Found Deceased MI - Wynter Cole Smith, 2, kidnapped and murdered, suspect Rasheed Malik Trice, 28, arrested, Lansing, 2 July 2023

JUL 10, 2023
[...]

“I’m really thankful that I could be there at that time,” Pingle said.

“If it wasn’t for her, I probably wouldn’t have my daughter alive,” Cannon said.

Having never met before, Pingle saw Cole running for help the night of July 2. Police say Cole was stabbed and sexually assaulted by Rashad Trice.

[...]

Pingle jumped into action by calling police and driving Cole to the hospital.

“She was hurt and her babies needed help, and who wouldn’t help,” Cole said.

[...]

“We just want to send out a big thank you to everyone for being proactive,” Cannon said.

Wynter’s family also extended thanks to the law enforcement agencies that helped in the investigation.

JUL 10, 2023
1689040181171.png

When police arrested the man suspected of kidnapping Wynter Cole Smith, the 2-year-old girl was nowhere to be found. Now, Local 4 has obtained exclusive video showing the car chase, arrest, and conversation between officers and Rashad Trice.

(See 21 minute video at the link)

Last edited:
JUL 11, 2023
The push for justice for Wynter Cole-Smith will take a step forward today. Police say Wynter was kidnapped in Lansing by 26-year-old Rashad Trice. Days later her body was found in Detroit.

[...]

Even though the death penalty is outlawed at the state level, Schnider says it can be brought federally, but they are not easy to prosecute. Defense attorneys have the chance to argue mitigating factors. That could include Trice's mental health, his upbringing, or any challenges from his childhood. Nonetheless, prosecutors will have the chance to argue aggravating factors.

"For example, this was just an innocent little girl who had nothing to do with this and was murdered heinously. That's an aggravating factor," he said.

[...]

I think he was talking about Wynters mother,not much better though
agreed the uncle was referring to Wynter's mother not to Wynter. I don't hold any malice for the uncle. If the uncle knew what Trice had done, then I believe he was trying to convince his nephew to come to him so that he could help de-escalate an out of control situation.

Grand Rapids — A grand jury will decide whether the 26-year-old Detroit man accused of kidnapping and killing a 2-year-old Lansing girl should stand trial for her death.

At a federal court hearing Tuesday morning in Grand Rapids, Magistrate Judge Ray Kent found there was probable cause that Rashad Trice kidnapped Wynter Cole Smith from a Lansing apartment July 2, drove her to Detroit in her grandmother's car, strangled her and left her in a Detroit alleyway.

Trice, who entered the courtroom wearing an orange jumpsuit and chains around his wrists, waist and ankles, will remain in custody while federal prosecutors assemble a grand jury over the next few weeks to hear the evidence in his case and decide on whether he should be indicted. The indictment would take the place of the criminal complaint currently keeping Trice in custody...

https://www.docketbird.com/court-cases/USA-v-Trice/miwd-1:2023-mj-00312
USA v. Trice

Criminal Court Docket Sheet

Western District of Michigan

1:2023-mj-00312 (miwd)

07/11/2023
ORDER that defendant Rashad Maleek Trice is bound over for further proceedings before the Grand Jury: arraignment and initial pretrial conference if indicted, or status conference, set for 8/7/2023 at 11:00 AM at 584 Federal Building, Grand Rapids, MI before Magistrate Judge Ray Kent; signed by Magistrate Judge Ray Kent

JUL 11, 2023
[...]

Sergeant: “You swerved at my freaking officers, trying to hit them with a car.”

Trice: “Yeah y’all gonna kill me anyway, why not--”

Sergeant: “Whatever, shut your mouth.”

At about 4 a.m. the morning of July 3, after the Amber Alert, Trice exchanged messages with a contact identified as his father.

"Where is the little girl," Trice's father asked.

"She's gone," Trice replied at 4:01 a.m. Within the hour, Trice was arrested by St. Clair Shores police and taken to a nearby hospital for treatment.

When his criminal defense attorney cross examined Rodolico, she asked if they had any surveillance video of Trice at the apartments.

“We do not have video of Mr. Trice,” Rodolico said.

However, he said they had video of the vehicle.

During cross examination, Rodolico also mentioned that Trice corresponded with two uncles via text message as well, that he had stab wounds to the chest and abdomen, and that when Wynter’s body was found, she was fully clothed.

