When was the moment you realised Covid was serious?

The day that Disneyland announced it's shutdown. Even when school shut down, it didn't scare me as much as Disney closing. Living very close by, it was strange to not hear/see fireworks, or the train whistle. I did not miss the heavy traffic in and out of Disneyland, or throughout So. Cal. I never imagined how long it would last.

Italy devastated me. It’s my favourite Euro nation by a mile, and seeing them locked in their homes making videos to warn the rest of us was definitely a defining moment. Oh and the wonderful singing on balconies, who can forget that.

I also recall getting annoyed with the school mum who kept saying “this could go on for years” like the harbinger of doom, as I continued planning end-of-year school events. I have since apologised!
thanks.

The question is When was the moment you realized covid was serious?

The moment I thought it was serious was when I saw video of the Chinese government welding shut doors on apartment buildings sealing people inside.
I continued to be scared as I saw on t.v. Chinese people laying dead in the streets allegedly from covid. Terrified, I did like everyone else in the world, I stood in line at walmart at 6 a.m. to get toilet paper. *After two weeks I stopped being afraid and even stopped wearing a mask. I've never had covid (that I know of) as I hear you can have it but not feel sick. I spend a lot of time outdoors enjoying the weather. Oh, and I finally got that tooth fixed!

* During the end of March 2020 I had a broken tooth and was in pain. I couldn't get my tooth fixed because all of the dentists were forced to close for weeks (non essential) but I could still buy a bottle of tequila as liquor stores were never required to close. Not one day did they have to close. So, I couldn't get my tooth fixed or even go to Church but I could get liquor? My broken painful tooth wasn't essential nor was my faith. That's when the seriousness was over for me. Maskless since April 2020.

Thanks for starting this thread! I love to read other's opinions and experiences.

WHO decides what's misinformation and what is not???
Is an opinion or an experience misinformation
if others just don't like the opinion or
the experience???

Day 1, as soon as I saw @Amonet ‘s thread

The number of people already infected by the mystery virus emerging in China is far greater than official figures suggest, scientists have told the BBC.
There have been 41 laboratory-confirmed cases of the new virus, but UK experts estimate the figure is closer to 1,700.

New virus in China ‘will have infected hundreds'
Up to 4,500 patients in China may have caught the same strain of coronavirus that has killed two people, scientists fear.
Health officials in Wuhan – the city at the heart of the outbreak which started in December – confirmed four new cases today, taking the total to 48.
But Imperial College London researchers say this may be the 'tip of the iceberg' after analysing flights out of the city.

PS- Did I think “THIS” was going to happen? Of course not, I never could have imagined or ever fathomed this in my wildest dreams (or nightmares).

Last edited:
When myself and my family got it and we all walked it off in three days, I realised wasn't serious at all.

We have a mix of vaccination statuses (I'm vaccinated, my wife is not) and we noticed no difference in symptom severity or duration. Go figure.

MOO, I am not a medical professional so don't let my experiences sway you.

One moment the virus was far away in Wuhan, China, and the next it hit a small provincial town in the West of Germany near the border.

This also happened to be the town where I do most of my shopping.

No one knew how the virus got there. Patients zero were a medical doctor, and his wife who worked in child care. They had no ties or connections to China. They had been to a feast (Carnival) but no one there had ties to China either.

Yet the virus was there and it started to spread quickly.

I had been aware that COVID was a serious virus, but its sudden appearance creeped me out.

When I wrote this in August of last year, my BF had been ill with COVID since the day befor Christmas 2020.
As of today, he still is ill with COVID.

He has been in isolation for 20 months now. The virus has mutated twice in his body, and he is extremely dangerous for others because no one has antibodies for these mutations, they are new and unique. He has been vaccinated, the vaccinations stopped the repeated outbursts of the virus at last. He now takes part in a pilot project for new medicines.

I have only seen him from afar, waving behind a window. I know I dodged a bullet, because we had planned to spend Christmas together, and he called it off.

I've been fully vaccinated and will be getting a booster soon. I still stay away from crowds. The virus can hide in someone's body and stay dormant for a long time, that does not mean it isn't there and infection can still spread.

