Stress from COVID-19 reports

I'm considering getting the vaccine soon to bring me peace of mind.

That's good to hear! :)

I hope you will get vaccinated ASAP. It won't protect you from bad news but will definitely protect you from getting a serious case of Covid, with potential long-term effects, and will protect you from being hospitalized or dying due to Covid.

images

@weepingangel Thank you for pointing me back to this thread!

@Forumetiolo I hope you are well and feeling better with managing some of the pandemic stress.

I've generally limited myself on looking up numbers and Covid related news..but have been monitoring more recently with Christmas coming up. Husband's family wants us to come there for Christmas (like we normally did pre-covid) but I don't think that will happen. I have family asking about coming to visit us, which I also don't think will happen.

Concerned about the new variant popping up as well.

@weepingangel Thank you for pointing me back to this thread!

@Forumetiolo I hope you are well and feeling better with managing some of the pandemic stress.

I've generally limited myself on looking up numbers and Covid related news..but have been monitoring more recently with Christmas coming up. Husband's family wants us to come there for Christmas (like we normally did pre-covid) but I don't think that will happen. I have family asking about coming to visit us, which I also don't think will happen.

Concerned about the new variant popping up as well.

I'm sure we all had hoped for a much more normal holiday season than we had last year, but with ongoing cases and hospitalizations, not to mention new variants of the rampant virus, that is seeming less likely by the day. I'm glad that most of the local family was able to gather for Thanksgiving, but who knows what the coming weeks will bring? My sister brought holiday gifts in case a family Christmas get together doesn't happen. I think everyone will have to be cautious about the amount of time they spend with family members and/or friends who might not be vaccinated/boosted or exposed to folks who might be infected with the virus. As much as we desire a return to normalcy this holiday season, we all need to act responsibly and do what is in the best interest of our personal health and well-being. JMO

I'm sure we all had hoped for a much more normal holiday season than we had last year, but with ongoing cases and hospitalizations, not to mention new variants of the rampant virus, that is seeming less likely by the day. I'm glad that most of the local family was able to gather for Thanksgiving, but who knows what the coming weeks will bring? My sister brought holiday gifts in case a family Christmas get together doesn't happen. I think everyone will have to be cautious about the amount of time they spend with family members and/or friends who might not be vaccinated/boosted or exposed to folks who might be infected with the virus. As much as we desire a return to normalcy this holiday season, we all need to act responsibly and do what is in the best interest of our personal health and well-being. JMO
I agree with you. I've been telling my family no a few times this year when they've asked about visiting. I would be fine not traveling for Christmas either with the way things seem to be going. I think we get a little side-eye for the choices we make as we seem to be more cautious than most in our family.

Not to mention, we can make plans and still run the risk of there being an exposure that keeps us home. We planned to stay home for Thanksgiving anyway but ended up doing virtual schooling this week for my son due to a possible exposure in his classroom.

I'm starting to feel stress related to that scary new variant found in South Africa. We had already decided not to travel over the holidays this year but were hoping to do some traveling in 2022. Will the virus prevent that?

U.S. to restrict travel from South Africa, seven other nations amid new Covid variant
(BBM)

The U.S. will restrict travel from South Africa and seven other countries, effective Monday — a response to the emerging and newly-named "Omicron" variant of Covid-19, President Joe Biden said Friday.

The policy, senior administration officials said, "was implemented out of an abundance of caution," and after advice from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and Biden's chief medical adviser, Dr. Anthony Fauci.

It’s like the light at the end of the tunnel keeps moving out of reach.
And well a new potential scary varient.

my stress relief the last week or so has been holiday (online) shopping haha

Complete with detailed list keeping of purchases. Its just been a good distraction I guess. Just trying to keep up with all the tracking/delivery info is a part time job
I was trying to take the supply chain/shipping delays seriously and not be scrambling in mid December :confused:

also. Decluttering. Not relaxing exactly. But it takes my mind off things.

eta - I also got some diy hair dye as I’m long overdue and it always gives me a little pick me up feeling to cover the gray :D

Last edited:
I'm also finding ways to manage stress which makes me feel anxious too.

