WA WA - Anne Marie Burr, 8, Tacoma, 31 Aug 1962

Some of this information is incorrect. First, there was more than just “rainy weather” that night; there was a terrible storm and the rain was torrential. Second, Ted Bundy lived three miles from the Burr house, not just blocks away. Third, while Ted was, indeed, a paperboy at the time Ann Marie disappeared, the Burrs weren't, and never had been, on his route. Fourth, Bundy was never the prime suspect in the case: both the police and the girl's parents suspected a 17-year-old neighbor who also lived on North 14th Street, just three houses away from the Burrs. The fact is, there is no way a skinny 14-year-old boy could have ridden his bike three miles on such a night and sneaked into a house with which he was unfamiliar and where there was a dog in the basement that night because of the storm. Once inside the house, he would have had to make his way upstairs and into Ann Marie's room – though he had no idea which room was hers – and carry the overweight child down the stairs and out the door without disturbing anyone, or the dog. (The boy down the street was familiar with both the house and dog.) Ann Rule was the first to claim Ted killed Ann Marie Burr, just as she claimed he killed Kathy Devine, a 14-year-old girl hitchhiking from Seattle to Oregon in November 1973. As everyone knows, in 2002, DNA testing proved Devine was killed by William E. Cosden Jr., who by that time was serving time in prison on a rape conviction. Both Ann Rule and Bob Keppel blamed Bundy for just about every unsolved murder of a girl or woman in the Pacific Northwest, Utah, Colorado, etc. and even for some murders that occurred on the East Coast.

She was abducted the night of August 31 (not August 13), 1961, i.e., on Thursday night just before Labor Day weekend.

We rode our bikes 3 - 4 miles all the time to see and meet friends in the middle of the night after we snuck out at night ...... many times it was pouring rain at the time. That was no big deal to us ...

Most credible sources I've seen .... all say Bundy knew her fairly well.

What really worries me in this case, is that a caring 8 year old carries her three year old sister with a broken arm and who is crying in pain, to her parent's bedroom, because she thinks that the parents will do something to ease the pain, and they are ordered to go to back to bed. What parent leaves an 8 year old in charge of a 3 year old in pain?

We rode our bikes 3 - 4 miles all the time to see and meet friends in the middle of the night after we snuck out at night ...... many times it was pouring rain at the time. That was no big deal to us ...

Most credible sources I've seen .... all say Bundy knew her fairly well.

And did you carry an 8 year old child aswell?

I had friends ride on the handle bars at times ...... and there were older then 8 yrs old. He could have also hide the bike somewhere and walked her to some place. There are many options.... what in the world make you think he took her on his bike ..... but if you ask, he could have ... quite possible. I was referring to the idiocy to suggest he could /woud not ride a bike 3-4 miles at night. .... were you "shut -ins" all the time ? My God, I had one girl friend from church I rode 6 miles to her house there and 6 back to go see. I had no one to take me to baseball practices or games, and rode 5 miles to those thru very busy traffic .... plus played the game or thru the practice. .

Some of this information is incorrect. First, there was more than just “rainy weather” that night; there was a terrible storm and the rain was torrential. Second, Ted Bundy lived three miles from the Burr house, not just blocks away. Third, while Ted was, indeed, a paperboy at the time Ann Marie disappeared, the Burrs weren't, and never had been, on his route. Fourth, Bundy was never the prime suspect in the case: both the police and the girl's parents suspected a 17-year-old neighbor who also lived on North 14th Street, just three houses away from the Burrs. The fact is, there is no way a skinny 14-year-old boy could have ridden his bike three miles on such a night and sneaked into a house with which he was unfamiliar and where there was a dog in the basement that night because of the storm. Once inside the house, he would have had to make his way upstairs and into Ann Marie's room – though he had no idea which room was hers – and carry the overweight child down the stairs and out the door without disturbing anyone, or the dog. (The boy down the street was familiar with both the house and dog.) Ann Rule was the first to claim Ted killed Ann Marie Burr, just as she claimed he killed Kathy Devine, a 14-year-old girl hitchhiking from Seattle to Oregon in November 1973. As everyone knows, in 2002, DNA testing proved Devine was killed by William E. Cosden Jr., who by that time was serving time in prison on a rape conviction. Both Ann Rule and Bob Keppel blamed Bundy for just about every unsolved murder of a girl or woman in the Pacific Northwest, Utah, Colorado, etc. and even for some murders that occurred on the East Coast.
I don't think Bundy killed Ann Marie Burr either. I think that 17-year-old did it.

I don't think Bundy killed Ann Marie Burr either. I think that 17-year-old did it.
Was that suspect interrogated? Did these guy know the Burr´s house outside and inside?
It seems an interesting suspect to me. If he visited frequently the Burr´s house maybe the dog knew him and that is why it didn´t bark when Ann Marie was kidnapped.

The information on the internet regarding Ann Marie Burr's weight is incorrect. She weighed around 65-70 pounds, or more. A 4'2" girl who weighed no more than 35 pounds would be emaciated and Ann Marie wasn't skinny.

