NC Wadesboro, Wht Fem, UP114419, 20-40, May 2022 (seen when alive)

Another recent article, this time with a retouched picture. Here it is.
I hadn’t realized the clothes found with the Wadesboro Doe’s remains weren’t necessarily the same as the clothing on the woman in the photo:
The only confirmed evidence found was a bra, black in color, and material that may be consistent with a pair of leggings.

Though I’m not necessarily trusting of this article…
Eager to allay public concerns, Detective Tice confirms the “Department is not waiting on confirmation the remains are Amber [Rae Johnston]. We are pursuing leads in Winston Salem.”
How does that allay public concerns?
Detective Tice confirms that Johnston has not been ruled out and the department is working in conjunction with investigators from Arizona, as well as other relevant jurisdictions.
If she hasn’t been ruled out, why aren’t they attempting to and thus waiting on confirmation? And why did the detective on Amber’s case say “DNA takes time”?

If she hasn’t been ruled out, why aren’t they attempting to and thus waiting on confirmation? And why did the detective on Amber’s case say “DNA takes time”?

At a guess, probably because the remains are old enough that specialized techniques for recovering DNA are required. I've read that most of the labs doing that work are backed up due to heavy demand.

Is North Carolina one of the states that requires all lab work to be done through the state laboratories?

At a guess, probably because the remains are old enough that specialized techniques for recovering DNA are required. I've read that most of the labs doing that work are backed up due to heavy demand.

Is North Carolina one of the states that requires all lab work to be done through the state laboratories?
This still doesn’t make sense to me.

If the problem was DNA extraction, why wouldn’t the detective clarify that there is currently nothing to match Amber to? If the problem was a backlog, why would the detective say that they aren’t waiting on anything?

The detective’s statements just make no sense to me, though I’m not sure if that is because of the detective or because of the article author.

This still doesn’t make sense to me.

If the problem was DNA extraction, why wouldn’t the detective clarify that there is currently nothing to match Amber to? If the problem was a backlog, why would the detective say that they aren’t waiting on anything?

The detective’s statements just make no sense to me, though I’m not sure if that is because of the detective or because of the article author.

I mean, yes, nothing that detective says is clear, and the reporter didn't do anything to improve it, so I wouldn't read too much into what might or might not have been said. Plus they haven't been all that forthcoming at any point, so they aren't likely to start now, unfortunately.

I thought that the "not waiting on anything" quote meant that they weren't waiting until the DNA results came in to start the investigation, they were investigating anyway. Which would be a good thing.

Othram has done some cases that were more recent, even Does found in 2023. So it's not too early, but I think they'll want to exhaust other avenues first like traditional DNA comparison and public appeal.
Forensic genetic genealogy should be used as soon as they know there is no match in CODIS, which is nearly always the case for UHRs. Waiting just delays answers (and sometimes justice) for the families.

When I zoom in to the area that looks like a clearing, near culpepper creek, I see what I see to possibly be a deer feeding stand?
There might be a couple a others a little passed the creek?

Attachments

• 1000007960.png
    1000007960.png
    563.6 KB · Views: 6
  • Screenshot_20240513-224105.jpg
    Screenshot_20240513-224105.jpg
    136.7 KB · Views: 6
I always assumed the structure this Doe was seen walking past on camera was a deer feeding trough.

There are many reasons people feed deer, but one of the primary reasons is so they can monitor the local population and keep track of what bucks (male deer) are where. Game wardens and hunters do this. My grandpa was a hunter a long time ago but still kept feeding the deer on his property because he liked seeing them. He had a feeder very similar to the one seen on the trail cam.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SouthernVintageMama
Back