Food and Recipes while under Coronavirus quarantine #6

Status
Not open for further replies.
FYI: Recall Alert

"The affected products are being recalled from the marketplace due to possible Listeria monocytogenes contamination, the CFIA said in its food recall warning. "

"In an email to Metroland, Loblaw Companies Limited confirmed Wednesday night the President's Choice salad kits were sold at Real Canadian Superstore, Fortinos, Loblaws, Valu-Mart, Your Independent Grocer, Zehrs, No Frills, Affiliate, Wholesale Club and Shoppers Drug Mart in Ontario."

I had a 12-hour fasting blood draw this morning prior to my annual physical next week. After visiting the lab, I had a hair appointment, after which we went to breakfast at Shine Cafe in the same shopping plaza as the salon. I love the Benedicts at Shine and have had all but one variety several times. Waitress said that Cajun Benedict is her favorite and that it's not overly spicy, so I decided to give it a try. The English muffin halves were topped with thick slices of Andouille sausage and perfectly poached eggs, Hollandaise and crispy breakfast potatoes on the side. I could only eat half and will finish the rest for dinner. Shine Cafe in Troy Michigan

I'm not a huge football fan, but I share the excitement when the big game day arrives. Former neighbors used to have an annual Super Bowl party that we attended a few times before they started spending winters in Florida and have now moved locally due to his failing health. We always took a bottle of wine and some type of appetizer when we were invited to their Super Bowl shindig. This year, it will be just the two of us, and we've decided on two appetizers for noshing throughout the big game. We're going to make our own 7-layer dip with refried beans, chopped avocado and Roma tomatoes, sour cream, cheddar cheese, black olives, scallion, fresh lime juice, and our own seasoning creation served with tortilla chips. We'll also assemble mini bagel Margherita pizzas with pizza sauce, fresh mozzarella, and fresh julienned basil.

What are your plans for Super Bowl Sunday, and what will you be serving/eating?

Yorkshire pudding—yum!
You might enjoy this article and recipe by Kenji Lopez-Alt (I love Kenji) about Yorkshire Pudding. It’s an interesting read, as he tests different methods to examine the differences in how they turn out.
I enjoyed the comments by readers under the article, too.

What are your tips?

The puds look really good in that article, but it seems to debunk the tips I would give which are get the oil in the tins really hot (at least 10 mins in the oven at 200C) and then don't open the door at all once they go in.

My recipe for 2 medium size puds (about 5" diameter when cooked) which have come out great every time so far

35g plain flour
1 egg
62ml milk
salt&pepper

Mix egg, salt and pepper into flour in a bowl with a fork

Gradually add the milk stirring with the fork

Whisk it for about 20 seconds with electric whisk

put 1 tsp vegetable oil per pud in tins and pre-heat for 10-15 mins at 200C in oven

Split the mix across two tins (ours are about 4" wide and 1" deep) and cook 27 mins @200C and don't open the door until they are done

I was born and raised in (and have now returned to) Yorkshire, in England, and one of my key achievements in the first lockdown of 2020 was to actually learn how to make proper home-made Yorkshire Puddings! Prior to that it was inferior frozen ones, or distant memories of the ones my mother made.
I adore Yorkshire puddings but don't make them frequently. I usually make individual puddings when we're having Prime Rib, but I skipped them this past holiday season. I make my Yorkshire puddings in muffin pans or special popover pans that I bought several years ago. It took me a while to perfect Yorkshire pudding, but I now have the hang of it, and they mostly turn out well.

DH and I enjoyed Yorkshire during our travels through Great Britain some years ago. A favorite memory was afternoon tea at the original Betty's Tea Room in Yorkshire. We also love the All Creatures Great and Small series that is filmed in Yorkshire and is featured on public TV here in the States.

