VA VA - The Colonial Parkway Murders, 1986-89

Was looking back over a series of WAVY articles that included interview commentary from Wells worth looking over.
It does seem that the polygraph reliance was not the only serious mistake leading to a cold case. mistakes, LE turf wars and heel-dragging on evidence sharing played a role. 30 Years Later: The Colonial Parkway Murders — Part 2

They mention that investigators thought the killer had died or gone to prison since there were no more murders after 1989.

New methods today that solve cold cases reveal that many spree and serial killers sometimes are still alive and free decades after their crimes. We now know that some killers take a long hiatus, especially if they fear getting caught. Joseph D'Angelo (GSK), Rex Heuermann, etc. JMO, it's why more cold cases need to be investigated with modern tools. Doing so provides experts with much more information about the behavior of killers, how they evade detection, why they stop.

They mention that investigators thought the killer had died or gone to prison since there were no more murders after 1989.

New methods today that solve cold cases reveal that many spree and serial killers sometimes are still alive and free decades after their crimes. We now know that some killers take a long hiatus, especially if they fear getting caught. Joseph D'Angelo (GSK), Rex Heuermann, etc. JMO, it's why more cold cases need to be investigated with modern tools. Doing so provides experts with much more information about the behavior of killers, how they evade detection, why they stop.
He possibly changed his hunting grounds, or his dumping grounds. The Amber Lundgren case in Asheville was in 97; if DNA links him there, how many others might there be.

@149Zone7

Next Wednesday there will be a very special Zone 7! We will be hosting the peerless Bill Thomas and Kristin Dilley with Breaking News on the Colonial Parkway Murders! Who was Alan Wade Wilmer Sr?

10:45 AM · Jan 15, 2024

View attachment 474873

@149Zone7

Outstanding work! The testing and retesting of the old kits have proven to be a great investigative link to serial offenders - here a major link to the Colonial Parkway Serial Killer. I’m honored to be on our SAKI team at the DA’s Office - this case break shows the importance! Let’s connect more dots!

View attachment 474874
4:33 AM · Jan 13, 2024

@149Zone7

These are pictures I took from the Colonial Parkway Murder Scene Area in 2018. @BillThomas56 @CrimeCon @crimeonlinenews @NancyGrace Listen to Bill and Kristin from Mind Over Murder!!
https://iheart.com/podcast/1119-zone-7-with-sheryl-mccoll-106023288/episode/suspect-breakthrough-the-colonial-parkway-murders-143585457?cmp=ios_share&sc=ios_social_share&pr=false

1705855545113.png1705855557777.png1705855575952.png

Polygraphs remain pseudoscience woo. They are not reliable, they are psychological pressure tools that produce mixed and inaccurate results. Reliance on them as dispositive in any case is irresponsible and in the case of the Wilmer Sr (given all the reasons to pursue continuing observation and investigation) led to both preventable deaths and false imprisonments. (Howell suspect was only cleared by DNA)

Indeed. Though reading up on some cases from the period, like the Oakland Co. Child Murders, suggests that some jurisdictions invested heavily in the technology and thereafter relied heavily on it as more than an investigative step. IIRC Michigan had its own poly lab and while there was controversy even then too many cases seem to have been impacted by a perfectly plausible suspect being "cleared" by a negative or even inconclusive polygraph.

Hundreds of links available, here's one:

This guy has a fairly good video of the Parkway and present day locations of the crime scenes. He also shows the area at night, to give an idea of how dark it is there at night.

ETA: I notice Bill Thomas (brother of victim Cathy Thomas) left a very nice comment on this video stating he appreciates the work.

Last edited:
This guy has a fairly good video of the Parkway and present day locations of the crime scenes. He also shows the area at night, to give an idea of how dark it is there at night.

ETA: I notice Bill Thomas (brother of victim Cathy Thomas) left a very nice comment on this video stating he appreciates the work.
Thanks for posting this video, i really got a sense of the area, the beauty by day and the terrifying darkness at night.

Glad to see some progress made on this case. On that blue Dodge pickup truck supposedly owned by the believed assailant back then - Has anyone been able to discern the writing on that door? Are there better images we can work with?
As best I can tell, it appears to be a circa 1966 Dodge pickup, D series or D100? The wording might include some (unidentified) Auto Wrecker, and has a phone number with possible area code. And the city state appears to be Kilmarnock, VA? Perhaps? (Don’t believe it says Rappahannock, Yorktown, or Williamsburg?) MOO

Happened across this case, which is of personal interest as I grew up in the area, went to high school in Yorktown & Williamsburg and graduate school at W&M.
General observation was that there was typically less police presence on the Colonial Parkway (CP) as it was federally maintained, and usually monitored by the National Park Service (NPS). Back in the day there were many pull offs or rest areas (some isolated) where one could park for whatever reason. Many are now closed.

