg of the "political Witch Hunt" against him.

"The DOJ will not defend me in the E. Jean Carroll civil case, which is all part of the political Witch Hunt, lawyered up by a political operative who I just beat in another case, financed by a big political funder, and 'judged' by a Clinton appointee who truly hates 'TRUMP,'" he wrote in the first of three posts. "The statements that I made about Carroll are all true. I didn't Rape her (I won that at trial) and other than for this case, I have NO IDEA WHO SHE IS, WHAT SHE LOOKS LIKE, OR ANYTHING ABOUT HER…."
Melts down and spouted off.. unsympathetic journo strikes :)

Former President Donald Trump is asking a federal appeals court to delay his defamation trial set for next month in a lawsuit brought by E. Jean Carroll so he can consider other legal moves, including potentially taking the case to the US Supreme Court.

In a motion Thursday, Trump’s attorneys asked the appeals court to stay the trial to allow them time to consider their appellate options, including asking a full panel of appeals court judges to hear his arguments or taking the case to the Supreme Court.

2nd Circuit Court of Appeals denies Donald Trump's bid to delay upcoming E. Jean Carroll civil trial in Manhattan federal court

A great (and correct) ruling for @ejeancarroll and her incredible legal team led by @kaplanrobbie
.Now, Trump should be tried on damages only on January 15, 2024.

I thought the trial starts on 1/16 - as 1/15 is Martin Luther King Day.... ?? No?

• On Monday, the appeals court declined a request by Trump’s lawyers for a full review of his claim that federal immunity protects him from being sued for defamation by Carroll, according to the one-page ruling released by the court.
  • The latest defeat in the case, which is set to begin on Jan. 16, means that Trump’s last resort to pursue his immunity claim will be the U.S. Supreme Court.
  • A federal judge and the Second Circuit Court of Appeals in Manhattan had already ruled that Trump is not protected by presidential immunity in the case. Trump’s lawyers had requested that the full court of appeals consider the question.
Why it matters: Trump’s argument that presidential immunity protects him from prosecution continues to be rejected on appeal, but will ultimately be decided by the highest court in the land.

Last edited:

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KreepinSavage