Canada- Sharif Rahman, owner of the Curry House restaurant, suffered brain injury after assault by 3 non-paying men, Owen Sound, Ontario, 17 Aug. '23

dotr

Reaction score
rbbm
Sharif Rahman, owner of The Curry House, suffered a brain injury in the assault Aug. 17 outside his restaurant and has been unresponsive since.

His brother Anis Rahman, who manages the restaurant, said Sharif asked three men who were eating inside the restaurant to pay because it was closing soon.

The men argued, didn’t pay and left the restaurant, Anas said. Owen Sound police said the men assaulted Sharif Rahman outside the store and fled the area.

Police are looking a man about five feet 10 inches to six feet two inches tall with a medium build and short dark hair. He was wearing a blue T-shirt, black shorts and black running shoes.''

The second suspect is of a similar height and build and has short brown hair that was longer on top. He was wearing an orange T-shirt, black shorts and black running shoes.

A man in his late 40s to mid 50s with curly hair is also being sought, police said. He was wearing shorts and a T-shirt.

Investigators believe the men got into a grey or blue 2000s model Ford Escape or Mazda Tribute and left the area.

Anyone who has more information or video recordings is asked to contact Owen Sound police at 519-376-1234 or Det.-Const. Geoff Bridgeman at gbridgeman@owensoundpolice.com.
Sharif Rahman
Sharif Rahman, who owns The Curry House restaurant in Owen Sound, is fighting for his life after he was injured in an attack Aug. 17. Photo taken on Feb. 13, 2017. (Postmedia Network file photo)

''On Wednesday evening, a walking vigil through downtown Owen Sound attracted hundreds of people, who carried candles, cellphones and flashlights along a route that passed by The Curry House, where a large display of flowers and notes adorn the front step.''

''Another event, called Drumming for Sharif, is planned on Friday, from 2:30 to 4 p.m. at the farmers’ market.

“We invite you to drum with us to recognize the power of community – the power to heal, the power to unite, to support a local family and take a stand against prejudice,” it says on the Drumming for Sharif events page on Facebook. The event is giving people the opportunity to drum, talk, and/or pray, the page states.''

1692968196624.png
People gather at the Owen Sound Farmers’ Market at the end of a walking vigil through the city’s downtown for Sharif Rahman on Wednesday, Aug. 23, 2023. Rahman was assaulted outside The Curry House, a downtown restaurant he owns, on Aug. 17. (Rob Gowan/Postmedia Network)

1692968328108.png
Owen Sound police have released photos of two suspects wanted in an attack on a restaurant owner Aug. 17 that left him on life support. (Owen Sound police)

''The front steps of Sharif Rahman’s restaurant are overflowing with flowers and notes of support, as the Owen Sound community tries to come to grips with a vicious assault that left the recent immigrant with life-threatening injuries.

“Sharif, I think, was pure to the core. He was generous, he was kind, he was questioning. He had a global perspective, but he was always looking to make his community better,” said his friend Mary Anne Alton.

The 44-year-old Rahman, who moved to Owen Sound from Bangladesh in 2015, was attempting to close up his restaurant on Aug. 17 around 9 p.m., and settle up with his final customers.

Then those patrons, three men, turned on Rahman, allegedly pushing and striking him and his nephew.

His nephew suffered minor injuries, but Rahman suffered serious, life threatening head injuries, and has not yet regained consciousness.''

'I know right now, Sharif is in a very dire situation. I believe in the power of prayer and in miracles, and I’m looking forward to Sharif regaining consciousness and knowing this entire community is behind him,” said Alton, whose known Rahman for the past six years.''

“This was a man who was beloved by his community, and they want to show, they want to do something for the family, in whatever little, small way they can,” said Meder, who works at the local radio station.''
the-curry-house-in-owen-sound-1-6529963-1692737759957.png
Cards and flowers are seen outside The Curry House in Owen Sound on August 22, 2023, after its owner, Sharif Rahman, was assaulted at his restaurant on August 17. He’s in critical condition. Some of the notes posted read “We are so sorry this happened to you. We love your restaurant,” and “Your community loves you.” (Scott Miller/CTV News London)

''Owen Sound police are looking for vehicle or surveillance video from Thursday night in an attempt to apprehend the three man responsible for this assault that they say happened just outside The Curry House, almost exactly where flowers now adorn the restaurant’s front steps.

“He said to me once, I’m so grateful to be here, and you know, we are even more grateful to have him here. Can’t wait for him to be back here, to make our community better,” said Alton''.
1692968695050.png

Last edited:
''Last Updated Aug 25, 2023, 4:51PM EDT. rbbm
An Owen Sound business owner has died from his injuries after he was allegedly brutally beaten by three suspects outside his restaurant last week.
Owen Sound Police put out a release on Thursday detailing the alleged incident that took place around 9:15 p.m. on Aug. 17 near 10th Street East and 2nd Avenue East.
It is alleged that three male suspects went to The Curry House and ended up getting into a dispute with the restaurant’s owner. Police say the three men assaulted the victim on the sidewalk outside the restaurant.
The victim was taken to London Health Sciences hospital with critical injuries. Family and friends say 44-year-old Sharif Rahman had been on life support since last week’s attack.
He died in hospital on Friday morning, according to Owen Sound city officials.''
1693000079133.png

'Police say they are aware of a third suspect who is described as a white male in his late 40s to mid-50s with curly hair. He was last seen wearing shorts and a t-shirt.
Suspect vehicles have been identified as a gray or blue 2000s model Ford Escape or Mazda Tribute.

