Australia Samantha Murphy, 51, last seen leaving her property to go for a run in the Canadian State Forest, Ballarat, 4 Feb 2024 *Arrest* #9

Why would he incriminate himself?
Let Police/Prosecution prove his guilt.
Exactly. PS will never admit his guilt because only then does it become real. Only then does he need to admit what terrible things he has done, to his family.

What we know:
-22yrs old
-GF
-A-Class unrestricted electrical license
-Seady job with his Dad.
-Enjoys camping, 4WD and dirt bike riding.
-Played footy for Redan.
-He was out partying to the early hours of Saturday morning with friends in Ballarat (nothing more has been said about this which I find suspicious)
-He was house sitting with GF at the time (house now for sale)
-He drives a Hilux / Drove a hilux
-He was charged for drug/drink driving last October and is yet to face court for those charges (I'm unsure how he still managed to hold his licence !?)
-GF stayed by his side.
-His Dad, BIG O, is reportably a great bloke, and well liked around the area (for what it's worth)
-His family have since moved interstate since the dissapearance.
-His GF has left him.
-He was under surveillance for 2 weeks before his arrest.

What we can assume:
-LE have devastating evidence. Phone, dash cam, pings, CCTV, Witnesses- possibly other runners in the area, GF, Family, friends and more.
-It may have taken them a few weeks to sift through all that data/CCTV but i honestly believe LE found their money shot during those weeks! I believe LE have evidence that proves beyond any reasonable doubt, that SM is dead, and PS killed her.
-LE watched him/tracked him/tapped him/photographed him in the weeks after... -He possibly incriminated himself during these weeks. Talking to himself, washing, cleaning, visiting bushland, hiding evidence.
-PS is in denial. He won't talk because he's ashamed of not only murdering SM but commiting other acts that will shame his family.
-He's banking on LE proving his guilt without a body. Regardless of parole. What does he have to lose. He's covered his tracks well. He knows this.

On another note, Sissy Austin!!! 28, bashed with a home made weapon on a Saturday afternoon. The attack happened on a motorbike trail no more than 20km from where SM went missing. Yep a motorbike trail. A good place to attack someone if your WR 450 is parked close by. The attacker was male, caucasian and wore black jeans, a cap, and no shirt. PS is comfortable in the bush. He knows the bush.

Could phone data be tracked back this far? If so they might uncover some interesting data.

Exactly. PS will never admit his guilt because only then does it become real. Only then does he need to admit what terrible things he has done, to his family.

What we know:
-22yrs old
-GF
-Seady job with his Dad.
-Played footy for Redan.
-He was out partying to the early hours of Saturday morning with friends in Ballarat (nothing more has been said about this which I find suspicious)
-He was charged for drug/drink driving last October and is yet to face court for those charges (I'm unsure how he still managed to hold his licence !?)
-GF stayed by his side.
-His Dad, BIG O, is reportably a great bloke, and well liked around the area (for what it's worth)
-His GF has left him.

What we can assume:
-LE have devastating evidence. Phone, dash cam, pings, CCTV, Witnesses- possibly other runners in the area, GF, Family, friends and more.
-It may have taken them a few weeks to sift through all that data/CCTV but i honestly believe LE found their money shot during those weeks! I believe LE have evidence that proves beyond any reasonable doubt, that SM is dead, and PS killed her.
-LE watched him/tracked him/tapped him/photographed him in the weeks after... -He possibly incriminated himself during these weeks. Talking to himself, washing, cleaning, visiting bushland, hiding evidence.
-PS is in denial. He won't talk because he's ashamed of not only murdering SM but commiting other acts that will shame his family.
-He's banking on LE proving his guilt without a body. Regardless of parole. What does he have to lose. He's covered his tracks well. He knows this.

On another note, Sissy Austin!!! 28, bashed with a home made weapon on a Saturday afternoon. The attack happened on a motorbike trail no more than 20km from where SM went missing. Yep a motorbike trail. A good place to attack someone if your WR 450 is parked close by. The attacker was male, caucasian and wore black jeans, a cap, and no shirt. PS is comfortable in the bush. He knows the bush.

Could phone data be tracked back this far? If so they might uncover some interesting data.

I wonder if the accused was sleeping in the forest -
(in his car?)
after the bender to "sleep off" its effects before going home (to parents or gf).

And that's how he might have encountered Samantha there.

JMO

I wonder if the accused was sleeping in the forest -
(in his car?)
after the bender to "sleep off" its effects before going home (to parents or gf).

And that's how he might have encountered Samantha there.

