Question and Answer thread

On trial day 5, when Martinez was showing receipts, I found something strange. Jodi made a purchase at Starbucks on June 3, 8:41 PM, then at Arco on 8:42 PM. How is that possible? Why didn't Martinez point this out? He did not want to involve another person with Jodi that night?

That's a great catch. I missed that. I think her best buddy, can't remember his name right now, was involved with this. The car rental guy says somebody drove her to pick up the car and stood around for awhile while she got the car.

I also think this person may have helped by being outside the house to take evidence and dispose it for her. Martinez may have seen that as confusing for the jury and might lead to probable cause.

On trial day 5, when Martinez was showing receipts, I found something strange. Jodi made a purchase at Starbucks on June 3, 8:41 PM, then at Arco on 8:42 PM. How is that possible? Why didn't Martinez point this out? He did not want to involve another person with Jodi that night?

Nice to have you here on the case, pocketaccent! :)

Good question, wish I had a good answer. CVS 8:31 p.m., Starbucks 8:41 p.m., Arco 8:42 p.m., 8:46 p.m. and the third for 2.77 gal. that I can't find the time for. All bunched up, was it a strip center with everything right next to each other?

I thought she got hair color at walmart?

WalMart was the gas can, facial cleansers and sunscreen, I believe. While loking for the recipts I found some texts I have copies of in my pic file, I'll upload them on the other thread for your text timeline, WM.

WalMart was the gas can, facial cleansers and sunscreen, I believe. While loking for the recipts I found some texts I have copies of in my pic file, I'll upload them on the other thread for your text timeline, WM.

I just had happened to be watching Dr. Drew Sky Hughes episode when I saw this question about hair color. On that episode that he just got done talking about hair color, and had circled it on her Walmart receipt. I took for granted that they were correct.

They showed footage from when Juan questioned the really tall police officer about the picture of Jodi's dark hair and then the walmart receipt came up. It says the stuff that's 007050157285 for $9.92 is the hair dye. Looks like the name of it is NEUUS85BNS, but the receipt is blurry, so I may not have it correct.

[video=youtube;X36lObDdBUU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X36lObDdBUU[/video]

at the 20:55 time mark. But what doesn't make sense is the walmart receipt comes AFTER the picture she took of herself. Maybe HLN has it wrong.

I just had happened to be watching Dr. Drew Sky Hughes episode when I saw this question about hair color. On that episode that he just got done talking about hair color, and had circled it on her Walmart receipt. I took for granted that they were correct.

They showed footage from when Juan questioned the really tall police officer about the picture of Jodi's dark hair and then the walmart receipt came up. It says the stuff that's 007050157285 for $9.92 is the hair dye. Looks like the name of it is NEUUS85BNS, but the receipt is blurry, so I may not have it correct.

Sky Hughes on Dr Drew 04-30-13 talks about emails and more - YouTube

at the 20:55 time mark. But what doesn't make sense is the walmart receipt comes AFTER the picture she took of herself. Maybe HLN has it wrong.

Here's the receipt, the Neu is the sunscreen.

Attachments

• walmartreceipt.jpg
    walmartreceipt.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 9
Yeah, she had her hair done in the salon, no idea if she had her nails done as she stated but in the selfies she took her hair is clearly darker and freshly done.

Here's the receipt, the Neu is the sunscreen.

Yeah, I remember us discussing that before. I just don't understand why HLN thinks it's hair color. It really doesn't make sense that it would be hair color if her hair was done before she bought it.

But I do wonder why JM asks the police officer if the picture was before the walmart or after walmart. What was JM getting at?

That's a great catch. I missed that. I think her best buddy, can't remember his name right now, was involved with this. The car rental guy says somebody drove her to pick up the car and stood around for awhile while she got the car.

I also think this person may have helped by being outside the house to take evidence and dispose it for her. Martinez may have seen that as confusing for the jury and might lead to probable cause.

She may have had 2 cards from Washington Mutual, one for personal, one for business account. And all charges goes through one statement as xxx2015. I also can't help but feel that matt was with her that night. He was filling up gas while Jodi was purchasing frappucino, or vice versa.

Jodi has something on Matt. Looking at the coded message in the magazine, she doesn't ask but orders him to see her asap. We know that Matt does not testify. Did he make a deal with the State? He doesn't testify and he doesn't get charged with accessory to murder?

I know some people may say that Jodi would have thrown Matt under the bus the first chance she had. But she couldn't. Because if she had involved Matt, there goes her self defense right out the window.

She may have had 2 cards from Washington Mutual, one for personal, one for business account. And all charges goes through one statement as xxx2015. I also can't help but feel that matt was with her that night. He was filling up gas while Jodi was purchasing frappucino, or vice versa.

Jodi has something on Matt. Looking at the coded message in the magazine, she doesn't ask but orders him to see her asap. We know that Matt does not testify. Did he make a deal with the State? He doesn't testify and he doesn't get charged with accessory to murder?

