Kyron Horman Discussion Thread 2020 - 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone remember discussing the supposed "color-coding" system Kyron's teacher was using to monitor the children's behavior in the classroom? And the strict discipline Terri wanted to be meted out by Kaine if Kyron wasn't perfect?

Well, Desiree believes there is a good chance that was all made up by Terri.

Snipped quote: Her attitude changed in the past year after Kyron entered second grade, he [Kaine] said. His teacher, with a color-coding system for her class, rated the kids on their behavior. Green was good, yellow signaled moments of inattention, blue indicated trouble and red sent them home.

Kaine said the teacher called parents about a blue or red card. But he said his wife was the only parent who asked for daily accounts from the teacher.

"Terri wanted notification whether it was green, yellow, red or blue," he said. "Every day she wanted it. That, to me, is extremely excessive. The child is in second grade."

He said when Kyron brought home anything but a green card she wanted Kaine to discipline him by grounding him to his room for the evening, eliminating play time or not letting him watch movies.

"There was no room for error," Kaine said.

Snipped quote: At Christmas, Desiree was afraid that Terri’s obsessiveness with the color card system meant Kyron wouldn’t be allowed to visit or celebrate the holidays. She called Kaine’s house daily to talk to Kyron, trying to ease some of his stress. Desiree had Kyron write a letter to Santa, apologizing for his behavior.

But the code of conduct and the colored cards may have only existed in Terri’s playbook. Mothers of other children in Kyron’s class said it didn’t exist. When Desiree found out it was just a ploy of Terri’s, she was sickened. “The fact that I doubted Kyron’s honesty, that he thought I didn’t believe him, tore me up after he went missing,” Desiree said.

"Boy Missing · The Search for Kyron Horman" by Rebecca Morris
This is way too much for a 7-year-old to handle. Every teacher in the lower grades that I've heard of, tried to instill discipline with rewards for good behavior such as gold stars or stickers.

Who says no one talked about what the alleged man looked like? It is, however, the sad fact that unless he looked very distinctive, there was likely little reason for anyone to give much attention to him. I suspect the descriptions are mostly "white male, average height, hair may be brown" or the like. But, again, we do know that the police asked about a strange person who wasn't Terri or Dede, and provided no description of them.

Do you have an example?
So a possible suspect who could exonerate Terri and he is just not distinctive looking enough to describe?
When the trial comes, I wonder if Terri's defense will reference the "man," and talk about how witnesses saw he was a man, but that's it. No height, size, hair color, clothing, etc.
I doubt it, because if Kyron was seen with a man, he was cleared.

An example of parents making demands when they feel their kids are at risk? Goodness, the protests and demands duirng Covid to open or close the schools; or make kids wear or stop making them wear masks. Scratch a school shooting, find parent protests and demands. Demands that something is done if parents think their kids are being bullied.

IMO you didn't have much, if any, in the way of protests or demands at Skyline because parents knew or suspected that Terri was the perpetrator. After all there was-or is- a restraining order preventing her from going near the school.

bbm
The restraining order requires the former elementary school teacher to stay more than 500 feet from her husband or daughter and to not go near Skyline Elementary – where Kyron was last seen June 4 – Kaine’s workplace or his gym, reports The Oregonian. She is also not allowed to enter her daughter’s current or future day care or school.

Last edited:
This is way too much for a 7-year-old to handle. Every teacher in the lower grades that I've heard of, tried to instill discipline with rewards for good behavior such as gold stars or stickers.
I know right? But we aready know that Terri couldn't run the marathon.
Because being a good parent is a marathon, not a sprint.
Some people just can't, or won't, do what it takes to parent their kids until they're grown.
Terri's parents and husbands were relied on a lot with her oldest. She even got an ex, who was the non-bio, to adopt her oldest child.
She only made it to age seven with Kyron.
And not even the age of two with her youngest.
Not a very good track record.

Does anyone remember discussing the supposed "color-coding" system Kyron's teacher was using to monitor the children's behavior in the classroom? And the strict discipline Terri wanted to be meted out by Kaine if Kyron wasn't perfect?