JMO
Dotta I’ve wondered the same. Also wondered if SM had approached him to check he was ok (if he was sleeping she may have thought he was dead / unconscious). He’s reacted suddenly / viciously:.: All IMO

I see some confusion about how the accused was still allowed to hold a driver's license after some drink/drug charges.

Now it's been a while, and laws may vary state to state, but back when I was younger I had a few friends who were caught drink driving.

They were taken to the police station for testing, charged and then told to find their own way home.

I think you are allowed to collect your car 24 hours later.

Those friends were allowed to drive right up until court day and then once pleading guilty to driving under the influence had their license disqualified from the court day for however many months/years.

Edit: some light reading suggests police can suspend your license, but you may appeal the suspension. I guess if you hold a stable job which you need a car for, you would win the appeal... depending on priors.

Above being NSW law. Not Victoria.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:
It sounds like “the cloud” may be a crucial element in this case then…. Very fortunate Samantha was so tech equipped given that (as far as we currently know) Samantha’s watch and phone have still not been recovered…? :oops:

Even with the help of all those delightful doggies… :)

JMO
Definitely. While it's sad that technology was not able to save her life, it's a blessing that it will likely help solve her murder.

She was also due to run the Ballarat marathon according to Mick. Perhaps not the full marathon as there was a half marathon run as well as a 5km run included in the event.

She was also due to run the Ballarat marathon according to Mick. Perhaps not the full marathon as there was a half marathon run as well as a 5km run included in the event.

Yes. According to her friend VO she was training for the Run the Gap marathon ... which was held on 26th May.
Her friend said Sam would have stuck to the bush tracks, not gone off onto goat tracks, and would have stuck to the shade.

(as per my previous paywalled link)

Those friends were allowed to drive right up until court day and then once pleading guilty to driving under the influence had their license disqualified from the court day for however many months/years.

Still applies. In recent times I have provided two letters (for two separate staff members at different times) explaining how they need to be able to drive for work as they work at varying customer sites all over town.

They both knew they would lose their license when they got to court (not before).

They both were awarded conditional licenses which allowed them to drive from 6:30am to 4:30pm - covering their tradie work hours plus an hour to get to work and an hour to get home.

imo

Still applies. In recent times I have provided two letters (for two separate staff members at different times) explaining how they need to be able to drive for work as they work at varying customer sites all over town.

They both knew they would lose their license when they got to court (not before).

They both were awarded conditional licenses which allowed them to drive from 6:30am to 4:30pm - covering their tradie work hours plus an hour to get to work and an hour to get home.

imo
He ( Stephenson ) probably didn't ( luckily ) have any demerit points outstanding.. VICPOL can indeed rescind one's licence on the spot... They can take away your licence on the spot if your reading is 0.10% or more, or it is a second drink driving offence, or you are charged with refusing a police requirement, or the police claim you are drink driving when under 26 years old or on P plates. So he was on the radar for an immediate suspension,

Other factors must have come into play to enable him to hold onto his licence ( albeit he would have been under a warning thingy and on a temporary stay pending court) .

He just got a lucky break on that matter, probably because he had a job, a reliable trade job,.probably his father as his employer put in a guarantee for him, stuff like that. ....

The accident was on his motor cycle, but I am pretty sure the same rules apply.. probably a bit heavier, motor cycles being regarded as just as dangerous in the hands of a drug affected, alcohol affected driver......

He just got a lucky break on that matter, probably because he had a job, a reliable trade job,.probably his father as his employer put in a guarantee for him, stuff like that. ....
bbm
Something like that, was my first thought. A tradie (apprentice) without license would have been a problem for the company.

So perhaps he had permission for work license on appeal and therefore more likely to take a dirt road on a Sunday when he wasn't meant to be using his car.

Then possibly being involved in a hit causing injury and panick setting in due to the fact he was already in the wrong, took the victims life and then some time to come up with a disposal plan.

*All speculation

So perhaps he had permission for work license on appeal and therefore more likely to take a dirt road on a Sunday when he wasn't meant to be using his car.

Then possibly being involved in a hit causing injury and panick setting in due to the fact he was already in the wrong, took the victims life and then some time to come up with a disposal plan.

*All speculation
Most likely on a restricted licence also... ie. only able to travel between work and home... something like that. When one is under a restricted licence, all and any vehicles registered in your name go on a data base that will pick you up out of your designated area. CCTV on freeways, etc.. then one is tracked, back and forth,......

