UK UK - Serial killer preying on elderly couples, could be on the loose since mid-1990's

Interesting that we have 2 committed in February and 2 in November...wonder if there's any meaning or reasoning behind that?

Man stating he's there service the boiler maybe? Either way, it's easier to stake out potential victims in their own home at that time of year due to the early sunset and daylight saving.

You have to wonder why these were dismissed as murder suicides. Would the police ever just nudge a case in that direction in order to tie it up if they had no leads? It might help their statistics. Or is that too suspicious of me?

ADMIN NOTE:

This post lands at random regarding paywalled articles.

Members can still post a link to paywalled articles so that members who have a subscription or wish to purchase one can read the full article.

The limitation is that no direct quotes or copy/paste from the paywalled article can be brought to WS. Members can paraphrase what the article is about (or if appropriate use the short google hit summary to give an idea of the content).

Hope that clarifies.

SB :)

Shock over tragedy of 'devoted couple'

Apologies if this was already posted, but I did pick out this tidbit:

The bodies of Ken and Eileen Martin, 77 and 76, were discovered on Monday at their Broadway home just hours before their 55th wedding anniversary.

It was mentioned in passing in the original article, but it's definitely jumping out at me as being strange. I'm just so shocked by so many elements of this case.

Oh yes! Our latest boiler servicer said they ran their checks "between November through to April" - that covers all of the murders. They service a wide area too!

People wouldn't think twice about them wearing overalls and having a toolbox either.

You'd think there would be some witness, a neighbour perhaps, seeing someone coming to the house though. Or at least some CCTV.

Shock over tragedy of 'devoted couple'

Apologies if this was already posted, but I did pick out this tidbit:

The bodies of Ken and Eileen Martin, 77 and 76, were discovered on Monday at their Broadway home just hours before their 55th wedding anniversary.

It was mentioned in passing in the original article, but it's definitely jumping out at me as being strange. I'm just so shocked by so many elements of this case.

There was also some mention of one of the female victims wedding rings being left visible post murder.

Is there a time of death mentioned anywhere that I've missed?
Good question, cannot recall if it was mentioned or not, off to see if i can find a link mentioning the time.
Meanwhile, can anything be gleaned about the type of person who would kill the elderly, for example...
Stephen Akinmurele - Wikipedia
''Stephen Oladimeji K. Akinmurele (16 March 1978 – 28 August 1999) was a British suspected serial killer who was charged with murdering five elderly people between 1995 and 1998. Initially, he was charged with the murder of an elderly couple, Eric Boardman, 77 and his wife Joan Boardman, 74. His third suspected crime was the murder of Jemmimah Cargill. Following Mr. Cargill, he was also charged with the murders of Dorothy Harris and Marjorie Ashton[1]. Akinmurele, who was of Nigerian descent, had a history of mental illness and had committed crimes against the elderly from the age of 11. He was drawn to situations in which he would encounter the elderly with the police asserting he got a "kick" out of killing old people. Akinmurele confessed to a number of the murders but died by suicide before his trial. Police believe he may have also been responsible for two further killings. The case is notable due to Akinmurele's long-standing hatred of elderly people.''

Last edited:
Good question, cannot recall if it was mentioned or not, off to see if i can find a link mentioning the time.
Meanwhile, can anything be gleaned about the type of person who would kill the elderly, for example...
''Stephen Oladimeji K. Akinmurele (16 March 1978 – 28 August 1999) was a British suspected serial killer who was charged with murdering five elderly people between 1995 and 1998. Initially, he was charged with the murder of an elderly couple, Eric Boardman, 77 and his wife Joan Boardman, 74. His third suspected crime was the murder of Jemmimah Cargill. Following Mr. Cargill, he was also charged with the murders of Dorothy Harris and Marjorie Ashton[1]. Akinmurele, who was of Nigerian descent, had a history of mental illness and had committed crimes against the elderly from the age of 11. He was drawn to situations in which he would encounter the elderly with the police asserting he got a "kick" out of killing old people. Akinmurele confessed to a number of the murders but died by suicide before his trial. Police believe he may have also been responsible for two further killings. The case is notable due to Akinmurele's long-standing hatred of elderly people.''
Akinmurele did the right choice.
British taxpayers won't pay for his lifetime detention... :rolleyes:

possible reason for his hatred...

Akinmurele was a striking handsome man. When his parents split up he moved back with his mother to her native Isle of Man. He was brought up by his strict, maternal grandmother.

I believe that was the genesis of his loathing of elderly people. He was believed to have committed two murders in the Isle of Man, then he came to Blackpool. It was inevitable there would be an escalation.

“He must have got some kind of emotional kick out of it. The murders were not crimes of spontaneity. He picked his victims. I do not believe he was mentally ill. The wickedness in him overcame him.

The suspected seaside serial killer with a 'hatred' of old people who might have killed five elderly victims

One of the victims had been vocal in their local newspaper a year before their deaths, about their health challenges and his location -

"He had spoken about their health problems last year in an interview with his local newspaper in support of plans for a new surgery in their road.

"Explaining how welcome it would be to have one on their doorstep, he said: 'I'm diabetic, I've got prostate trouble and the wife's got vascular dementia.'

[...]

"Roni Nutter, 49, a support worker said: 'Ken would ride his bike up until this year, but in the past couple of weeks he had really deteriorated. Ken had a mobility scooter delivered in the past two weeks.

'If it was a mercy killing, I would be shocked.' "

Husband 'kills seriously ill wife then himself' on eve of 55th wedding anniversary | Daily Mail Online

One of the victims had been vocal in their local newspaper a year before their deaths, about their health challenges and his location -

"He had spoken about their health problems last year in an interview with his local newspaper in support of plans for a new surgery in their road.

"Explaining how welcome it would be to have one on their doorstep, he said: 'I'm diabetic, I've got prostate trouble and the wife's got vascular dementia.'

[...]

"Roni Nutter, 49, a support worker said: 'Ken would ride his bike up until this year, but in the past couple of weeks he had really deteriorated. Ken had a mobility scooter delivered in the past two weeks.

'If it was a mercy killing, I would be shocked.' "

Husband 'kills seriously ill wife then himself' on eve of 55th wedding anniversary | Daily Mail Online

I mean, that's information out there for the killer to see and know about.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lhaithco
Back