Snipped quote: Her attitude changed in the past year after Kyron entered second grade, he [Kaine] said. His teacher, with a color-coding system for her class, rated the kids on their behavior. Green was good, yellow signaled moments of inattention, blue indicated trouble and red sent them home.

Kaine said the teacher called parents about a blue or red card. But he said his wife was the only parent who asked for daily accounts from the teacher.

"Terri wanted notification whether it was green, yellow, red or blue," he said. "Every day she wanted it. That, to me, is extremely excessive. The child is in second grade."

He said when Kyron brought home anything but a green card she wanted Kaine to discipline him by grounding him to his room for the evening, eliminating play time or not letting him watch movies.

Snipped quote: At Christmas, Desiree was afraid that Terri’s obsessiveness with the color card system meant Kyron wouldn’t be allowed to visit or celebrate the holidays. She called Kaine’s house daily to talk to Kyron, trying to ease some of his stress. Desiree had Kyron write a letter to Santa, apologizing for his behavior.

But the code of conduct and the colored cards may have only existed in Terri’s playbook. Mothers of other children in Kyron’s class said it didn’t exist. When Desiree found out it was just a ploy of Terri’s, she was sickened. “The fact that I doubted Kyron’s honesty, that he thought I didn’t believe him, tore me up after he went missing,” Desiree said.

The color coding didn't even exist? Wow. I wonder if this type of thing was one of the reasons Terri never got a full-time teaching job.

So a possible suspect who could exonerate Terri and he is just not distinctive looking enough to describe?
When the trial comes, I wonder if Terri's defense will reference the "man," and talk about how witnesses saw he was a man, but that's it. No height, size, hair color, clothing, etc.

BBM: "If Kyron was seen with a man, he" COULDN'T have been cleared because the man wasn't identified.

Because LE didn't say he was identified. They wouldn't need to tell us who he is. They could just tell us they know who he is. They haven't.
I don't know why they would publicaly talk about some guy who had nothing to do with the case except he was in the building, if this guy exists. I'm sure there are many others who have been pointed out or named by or tipped in by people. No reason for LE to mention them.

I don't know why they would publicaly talk about some guy who had nothing to do with the case except he was in the building, if this guy exists. I'm sure there are many others who have been pointed out or named by or tipped in by people. No reason for LE to mention them.
It was LE that brought him to the public eye to begin with. LE doesn't know if he had anything to do with the case or if he was in the building. LE dropped that part of the investigation without even finding out who he was.

Several of my son's elementary school teachers used a card system like this. Unfortunately. (His class did struggle behavior-wise.) And I guess my point is some teachers did use it and sadly still do. And it can really damage a child's self esteem and reputation among peers, IMO.

Wow! Much as I've followed this story from the beginning I don't remember reading this before.
Sounds like she snapped over time. And then planned it out.

I know right? But we aready know that Terri couldn't run the marathon.
Because being a good parent is a marathon, not a sprint.
Some people just can't, or won't, do what it takes to parent their kids until they're grown.
Terri's parents and husbands were relied on a lot with her oldest. She even got an ex, who was the non-bio, to adopt her oldest child.
She only made it to age seven with Kyron.
And not even the age of two with her youngest.
Not a very good track record.
BBM - And pay child support.

Snipped quote: In August 1998, two years after they were married, [RE] adopted [J]. Tarver, who struggled financially, agreed to give up his parental rights.

The Eckers thought it was a bad idea.

"She pushed him," Chuck Ecker said. "And being Richard, being a good guy, he adopted [J]."
In January 2002, Horman and Ecker were divorced. She got primary custody of [J] and the decree included an informal agreement that Ecker would pay about $169 a month in child support.

A year later, Horman went to Washington County authorities, asking for more child support. His payments were bumped up to nearly $550 a month. Ecker went to Horman's house to ask for a break on child support, saying the payments were cutting a big chunk out of his salary. She seemed amenable to a reduction, he said, but the next day he got a call from the Washington County Sheriff's Office, telling him to stop harassing his ex-wife.

Ecker has not seen [J] since that call and still pays child support. [As of August 2010] He estimates he's contributed about $46,000.

