Oregon - Coronavirus COVID-19

Noting:

The Portland metro area had by far the greatest number of people with positive tests Thursday, with 196 cases in Multnomah County, 134 cases in Washington County and 71 in Clackamas County. Cases stretched across the state, with 29 of Oregon’s 36 counties reporting at least one case.

State health officials say that while the data is incomplete, their best guess is that small informal indoor gatherings are driving the spread.

NOV 10, 2020
Gov. Brown pleads with Oregonians to stay home as COVID-19 strains hospital capacity
Last week, Oregon Health & Science University received a warning sign about the rising transmission of COVID-19.

The hospital has four intensive care units. Three are specialty units that generally serve people coming out of surgery. The fourth is a medical ICU that serves everyone else.

Last week, more than half the patients in that 16-bed medical ICU were admitted for COVID-19 illness.

That was the trigger for the hospital to begin enacting the first steps of its COVID-19 contingency planning. The medical ICU has now been converted to a COVID-19-only unit.

[...]

Oregon nurse details COVID-19 story, effects on her family
[...]

Even now, more than a month later, she says she's still feeling its effects.

Ormerod says she took all the precautions to stay healthy, which is why at first she didn't realize it could be the coronavirus.

"It came on very subtly, it was a tiny cough in my throat," Ormerod said. "I didn’t even make the connection to COVID initially."

[...]

COVID relief grants available for Oregon sex workers | KOIN.com
Strippers and sex workers around Oregon can now apply for federally funded COVID relief.

PDX Stripper Strike, the Portland chapter of the Haymarket Pole Collective, was recently awarded nearly $600,000 in a COVID-relief grant from the Oregon Health Authority. The organization is now seeking applications from sex workers who are Black and/or Indigenous, are transgender, live with a minor dependent at their home or are experiencing homelessness.

[...]

“[Sex workers] are suffering right now, and they don’t have anywhere to turn,” PDX Stripper Strike Founder Cat Hollis said. “We’re providing educational grants, professional development grants, and direct aid—rent support, food, and hygiene supplies—to sex workers most impacted by prejudice and COVID. Organizations like ours are the only things keeping sex workers from falling through the cracks.”

[...]

Noting:

Vaccinations continued with more than 5,000 doses administered Wednesday. To date, 38,698 people have gotten their first dose of the vaccine and more than 187,000 doses have been delivered to hospitals, clinics and long-term care facilities across the state.

Still, December will close as the deadliest month of the pandemic in Oregon with 387 fatalities and that number will likely rise as deaths this month are reported in the new year. In November, the month with the second-highest toll, 329 people died.

On Thursday, the state reported 1,789 new positive tests out of 20,195 tests performed, equaling an 8.8% positivity rate.

Here are the current vaccination trends in Oregon:

300,660 total doses administered

218,025 People 'series in progress' (vaccinated with the first injection)

39,264 People vaccinated fully (both first and second injection)

257,289 Total people vaccinated

Tableau Public

‘Impending doom’? Oregon likely to see spike in COVID deaths | KOIN.com
We took a hard look at the recent data and uptick in cases

OHA COVID data
“As we’ve seen with every rise in cases in the state, deaths follow a similar pattern two weeks afterwards. Since the early part of March, Oregon has hit a plateau. Cases have been steadily on the rise since the week of March 14th when we hit 2,031 cases. The next two weeks saw more cases (2,450 & 2,822) and we are currently on pace for this week to be even higher (current pace is 3,297.0).

That three week surge now puts us in the two-weeks later window of rising deaths. Through five days we’ve had more deaths already this week than in the full seven days of any of the last four weeks. That means deaths are now on the rise. And with cases still going up, we have no end in sight yet for the surge of the rising deaths window to finally start to ebb.“

Since I last posted in January, here are some updated figures:

2,170,539 total doses administered

514,296 People 'series in progress' (vaccinated with the first injection) I'm in this group for two more weeks!

859,912 People vaccinated fully (both first and second injection)

1,374,408 Total people vaccinated

A big change from January, but Oregon still has a long way to go to reach herd immunity!

Can anyone from Oregon chime in on the Governor's seemingly abrupt change of direction, regarding closures? The same thing just happened in Washington State. I wonder if Brown and Inslee received phone calls, from "higher up," that these restrictions are devastating to their "brand."

Gov. Kate Brown tells Oregonians: You could win $1 million -- but only if you’re vaccinated against COVID-19

Gov. Kate Brown announced Friday lottery prizes ranging from $10,000 to $1 million for Oregonians vaccinated against COVID-19 -- a strategy meant to address the dramatically decreasing numbers of residents inoculated each day.

