Abby & Libby - The Delphi Murders - Richard Allen Arrested - #176

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fish
Speaking of fish….

A catfisher using A_shots contacted Libby.
RA was on the bridge looking at fish.
RL went shopping for tropical fish.

All on the day of the murders.

Assigning no meaning or connections with the above.
Just a random observation of another of the many oddities in this case.
Fish : (

I'm not convinced he did anything at all but be at the wrong place at the wrong time. Nothing about this case makes sense. I just read a post that said he confessed to his wife no less than 5 times. Why would someone confess 5 times? If he were my husband, the first time he confessed would be the last time I spoke to him.

But she's going to give him 4 more excruciating conversations? It doesn't make sense.
I believe the way it was said it happened was...it was one call where he talked to both his wife and mother. He was talking to his wife when the call ended. She hung up on him. AJMO

Defense files an (amended) Transcript request from June 15, 2023 Safekeeping Hearing.
(FWIW, not sure we've seen the original of this "amended" motion.)

View attachment 484505
Ok I'm confused first off as to whether they asked for this transcript last year and never got it? Or got and it was lost somewhere in the subsequent return to State, then transfer of files to new attorneys, then return to State and transfer of files to the old/new attorneys once again?

Must be something said in that hearing they now want to revisit.

Here is a link to Delphi court docs released in June 2023 for anyone interested:

@Emma Peel I did a "Praecipe" search through the court filings and came up with these.
If we can find the documents, we could be sure of what transcript/s they've been asking for.
I'm looking for any info on the June 15 hearing.
08/08/2023Praecipe for Transcript Filed
Praecipe for Transcript
Filed By: Allen, Richard M.
File Stamp: 08/08/2023
08/08/2023Administrative Event
Praecipe for Transcript to Allen County D05 Court Reporter and Felony Judicial Assistant.
10/26/2023Praecipe for Transcript Filed
Praecipe for Transcript
File Stamp: 10/25/2023
10/27/2023Praecipe for Transcript Filed
Praecipe
File Stamp: 10/27/2023
11/02/2023Praecipe for Transcript Filed
Defendant's Motion for Transcripts
File Stamp: 11/02/2023
02/19/2024Amended Pleading Filed
(Amended) Praecipe for Transcript
File Stamp: 02/19/2024
02/19/2024Praecipe for Transcript Filed
Praecipe for Transcript

Just because AB& BR are lawyers doesn’t mean they shouldn’t have their contempt charges addressed immediately. Imagine if everyone could avoid facing trial because of their day jobs.

I thought this thread was about Abby & Libby. These girls were assaulted in life and assaulted in death. I am struggling on how people can justify the actions of the defense team and cohorts.
I assume the victim’s families are waiting to see what facts come out during the contempt trial of AB & BR and the trial of MW but I suspect civil charges will be filed shortly after.
Any parent should be able to understand the deep anguish of knowing a child was stripped and assaulted then photographs were sent around electronically like a memes. All because people are entrusted with them left them laying around/shared willingly without regard to safe measures.
Look into Vanessa Bryant’s case. People were fired and sued for multiple millions. The county and individuals were found liable for millions all because first responders passed around photos of the deceased from an accident.
Everyone here will die one day. No one should have to worry about having their final moment being shared with strangers for kicks.
Abby and Libby were girls and they deserved to be treated with dignity in death.

Here is a link to Delphi court docs released in June 2023 for anyone interested:

@Emma Peel I did a "Praecipe" search through the court filings and came up with these.
If we can find the documents, we could be sure of what transcript/s they've been asking for.
I'm looking for any info on the June 15 hearing.
08/08/2023Praecipe for Transcript Filed
Praecipe for Transcript
File Stamp: 08/08/2023
08/08/2023Administrative Event
Praecipe for Transcript to Allen County D05 Court Reporter and Felony Judicial Assistant.
10/26/2023Praecipe for Transcript Filed
Praecipe for Transcript
File Stamp: 10/25/2023
10/27/2023Praecipe for Transcript Filed
Praecipe
File Stamp: 10/27/2023
11/02/2023Praecipe for Transcript Filed
Defendant's Motion for Transcripts
File Stamp: 11/02/2023
02/19/2024Amended Pleading Filed
(Amended) Praecipe for Transcript
02/19/2024Praecipe for Transcript Filed
Praecipe for Transcript
Good stuff.
Thank you @Gemmie and @FrostedGlass. Emma luvs facts. So resourceful!

The thing is, what about a woman who absolutely believes in her husband’s innocence? Yes, RA “confessed” but I haven’t heard it and I suspect it was under a great deal of pressure, in that he perceived his family or even he himself was in imminent danger of harm, no matter if it was real or merely perceived.