The death penalty is too good for this monster. It truly is. He should be left out to the wolves or something vicious and violent. That’s what he deserves.

RIP little beauty queen. You’re too precious for this ugly, twisted world.

The death penalty is too good for this monster. It truly is. He should be left out to the wolves or something vicious and violent. That’s what he deserves.

RIP little beauty queen. You’re too precious for this ugly, twisted world.
I agree, I am supportive of the DP however in this case, he may actually suffer and die earlier then what the state can do to him. IMO

'' Jul 11, 2023
The push for justice for Wynter Cole-Smith moved a step forward today. Police say Wynter was kidnapped in Lansing by 26-year-old Rashad Trice. Days later her body was found in Detroit.''

''Jul 10, 2023
The man accused of killing 2-year-old Wynter Cole-Smith faces the prospect of being the first person executed in Michigan since 1938.''

JUL 13, 2023
He is also accused of sexually assaulting and stabbing his ex-girlfriend, Wynter’s mother. In connection to the attack, he is facing multiple charges, including:
  • Assault with Intent to Murder
  • Criminal Sexual Conduct - 1st degree (two counts)
  • Home Invasion - 1st degree
  • Unlawful Imprisonment
  • Aggravated Domestic Violence - second offense
  • Unlawful Driving Away of an Automobile and Felonious Assualt
He also faces federal charges in connection to the kidnapping. On Tuesday, a magistrate judge ruled all requirements were met to move forward with charging Trice on a federal level and that there is “plenty of evidence for probable cause.”

JUL 13, 2023
An Ingham County prosecutor and an attorney for the man charged with kidnapping a Lansing toddler that sparked a statewide search told a judge Thursday a murder charge likely will be filed by the state Attorney General’s office.

Rashad Trice, 26, is expected to face a murder charge in connection with the death of Wynter Cole-Smith, 2, who was found dead near a Detroit airport last week, attorneys told Ingham County 54-A District Court Judge Kristen Simmons during a probable cause hearing. Trice already faces charges in three jurisdictions − eight including assault with intent to murder in Ingham County, as well as eight others in Macomb County and two charges including kidnapping filed by federal prosecutors.

[...]

The disposition of Trice's next Ingham Court hearing, scheduled for July 20, could change, depending on Nessel's actions. Trice is currently being held at Newaygo County Jail without bond.

"We would like to leave the preliminary exam on at this point," Ingham County Public Defender Keith Watson, who is representing Trice, told Simmons. "However, Mr. Trice is prepared to waive his right to conduct a preliminary examination within 21 days considering the extensive amount of discovery in the case, and considering the fact that there appears to be some machinations relating to the Attorney General's office."

[...]

U.S. Magistrate Judge Ray Kent expressed some skepticism on whether there was enough evidence for the federal government to prosecute Trice, but ultimately ordered the case to a grand jury. The grand jury, which could convene in the next three weeks, according to prosecutors, will determine if there is sufficient evidence to send Trice to a full jury trial.

[...]

JUL 13, 2023
An Ingham County prosecutor and an attorney for the man charged with kidnapping a Lansing toddler that sparked a statewide search told a judge Thursday a murder charge likely will be filed by the state Attorney General’s office.

Rashad Trice, 26, is expected to face a murder charge in connection with the death of Wynter Cole-Smith, 2, who was found dead near a Detroit airport last week, attorneys told Ingham County 54-A District Court Judge Kristen Simmons during a probable cause hearing. Trice already faces charges in three jurisdictions − eight including assault with intent to murder in Ingham County, as well as eight others in Macomb County and two charges including kidnapping filed by federal prosecutors.

[...]

The disposition of Trice's next Ingham Court hearing, scheduled for July 20, could change, depending on Nessel's actions. Trice is currently being held at Newaygo County Jail without bond.

"We would like to leave the preliminary exam on at this point," Ingham County Public Defender Keith Watson, who is representing Trice, told Simmons. "However, Mr. Trice is prepared to waive his right to conduct a preliminary examination within 21 days considering the extensive amount of discovery in the case, and considering the fact that there appears to be some machinations relating to the Attorney General's office."

[...]

