Quarantine Vegetable Gardens

KALI

Reaction score
For my friends here, and their families.
Please plant vegetables.
like now.
seeds in soil are okay right now.
6 hours of sunlight will produce food.
No rocket science involved.
don't over water, don't underwater,
produce is going to get very expensive.
for more reasons then I can explain.
i hope you pay attention.
sincerely, Kali

Please plant vegetables.
like now.
sincerely, Kali
Thanks for the heads up!
I don’t have a hoe but think I saw a spade in the garage. Not sure about the soil here but can give it a try. Wonder how long it would take to order seeds.

Thanks for the heads up!
I don’t have a hoe but think I saw a spade in the garage. Not sure about the soil here but can give it a try. Wonder how long it would take to order seeds.

I guess it’s time to plant a container garden on our huge deck off our third (top) floor apartment with southern exposure...tomatoes, bell peppers for starters.

Please plant vegetables.
like now.
sincerely, Kali

Prepare the soil. Research it on line if you are new to veggie gardening. Build raised beds or use HUGE plastic planting tubs from nursery. Also check building supply retailers for those big tubs to store kids toys or whatever else they stuff in there. Rope handles. Drill holes in the bottom.
Set up in the sunniest spot in your yard. Cover holes with fabric weed control, handi wipes are great. Cheese cloth. Very thin fabric as in an old sheet. That will keep dirt in the pot but let water drain. I fill 1/3 sand. Then next 1/3 mulch stuff. Leaves. Compost. Kitchen scraps etc. No meat. No bones. They decompose while you garden top 1/3. And heats the top layer as it mulches away. Final top 1/3, my secret mix: native dirt, native soil, then add sand, and finally potting mix. Handful of fertilizer. Mix this top 1/3 up in separate container before pouring it onto top portion of pot. Like cooking. More sand if carrots, root veggies. More real dirt if you have naturally good dirt. Do not buy the “garden soil” at famed national retailers, cheap guys are the worst, it is almost always garbage. Not even good to fill in low spots in your grass. Ask gardeners what crops are suited for your part of the world. Corn doesn’t do too well in south Texas but citrus trees do great. Hot weather is not the time for cabbages. Pick off cabbage pests by hand as soon as you see them. Or spray with soapy water. Different times of year plant different veggies. Can’t just throw seeds on top of dirt and expect prize winning watermelons. Or anything else. Rotate crop locations in beds. So much to know, but yes, get seeds. Go from there. Fruit trees take several years to produce anything worthwhile. But plant whatever you can squeeze onto your land. Even if just herbs bc you only have a window sill.
Kids love green beans and they are big seeds. Easy to plant. Grow quickly. For little ones, it’s great satisfaction. Like radishes. And they’ll eat what they plant. Smiles are contagious.
Good luck. Any questions, let me know. I have 10 green thumbs.

I am going to go out tomorrow for vegetable plants and soil.
I will be careful.
I feel it is a necessary outing.
P.S, Mr. Kali and I had a rare big time fight tonight.
I cannot imagine how other families are dealing with this current stress and the weeks ahead.
Of course, I was right, and he was wrong. Smile.
Our President warned of a bad time coming up.
I believe him. He knows much more then we do, hang in there America. Be kind.
Sincerely, sad Kali.

I am going to go out tomorrow for vegetable plants and soil.
I will be careful.
I feel it is a necessary outing.
P.S, Mr. Kali and I had a rare big time fight tonight.
I cannot imagine how other families are dealing with this current stress and the weeks ahead.
Of course, I was right, and he was wrong. Smile.
Our President warned of a bad time coming up.
I believe him. He knows much more then we do, hang in there America. Be kind.
Sincerely, sad Kali.
Blessings to you and yours, Kali. There have been some frayed nerves in our household, too :) I'm debating whether or not to have a veggie garden this year, myself. Last couple of years, it was mostly a bust. Stay well.

I’m paying attention, @KALI, but I am interested in the reasons you think produce in particular will get expensive...or do you think this is pretty much true of most food, due to labor shortage...or?
Thanks. :)

I guess it’s time to plant a container garden on our huge deck off our third (top) floor apartment with southern exposure...tomatoes, bell peppers for starters.

I planted 10 young tomatoes in a very sunny spot, in my garden in Summer, requiring very little work.
I had numerous delicious tomatoes for months, feeding myself and neighbours.
Try it. Very satisfying.

Good morning everyone. I need sleep. I’m really lucky if I get more than two-three hours a night right now. Consistently waking up a 2am, thinking about how quickly the world has changed. I know I’m not alone in this, just venting...