I know some people may say that Jodi would have thrown Matt under the bus the first chance she had. But she couldn't. Because if she had involved Matt, there goes her self defense right out the window.

BBM

I don't think it was a spoken deal, but I think it was obvious to anyone giving him legal advice. He was probably told that if he testified on her behalf the prosecution could start asking questions that would tie him to the case. Also, if he lied for her like he supposedly has, he'd be open to perjury charges.

If Martinez had enough to charge him as an accessory he probably would. He must not, and if Matt took the stand he might end up with enough. JMO

I don't follow about the two credit cards for two accounts but with the same digits.

8:31pm CVS, 3883 E. Foothill BLVD.

.3 miles to starbucks

8:41pm Starbucks 3699 E Foothill Blvd

.2 miles to the arco

842pm Arco, 3706 E. Foothill BLVD.

https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=...ln2-ClJZlO-fdvCgDF6pRRvmXPApw&t=h&mra=ls&z=19

Look at the street view. You can see where she claims to have parked which I think is facing the main road.

This is an issue, I have to say. She was definitely at arco second because of the subsequent 846pm receipt. I have to investigate what she bought from Starbucks because they take the money "upfront" as JM said about priceline. Then Starbucks makes your drink. this might be an interesting sleuth for me.

I don't follow about the two credit cards for two accounts but with the same digits.

8:31pm CVS, 3883 E. Foothill BLVD.

.3 miles to starbucks

8:41pm Starbucks 3699 E Foothill Blvd

.2 miles to the arco

842pm Arco, 3706 E. Foothill BLVD.

https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=...ln2-ClJZlO-fdvCgDF6pRRvmXPApw&t=h&mra=ls&z=19

Look at the street view. You can see where she claims to have parked which I think is facing the main road.

This is an issue, I have to say. She was definitely at arco second because of the subsequent 846pm receipt. I have to investigate what she bought from Starbucks because they take the money "upfront" as JM said about priceline. Then Starbucks makes your drink. this might be an interesting sleuth for me.

It seems like you're on the right track for sure.

Getting back to Matt. Didn't JM make mention of Matt being willing to lie for her while she was on the stand?

Yes, he did, and I was very confused about her statement when she arrived in Santa Cruz. I have to look it up to recall exactly, but she'd begun to use "we" at that part of the testimony. I think it got explained away, but it was still interesting.

I can't tell from what she bought at Starbucks if anything had to be made. I see a slice of cheese case, a scon, and egg salad sandwich, and I don't know what the drink is. "TL Syrp Crmfr."

I just read somewhere that Jodi probably bought two sun screens and two facial cleansers because she needed sizes small enough to take through the airport security to go to Cancun.

If her plan was a "cancun or die" mission, Matt doesn't fit into that equation. I don't know what would make Matt go in on this plan. The abusive story wasn't even formulated yet.

Yes, he did, and I was very confused about her statement when she arrived in Santa Cruz. I have to look it up to recall exactly, but she'd begun to use "we" at that part of the testimony. I think it got explained away, but it was still interesting.

I can't tell from what she bought at Starbucks if anything had to be made. I see a slice of cheese case, a scon, and egg salad sandwich, and I don't know what the drink is. "TL Syrp Crmfr."

I just read somewhere that Jodi probably bought two sun screens and two facial cleansers because she needed sizes small enough to take through the airport security to go to Cancun.

If her plan was a "cancun or die" mission, Matt doesn't fit into that equation. I don't know what would make Matt go in on this plan. The abusive story wasn't even formulated yet.

BBM

I seriously doubt that whatever Matt was told was anywhere close to the truth of why she needed him. JMO

I think Matt didn't testify at trial because JM threatened him at a pretrial hearing with perjury 'as soon as your feet hit the floor' from what was reported.

I thought the two cleansers and sunscreens were a special price 'buy two, get each for whatever', someone here came up with that and it made more sense to me than her getting them for Cancun, which she knew wasn't going to happen, those tickets couldn't have been changed.

But sunscreen to keep from getting burned/overly tanned in the desert, and cleanser to clean away whatever mess you think you'll have on yourself makes plenty good sense with her plan. Esp. if she knew she'd have to dig in the desert (in June) to bury stuff, like weapons/bloody clothing.

I think HLN was just sloppy and didn't have anyone check the UPC to see that the NEU was Neutrogena and as far as I know, they don't make hair color that I've ever seen sold in stores under that brand.

I think Matt didn't testify at trial because JM threatened him at a pretrial hearing with perjury 'as soon as your feet hit the floor' from what was reported.

I thought the two cleansers and sunscreens were a special price 'buy two, get each for whatever', someone here came up with that and it made more sense to me than her getting them for Cancun, which she knew wasn't going to happen, those tickets couldn't have been changed.