Still..... as Patton says..not a hit and run...in fact , police have not announced the mechanics of her death... 'attacked ' was then descriptor, and the only one used.....

What we know:
-22yrs old
-GF
-Seady job with his Dad.
-Played footy for Redan.
-GF stayed by his side.
-His GF has left him.

What we can assume:

Great post hillshaveeyes. Is there a link re gf having left PS? TIA

If, as hillshaves has suggested, “PS will never admit his guilt because only then will it become real..” I wonder how PS may react in the context of possible/probabledevastating evidence. Phone, dash cam, pings, CCTV, witnesses - possibly other runners in the area, GF, family, friends and more…”. Or essentially some “money shot” “…that proves beyond all reasonable doubt, that SM is dead, and PS killed her…” (allegedly). With or without a body…??

Any thoughts? (Purely speculatory and hypothetical of course…)

Last edited:
If, as hillshaves has suggested, “PS will never admit his guilt because only then will it become real..” I wonder how PS may react in the context of possible/probabledevastating evidence. Phone, dash cam, pings, CCTV, witnesses - possibly other runners in the area, GF, family, friends and more…”. Or essentially some “money shot” “…that proves beyond all reasonable doubt, that SM is dead, and PS killed her…” (allegedly). With or without a body…??

Any thoughts? (Purely speculatory and hypothetical of course…)
In my opinion

The accused is probably full of self pity,
"oh poor me"...

"His lawyer David Tamanika warned
his client was at risk of self harm while behind bars."

:rolleyes:

In my opinion

The accused is probably full of self pity,
"oh poor me"...

"His lawyer David Tamanika warned
his client was at risk of self harm while behind bars."

:rolleyes:

IMO, maybe he has been on a path of self-destruction for years.

I'm not sure why but I often think about Bogsy and the Claremont killings. I listened to the Podcasts religiously from the Western during the trial. I couldn't get enough. I still hear the dry, monotone voice of Justice Hall before the verdict was read out...
"You were a dangerous predator who sought out vulnerable young women and attacked them for your own gratification"..
"You targeted unsuspecting women who were usually completely unknown to you"...

Edwards was little athletics volunteer of 10 yrs. He was a Telstra technician. He was a husband, twice. A Vets footy player. A computer nerd/gamer. A neighbour. A helper. But most of all a sadistic rapist and murderer. He lived amoung the boring Perth community for years without detection. He was careful. Well, as careful as you needed to be back then. He made few mistakes. He only confessed to the rape of a 17yr old at Karrakatta cemetery victim because he knew they had his DNA. Possibly his 1st attempt.

Someone like Patrick Stephenson may have very well become Bogsy. I honestly believe SA was attacked by PS. I think there was a patten there. The bush. The bike track. The running path. His athesletasism. I dont blame drugs or alcohol. I don't blame a bad upbringing, homelessness or abuse. Killers are killers. They learn and evolve and kill because they get a thrill out of it. It's really as simple as that. And if you can stop them early....well we're very lucky.

Thank you technology. Thank you LE. May SM death bring awareness to all female violence across this continent. Let's remember SM for the time that a mindset changed.

But it was a chilly morning.
Just to put the temp into context … Sunday Feb 4th 2024 was the hottest day of the month topping at 37 C at 5 pm . It was a predicted hot day and many sensible athletically minded folk would have wisely started the day early . Here are the hourly temps for Mt Clear that Sunday…
5.00 am 12 C
6.00 am 13 C
7.00 am 13 C ( departure )
8.00 am 16 C ( assault ? )
9.00 am 20 C
10.00 am 24 C
11.00 am 27 C
12.00 am 30 C
1.00 pm 34 C
2.00 pm 35 C
3.00 pm 35 C
4.00 pm 36 C
5.00 pm 37 C
6.00 pm 37 C

Just to put the temp into context … Sunday Feb 4th 2024 was the hottest day of the month topping at 37 C at 5 pm . It was a predicted hot day and many sensible athletically minded folk would have wisely started the day early . Here are the hourly temps for Mt Clear that Sunday…
5.00 am 12 C
6.00 am 13 C
7.00 am 13 C ( departure )
8.00 am 16 C ( assault ? )
9.00 am 20 C
10.00 am 24 C.
11.00 am 27 C
12.00 am 30 C
1.00 pm 34 C
2.00 pm 35 C
3.00 pm 35 C
4.00 pm 36 C
5.00 pm 37 C
6.00 pm 37 C
Thanks Dr. I have already looked this up. It sure shows the differences that can occur in Ballarat. Unlike northern parts of Oz.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kayjay90
Back