My optician advised me to start using heat masks on my eyes, because I have that blepharitis thing. I heat it for 25 seconds, then sit with it on for around 10 minutes. It is so relaxing! If I'm feeling a bit agitated, I'll focus on breathing at the same time, for a minute or two. Thoroughly recommend it, for a destresser.

It’s like the light at the end of the tunnel keeps moving out of reach.
And well a new potential scary varient.

my stress relief the last week or so has been holiday (online) shopping haha

Complete with detailed list keeping of purchases. Its just been a good distraction I guess. Just trying to keep up with all the tracking/delivery info is a part time job
I was trying to take the supply chain/shipping delays seriously and not be scrambling in mid December :confused:

also. Decluttering. Not relaxing exactly. But it takes my mind off things.

eta - I also got some diy hair dye as I’m long overdue and it always gives me a little pick me up feeling to cover the gray :D
I've been doing a little retail therapy myself.
I want to get some things to make "cozy" packages to send to a couple friends of mine.

And decluttering is definitely a stress buster for me!

This new variant has me really worried. I was recently dx with breast cancer (2nd time) and have to try to get through 5 months of chemo, then surgery, then radiation. Getting port put in this Tuesday.

@Midgie2, I'm sorry to hear that you will be going through this. I'll pray for your treatment to go well and be successful. Hugs!

I'm also finding ways to manage stress which makes me feel anxious too.

My optician advised me to start using heat masks on my eyes, because I have that blepharitis thing. I heat it for 25 seconds, then sit with it on for around 10 minutes. It is so relaxing! If I'm feeling a bit agitated, I'll focus on breathing at the same time, for a minute or two. Thoroughly recommend it, for a destresser.
Is that from covid? I am beginning to think that I may have had it and been unaware. I have blepharitis really badly.

Despite getting our boosters a week ago, I was already stressed about a flight we have to take December 6 from Southern Oregon to L.A. for a special medical test my dh needs…and now I’m just praying Omicron avoids the West Coast at least until we go back into hibernation in Oregon December 9. Ha! Fantasyland, I know. All we can do is mask up, keep our hands clean and hope for the best. :(

Is that from covid? I am beginning to think that I may have had it and been unaware. I have blepharitis really badly.
See now, good question! I told the long covid clinic that I was sure it was a symptom but as it isnt recognised yet they kind of swept it away. But then when I went to my optician for the contact lens health check, there was a note on file from a couple of years ago that my tear ducts were blocked. So possibly it had just got worse but I still feel it was aggravated by covid. Least of all as I hardly wore lenses since March 2020.

Either way, try the heatpad Jay. I think it is starting to have an effect and it is really relaxing.

Finally got a Covid booster today. I’ve been battling a severe cold for two weeks and finally felt well enough to get the vaccine. My cancer treatment had to be postponed to next week.

Because of my chemo and the germs flying around our kids are going to have us be there via FaceTime for Christmas Eve. Missing my little grand babies terribly already. But Im trying to look at the big picture. Get through these next few months of chemo and treatment and I can be with them again.

I hope everyone is getting through these days as best they can. Take care of you!

So far, so good after our trip to L.A. last week. No sign yet of Omicron. But now we have to drive about 300 miles to Sacramento for a brand new kind of PET/CT scan on Monday. My husband’s very low grade prostate cancer has decided to jump to the highest grade and we have to find out if it’s spread in order to determine treatment. :(

We actually had a really nice time where we stayed in L.A. on the water, so we will try to make lemonade out of lemons and turn this trip into a little vacation too. The change of scenery really was good for us, and if it weren’t for these medical reasons we’d never go anywhere or even eat in a restaurant at home. So at least we can do these things without feeling like we’re taking unnecessary risks. But we’d rather we didn’t have to, of course. I’m happy to hibernate!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zootopian2
Back