CT - Michael Skakel & the murder of Martha Moxley, Greenwich, 1975 *Not Guilty*

One of the men being accused by Kennedy spoke out last month.

http://www.amny.com/opinion/columnists/leonard-levitt/charges-still-fly-in-75-murder-1.12304759

In his new book, “Framed,” Kennedy maintains that Hasbrouck and a friend, Burton Tinsley, are Martha’s killers, not Skakel.

Hasbrouck grew up in the South Bronx in the 1970s. “My mother taught me character, integrity. That’s how I have conducted my life,” says Hasbrouck, who served in the Army. Now 56, he has been married for 20 years and lives in Bridgeport, Connecticut. For the past 15 years, he has worked as a network operations supervisor at ABC in Manhattan.

“Then in 2003 along comes a telephone call from Bobby Kennedy,” he said. “Do I know Martha Moxley? I tell him I never met her. He asks, do I know Tony Bryant? Yes, I say, I knew Tony Bryant. He asked for Burt Tinsley’s telephone number and asked if it was possible that we talk again. I thought nothing of it. I had no indication of his plan to use me as a scapegoat in his cousin’s defense.”

http://www.thehour.com/local/article/Appeals-attorney-defends-Skakel-release-10591881.php

In front of a packed house, an attorney working for Michael Skakel offered his reasoning why he thinks a judge’s decision to free the man accused of murdering a local teen-ager in 1975 won’t be overturned and why he believes Skakel is innocent.

Michael Fitzpatrick, who assisted in the legal strategy that freed Skakel, did not make any guarantees or definitive predictions, but suggested why the court in Hartford might not overturn Bishop’s ruling that Skakel did not get a fair trial. He noted Bishop’s extensive legal training in the field, as well as the respect he commands in legal circles.

“Looking at prior decisions, I don’t believe we can necessarily tell which way the court will rule,” the lawyer said. “But it’s my belief that when a decision is written by a judge (Bishop) who’s considered a leading authority .... a decision he believes is supported by the facts and the law ... that decision will be respected by the Supreme Court. Given the stature of the judge that decided this case, there’s a high probability that the court will uphold the decision.”

Fitzpatrick was asked why the Supreme Court’s decision was taking so much time. Fitzpatrick noted that the state court was typically under-staffed, adding clerical delays to the process. In addition, briefs are being submitted in the case that are 300 pages in length, and the Supreme Court had a number of other complicated, serious criminal matters to consider this year that pushed the Skakel case down the list.

A divided state Supreme Court Friday reinstated the murder conviction of Kennedy cousin Michael Skakel, rejecting a Superior Court judge's finding that Skakel's trial was tainted by ineffective lawyering and setting the stage for Skakel's return to prison after three years of freedom.

"Because we conclude that the petitioner's trial counsel rendered constitutionally adequate representation, we reverse the judgment" of the lower court, a 4-3 majority of the Supreme Court wrote in a decision released Friday afternoon.
http://www.courant.com/news/connecticut/hc-michael-skakel-supreme-court-appeal-20161229-story.html

Originally Posted by PastTense

A divided state Supreme Court Friday reinstated the murder conviction of Kennedy cousin Michael Skakel, rejecting a Superior Court judge's finding that Skakel's trial was tainted by ineffective lawyering and setting the stage for Skakel's return to prison after three years of freedom.

"Because we conclude that the petitioner's trial counsel rendered constitutionally adequate representation, we reverse the judgment" of the lower court, a 4-3 majority of the Supreme Court wrote in a decision released Friday afternoon.

:happydance:

Four is a Majority!

:loveyou: :loveyou: :loveyou: :loveyou:​

Wow, surprised to hear this. I could never be sure if he or his brother committed Martha's murder. I believe one of them did.

The Kennedy cousin who constantly speaks out for Michael Skakel, Robert F. Kennedy Jr, is so annoying. Yeah, we get it, he wants his cousin free, but dial it back a notch, dude. It's like they forget there is a victim in all of this, a young girl was brutally murdered.

Skakel lawyers say there may be new evidence in Moxley murder case

http://www.greenwichtime.com/local/article/Skakel-lawyers-say-there-may-be-new-evidence-in-11072119.php

Lawyers for Michael Skakel are coming forward with what they say may be a new piece of evidence that could have an effect on resolution of the long-running case: a golf club handle, purportedly found 7 miles away from the place where Moxley, 15, was found dead.