When I wrote this in August of last year, my BF had been ill with COVID since the day befor Christmas 2020.

He has been in isolation for 20 months now. The virus has mutated twice in his body, and he is extremely dangerous for others because no one has antibodies for these mutations, they are new and unique. He has been vaccinated, the vaccinations stopped the repeated outbursts of the virus at last. He now takes part in a pilot project for new medicines.

I have only seen him from afar, waving behind a window. I know I dodged a bullet, because we had planned to spend Christmas together, and he called it off.

I've been fully vaccinated and will be getting a booster soon. I still stay away from crowds. The virus can hide in someone's body and stay dormant for a long time, that does not mean it isn't there and infection can still spread.
What?!? That's horrific. Poor guy.

What a terrible experience for him! And sad for you as well. I hope being involved in the pilot project benefits him.

An article that addresses the issue of how long the coronavirus lingers in the body.
There is so much we don't know about this virus and information keeps changing all the time
but I thought it was still an interesting read.
Your link didn't work for me so I Googled and found this link:

I'm still waiting. I've had it twice. It was less than a cold. No one I know has died from it or had lasting aftereffects from it. I'm not vaccinated against it and never will be. I've never bought sanitizer or been tested. I only wear a mask when asked to. The only bad symptom I had was the pain from coughing. I just treated it with cold medicine.

A friend of mine also had it twice. Last week someone convinced him to get vaccinated. The reaction from the vaccine kept him in bed for three days.

I believe the worst is yet to come and most people aren't seeing it and don't want to know.

Long Covid is real and has virologists and epidemiologists very concerned. Follow Eric Feigl-Dean on Twitter for starters.
I always wear masks in public for myself and all the others around me. Viral load is the key.

Long Covid is real and has virologists and epidemiologists very concerned. Follow Eric Feigl-Dean on Twitter for starters.
I always wear masks in public for myself and all the others around me. Viral load is the key.
Is it an N95? If not, you probably shouldn't bother. There have been plenty of studies to show paper and cloth masks are ineffective.

If you're really concerned, grab some N95s. They aren't expensive.

Last edited:
<modsnip - quoted post was removed>
It is not as serious as it was in the beginning when hospitals were inundated with dying patients and research was in its infancy. We are much better armed now with knowledge, vaccines/boosters, and masks. However, even with all the medical advances, scientists are concerned. Long covid somehow triggers activity, formerly dormant, in the central nervous system and elsewhere. Chances of triggering long covid are increased with each infection. It is very serious.

Last edited by a moderator:
My agency held our annual statewide conference the first week of March, 2020. Warm spring days, between sessions we talked about the news from China, Spain, Italy.

March 23 we were suddenly all assigned to Remote & all offices were closed, no public contact, at 3:15 PM.

My office was actually making a scheduled move to another building -- this gave me plenty of time to sort, clean, throw out, and pack with no one in the office in either building. No one to complain about the music, or where I put things. The best way to move offices, believe me, minus the disease itself.

Back to that conference. This evening, I returned from my agency's annual conference, now back to in-person sessions in a typical conference hotel.

Glad to be back with my regional & state teams!:D

And glad to be back home to hang out with my e-cquaintances here on WS!!!

jmho ymmv lrr

I am very concerned about long covid and wear 3M aurora N95 masks.
I have some N95 masks but prefer my KN95s because they are more comfortable. If the ear elastics are too loose, I make a knot in them. So far no Covid and I still don't want to get it mainly because of the risk of getting long Covid, even though I'm fully vaccinated and double boosted. Will get the latest booster pretty soon (I'm elderly).

I have some N95 masks but prefer my KN95s because they are more comfortable. If the ear elastics are too loose, I make a knot in them. So far no Covid and I still don't want to get it mainly because of the risk of getting long Covid, even though I'm fully vaccinated and double boosted. Will get the latest booster pretty soon (I'm elderly).
Fit and comfort are important. I like the 3M masks the most because of the fit around the nose and under my eyes (it's a strip of foam). Getting the new booster Tues.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zootopian2
Back