Last edited:
I adore Yorkshire puddings but don't make them frequently. I usually make individual puddings when we're having Prime Rib, but I skipped them this past holiday season. I make my Yorkshire puddings in muffin pans or special popover pans that I bought several years ago. It took me a while to perfect Yorkshire pudding, but I now have the hang of it, and they mostly turn out well.

DH and I enjoyed Yorkshire during our travels through Great Britain some years ago. A favorite memory was afternoon tea at the original Betty's Tea Room in Yorkshire. We also love the All Creatures Great and Small series that is filmed in Yorkshire and is featured on public TV here in the States.

I'm glad you enjoyed Yorkshire.

Apart from a brief business trip to Florida, my only time in the States was in Texas where I discovered frozen margaritas and chicken fried steak ( delicious but not very healthy - like yorkshire puddings).

My work travels have taken me to far northern Indiana and far southern Indiana. Each of the two cities I have been working in are very near wonderful Amish restaurants. So twice this week I was able to take my lunch at Amish buffets.

If you are ever in southern Indiana my favorite Amish buffet is in Montgomery. It’s called Gasthof, and they have the best noodles, dressing, hand-peeled mashed potatoes, stewed tomatoes, cobblers, puddings, and more. Truly food that tastes just like my grandma used to make.

My work travels have taken me to far northern Indiana and far southern Indiana. Each of the two cities I have been working in are very near wonderful Amish restaurants. So twice this week I was able to take my lunch at Amish buffets.

If you are ever in southern Indiana my favorite Amish buffet is in Montgomery. It’s called Gasthof, and they have the best noodles, dressing, hand-peeled mashed potatoes, stewed tomatoes, cobblers, puddings, and more. Truly food that tastes just like my grandma used to make.
I have been to the Gasthof. They have a awesome buffet. It is located in a country setting. They also, have homemade bread, cakes, pies and cookies you can purchase to take home.

I am craving fried chicken now,

I have been to the Gasthof. They have a awesome buffet. It is located in a country setting. They also, have homemade bread, cakes, pies and cookies you can purchase to take home.

I am craving fried chicken now,

They have all my favorite comfort food: mashed potatoes, sawmill gravy, old fashioned dressing, stewed tomatoes, Amish roll butter.

I was on my lunch break so I didn’t have time to do any shopping. The gift shop is full of unique items, and as you mentioned, baked goods.

I had a 12-hour fasting blood draw this morning prior to my annual physical next week. After visiting the lab, I had a hair appointment, after which we went to breakfast at Shine Cafe in the same shopping plaza as the salon. I love the Benedicts at Shine and have had all but one variety several times. Waitress said that Cajun Benedict is her favorite and that it's not overly spicy, so I decided to give it a try. The English muffin halves were topped with thick slices of Andouille sausage and perfectly poached eggs, Hollandaise and crispy breakfast potatoes on the side. I could only eat half and will finish the rest for dinner. Shine Cafe in Troy Michigan

I'm not a huge football fan, but I share the excitement when the big game day arrives. Former neighbors used to have an annual Super Bowl party that we attended a few times before they started spending winters in Florida and have now moved locally due to his failing health. We always took a bottle of wine and some type of appetizer when we were invited to their Super Bowl shindig. This year, it will be just the two of us, and we've decided on two appetizers for noshing throughout the big game. We're going to make our own 7-layer dip with refried beans, chopped avocado and Roma tomatoes, sour cream, cheddar cheese, black olives, scallion, fresh lime juice, and our own seasoning creation served with tortilla chips. We'll also assemble mini bagel Margherita pizzas with pizza sauce, fresh mozzarella, and fresh julienned basil.

What are your plans for Super Bowl Sunday, and what will you be serving/eating?
It’s always nice to treat yourself to breakfast after having to fast for a lab, isn’t it?

I’m not into football at all, but my other half is. At any rate, it’s always a good excuse to have some good eats. No party, but my husband says he’ll smoke a
tri-tip, and we’ll slice and have it in French rolls as a yummy sandwich. I’ll make macaroni salad. A Mexican market near us makes awesome salsa verde* which we will eat with their tortilla chips made from fried tortilla wedges. Maybe cut up some veggies as crudités.