The golf club handle was reportedly found at the residence of the Terrien family, where Michael Skakel and other young people were watching television on the night Moxley, a Greenwich High School sophomore, was killed. Skakel was watching a Monty Python movie with his cousin, James Terrien, that night.

Defense lawyer Stephan Seeger said he had been contacted late last year by a local attorney who had heard about the existence of the golf club handle. The attorney provided the names of three people who had come across the handle, which was purportedly turned over to Greenwich police in 1999, the year the investigation into Moxley’s death was re-instituted.

“They had formed the opinion that it had something to do with the murder. That’s why they brought it there (to police). They thought it was connected to the murder,” Seeger said.

It was unclear why the golf club handle at the Terrien estate was viewed as being linked to the crime. Seeger is seeking to depose two people who had information about the handle: Philip Drake, now 91, a Terrien family lawyer, and the daughter of the Terrien’s property manager, Barbara Roome Waleski, 57, of Lancaster, Pa. The property manager, Peter Roome, died late last month at the age of 91.

Seeger said Roome and his daughter went to police headquarters in 1999 and turned over the golf club piece to Greenwich police. According to court papers filed by Seeger on Thursday, the handle has not been located, and any police report on the matter was not discovered, either.

Well, if it is, indeed, the handle, I wonder if the supposed discovery of its location after all these years will have its intended effect. Skakel claimed to have gone to the Terrien housethat night and after that to have masturbated in the tree outside Martha's bedroom, so now he's in two locations where two different pieces of the golf club have been located? Quite a coincidence, what an unlucky guy, what are the chances?
:thinking:

Yeah, poor guy. Life is so unfair. <choke> <gag>

Wow, surprised to hear this. I could never be sure if he or his brother committed Martha's murder. I believe one of them did.

The Kennedy cousin who constantly speaks out for Michael Skakel, Robert F. Kennedy Jr, is so annoying. Yeah, we get it, he wants his cousin free, but dial it back a notch, dude. It's like they forget there is a victim in all of this, a young girl
was brutally murdered.

Totally agree with this, how about the Moxley's.. Such a lovely area to grow up - and then to have the happen in your own backyard, is just an atrocity as I see it.

I remember when this case first made the news as well as Skakel's court case. There is a lot of money in Greenwich, CT and when that money is attached to the Kennedy family - there was a lot of local talk that Michael could buy his way out of a murder conviction.

SMH

Go directly to jail. Do not pass Go. Do not collect $2,000,000.00.

:behindbar

Happened to see the Unsolved Mysteries version whilst walking on the treadmill this morning, glad to know he's still behind bars!

He won't be locked up as long as he deserves to be, but at least it's something.

From the New York Times
DEC. 30, 2016

In the latest twist in a case that has been full of them, the Connecticut Supreme Court ruled on Friday that the murder conviction of Michael C. Skakel, who was found guilty in 2002 of bludgeoning a teenage neighbor with a golf club, should be reinstated.

The court said in making its ruling that Mr. Skakel’s original lawyer had, despite accusations to the contrary, represented him effectively.
The decision could send Mr. Skakel back to prison to finish a prison term of 20 years to life. He had spent more than a decade behind bars before he was released in 2013 when a judge vacated his original sentence.
https://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/30/...r-conviction-has-been-reinstated.html?mcubz=3

Officials want Kennedy cousin back in prison

https://www.pressherald.com/2018/01/30/officials-want-kennedy-cousin-back-in-prison/

In Monday’s petition to the Supreme Court, prosecutor James Killen wrote the court’s usual practice is to rule on a request to reconsider a decision within weeks, and it’s not clear why it is taking so long. “The petitioner has enjoyed more than a year of additional freedom from serving his sentence, with only the most minimal restrictions on his liberty,” Killen wrote.

Supreme Court, With New Justice, Allows Michael Skakel To Remain Free, At Least For Now

http://www.courant.com/news/connecticut/hc-skakel-supreme-release-20180222-story.html

The state Supreme Court, in a rebuff to prosecutors, has ruled that accused killer Michael Skakel can remain free on bail while the court considers his most recent appeal.

The Supreme Court denied the prosecution’s request to return Skakel to prison without elaboration in a one-sentence order made public Thursday.

$$Money$$ talks, Skakel walks...
SMH

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kurumsal