U.S. Magistrate Judge Ray Kent expressed some skepticism on whether there was enough evidence for the federal government to prosecute Trice, but ultimately ordered the case to a grand jury. The grand jury, which could convene in the next three weeks, according to prosecutors, will determine if there is sufficient evidence to send Trice to a full jury trial.

[...]
Bbm

Where is there cause for doubt? He is the only person with access to the child, motive to harm and remnants of the same phone cord were in the car and with the baby. Cellular and vehicle data will lock it up tight.

JMO

Bbm

Where is there cause for doubt? He is the only person with access to the child, motive to harm and remnants of the same phone cord were in the car and with the baby. Cellular and vehicle data will lock it up tight.

JMO
I don't know, because I thought the question was concerning jurisdiction, not evidence. The Detroit Free Press published an article that explained he drove on an interstate highway and was driving a vehicle manufactured in Canada.

I read the article but can't access it now. Here is the Google preview:

Rashad Trice to face grand jury hearing in Wynter Cole ...​

Detroit Free Press
https://www.freep.com › local › michigan › 2023/07/11

2 days ago — Rashad Trice to face grand jury hearing in Wynter Cole-Smith kidnapping case ... highway and driven in a vehicle manufactured in Canada, ...

And from the article linked above:

U.S. Court of Appeals 6th Circuit court judges ruled in U.S. v. Windham that a person can face federal kidnapping charges if they use a phone or a car during the crime even if it didn't cross state lines.

"In what appears to be a question of first impression for this Court, the Court finds that Windham’s intrastate use of a cell phone and automobile satisfies § 1201(a)(1)’s interstate commerce requirements," according to court records.

JUL 13, 2023

Probable Cause Conference of State of Michigan v. Rashad Trice

2.58 min long

JUL 13, 2023
Attorney General Dana Nessel's office is taking over the state prosecution of Rashad Trice in the kidnapping of Wynter Cole-Smith.

Nessel's office confirmed the development in a news release. It will not affect the federal prosecution of Trice, where he is charged with kidnapping a minor and kidnapping resulting in death in the Western District of Michigan and faces a possible death penalty if convicted on those charges.

[...]

“This is a tragic case, and by consolidating the prosecution into one venue, we are recognizing the hardship the surviving victim and family continue to face,” said Nessel in a news release. “I am grateful for the partnership with Prosecutors Dewane, Lucido, and Worthy which allow all of us to place the victims’ needs first while seeking justice for Wynter and her mother.”

[...]

Attorney General to consolidate cases from Ingham, Wayne, Macomb counties

A release said officials have “begun the process of reviewing police reports for potential murder charges.”

JUL 14, 2023
A high-speed chase before dawn. A head-on crash into a police vehicle. Officers yelling at a bloodied, injured suspect to get out of the car before one used a stun gun to subdue him.

Macomb County has released selected tapes of the apprehension of kidnapping suspect Rashad Trice captured by body cameras worn by police officers at the scene. ...

[...]

On the video, after Trice was subdued by a stun gun, pulled out of the car and handcuffed, officers searched the back seat and the trunk of the car he was driving. “The girl kept the baby, not me," Trice says. "I took off. Don’t have the baby. She’s in Lansing with her mom.”

[...]

Trice, the only occupant in the vehicle, refused to exit the car, despite police demands, the officer wrote. An Eastpointe police officer broke the driver's-side window.

"I then observed the driver reach out of the window and grab ahold of Officer Ballard's pistol," the officer wrote. "Officer Ballard was able to pull his pistol free from the driver's grip. I observed the driver attempt to grab Officer Ballard's pistol two more times before Officer Ealy deployed his (Taser), successfully striking the driver."

Ealy stunned Trice again as he refused to leave the car, the officer wrote.

"Upon painting the suspect with the (Taser), he proceeded to reach out and attempt to grab it from my hand," Ealy wrote. "As a result of the suspects actions, I deployed the (Taser), effectively making contact with his person. Following the first deployment, the suspect was ordered to exit the vehicle. Instead, the suspect continue to fight back against officer attempting to remove him from the driver side of the vehicle, resulting in a second deployment."

[...]

Just so precious! :(

Wynter Smith

Wynter Cole-Smith kidnapping: AG handling all Michigan charges after crimes spanned

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silver_fox
Back