Anyone with further information is being asked to contact police.'

''Police said Thursday this vehicle was seen leaving the scene of the attack in front of The Curry House in downtown Owen Sound. (Owen Sound Police Service)
The two suspects are believed to be in their mid-20s to mid-30s, police said.

They described the first suspect as:
  • White, between 5-foot-10 and 6-foot-2, with a medium build and short, dark hair. He was wearing a light blue T-shirt, black shorts and black running shoes at the time of the attack.
The second suspect is described as:
  • White, between 5-foot-10 and 6-foot-2, with a medium build and short, brown hair that's longer on the top. He was wearing an orange T-shirt, black shorts and black running shoes.''
Images of men running, blue shirt on the left, orange shirt on the right

Owen Sound police released these images of two suspects leaving the scene of the attack. (Owen Sound Police Service)
The third suspect is described as:

• White, with curly hair, wearing shorts and a T-shirt, and likely in his late 40s to mid-50s.
Police said the vehicle in question appears grey or blue, and is an early 2000s model Ford Escape or Mazda Tribute.

''Rahman's death 'bad irony' for man 'always giving back'​

Mark Barbosa, a local Realtor and a friend of the family, announced the death on Friday morning on the web page for an online fundraiser.

Barbosa later spoke to CBC London and said Rahman, who was kind and had a big smile, embodied "the peaceful, humble lifestyle," and genuinely enjoyed entertaining and pleasing his restaurant clientele with his food.

"He would help anybody with anything, and he did. He was a supporter of charities. He cooked in his kitchen for homeless places. He was always giving back to his community, and so this is such a bad irony could happen to such a peaceful person."

Barbosa said he first met Rahman when he sold him a house and they "just clicked." From there, Barbosa and his wife were regular customers at The Curry House and they even had an anniversary dinner there.

Barbosa said Rahman was a pacifist and he doubts he'll ever understand how anyone could assault the restaurant owner, especially over an unpaid dinner bill.

"Will anybody ever know? I don't know," he said. "I do know this: Sharif would not have forced the issue if they refused to pay. I don't believe he would have forced an altercation.

"I believe he would have just said, 'OK. God bless. Maybe come back one day. Just go. He did not make any kind of scene, and I think he got cornered or dragged out, and those guys were looking for trouble."

''Barbosa later spoke to CBC London and said Rahman, who was kind and had a big smile, embodied "the peaceful, humble lifestyle," and genuinely enjoyed entertaining and pleasing his restaurant clientele with his food.

"He would help anybody with anything, and he did. He was a supporter of charities. He cooked in his kitchen for homeless places. He was always giving back to his community, and so this is such a bad irony could happen to such a peaceful person."
1693061752145.png
1693061792190.png
"I believe he would have just said, 'OK. God bless. Maybe come back one day. Just go. He did not make any kind of scene, and I think he got cornered or dragged out, and those guys were looking for trouble."

Rahman leaves behind his brother, a nephew who work at the restaurant, as well as his wife and six-year-old daughter.''

They described the first suspect as:
  • White, between 5-foot-10 and 6-foot-2, with a medium build and short, dark hair. He was wearing a light blue T-shirt, black shorts and black running shoes at the time of the attack.
The second suspect is described as:
  • White, between 5-foot-10 and 6-foot-2, with a medium build and short, brown hair that's longer on the top. He was wearing an orange T-shirt, black shorts and black running shoes.
The third suspect is described as:
  • White, with curly hair, wearing shorts and a T-shirt, and likely in his late 40s to mid-50s.
Police said the vehicle in question appears grey or blue, and is an early 2000s model Ford Escape or Mazda Tribute. ''

Absolutely horrifying. Hope they're caught and charged with murder. There must be more surveillance showing their faces and a license plate.
Good point and let's hope the police seek out the camera data ASAP before it is erased. IMO, there is a good chance that these guys were just visiting the area and returned home to the south via highway 10 or 6. All gas station cameras should be checked along those routes as they likely needed to gas up. Just my thoughts. This is just such a terrible thing to have happened to a peaceful man like Sahrif Rahman.

Good point and let's hope the police seek out the camera data ASAP before it is erased. IMO, there is a good chance that these guys were just visiting the area and returned home to the south via highway 10 or 6. All gas station cameras should be checked along those routes as they likely needed to gas up. Just my thoughts. This is just such a terrible thing to have happened to a peaceful man like Sahrif Rahman.

What a deplorable tragedy. I am so sad for the family. I'm hoping that they were residents of Owen Sound and that they will be recognized quickly, although more than a week has gone by already. Owen Sound isn't exactly a destination town but many people pass through on their way north or south. God bless this poor grieving family.