Another thing to remember here is the big deal that was made about Terri showing devotion to Kyron by driving him all the way to Shari's in Springfield every other weekend so he could spend time with Desiree.

It turns out that her bio-son was part of the transfer, too--going off to visit his bio-dad.

Snipped quote: Every other weekend, Terri, Kaine or [GM], Desiree's first husband, shuttled [J], Kyron, and Desiree and Greg's son, [Q], to Shari's restaurant in Springfield for a handoff. [J] stayed with the Tarvers in Roseburg and Kyron and [Q] went with Desiree to Medford, where she lives with her husband, [TY].

BBM - exactly. In my opinion, neither of the mysterious, indescribable, unidentified males exists or ever existed. It is simply a "look over here" not "over there" ploy.

The first mysterious, unidentified man:
Snipped quote: "The teacher thought I said I was going to take Kyron with Kitty for a doctor's appt.," she wrote on June 5, 2010. "I said I was going to look at other exhibits - how do you mess that up? His coat and backpack were still at school. I left the school at 9 and he was seen with a man 'chaperone' and 2 girls after I left. There were no men on the chaperone list. That and it was highly chaotic - had to been 300 people running around - no coordination ..."

Even a flyer was made about this mysterious man, but no description was ever given anywhere. The flyer was distributed for a short period of time in the Roseburg area.

Snipped quote: The information references a mysterious man who might be connected to Kyron's disappearance.

The second mysterious, unidentified man:
Aug-11-2010 21:59
Detectives Seek Public Help in Kyron Horman Case
Investigators release new photos and requests.
Snipped Quote: The second focus is an effort to identify any person or persons associated with the truck during those times

Snipped quote: They also want to know if a third person is tied to Kyron’s disappearance.
Investigators aren’t identifying the gender of the person in the truck but have reason to believe the person may not be Spicher.

So, I guess, since law enforcement would not officially confirm the gender it was decided that the person was a male and since we heard nothing else about that person--well, then law enforcement "let another one slip away".

But law enforcement never confirmed that a third person ever existed. The last we heard is they were looking. Since it's been 12 years, my guess would be they never found anyone, or else we would have had another name.

We never heard of anyone else lawyering up. Only Terri and DeDe.

Last edited:
It was LE that brought him to the public eye to begin with. LE doesn't know if he had anything to do with the case or if he was in the building. LE dropped that part of the investigation without even finding out who he was.
We don't know what they found out. We don't know if they dropped any part of the investigation.

BBM - exactly. In my opinion, neither of the mysterious, indescribable, unidentified males exists or ever existed. It is simply a "look over here" not "over there" ploy.

The first mysterious, unidentified man:
Snipped quote: "The teacher thought I said I was going to take Kyron with Kitty for a doctor's appt.," she wrote on June 5, 2010. "I said I was going to look at other exhibits - how do you mess that up? His coat and backpack were still at school. I left the school at 9 and he was seen with a man 'chaperone' and 2 girls after I left. There were no men on the chaperone list. That and it was highly chaotic - had to been 300 people running around - no coordination ..."

Even a flyer was made about this mysterious man, but no description was ever given anywhere. The flyer was distributed for a short period of time in the Roseburg area.

Snipped quote: The information references a mysterious man who might be connected to Kyron's disappearance.

The second mysterious, unidentified man:
Aug-11-2010 21:59
Detectives Seek Public Help in Kyron Horman Case
Investigators release new photos and requests.
Snipped Quote: The second focus is an effort to identify any person or persons associated with the truck during those times

Snipped quote: They also want to know if a third person is tied to Kyron’s disappearance.
Investigators aren’t identifying the gender of the person in the truck but have reason to believe the person may not be Spicher.

So, I guess, since law enforcement would not officially confirm the gender it was decided that the person was a male and since we heard nothing else about that person--well, then law enforcement "let another one slip away".

But law enforcement never confirmed that a third person ever existed. The last we heard is they were looking. Since it's been 12 years, my guess would be they never found anyone, or else we would have had another name.

We never heard of anyone else lawyering up. Only Terri and DeDe.
Yes. The first time I ever heard of Kyron being with a man was from Terri herself. Along with blaming the teacher and the school. Because imo she thought that's how it would go, that the teacher would be blamed. "They're blaming me in the blogs!" she complained.