(* We’ve made salsa verde before, but it never tastes as good as this market’s own version, for some reason. The ingredients on the label reveal nothing unusual, so it is puzzling. Must be the proportions, only thing I can guess.)

The puds look really good in that article, but it seems to debunk the tips I would give which are get the oil in the tins really hot (at least 10 mins in the oven at 200C) and then don't open the door at all once they go in.

My recipe for 2 medium size puds (about 5" diameter when cooked) which have come out great every time so far

35g plain flour
1 egg
62ml milk
salt&pepper

Mix egg, salt and pepper into flour in a bowl with a fork

Gradually add the milk stirring with the fork

Whisk it for about 20 seconds with electric whisk

put 1 tsp vegetable oil per pud in tins and pre-heat for 10-15 mins at 200C in oven

Split the mix across two tins (ours are about 4" wide and 1" deep) and cook 27 mins @200C and don't open the door until they are done
Sounds so good! Thank you for sharing your recipe!

Actually, Kenji agrees with you about starting with a hot pan. He wrote:
Verdict: True (sort of). Your puddings will come out slightly higher and better-shaped with a hot tin, but it's not the end of the world if you forget to preheat it. (Just don't try it in a full-sized skillet.)”

They have all my favorite comfort food: mashed potatoes, sawmill gravy, old fashioned dressing, stewed tomatoes, Amish roll butter.

I was on my lunch break so I didn’t have time to do any shopping. The gift shop is full of unique items, and as you mentioned, baked goods.
The restaurant sounds great. I didn’t know what sawmill gravy was, but I looked it up and it seems to be the white type of gravy that usually has sausage bits in it and served over a biscuit—is that right?

Last edited:
Another important recall: An Ann Arbor Michigan company has issued a recall on their brownie mix.

Zingerman's Bakehouse has recalled its Black Magic Brownies and issued a warning that undeclared walnuts may be found in the products.

The company, based in Ann Arbor, Michigan, released a statement announcing the recall on Thursday, which was posted to the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) website the following day.

The restaurant sounds great. I didn’t know what sawmill gravy was, but I looked it up and it seems to be the white type of gravy that usually has sausage bits in it and served over a biscuit—is that right?

Sawmill gravy is a thick, creamy white gravy made with milk, flour, and butter, and seasoned with a little salt and fresh black pepper. It doesn’t have meat in it.

Sawmill gravy is thicker than a brown gravy or mushroom gravy. Sometimes it is made with half & half or part cream/part milk.

Sawmill gravy is a thick, creamy white gravy made with milk, flour, and butter, and seasoned with a little salt and fresh black pepper. It doesn’t have meat in it.

Sawmill gravy is thicker than a brown gravy or mushroom gravy. Sometimes it is made with half & half or part cream/part milk.

I grew up eating sawmill gravy, but we called it milk gravy. Extra good if made with bacon grease.

This kind of gravy just sparked a memory from my childhood! It sounds just like what we’d call simply “white sauce” but I have since learned a fancier name is bechamel. The only time my mom would make it was after Easter, to use up the hard-boiled Easter eggs. She’d make the white sauce and put in slices of the hard-boiled eggs. Then, we’d eat it on toasted bread. She called it Eggs a la Goldenrod which is what the Betty Crocker cookbook called it. I loved it as a child!

This kind of gravy just sparked a memory from my childhood! It sounds just like what we’d call simply “white sauce” but I have since learned a fancier name is bechamel. The only time my mom would make it was after Easter, to use up the hard-boiled Easter eggs. She’d make the white sauce and put in slices of the hard-boiled eggs. Then, we’d eat it on toasted bread. She called it Eggs a la Goldenrod which is what the Betty Crocker cookbook called it. I loved it as a child!
Interesting recipe!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member