Aug 31 2023
''Owen Sound’s mayor said the city will look into installing more cameras and lighting downtown in the wake of a fatal assault on restaurant owner Sharif Rahman outside his business.''

“Chief Ambrose confirmed that Owen Sound Police Services will continue to have officers on foot and bike patrol throughout the River District and have recently applied for grant funding to increase police presence and address issues of crime and recidivism,” the city’s release said.''

Updated Sept. 29, 2023 Kim Phillips
''Ontario Provincial Police and the Owen Sound Police Service are hoping someone out there holds the key to information that leads to the arrests of three men accused in the death of Sharif Rahman last month.

"Your tip could make a difference," police noted in a release on Friday.

Rahman died following an assault outside his restaurant on the 900 block of 2nd Avenue East on August 17.

Police say three patrons of his establishment attacked the 44-year-old man after a dispute over the bill.''

''THE SUSPECTS​

1696030830876.png
The suspects are described as Caucasian men.

Suspect one is five feet 10 inches to six feet two inches tall with a medium build and short dark hair. He wore a light blue T-shirt, black shorts and black running shoes.

The second is five feet 10 inches to six feet two inches tall with a medium build and short dark hair, which is longer on top. He wore an orange T-shirt, black shorts and black running shoes.

Both are believed to be in their mid-20s to mid-30s.''
''Police say the third suspect has curly hair and wore shorts and a T-shirt. He may be in his late 40s to mid-50s.

They believe the suspect vehicle is a grey or blue 2000s-model Ford Escape or Mazda Tribute.''

1696031010052.png
Sharif Rahman leaves behind his wife, six-year-old daughter and a nephew who works at the Owen Sound restaurant. (Submitted by Shayela Nasrin

I thought this recognition by the local YMCA might be of interest to some:
I continue to be flabbergasted that a thorough vehicle registration check has come up with nothing and leads me to suspect that one was never really done. All we need is one competent and motivated detective to take this case on. Maybe Owen Sound Police just don't have the resources but surely the OPP have the expertise and the resources to solve this.
Anybody know Doug Ford? He's the sort that could put a fire under this.
Just wanted to post something as it seems that this case is going cold and Sharif Rahman will be soon forgotten by most.

Wondering if DNA was obtained from any of the utensils, napkins etc. the poi used when eating food at the restaurant?, imo, speculation.
Dec 7 2023 Alessandra Carneiro
1702662925312.png
''As a community continues to mourn the death of Owen Sound business owner Sharif Rahman, a scholarship to honour his memory will live on.

The donation made by an anonymous donor will go to the Community Foundation of Grey Bruce to support a high school student living in Owen Sound.

The scholarship will be awarded to newcomers to Canada, and potential applicants will be assessed based on their academic records and financial needs, with the foundation adding that the scholarship will also go to a student, which follows Rahman's generous spirit.''
1702662982240.png

I thought this recognition by the local YMCA might be of interest to some:
I continue to be flabbergasted that a thorough vehicle registration check has come up with nothing and leads me to suspect that one was never really done. All we need is one competent and motivated detective to take this case on. Maybe Owen Sound Police just don't have the resources but surely the OPP have the expertise and the resources to solve this.
Anybody know Doug Ford? He's the sort that could put a fire under this.
Just wanted to post something as it seems that this case is going cold and Sharif Rahman will be soon forgotten by most.

I wouldn't assume that drawing a blank on the vehicle registration means that the police have done nothing. It's very possible that the plates were stolen or the vehicle stolen or changes made on the VIN etc.
Let's continue to hope that these murderers will be found.

My gut is that the two suspects are not from the Owen Sound area. Owen Sound is a common stopping ground for people from the Toronto area travelling to the Bruce Peninsula for short trips, or east-west to get to Sauble Beach (west) or the Blue Mountain area (east).

The downtown is very sleepy at night, so I'm not surprised by the lack of witnesses or limited CCTV footage.

EB447478-3449-42A9-ACF7-189AAF13529D.jpeg
Photo from: Police renew appeal for tips in Sharif Rahman homicide investigation

Their matching shoes and shorts are odd to me. Black socks and shoes with shorts in August? And the third suspect is possibly 20 years older? Their father, maybe? Older co-worker?

Maybe they passed through from Toronto, but for guys possibly in their mid-20s or 30s, they don’t look like typical Torontonians to me. There’s something uncosmopolitan about their look, imo. I’d expect something more stylish or hip, or the complete opposite. These guys look clean cut and the shorts and shoes almost look like part of a uniform. Co-workers, maybe?

The victim was such a great man and it’s unspeakably tragic. I really want this solved, and I think it’s possible.

My gut is that the two suspects are not from the Owen Sound area. Owen Sound is a common stopping ground for people from the Toronto area travelling to the Bruce Peninsula for short trips, or east-west to get to Sauble Beach (west) or the Blue Mountain area (east).

The downtown is very sleepy at night, so I'm not surprised by the lack of witnesses or limited CCTV footage.

there's actually three suspects but I agree they are out-of-towners who thought they could easily dine and dash in a small town JMO

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LightInv
Back