Oh that's right. The flyer Terri was handing out. He was seen with a man, and the tip line # was wrong!

Well, there won't be a trial, at least not with Terri as defendant, so the point is moot.

But in such a hypothetical trial, it would be enough for the defense if the witnesses did see a strange man with Kyron, after Terri had left. It would be her trial after all, not the trial of the mystery man.

An example of parents making demands when they feel their kids are at risk? Goodness, the protests and demands duirng Covid to open or close the schools; or make kids wear or stop making them wear masks. Scratch a school shooting, find parent protests and demands. Demands that something is done if parents think their kids are being bullied.

Seems like apples and oranges to me. Have there been any cases where there was an abduction from a school and parents - not those whose child was taken - sue the school?

IMO you didn't have much, if any, in the way of protests or demands at Skyline because parents knew or suspected that Terri was the perpetrator. After all there was-or is- a restraining order preventing her from going near the school.

Yes, because LE and media immediately painted Terri as the suspect, pretty much absolving the school. Even if the parents thought otherwise, what were they supposed to do?

So there are three sightings that likely take place after 8:45, and after Terri has left the school. First there's Kyron's friend TP. The great @BeanE transcribed the direct statements here. Putting them in order:

- And he walked by the hallway and I'm like, Hi, Kyron, and he's like, Hi. I'm gonna go see this cool one. Electric one. And I'm like, Alright, bye. And that's the last time I saw him. He never did make it back to class.

- I went downstairs, and that was the last time I saw him and I never did see him after that.

[after returning to the classroom around 10:00]

- And she was like 'oh no where's Kyron there's only five' and Miss Porter's like it's alright calm down, calm down she's probably in the bathroom or getting a drink of water and she's like alright I'm gonna leave and she left.

(as an aside, in the Morris book, the author claims this encounter took place in the stairwell at the south entrance, when Kyron and Terri took different stairs to the second floor, contradicting the account above. This does seem like the writer finding the only possible time the TP encounter could have occurred in a Terri-took-him scenario, but it really doesn't work)

There's also this from one of the interviews:

[TP] is Kyron's deskmate in their combined second-third grade classroom. [TP] says Kyron was in school for at least an hour Friday morning and that he saw Kyron's step-mother leave the school without Kyron.

Second, there's the older kid, TK:

One person who has been asked again about what he saw is Skyline seventh-grader [TK], whose science fair project was on antimatter. He said investigators came back to interview him last week at his home.

“I just saw him (Kyron) in the gym, and I saw the truck out in the parking lot,” he said Wednesday. [TK] said Kyron was looking at other students’ science fair projects, seemed happy and was with friends.

[...] He said when he saw Kyron in the gym he didn’t see Terri Horman with him. He and his family have turned over pictures they took at the science fair to investigators, but they’ve been asked not to disclose the timeframe in which he saw Kyron.

The third one is the only one that never gave a direct quote to media, but was often referred to by LE:

- The last time he was seen was here at the school, and that was on Friday about late, a late hour in the morning was the last time he was actually seen here at the school. Since that time we've developed no other additional information that's indicated that he was here beyond that point after our interviews with the children.

- He was seen not, he was seen near his classroom, and the last point was down at the south entrance door of the school.

- Actually that statement came from one of the children that was here earlier this morning that was interviewed.

(transcription by @BeanE, once again)

Let's first show the layout of the school.

So, three children, three sightings. What do we know about the prior movements? Terri, Kyron and baby arrived ca 8:15, first stop Kyron's classroom 213 where Terri took the picture and talked to the teacher and other parents. According to her email she then said she and Kyron would look at the other exhibits. There are three classrooms between Kyron's and the stairs, where exhibits could have been set up. They then went downstairs to 104 which was the classroom of Kyron's old teacher (as detailed in the Morris book). At 8:45 the bell rang and Kyron and Terri went up different stairs (Kyron by the south entrance and Terri by the gym), Kyron walks down the corridor while Terri lasts sees him from the top of the stairs by the south entrance, before she walks down half a flight and goes outside.