In my mind, I cannot overlook the element of surprise or being startled by someone encountering a couple parked in a vehicle. Whether authority figure or someone posing as one is not clear. And yes, many of the areas can be desolate or isolated.

As to diesel or kerosene and attempts to douse or light the white Honda (I think?) - there was a picture of a blue Dodge pickup truck supposedly once owned by Mr. Alan Wade Wilmer? It seems to be related to an auto wrecker or salvage operation? Diesel or kerosene might have been a fuel for heavy industrial equipment or large trucks? As best I can determine from that photograph, the rear bed of that truck appears to contain a tool crib or tool chest? It does not seem to be an auxiliary fuel or lubricant tank for heavy equipment maintenance?

I hope that some traction can be made on these other cases. (There is another related area murder from a slightly earlier time. Michael Marnell Smith was convicted of the circa May 1977 rape and murder of Audrey Weiler on the Colonial Parkway. But that may not be related.)

One other historical fact: The Colonial Parkway was one of the early circa 1930s Civilian Conservation Corp (CCC) work projects to help with funding and infrastructure in those days. I believe that was begun in President Franklin Roosevelt’s time. MOO

(snipped by me for response):

Anyone have statistics on how many rangers were on duty at night during the time of the murders? As many times as I used the parkway, I don't recall ever seeing a Park Ranger. That's another reason why I don't think it was someone impersonating LE that committed these murders - someone that appears to be LE would've actually stood out to locals and locals were the ones using the parkway at night. The killer would want to blend in to insure anonymity.
I don’t have specific data, but as I am also from that area have a few observations.

The Colonial Parkway (CP) traverses between Yorktown, Williamsburg, and Jamestown, Virginia. If i remember correctly it was ~13 miles from Williamsburg to Yorktown on the CP. Back in those days (I.e. early 1980s) as I recall there were a limited number (~2?) of Park Rangers that resided within the Park towards the Jamestown end (near Neck O Land Road terminus) and also on occasion surveilled the roads. But their numbers were limited and my recollection is their patrols were intermittent. There was also a maintenance shed area nearby the 2 park ranger residents on the Jamestown end of the parkway. Similarly there were a few park ranger residences on the Yorktown end of the CP as I recall. But I can’t be sure of where those locations were. The Naval Weapons Station is also situated along the CP on the end towards Yorktown. That area has access to the York River. And perhaps some watercraft also utilized diesel fuel?

Maybe others can help with more specifics on these points. MOO

Others also mentioned about the CP construction or layout. Most of it is three lanes wide concrete with large embedded brown gravel or stone with a central shared lane that is not dedicated. It has a coarse surface and expansion joints which can easily ‘grab’ the wheel of a bicycle or motorcycle. Occasional no passing zones in the center area on some areas and curves for safety. Virtually no lights or illumination at night back in those days I believe? Usually it was used more for a slow or desirous daytime leisure ride on weekends. Very scenic but one had to be mindful of opposing traffic in the center lane. And when younger, because of the isolated turn outs and pull offs, it was common to grab a girlfriend and go park and watch the ‘submarine races’. It is so unfortunate to hear of these attacks and murders in those areas. IMO

Lastly as some others notes, the Ragged Island wildlife reserve on the James River is somewhat distance from most of the other locations in consideration here along the CP. MOO

Last edited:
So I think I have an alternate option (to boats) as to where where the killer may have procured diesel from in with the murder of Cathy and Becky.

Did/Does the Colonial National Historical Park utilize rough terrain vehicles (RTV) for park maintenance?

Because the ones I am familiar with - used by the county in FL where I live - have Kubota RTV's.

Guess what?

These are diesel-operated vehicles. I don't know if CNHP utilized Kubota - but am throwing this possibility out there.

We just got back from a hike at out favorite preserve and took close notice of the vehicles the county uses for park maintenance....
No, to my knowledge there were not RTV or ATV vehicles used by the NPS at that time to police the roads. MOO

Last edited:
Does anyone know what the color of the park ranger cars used in the 1980's was?