But sunscreen to keep from getting burned/overly tanned in the desert, and cleanser to clean away whatever mess you think you'll have on yourself makes plenty good sense with her plan. Esp. if she knew she'd have to dig in the desert (in June) to bury stuff, like weapons/bloody clothing.

I think HLN was just sloppy and didn't have anyone check the UPC to see that the NEU was Neutrogena and as far as I know, they don't make hair color that I've ever seen sold in stores under that brand.

Thanks, that clears a lot up. I love the part about charging him with perjury as soon as his feet hit the floor. :giggle:

Yeah, that was Juan all over the place. lol

2 more questions I have are:
1. Why was Jodi in Pasadena on June 3?
The city of Pasadena is definitely related to Gus Searcy. When he testified (day 10), he gave her the Helio phone back in April 2008 in Pasadena where his kids go to school.
Jodi testified she was there to take photos of Brewers niece's but I don't believe her. If she was there to meet up with Gus, why did she lie?

2. Who gave her $800 deposits made in Monterey? She makes $400 to one account (ending balance $548.65). Then $300 + $100 to an overdrawn account (ending balance $340.43). Using my math skill, she had $89.08 between her two accounts before the deposits. Jodi testified that she was to meet up with Gus in San Jose on June 2 but the plan got cancelled. She volunteered this info without Martinez asking for it. I wonder why. Maybe she was trying to convey to Martinez "Gus didn't give me the money. The meeting got cancelled."

2 more questions I have are:
1. Why was Jodi in Pasadena on June 3?
The city of Pasadena is definitely related to Gus Searcy. When he testified (day 10), he gave her the Helio phone back in April 2008 in Pasadena where his kids go to school.
Jodi testified she was there to take photos of Brewers niece's but I don't believe her. If she was there to meet up with Gus, why did she lie?

2. Who gave her $800 deposits made in Monterey? She makes $400 to one account (ending balance $548.65). Then $300 + $100 to an overdrawn account (ending balance $340.43). Using my math skill, she had $89.08 between her two accounts before the deposits. Jodi testified that she was to meet up with Gus in San Jose on June 2 but the plan got cancelled. She volunteered this info without Martinez asking for it. I wonder why. Maybe she was trying to convey to Martinez "Gus didn't give me the money. The meeting got cancelled."

If I recall correctly, on the 2nd when she met up with Matt and Paul Stern in Monterrey PS loaned her some money, they went out for drinks and appetizers per her, I think he did an interview on HLN or other show, don't recall if he testified. I bet she also got money from Matt (but he never testified or did interviews lol).

The only reason I can think of for Pasadena (never bought the story of taking pics of Laura's baby) is to get on the road to Mesa but there's some missing time from when she said Jack (D's son) left for school and she left, then returned to give Darryl the remote that was accidentally left in her car. But I believe she said she got back there or left again around 10:30, how far could she have driven before she had to turn around to return the remote? Speculation also is Darryl bought the stolen DVD player from her and that's where the remote came into the picture, so another possible means of cash for her.

There's a thread here with lots of info on bank statements and receipts, and TigerBalm has a PB album with pics of all or most receipts and such:

Arias Trial; Compare the receipts and the monetary transactions - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

Paul Stern is the guy who appeared on HLN and said that he lent CMJA money.

I did not believe this guy. His name only popped up during the trial. He claimed that she paid him back the money and this just does not ring true. I just don't see her mailing him a check and time-wise, it would have been very difficult for her to drive to Monterey to repay him, especially with her finances.

If I recall correctly, on the 2nd when she met up with Matt and Paul Stern in Monterrey PS loaned her some money, they went out for drinks and appetizers per her, I think he did an interview on HLN or other show, don't recall if he testified. I bet she also got money from Matt (but he never testified or did interviews lol).

The only reason I can think of for Pasadena (never bought the story of taking pics of Laura's baby) is to get on the road to Mesa but there's some missing time from when she said Jack (D's son) left for school and she left, then returned to give Darryl the remote that was accidentally left in her car. But I believe she said she got back there or left again around 10:30, how far could she have driven before she had to turn around to return the remote? Speculation also is Darryl bought the stolen DVD player from her and that's where the remote came into the picture, so another possible means of cash for her.

There's a thread here with lots of info on bank statements and receipts, and TigerBalm has a PB album with pics of all or most receipts and such:

Arias Trial; Compare the receipts and the monetary transactions - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

Thank you Geevee. You resolved some questions I had. $ from Paul Stern makes sense for now. Also for now I think Jody and Gus met up in Pasadena.

I watched the trial live from March 2013 to end, then I rewatched all on youtube recently. I almost got PTSD from the defense presentation but I got through it. I may have to watch some again since I fast forwarded some of Jodi's conversation with Nurmi, to keep me from going insane.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
catheonlineghost
Back