Australia - Russell Hill & Carol Clay Murdered While Camping - Wonnangatta Valley, 2020 #7

I get the feeling that the police have nothing other than circumstantial evidence. If they had direct evidence, then I don't see why they would have the need to interview Lynn over a period of four days.

Frankly, given what I have read about Lynn, I am very surprised that he said anything at all to them, let alone talk for hours and hours (if that's what he did) over a four day period.

Rather I would have expected him to take the 'no comment' route and let the police knock themselves out trying to make a case that would stand up in court.

A lot about this case puzzles me.
A lot about this case is puzzling me too!

I can think of a scenario where the Police had a 'prime suspect' for quite a while...
...but they began to worry that this person may kill again!
So, Police being Police... needing to protect the wider community from a potential double murderer... arrested him...in a similar place to where they are alleging he committed the crimes...

MOO....Since they had him on the radar for quite a while...
Why arrest him in the location they did, instead of at his house?

.... because they were worried that he'd do it again....

Last edited:
Why arrest him in the location they did, instead of at his house?

.... because they were worried that he'd do it again....

Ex-Jetstar pilot Greg Lynn was arrested in Victoria's high country after police heard him talking to himself about suicide.

. . .

The detective [Daniel Passingham] said after listening to Lynn for more than 3000 recordings, he knew something wasn't right.

'I had a feeling he was going to commit suicide,' he told the court.

The trial will now be moved to 2024 as GL is facing financial difficulties.

Dann said it was unclear if and when the issues would be resolved, but asked the court to move the trial to next year. “There are a number of funding issues trying to be dealt with at the present time and they’re going to take a long time to resolve, I’ve been told,” he said. “This is a privately funded matter, but in terms of it continuing to be ... there’s a battle in that regard with various entities.”

Supreme Court judicial registrar Freeman said an exact date will be scheduled in the coming days but estimated the trial would likely begin in February.

The court heard recently filed documents included a prosecution opening that spanned 31 pages and 145 paragraphs. A new statement from a forensic officer has also recently been submitted into evidence.

The court heard a number of issues raised by the defence team would need to be addressed before the trial began and were expected to be aired over three weeks later this year. Dann said the defence team will seek to have 15 items of evidence excluded including Lynn’s record of interview and “basically everything that flows thereafter”. He said, “Depending on the outcome of these applications to exclude evidence … there would be time needed – if there still is a trial – for the defence to assess their position”.

Prosecutor Dickie expressed concern about delaying the trial, particularly when there were no indications about when GL’s financial issues were likely to be resolved.

Murder trial over camper deaths delayed as accused faces financial woes

Interesting re possible Legal Aid! From what I can gather, Legal Aid is means tested ie assets, income & expenditure. That tells a bit of a story in itself!! I wonder if his wife is making moves to divorce herself from him to preserve some of their accumulated assets! I would think they'd need to sell the house to pay for the ongoing legal costs .. costs that could add up to potentially hundreds of thousands of dollars if this drags on & on and the end result would be all their assets liquidated with nothing to show at the end other than GL in jail and wife left with nothing at all. Just my thoughts at this stage!

Interesting re possible Legal Aid! From what I can gather, Legal Aid is means tested ie assets, income & expenditure. That tells a bit of a story in itself!! I wonder if his wife is making moves to divorce herself from him to preserve some of their accumulated assets! I would think they'd need to sell the house to pay for the ongoing legal costs .. costs that could add up to potentially hundreds of thousands of dollars if this drags on & on and the end result would be all their assets liquidated with nothing to show at the end other than GL in jail and wife left with nothing at all. Just my thoughts at this stage!
Agree for the most part, I was going with wife not wanting to sell and liquidate to fund his legal bills MO

My personal belief is GL has played everyone off a break here. He knew he was on the cusp of being arrested and the whole suicide theory is a ruse to enable what we are now seeing unfold. I would not be at all surprised to see this matter dragged through the courts for years and eventually he will be exonerated. Just my opinion of course. This does not change my view on my belief GL is actually a SK. Does anyone know if GL ever went bush with a mate or the like. Was he a loner in life ?. There is just something about GL that spooks me!.

My personal belief is GL has played everyone off a break here. He knew he was on the cusp of being arrested and the whole suicide theory is a ruse to enable what we are now seeing unfold. I would not be at all surprised to see this matter dragged through the courts for years and eventually he will be exonerated. Just my opinion of course. This does not change my view on my belief GL is actually a SK. Does anyone know if GL ever went bush with a mate or the like. Was he a loner in life ?. There is just something about GL that spooks me!.
I think from my vibe of a few others missing in the area and possibly even further afield that it’s possible.

My personal belief is GL has played everyone off a break here. He knew he was on the cusp of being arrested and the whole suicide theory is a ruse to enable what we are now seeing unfold.
Yes, im tipping the last photo that the Police released to the media of the 4WD and trailer wasn't because they were looking for the owner. An arrest was imminent and he knew it.

Yes, good defence lawyers will try all avenues, but there was media mention quite a while back that police initially recorded an hour-long interview with Lynn at his home some 18 months before he was charged.

Recording such an interview struck me as being quite irregular and that's when I began to wonder if a tactical blunder by police had maybe occurred right there.

My expectation and understanding is that by the time police are ready to record an interview (for evidential purposes), they steer you into an interview room and read you your rights.
Didn’t know that bit.
Not a lawyer but my understanding is that recording/statement *may* not be admissible as evidence.

Don’t think that affects anything about further, official interviews.

Lynn has been charged with two counts of murder and has pleaded not guilty. His trial was originally expected to take place in October.

Pre-trial arguments will still take place during that month. Judicial registrar Tim Freeman agreed that Lynn’s funding issues would be a barrier for an October trial, and ordered a new date to take place within the first few months of 2024. He told the court he would be expecting the trial to take place no later than mid-February.

The trial is expected to last for six weeks. Lynn watched the proceedings via video link. A further directions hearing will take place on June 22.

Some sad news. One of Carol's sisters just passed away. She never saw justice for them. Hopefully we do.

That is sad news. So sorry to hear that.
Also very sad for the family to have lost two sisters during the past three years.

Justice is taking a long time in coming. I think it is a difficult case, and has been very hard - painstaking - for the investigators to piece it together with evidence. They will get there and justice will be served.

VICPOL has been good at getting convictions in the Vic cases I have followed here.

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DryHeat77
Back