All residents 18 and older who’ve received at least one shot of COVID-19 vaccine by June 27 will be entered into the “Take Your Shot Oregon” lottery, which will be held on June 28.

This is an interesting vaccine dashboard for Oregon. Zip codes were just added, so you can check your zip code and see how it’s doing. It shows a ranking of the ones with the most yet to be vaccinated in Oregon. One of the zip codes in my county is at #3.
https://public.tableau.com/app/prof...PCode?utm_medium=email&utm_source=govdelivery

As I expected, my zip code has the highest percentage vaccinated in Jackson county at 66.4%.
https://public.tableau.com/app/prof...PCode?utm_medium=email&utm_source=govdelivery

It will take awhile for the rest of the county to get to 65% goal with at least one vaccination, even though Gov. Brown says the State as a whole doesn’t have far to go to reach that.

My county has the most people needing to be vaccinated to reach 65% in the entire state! Not surprised. So as I predicted months ago, when I venture out of my town to the main shopping/doctor hub I will be encountering many more unvaccinated people. Of course, since my zip code is a tourist destination with visitors from other states, our high percentage of vaccinated residents doesn’t exactly make me feel that confident anyway.

My life will not change, but…as of June 30 at 12:01 a.m. Oregon is now open…no mask mandate, no social distancing, no limits on gatherings unless imposed by businesses (federal mandates still apply in health care settings and transportation). The state is still a little shy of 70% of the eligible population with at least one vaccination. My county (Jackson) in Southern Oregon is lagging behind at about 53% fully or partially vaccinated, especially in Medford, the shopping and medical hub.

Oregon is officially open. Here’s what’s different.

Vaccinating Oregon

Wow - are they the last state to reopen? I figure Oregon or New Mexico to be the first to use Delta as a reason to retighten the screws.

JUL 8, 2021
A post-pandemic Oregon: Experts talk new variants, flu cases and more (kezi.com)
[...]

There is also growing concern with new COVID-19 variants rapidly spreading. Health officials said there is a possibility the current vaccines will no longer be effective against the variants so the key is to get as many people vaccinated as possible. This is because emerging new variants only occur among infected people.

"The Delta variant is somewhere between three to five times more transmissible than most of the other strains of COVID-19 circulating," Pelz said. "This is likely to replace the other variants that are present in Oregon."

Currently, OHA reports that 92% of COVID-19 cases involve those who are unvaccinated. Health officials continue to emphasize the importance of vaccines and say that the notion that immune systems become more durable after infection is false.

[...]

JUL 5, 2021
Oregon makes ranchers vaccinate their mink against COVID-19 - OPB

2M2ZC26Q7JEIJEB6K22FQDNQXM.jpg

[...]

“ODA is taking the necessary precautions to reduce the risk of infection in captive mink, as well as reduce the risk of potential mutation of the virus and the potential for virus transmission back to humans,” Scholz said in a news release.

[...]

Michael Whelan with the Fur Commission USA said his group fully supports the move and ranchers have inoculated about 500,000 mink so far — or half the population.

[...]

Second shots are scheduled to be delivered later this month. It costs about 70 cents per shot, plus labor, for each mink.

[...]

A 2020 report by the Fur Commission USA counts 11 permitted mink farms in Oregon with an estimated 438,327 animals. That makes Oregon the fourth-largest pelt-producing state behind Wisconsin, Utah and Idaho. Eight of Oregon’s mink farms are in Marion County, with two in Clatsop County and one in Linn County.

JUL 24, 2021
Oregon COVID cases up 243% in 3 weeks | KOIN.com
[...]

The surge of COVID-19 cases caused by the delta variant is hitting across the entire United States. Oregon is no exception.

In the past 3 weeks, Oregon has seen new coronavirus cases rise by 243%. Nearly 3000 cases were recorded in the state this week, the highest weekly total since mid-May.

Health experts point out most of the new cases, along with virtually all hospitalizations and deaths from the delta variant, are in unvaccinated people.

[...]

JUL 22, 2021
Oregon calls for counties to ‘take action now’ to slow resurgent coronavirus - oregonlive.com
[...]

Those numbers are significantly lower than during various peaks of the pandemic, but the recent growth in cases differs in one important way from surges of the past: It affects almost exclusively a portion of the population that has chosen not to be immunized against the coronavirus since vaccines became universally available in April.

“The virus has evolved and it now poses an even greater threat to the unvaccinated,” Allen said. “And that threat is concentrated among unvaccinated people living in low vaccination counties.”

[...]

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AJAY0618
Back