Also - what color were the police cars used by the state of Virginia?

If the park ranger cars used at the time were green (leaning towards the dark shade of green here), at night, no lights on the road or anything - they will "show up" as black.
National Park Service (NPS) vehicles used on the CP in the circa 1980s were the light or forest green color with a brown door emblem and dark green lettering. The cars at that time as I recall were typically an AMC Matador or perhaps a Ford LTD? usually four door vehicles. Roof rack lights were more prominent in those days, and the lights I think were usually blinking white, but might have been red? I can’t be sure.

I believe Virginia State police (VSP) cars have typically been silver blue, with dark blue accents and dark lettering. They tended to be General Motors four door vehicles back then I think? Roof rack mounted lights, possibly blue or red? It was not very common to see a VSP vehicle on the CP. MOO

Last edited:
Happened across this case, which is of personal interest as I grew up in the area, went to high school in Yorktown & Williamsburg and graduate school at W&M.
General observation was that there was typically less police presence on the Colonial Parkway (CP) as it was federally maintained, and usually monitored by the National Park Service (NPS). Back in the day there were many pull offs or rest areas (some isolated) where one could park for whatever reason. Many are now closed.

In my mind, I cannot overlook the element of surprise or being startled by someone encountering a couple parked in a vehicle. Whether authority figure or someone posing as one is not clear. And yes, many of the areas can be desolate or isolated.

As to diesel or kerosene and attempts to douse or light the white Honda (I think?) - there was a picture of a blue Dodge pickup truck supposedly once owned by Mr. Alan Wade Wilmer? It seems to be related to an auto wrecker or salvage operation? Diesel or kerosene might have been a fuel for heavy industrial equipment or large trucks? As best I can determine from that photograph, the rear bed of that truck appears to contain a tool crib or tool chest? It does not seem to be an auxiliary fuel or lubricant tank for heavy equipment maintenance?

I hope that some traction can be made on these other cases. (There is another related area murder from a slightly earlier time. Michael Marnell Smith was convicted of the circa May 1977 rape and murder of Audrey Weiler on the Colonial Parkway. But that may not be related.)

One other historical fact: The Colonial Parkway was one of the early circa 1930s Civilian Conservation Corp (CCC) work projects to help with funding and infrastructure in those days. I believe that was begun in President Franklin Roosevelt’s time. MOO

Also once he cornered folks, they like have been truly trapped.

Good post.

Glad to see some progress made on this case. On that blue Dodge pickup truck supposedly owned by the believed assailant back then - Has anyone been able to discern the writing on that door? Are there better images we can work with?
As best I can tell, it appears to be a circa 1966 Dodge pickup, D series or D100? The wording might include some (unidentified) Auto Wrecker, and has a phone number with possible area code. And the city state appears to be Kilmarnock, VA? Perhaps? (Don’t believe it says Rappahannock, Yorktown, or Williamsburg?) MOO
The truck was identified as a 1966. Most likely the truck was retired from whatever business used it had in the past, and the lettering partially removed/obscured when sold from the business. This Is what i see when I look at the best images I can find of it.

Does it say Bay Auto Wholesale?

Does it say Bay Auto Wholesale?
Excellent work my friend! You may well be onto something here! That could well be. Although I still can’t quite be sure of that last word or whether Wrecker or Wrecking?

Maybe someone has some historical records of businesses in that area at that time. Appreciate the eyes and input! MOO

Good video for those unfamiliar with the murders.

rbbm re-fresher.
Jan 19 '24
''All of the Colonial Parkway murder victims' families want everyone to take a good look at pictures law enforcement released of Alan "Pokey" Wilmer and share information they might have.
1706158295540.png
Wilmer stood only 5'5" tall and also owned a tree service company for a time.

"Think Popeye," Thomas said. "He works on the water. He's got this really built upper torso from working on the water. His hands are very large and very calloused."

''Tips can also be sent online at www.tips.fbi.gov or by email to questions@vsp.virginia.gov. Anonymous tips are also welcome and can be sent to the Peninsula Crime Line.''

Jan 8, 2024
Police named Alan Wilmer Sr. as a suspect linked to three unsolved Virginia murders. Investigators used DNA from Wilmer, who died in 2017, to link him to the 1987 murders of David Knobling and Robin Edwards in Isle Of Wight, and the 1989 murder Teresa Lynn Spaw Howell in Hampton

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Migrant
Back