Found Deceased GA - Quinton Simon - Missing From Home - Mom ARRESTED- Savannah #4

It's hard to tell. What's unusual is that the subpoena was for Leilani's mother BJ Howell to turn over the writings - “any and all journals, diaries or other writings” that belonged to LS. IMO most documents such as letters or receipts would be covered by search warrants but this subpoena was attempting to compel BJH to surrender something out of the norm.

I could be wrong but that plus the specific wording makes me ask if there is something in particular the DA is looking for. MOO of course.
IANAL...could it be directed at BJH because LS's possessions are at her home? No point directing it at LS because she's in jail, and staying there.

IANAL...could it be directed at BJH because LS's possessions are at her home? No point directing it at LS because she's in jail, and staying there.
Yeah, could be. I was mainly pointing out that a search warrant usually covers such items and I'm pretty sure LE could obtain one even though BJH is the home's owner. Hmm, maybe there are documents in BJH's bedroom or other personal space that is off limits to a search warrant?

In any case it'll be interesting to see how the judge rules. All MOO.

Yeah, could be. I was mainly pointing out that a search warrant usually covers such items and I'm pretty sure LE could obtain one even though BJH is the home's owner. Hmm, maybe there are documents in BJH's bedroom or other personal space that is off limits to a search warrant?

In any case it'll be interesting to see how the judge rules. All MOO.
Maybe the trailer? The Trailer was not there when all of this took place, so maybe was not included in the search warrant originally. Just my guess.

Among the motions heard Monday, was if cameras would be allowed in the courtroom during the trial. WSAV reports Judge Tammy Stokes ruled that there will be no blanket role on cameras and it will be decided upon on a case-by-case basis.

Prosecutors asked for a complete ban citing Quinton’s young siblings while defense attorneys asked for a more lenient ruling, the report states.

Also discussed in court, a motion for DFCS to turn over all its records related to the family. The judge will be reviewing those files to determine if any are relevant to the case.

The indictment against Simon charges her with murder, concealing a death, and falsely reporting a crime in addition to 14 separate counts of lying to investigators. Court records did not list an attorney for Simon and it was not immediately known if she had a lawyer who could speak on her behalf.

The night before her son’s death, according to the indictment, Simon met with a drug dealer and used an unspecified drug.

The indictment said Quinton died the morning of Oct. 5, 2022, after his mother assaulted him with an unknown object, causing the child "serious bodily injury." The charges say she then dumped his body in a trash bin outside a mobile home park about 1.5 miles from her home. Simon later told investigators she had gone there to dispose of "normal household garbage."

Among the motions heard Monday, was if cameras would be allowed in the courtroom during the trial. WSAV reports Judge Tammy Stokes ruled that there will be no blanket role on cameras and it will be decided upon on a case-by-case basis.
RSBM

RBBM

I'm guessing that's a typo in that article... rule would make more sense than role.

From the link.

Billie Jo Howell, mother of Leilani Simon, appeared before Judge Tammy Stokes and handed over eight notebooks belonging to Simon after she was issued a subpoena last month.

Defense attorneys filed a motion to quash the subpoena saying it would violate Leilani Simon's Fourth Amendment rights to unreasonable search and seizure.

The defense said it would call Howell to testify during that hearing which has not been scheduled.

Leilani didn't strike me as the journaling type, so it will be interesting to see what's in those notebooks. And if it will be in any way useful in the trial.

moo
Depends. If she's a fantasist, they might give insight into the workings of her mind. Whether that's directly relevant to Quinton's death, I have no idea, but now that LE have them, they can look them over. I expect they're looking for indications of premediation or documentation of prior abuse. Some people write really vile things down if they don't expect other people to read them. Maybe LS is one of those.

MOO

As a young teenager I found a journal my mom was writing in and being the snoop I was even then I opened it up and read it. Big mistake! She’d written about how she didn’t want to be pregnant. Lots of hurtful stories of that time in her life and how wonderful it was to be pregnant with my sister, etc, etc. As an adult I can see that it was the same narcissistic bull hockey I lived (my sister was the golden child, I was the scapegoat. Still would be but her Alzheimer’s has mostly released her from her mental illness and 0ersonlity disorders. I also know now, being a mom myself, how far from the norm her feelings were. So… I’m saying all this to say I won’t be surprised to see stuff in Lelani’s journals which express how she felt about Quinton and her life’s path. Might be something she began in one of her many attempts at rehab. My mothers journals were started on advice of her psychiatrist which is why I think that.

At the time I wished I’d not read them, later in life I wa glad I had because it helped me move into more of an understanding that the abuse we suffered was because she was sick, not just mean. And that it was her not us at fault. Now, I wish I’d been a better kid that didn’t disrespect someone by invading something should have been private. But we are who we are so I don’t worry too much over it anymore.

Hoping Quinton gets justice and knows he touched the lives of so many who really care about him.

The 22-year-old mother, accused of killing her 20-month-old son Quinton, will enter the plea in her murder case on the morning of March 23.
[snip]
Arraignment set for mother charged in Quinton Simon’s death

I haven't had much to say about this one since LS was arrested and charged. But I am still here, still watching for justice for little man.

SAVANNAH, Ga. — A bond hearing has been set for Leilani Simon, a mother charged in the death of her toddler, Quinton Simon.

According to court documents obtained by Channel 2 Action News, Leilani Simon’s defense team filed the petition in late February.

In the petition, attorneys say that Simon should be granted bond due to not posing a risk of fleeing the court’s jurisdiction, committing any felonies and obstructing officers regarding the case.

Simon's bond hearing and arraignment are set for March 23.
First article says the bond hearing is on March 20 and second article says March 23.

SAVANNAH, Ga. — A bond hearing has been set for Leilani Simon, a mother charged in the death of her toddler, Quinton Simon.

According to court documents obtained by Channel 2 Action News, Leilani Simon’s defense team filed the petition in late February.

In the petition, attorneys say that Simon should be granted bond due to not posing a risk of fleeing the court’s jurisdiction, committing any felonies and obstructing officers regarding the case.

Simon's bond hearing and arraignment are set for March 23.
First article says the bond hearing is on March 20 and second article says March 23.
Um, how about no.

I understand jail is cutting into her ability to party, but there is the matter of a dead child.

Um, how about no.

I understand jail is cutting into her ability to party, but there is the matter of a dead child.
I highly, highly doubt Lelani will be getting bond. She has a previous criminal record and poses a flight risk IMO. She'll be sitting in her cell until trial and after that hopefully until she is carried out in a pine box.

I know that sounds callous, but it's deserving after what she did to her beautiful Quinton by throwing him in a dumpster and the partying it up while LE and searchers combed the landfill for his little remains.

MOO

I highly, highly doubt Lelani will be getting bond. She has a previous criminal record and poses a flight risk IMO. She'll be sitting in her cell until trial and after that hopefully until she is carried out in a pine box.

I know that sounds callous, but it's deserving after what she did to her beautiful Quinton by throwing him in a dumpster and the partying it up while LE and searchers combed the landfill for his little remains.

MOO
I sincerely hope so.

I am not particularly knowledgeable about the ins and outs of the legal system, and I know sometimes people get out on bond for crimes that (if they committed them) clearly show they are not safe to have running about in the community. I would think beating a toddler to death would qualify, but what do I know?

I would also be concerned about her trying to have contact with her surviving children. At least in jail, that isn't going to happen, or at least not without rigorous supervision. (I know supervised contact exists, but I can think of three cases of abduction from the last three months alone that I read here on WS that took place during supervised visits.)

MOO

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TrudiS0716
Back