Canada- Sharif Rahman, owner of the Curry House restaurant, suffered brain injury after assault by 3 non-paying men, Owen Sound, Ontario, 17 Aug. '23

I was thinking of the electronic footprint of all three that day. What about a geo fence for all cell users in the area? I’m sure the police immediately sought one.

I can’t imagine they set out that day to kill the owner of a restaurant, so at least one likely had a cell phone, imo. So think of each cell tower ping, text, call, interac payment etc. for one or more that may place them there. Especially if they’re not local. I wonder if they can find out who may have googled information about the restaurant.

In another case I follow it took a lot of time for the police to obtain a warrant for the cell geo fence, get the cell companies to hand over the data and then analyze it.

I haven't read the whole thread yet so if I'm repeating something already stated, my apologies. I'm not local to Owen Sound but I've been there plenty of times since I live near Lake Couchiching. The town is a tourist town. It's around the same population as where I live. There's lots of cottagers and day trippers. It's not unique to have Indian restaurants in small Ontario towns. Ontario was one of the provinces that received a lot of immigrants so we're not strangers to Indian, Chinese, Middle Eastern and Japanese food.

I think theses guys were in the area, either as cottagers or doing a reconnoitre or dry run for a triathalon that was taking place on the 26th. There was also a try-a-tri run at the end of July, too. People are commenting on the black pants they are all wearing. Most people who do a lot of biking or triathalons wear bike pants which have padding in them for the bike portion of the race. I have two pairs and both mine are black. I suppose you could get them in different colours. So if could be considered an informal 'uniform' if that's the way you want to look at them.

Also, Subaru sponsors one of the races and there's a lot of older model Subarus around still so I wouldn't discount that also being a possible early model vehicle. Older models of Subarus in the 2010 to 2014 era look very similar to that vehicle, too.

I hope they do have dna from the utensils and plates, even where the suspects sat.

Does it mention how the third person left the premises? He obviously didn't seem to run in the same direction as the other two. Maybe he was on a bike?

I haven't read the whole thread yet so if I'm repeating something already stated, my apologies. I'm not local to Owen Sound but I've been there plenty of times since I live near Lake Couchiching. The town is a tourist town. It's around the same population as where I live. There's lots of cottagers and day trippers. It's not unique to have Indian restaurants in small Ontario towns. Ontario was one of the provinces that received a lot of immigrants so we're not strangers to Indian, Chinese, Middle Eastern and Japanese food.

I think theses guys were in the area, either as cottagers or doing a reconnoitre or dry run for a triathalon that was taking place on the 26th. There was also a try-a-tri run at the end of July, too. People are commenting on the black pants they are all wearing. Most people who do a lot of biking or triathalons wear bike pants which have padding in them for the bike portion of the race. I have two pairs and both mine are black. I suppose you could get them in different colours. So if could be considered an informal 'uniform' if that's the way you want to look at them.

Also, Subaru sponsors one of the races and there's a lot of older model Subarus around still so I wouldn't discount that also being a possible early model vehicle. Older models of Subarus in the 2010 to 2014 era look very similar to that vehicle, too.

I hope they do have dna from the utensils and plates, even where the suspects sat.

Does it mention how the third person left the premises? He obviously didn't seem to run in the same direction as the other two. Maybe he was on a bike?

I thought they might be cycling shorts as well.

There are a few cycling clubs who ride past my home frequently, dressed in black spandex shorts with various bright coloured tops, usually all the same.

IMO, they went into the restaurant to ‘dine and dash’, not sure why they became violent thugs/murderers.

Have a friend who owns an upscale restaurant and most people would be shocked at ‘what types of people’ do dine and dash.

It’s not that they cannot pay, it’s often for the thrill alone. SMH

@branmuffin would you say Owen sound is a popular place for fishing trips? Say, with an uncle or something...
If it's anything like Orillia on Lake Couchiching I would think fishing is fairly popular. They have a lot of salmon fishing but that's usually later in September. Owen Sound is on Georgian Bay so I presume there's lots of good fishing there.

About the cost of food. I like Indian food, but it I were short of money and had two other people with me, I'd either order 3 portions of tandoori chicken + Naan + rice, should be enough for 3 men and under $40, or Tikka masala+rice+raita+Naan. I didn't notice the cost of rice, it is often added to the food. I never saw wine in regular Indian restaurants, lots of times there is iced water, and in general, even 3 guys can be full for $40. You absolutely don't need to be from GB to know Indian cuisine.
I don't think they came with nefarious purpose, but it seemingly turned into hate crime as the men didn't pay and left and then attacked the owner and nephew at the steps, so instead of leaving and driving away they waited.
They don't look super fit to me, but they could be fit if they exercised.
They look young and well-scrubbed, and of course they could belong to white supremacists, but this is not who i thought of when i looked at them. Cousins coming to a family reunion in Canada? Also, i'd ask hairdressers what their haircut reminds them of.
I agree that they don't look fit to me. Especially the guy in the orange t-shirt. He appears younger than the guy in the blue t-shirt. His haircut looks like a haircut that guys on the younger side go for. Sort of a cross between an EMO haircut and a fade.
I don't think this crime was due to white supremacy but a crime of opportunity. They just didn't want to be booted out the restaurant and a verbal spat escalated. But as soon as it became physical it must have been obvious that SR was gravely injured and they just hightailed it out of there. I also think they got out of Dodge really quickly. I think that means that if they were in the area with other individuals those people know who are responsible for this crime and they've said nothing which leads me to believe that family members are protecting them.