None of these sightings except maybe the last fit into this. With the exception of the split staircase ascension they kept together - which made sense. Regarding TP, he met Kyron in the upstairs hallway (since he specifies going downstairs after the encounter) as Kyron was going to see an exhibit. Note the words TP used: "gonna go see this cool one. Electric one." The implication I take from this is that Kyron had already seen the exhibit, since he gave it a rating, "cool", and referred to it as "this". This makes it likely that the electric exhibit was in one of the classrooms from 207 to 211. Kyron would have seen it touring with Terri and perhaps wanted to take another, closer look without his stepmom moving him along (with only half an hour and chats with two teachers, at least one parent and photo ops, there wouldn't have been much time to really tour all classrooms).

Another aspect that seems to be implied is that neither Kyron nor TP were in groups, despite this being after 8:45. Either they were in groups and the groups were just poorly held together, they had missed being put into groups and were heading to them (in their own pace, I suspect) or the groups were still being formed and they were taking a final look around before going back. Either way, it does seem chaotic and not very organized, which certainly wouldn't be out of the question in my experience.

As for the gym, the interesting aspect is that as far as we know, no one - not LE, not any witness - has placed Terri in the gym, only ever Kyron (specified as without his mom by TK). The gym, like the hallway TP saw Kyron in, is on the second floor. If the statements are correct, Kyron hadn't been in there before, so it was an opportunity for him. The final sighting has Kyron by the south entrance around 9:00. This could have been when he left the school - but the south entrance is also halfway down the central staircase. You would take it if you were going from the 2nd floor hallway to the 1st floor hallway. Kyron had already visited 104 with Terri, but as far as we know, they had never gone further west, except maybe the library (if that's where Kyron's books were returned).

At the west end of the school are classrooms 106, 109 and 110, that would also likely have exhibits. There is also an exit there, to the backside with the soccer field. We know the door was open because the groundskeeper, who was mowing the fields, saw a few of them come outside to look at the plant beds - no adult mentioned.

“It seemed like just a pretty normal day,” he said. “It was kind of damp and wet. It had been wet for a while and the fields were hard to mow. (I) noticed that there was some children that came out the back door, and I thought, ‘please don’t come down and play soccer.’ But they came out and looked at some plants that were in the raised bed.”

The groundskeeper was gone by 9:00 and he didn't see any truck on the access road. But after 9:00? We've already talked a lot about the mystery person the police were looking for, seen by a/the truck at the access road. One interview implies that it was a man and Kyron was seen by the truck.

Reporter: So because... but do you believe that a man was spotted? I mean again, these are witness accounts, and I don't know how much information that you've been privy to about what the, what is the likeliest scenario?

Desiree: Well first of all, why would Kyron even be outside the school? Why would he even be near a truck with somebody else in it?

So here's a hypothesis for Kyron's movements that morning: after touring with Terri, he rushes up the main stairs and heads down the corridor towards his classroom. Terri tells him she's leaving and he waves goodbye before turning and walking. Terri then exits and is seen by TP doing so. For some reason (one of the ones mentioned above) Kyron doesn't go with a group, but instead thinks to go to another classroom (207, 209 or 211) to see an electrical exhibit he didn't have time to fully check out before. On his way, he passes TP, tells him about the exhibit, then continues into the room while TP goes downstairs. After having satisfied his curiosity, Kyron decides to go check the exhibits in the gym, where he hadn't been before. He is seen with friends by TK. After that we're likely somewhere after 9:00, and Kyron wants to see the final classrooms he hadn't been to, the ones to the west. Perhaps he had seen the second floor ones with Terri, or he intended to work his way up, but either way, he walks down the central stairwell where he is seen by the third witness. Once he is at the west classrooms, 106, 109 or 110, he is approached by a man - for all intents and purposes acting like a parent or guardian - who asks him if he could help him carry something into one of the classrooms. Kyron accepts and the two walk out the back door, head down the access road, pass the chain. There the man's pick-up, similar to Kaine's truck, waits. The man lures Kyron inside, then takes off, likely driving far away, beyond any reasonable search radius.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BJarv