Ted Bundy lived three miles from Ann Marie Burr's home and didn't know her at all. The Burrs weren't on his paper route and his uncle did not live in their neighborhood. On the night the child disappeared, it wasn't just "raining," it was storming and raining so hard people driving cars had to pull off the road, so there's no way a 14-year-old boy could have made a six-mile roundtrip on a bicycle.

Beverly Burr never suspected Ted until Ann Rule wrote her book in which she blamed him for just about every murder in the Pacific Northwest. The Burrs always suspected a teenage boy who lived on their street and so did the police.

Here are some extracts from detective JT Townsend´s conversations with Beverly Burr (Ann Marie´s mother):
1. She does not believe Ted Bundy kidnapped and murdered her daughter.
2. Ann Marie did not take piano lessons next tore to Ted’s Uncle.
3. She does not recall seeing Ted Bundy delivering their paper.
4. She likes the same suspect that investingating officer Tony Zatkovich liked in 1961: a 17 year old neighbor boy who lived three doors away.
5. She described the family as “very religious” and their teenage son as “strange” but with an “unusual interest” in Ann Marie.
6. She admitted to me (with embarrassment) that 3 days after Ann went missing, she went to their house on some pretext. Finding them not home and the door open, she went through their first floor looking for any sign of Ann Marie, specifically her cross pendant received a month earlier at her first communion. She became frightened and left without searching the 2nd floor or finding any trace of her daughter.
7. This suspect was eventually questioned and given a polygraph (results inconclusive) before the family’s lawyer pressured the cops to charge him or release him.
8. She says the suspect is still alive (age 63) and still living in Tacoma.
9. She keeps tabs on him – says he has been completely estranged from his family for more than 40 years.
10. She told me she sees Louise Bundy in the grocery store from time to time. Ted’s mother knows who Beverly is but avoids her and does not speak.

Ted Bundy was one year younger than Joseph DeAngelo. In 1961 Ted would have been 14 and DeAngelo would have been 15. In May 1961, a 4 year old girl was kidnapped out of her bed by a hooded prowler in Sacramento. I believe this was the the East Area Rapist/Original Night Stalker. It's interesting to see similar activity that may the work of teenage Bundy & DeAngelo.
“The Chosen One”

The investigation into the 1961 murder of an 8-year-old girl has led some to ask that question. Bundy and the victim, Ann Marie Burr, grew up just a few miles apart in Tacoma.

Now a podcast is exploring the connection between Bundy and Burr's murder. "True Crime Chronicles," a podcast by VAULT Studios, will release an episode Monday that takes a look back at the cold case with true crime author Rebecca Morris and KING 5 Senior Producer Tess Wagner.

Is Ted Bundy linked to a 60-year-old disappearance? A podcast looks back

Anne Marie Burr
Missing since August 13, 1961 from Tacoma, Pierce County, Washington
Classification: Endangered Missing

Vital Statistics
Age at Time of Disappearance: 8 years old
Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 4'2"; 35 lbs.
Distinguishing Characteristics: White female. Blonde hair; hazel eyes. Red marks on her left hand.
Clothing: Blue flowered nightgown.
Jewlery: A religious medal with engraved images of Jesus Christ and the Virgin Mary.
Dentals: Available

Circumstances of Disappearance
Burr was last seen in her home in Tacoma, Washington on the night of August 13, 1962.

She shared her bedroom with her three-year-old sister, who had a broken arm at the time. In the middle of the night, Burr brought her sister to their parents' room because she was crying. Their parents told them to go back to bed.

Burr's mother got up at 5:30 a.m. The front door had been locked and chained the evening before, but Burr's mother found it open. A small living room window which had been closed the night before was also open, and a bench underneath the window had been overturned. Footprints were found outside the house, but they had been distorted by rainy weather and no one could tell if they were from a man, a woman or a child. There was no sign of Burr anywhere and no sign of a struggle in her bedroom. Her two brothers, who slept in the basement, and her sister had not been disturbed, and the family dog had not barked.

Burr's disappearance was treated as an abduction from the beginning. Authorities theorized that she was possibly taken by someone she knew. They investigated convicted sex offenders living in the neighborhood, but could link no one to her disappearance. The case grew cold and remained so until the serial killer Theodore Robert "Ted" Bundy came into the spotlight in the 1970s.

He was convicted of several murders and is suspected in scores more, including in the disappearances of:
Georgeann Hawkins,
Debra Kent,
Donna Manson,
Denise Oliverson, and
Nancy Wilcox.

He was executed in Florida in 1989. Bundy lived only blocks from Burr's home at the time of her disappearance, and he knew her. Burr's relatives say he and the child were friendly with each other and he could have convinced her to leave her home with him. He was only 14 years old when she disappeared and was not suspected until the other killings came to light over fifteen years later.

It is worth noting that Bundy confessed to many murders he had not been charged with, but always denied involvement in Burr's presumed abduction. Nonetheless, many people believe she was his first victim. Burr was about to begin the third grade at school when she vanished. She is described as an intelligent but shy child.

Investigators
If you have any information concerning this case, please contact:
Tacoma Police Department 253-798-4721

Source Information:
The Charley Project
NewspaperArchive
The Crime Library
CyberSleuths
Crime Web
The Stranger Beside Me by Ann Rule
The Doe Network: Case File 1670DFWA

LINK: