Found Deceased MI - Wynter Cole Smith, 2, kidnapped and murdered, suspect Rasheed Malik Trice, 28, arrested, Lansing, 2 July 2023

Rashad Trice, who allegedly assaulted Symari Cole in a Lansing apartment Sunday before kidnapping her 2-year-old daughter, Wynter Cole Smith, was convicted more than a year ago of domestic violence charges involving Cole in another county, court records show.

Monroe County court records reviewed by The Detroit News show that Trice was charged with assaulting his then-girlfriend Cole and for resisting, obstructing or assaulting police in May 2021. He was convicted in 2022...

DETROIT – The man accused of kidnapping Wynter Cole Smith after attacking her mother in Lansing is facing federal kidnapping charges.

Federal prosecutors have charged Rashad Maleek Trice, 26, of Detroit, with kidnapping a minor and kidnapping resulting in death.

If Trice is found guilty of kidnapping resulting in death he could face the death penalty. A kidnapping resulting in death charges comes with a minimum sentence of life in prison and is death penalty eligible, according to prosecutors...

DETROIT – The man accused of kidnapping Wynter Cole Smith after attacking her mother in Lansing is facing federal kidnapping charges.

Federal prosecutors have charged Rashad Maleek Trice, 26, of Detroit, with kidnapping a minor and kidnapping resulting in death.

If Trice is found guilty of kidnapping resulting in death he could face the death penalty. A kidnapping resulting in death charges comes with a minimum sentence of life in prison and is death penalty eligible, according to prosecutors...
He could be charged federally, which carries the death penalty if convicted
I hope that happens in this case

Updated 9:25 p.m. July 7, 2023
As Eddings started to pray, a breeze rustled the balloons. “That’s Wynter,” she said.

Following the prayer, Eddings said her inclination was to “wish darkness” on the man charged in her death but she added: "If we concentrate on him then we take away from her. I told my son: 'Don’t let that monster poison your heart.' We’ve got work to do.”

Eddings added: “I got knocked down, but I’m gonna dust myself off and keep going.”

The vigil unfolded hours after Rashad Trice was charged in federal court with allegedly kidnapping the toddler and strangling her to death with a phone charger.

Trice will be eligible for the death penalty if he is convicted of kidnapping resulting in death, and the mandatory minimum is life in prison.

During the interrogation, Trice admitted to being a monster and said he wanted to kill himself.

Investigators belive Wynter was strangled to death with a pink phone charging cord, which was found with her body in the alley where she was found. Pieces of it were also found with Wynter's body.

The official cause of death is still pending.

Huh? Is his uncle actually calling Wynter the devil?!!! :mad:

In a text message to Trice at 3:06 a.m. Monday, after Trice allegedly kidnapped Wynter, his uncle said: "It's not your fault the girl is the devil," according to federal law enforcement officials. Trice's uncle told Trice he loved him and said he could help if he came to him.

Trice responded with: "I love y'all but I have to end this s--- man."

1688782531651.png

USA v. Trice

Criminal Court Docket Sheet

Western District of Michigan

1:2023-mj-00312 (miwd)

07/07/2023
ORDER SCHEDULING PROGRESSION OF CASE as to defendant Rashad Maleek Trice: preliminary hearing and detention hearing set for 7/11/2023 at 10:30 AM at 584 Federal Building, Grand Rapids, MI before Magistrate Judge Ray Kent; signed by Magistrate Judge Ray Kent

07/07/2023
(NON-DOCUMENT) ORDER APPOINTING FEDERAL PUBLIC DEFENDER as counsel for defendant Rashad Maleek Trice; signed by Magistrate Judge Ray Kent (Text entry; no document attached.)

Huh? Is his uncle actually calling Wynter the devil?!!! :mad:

In a text message to Trice at 3:06 a.m. Monday, after Trice allegedly kidnapped Wynter, his uncle said: "It's not your fault the girl is the devil," according to federal law enforcement officials. Trice's uncle told Trice he loved him and said he could help if he came to him.

Trice responded with: "I love y'all but I have to end this s--- man."

View attachment 433475
I think he’s referring to Wynter’s mother, he may have just been trying to appeal to Trice’s beliefs about the situation to get him to respond/hand Wynter over. MOO

JUL 8, 2023
The man accused in the kidnapping and strangling of 2-year-old Wynter Cole-Smith was so jealous of the toddler's father that he once threatened to kill him, the child's mother told police two years ago, according to a report obtained by the Detroit Free Press.

Rashad Maleek Trice had dated Wynter's mother, Symari Cole, for about a month when in May 2021 she told police he pushed her during an argument while she was holding the then 3-month-old baby girl. The two were arguing about Wynter's father while house sitting for Trice's uncle in Monroe for the weekend.

In a mournful gathering on Erwin Street, near the east-side alley where a missing toddler was found dead this week, a crowd of Detroiters held their fists in the air and yelled, "We will do better," a chant that started small and quickly grew to an intense collective cry.

It was a promise to Wynter Cole-Smith, a missing 2-year-old from Lansing whose body was discovered just two days prior. It was a promise to remember Wynter, to not let her killing go without action from the community.

JUL 8, 2023
The man accused in the kidnapping and strangling of 2-year-old Wynter Cole-Smith was so jealous of the toddler's father that he once threatened to kill him, the child's mother told police two years ago, according to a report obtained by the Detroit Free Press.

Rashad Maleek Trice had dated Wynter's mother, Symari Cole, for about a month when in May 2021 she told police he pushed her during an argument while she was holding the then 3-month-old baby girl. The two were arguing about Wynter's father while house sitting for Trice's uncle in Monroe for the weekend.

In a mournful gathering on Erwin Street, near the east-side alley where a missing toddler was found dead this week, a crowd of Detroiters held their fists in the air and yelled, "We will do better," a chant that started small and quickly grew to an intense collective cry.

It was a promise to Wynter Cole-Smith, a missing 2-year-old from Lansing whose body was discovered just two days prior. It was a promise to remember Wynter, to not let her killing go without action from the community.
One question have, was the killer still in the mother's life? I am just not clear about that

JUL 8, 2023
The family of Wynter held a vigil in Detroit to honor the 2-year-old girl.

The vigil was held at the spot where Wynter’s body was found. There was a private moment for her parents.

A vigil is being planned for Wynter in Lansing Saturday, July 8. The family said they’re still planning her funeral arrangements.

That's a good question. Ex-boyfriend but also the father of the younger boy...my guess would be that although they weren't currently in a relationship, they did have some contact. MOO
RMT allegedly showed up at the apartment of his ex-girlfriend on a bicycle. Sounds like he lived in the Lansing area. Perhaps he had some type of visitation privileges with his one-year-old son, in which case, he would have limited contact with SC. JMO

JUL 8, 2023

So in his hate and rage, to him little Wynter was just an object representing Trice's jealousy of her biological father, a student-athlete and college senior in Tennessee, and a prized possession of her mother that Trice could not control.

He murdered little Wynter to get back at both her mother and her father. She bore the price of his hate and rage, this totally loveable little girl.

So in his hate and rage, to him little Wynter was just an object representing Trice's jealousy of her biological father, a student-athlete and college senior in Tennessee, and a prized possession of her mother that Trice could not control.

He murdered little Wynter to get back at both her mother and her father. She bore the price of his hate and rage, this totally loveable little girl.
You nailed it, IMO.

Unfathomable :mad:

Only one person has been executed in Michigan since the state outlawed the death penalty in 1847.

Now, with the recent charges against a man accused of killing 2-year-old Wynter Cole Smith, there could be another case of capital punishment.

The Michigan Constitution bans the death penalty, leaving federal prosecution as the only way for a Michigan resident to be executed, as Anthony Chebatoris was in 1938.

Rashad Trice, who is accused of killing Wynter after police say he abducted her from her Lansing home, could be eligible for the death penalty if convicted after he was charged in Grand Rapids federal court Friday with kidnapping and kidnapping resulting in death.

No decisions have been announced about whether prosecutors are seeking capital punishment in the case. A representative for the Western District of Michigan U.S. attorney, Mark Totten, did not respond for comment Friday on whether Totten's office would seek the death penalty...

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MinorLang
Back