Meanwhile, making sure I count my blessings every single day. I have a roof over my head, I have food, the cats have food and litter, I have a garden and right now I’m sitting with the windows open and a fresh breeze blowing the cobwebs out.

Yesterday evening, I ordered more compost, more seeds and plug plants. I only started container gardening a year ago, having previously convinced myself I have no green thumb at all.
Now, that garden is pretty much near the top of my gratitude list every day. I’m so thankful to have a small sheltered space to call my own.

The news continues to be unrelentingly grim but I am still hopeful we’ll adjust to our new normal and perhaps become kinder because of it.

Stay safe today, Sleuthers - and if you’re heading out, take extra good care. ❤️

I planted 10 young tomatoes in a very sunny spot, in my garden in Summer, requiring very little work.
I had numerous delicious tomatoes for months, feeding myself and neighbours.
Try it. Very satisfying.
I stopped growing then for a while after an encounter with that big caterpillar that wasps lay eggs on. It totally grossed me out.

I have returned to growing them again.
Cherry tomatoes are easy and bountiful.

Last edited:
@KALI I agree, that a garden is probably an excellent plan. Sorry that you had tension in your home, you probably aren't the only one.

@Snoods the trend of releasing prisoners is disturbing. Especially as, in the confusion, some very bad people could be out and about. No wonder gun sales are skyrocketing.

We may have some rough times ahead, but I don't see a grim, dystopian future. School will start back in the Fall. Every thing will get back to a new, different type of "normal".

@KALI said in the main thread the price of produce is going to be skyrocketing and I can definitely see that as well as shortages. She suggested those who can should try to grow some of their own so I thought I would start a thread where we can share info.

@KALI said in the main thread the price of produce is going to be skyrocketing and I can definitely see that as well as shortages. She suggested those who can should try to grow some of their own so I thought I would start a thread where we can share info.
Perfect timing! I just bought tomato, basil, cilantro etc seedlings Wed for this very reason. Even if prices don’t go up, I’d rather not buy thin-skinned produce thats been sitting out within inches where people stand to gather it. Not to mention all those who will touch/squeeze for ripeness. Will grab lettuce seeds next trip to WM!

Please plant vegetables.
like now.
sincerely, Kali

I agree with this advice. I've been saving all my yogurt cups and other little containers I would normally take to recycling. I've got tomatoes, peppers and eggplants in dirt in yogurt cups in my kitchen window right now. I cut little spilt for drainage in the bottom before planting. All my seeds are old ones I have saved from past gardens, some from as long ago at 2007 but I'm hoping they grow this year more than ever because the online seed catalogues I normally order from are already sold out.

For anyone who can't get a hold of any seeds you can start growing items from your grocery produce. Seriously. Let a few potatoes grow eyes, slice them up and plant in a big bag of dirt. Keep the onion root ends and plant. Save seeds from peppers and squash and try to plant them. Organic produce is more likely to be able to grow from seeds in my experience but non-organic often works too.

I've got green onions in a cup of water on my kitchen county right now. I cut the green part to use for cooking and they keep regrowing. I change out the water every couple days to keep mold from growing on them.

Perfect timing! I just bought tomato, basil, cilantro etc seedlings Wed for this very reason. Even if prices don’t go up, I’d rather not buy thin-skinned produce thats been sitting out within inches where people stand to gather it. Not to mention all those who will touch/squeeze for ripeness. Will grab lettuce seeds next trip to WM!

Yes, leafy type produce or produce that isn't cooked or peeled is very scary to me right now.

Thanks for the heads up!

you don't even need seeds for some
like you can pot sprouted vegis ... at least that's what I'm reading online

Back in the days before coronavirus became part of my everyday vocabulary, I was a regular customer at Wholefoods. On one visit, I bought a huge blue and red tomato which, when I got it home, I was horrified to realise had cost me £5.32. Yikes. Anyway, that tomato was the best thing I had eaten in ages.
At around the same time, I had started to take a small interest in gardening. So I made the trek to Kensington the next week and purchased another one. This time, I saved the seeds, cleaned them up and a few weeks later I planted some of them. Six months on, I had dozens of big, fat blue and red maters.
Early in February, I planted the remaining seeds and am happy to say that today I have about a dozen healthy looking seedlings that will go out into the garden as soon as the last frost has left.
I’ve done the same with pepper seeds, with lemon seeds and with some old supermarket potatoes.
Now more than ever I am so grateful for a garden of my own.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
radnewal
Back