RBSBM
Something of this nature? speculation, imo.
Feb 1 2024
''Cineplex has cancelled screenings of a South Indian film following four drive-by shootings at theatres throughout the Greater Toronto Area the day it premiered.
Cineplex spokesperson Michelle Saba says the theatre chain pulled the action film “Malaikottai Vaaliban” due to circumstances beyond their control.''
I think this has more to do with South Asian gangs more than anything. I doubt it's racially motivated.

OK if you Google the Curry House, it has convenient location but there are many pizza places, etc. around it. If you drop a pin and Google RV and campsites, there are several, very close. This is one thought. If they were staying somewhere, given the car, the money situation, I'd think of a campsite first.
Also, there are ferries commuting between Toronto and Tobermory, and Tobermory is close to Owen Sound. Dinner cruises are expensive and won't accommodate a car, but ferries would. In fact, Lake Huron has probably lots of points where ferries take off, but if one wants to escape from Owen Sound fast, probably, a ferry to Ontario? (I am thinking of the fact that they chose a place close to the riverfront, and Owen Sound grew as a bay).
Is it possible?
ETA: another strangeness, the nephew, another victim of the attack, would probably be able to tell the accents, local or not, anglo- or francophones. Did he?
There are no ferries from Toronto to Tobermory.

Thank you!

It is so strange that with an old car, and with a witness and given the quarrel (when accents would be noticed), there are no sketches and no additional information.
When I think of old cars and cottage country I think of people who have a cottage and keep an extra vehicle at the cottage for tooling around when all family members aren't going en masse to somewhere. The kids can do their own thing while at the cottage and the parents get to relax and not be a chauffeur for their kids. It's like having a beater in Florida that you keep there year round so when you don't want to drive from Ontario to Florida you just fly.

Last edited:
It's more about the way they 'match'. Like twins who are dressed exactly the same but different colour shirts (complementary colours too, not randomly different)

JMO
Though there are many possible origins to the clothing as well as a possiblity that the clothing has no common origin....

Your observation is reminiscent of certain big family shoppers that I have known going by the discount rack at Walmart and grabbing 4-5 men's T-shirts that were budget priced to start with. They then toss two large discount packs of black socks into their basket before leaving the department.

I have always respected such parents for the sacrifices they make. But... those sacrifices can produce a certain fuzzy "look" in regards to attire. "Twinning" sans style and family standard socks can be part of that look.

If it's anything like Orillia on Lake Couchiching I would think fishing is fairly popular. They have a lot of salmon fishing but that's usually later in September. Owen Sound is on Georgian Bay so I presume there's lots of good fishing there.
Maybe they chartered a boat?

As a side note, chartered boats can be for all day, or half day. Likewise, the chartered boat can be "private" (one group only). Or, it can be "public" (open to more than one group or additional individuals until reaching capacity).

In either case, they would be recognized by the boat owner and possibly by others sharing the boat.

Maybe they chartered a boat?

As a side note, chartered boats can be for all day, or half day. Likewise, the chartered boat can be "private" (one group only). Or, it can be "public" (open to more than one group or additional individuals until reaching capacity).

In either case, they would be recognized by the boat owner and possibly by others sharing the boat.
They are not wearing the right footwear for chartering a boat. If they had, even with the wrong footwear, I'm sure the boat charter would have come forward already.

When it came time to pay the bill, they began to argue and make a scene over a round of beverages despite there being evidence at the bar that the bill was accurate.''
They desperately need jail time.

A significant number of these thieves have jobs, reputations, and families. Using the mafia adage of "kill one, frighten many.", a few well publicized arrests would put a big lid on those thefts.

A waitress at the sports bar that I frequent told me that she must pay for dine and dash meals. She then added that it happens alot on big game nights for football and soccer.

For the religiously inclined, the Bible has warnings about cheating workers... "All the workers you've exploited and cheated cry out for judgment. James 5:4

Getting off my soap box, but dining and dashing bothers me alot. I have had credit cards not work and have ran out of cash. I just apologize, leave my ID at the bar or restaurant, then return and pay up with tip asap. No owner has ever given me a problem regarding it.

Last edited:
They are not wearing the right footwear for chartering a boat. If they had, even with the wrong footwear, I'm sure the boat charter would have come forward already.
I don't fish, and my boat chartering son is not home to ask....

What are you referring to regarding shoes? Maybe marring the boat deck with skid marks like can happen on basket ball courts?

I don't fish, and my boat chartering son is not home to ask.

What are you referring to regarding shoes? Maybe marring the deck with skid marks?
I don't have a boat (but I have friends who do) and boat shoes are the best thing to wear. They are easy to get on and off and mitigate slippery conditions on the boat when you get wet. Think Sperry Topsiders. Easy to get in and out of when you anchor off shore and dive into the lake and easy to get back into without laces, etc. And no boat owner wants black skid marks on their decks.

Boat Shoes and Shoe Etiquette on a Boat | JBYS.

<modsnip - quoted post was snipped>

If Sharif Rahman in Canada dies from his injuries, the three men involved could be charged with murder or at least manslaughter !
As they should be.
Omo.

Sharif Rahman died last August, in the week following this incident.

ETA: It’s noted on page 1.

Last edited by a moderator:
<modsnip - quoted post was difference case, caused confusion>

...A week later. I googled, thinking that might have been a new emerging "challenge", but no. Dine and dash does not appear to be a common behavior in North America. Even being unhappy customers, there are so many ways to express one's "meh," besides fighting and a deadly head trauma. (Being unhappy with the food and leaving bad reviews is common, dine and dash, very rare, per all known forums. Even as a challenge, it never took off). There is a FB of the Curry House, I don't know if it is OK to link is, but it is open and easily searchable. The community of Owen Bay appears very supportive of the business. (Northern Ontario seems to be a wonderful place for tourism, too sad that it happened there.)

Last edited by a moderator:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LightInv
Back