If my late husband had been arrested for murder, and I knew (or absolutely believed in my heart) there was no way he did this heinous act and he then confessed to me on the phone, I too would have hung up, because I would have immediately suspected something was very, VERY wrong, and I would want to protect him from saying more. KA is not a stupid woman. She stands by her husband because she believes he is innocent. RA has not been convicted, at least not in a court of law.

As well, if any members on this thread had a loved one falsely accused in a prison (where he/she didn’t even belong at this point in time), guarded by dubious characters, medicated with God only knows what, losing weight by the week, how would you feel? I hope none here have to experience that circumstance, helpless, unable to comfort and support that loved one. All, JMO.
ETA - If 4 defence attorneys believe him to be innocent, why shouldn’t his wife?

Or

She believed him and hung up horrified.

Anyway it’s very common for women to know what their guys did but there they are still on the outside waiting and putting money in the guy’s account. Some don’t care what the guys are charged with they are going to hang with their guy.

RA got his confessing over with and never talked or looked at the wife again reportedly.

His health improved after his confessions to the murders “as charged”; it must have been a relief to do so.
RA has not been evaluated as incompetent. He is reported to be in fine physical condition. The scary guards have kept their distance.

There is no reason not to believe what RA says to his wife and his mother in their one on one phone calls.

After the April 3rd confession RA dumped his wife:

Jun 16 2023
Allen's wife, Kathy Allen, reportedly burst into tears at the sight of him as he was led into the courtroom.
Also present for the hearing were Aine Caine and Kevin Greenlee, the journalist-lawyer couple behind the investigative true-crime podcast, The Murder Sheet.
The pair told The U.S. Sun that as Allen was led by officers past his wife he offered Kathy no acknowledgement whatsoever.
"I will tell you when he walked by her my eyes were fixed on him," said Greenlee.
"Because in the past, in previous hearings, he usually acknowledges her in some way: his eyes will meet her and on one occasion he mouthed the words, 'I love you,' to her.
"But when he walked past her [on Thursday] it was really striking because there was no sign of any recognition at all.
"His face was just completely blank."

Delphi murders suspect Richard Allen ignores wife in court & leaves her in tears

June 29, 2023

A separate document revealed that Allen admitted to the murders on April 3, 2023, during a phone call with his wife. She ended the call abruptly, according to court documents.

“Investigators had the phone call transcribed and the transcription confirms that Richard Allen admits that he committed the murders of Abigail Williams and Liberty German,” the document said. “He admits several times within the phone call that he committed the offenses as charged.”

Prosecutors also wrote that Allen confessed to his mother during a phone call from jail.

Allen “has admitted that he committed the offenses that he is charged with no less than 5 times while talking to his wife and his mother on the public jail phones available at the Indiana Department of Corrections,” according to a state filing regarding Allen’s mental health records.
[…]
Prosecutors countered, however, that Allen’s behavior changed drastically after the April 3 admission. He hasn’t made a single phone call since then, and had to undergo a psychiatric evaluation.

By April 14, according to court documents, Allen’s strange behavior began to subside and he was eating and sleeping regularly once more.

Delphi documents: Richard Allen told wife he killed girls; investigators believe knife used in murders

RA is a legally detained suspect who will have his day in court to tell his story.
Defense attorneys are representing their client’s interests. It’s the job for which they’re paid.
There’s no comparison to a wife. One’s a job; the other is a women’s life.

all imo

Seems to me RA would be better served if AB and BR took on a couple prominent and death penalty certified lawyers to handle/expedite RA's case while they are dealing with the fruits of their actions. They'd probably have to pay them their fees collected from the State though or pay them out of their pockets That might not fly.

I sure hope AB and BR aren't using any funds they're being paid to defend RA in their own defense of contempt charges. There should be an accounting for keeping those funds separate. AJMO

Never have I seen such a case where a defendant's lawyer's actions have caused such pretrial legal trouble for themselves.
I believe they have to itemize each thing / time block they spend on RA's case when they submit their expense claims to to be paid.

I just noticed that Ward's avatar says they're on a break for Lent.
Brilliant!
I strongly endorse.
We do spend too much time here and by we I mean me and my arse and my very busy outbox. :p Happy President's Day all!

Last edited:
Ted Bundy’s wife didn’t stand by him, she married him in 1980 after he was already convicted/he was incarcerated and she likely suffered from hybristophilia.
Wait....wasn't she dating him for years before it became known he was killing people? IIRC, she stuck by him even after she found out about it.

Ausbrook is saying Mcleland filed the contempt charges incorrectly, and it should have been filed in a different court. This doesn’t mean it doesn’t affect the defense and their time, as it is still contempt charges they now need to defend themselves from instead of moving on with the trial, and still the court is meddling in the constitutional rights of a defendant by allowing this circus to continue. Especially when they are ignoring the law and protocol as they do so, as most judges wouldn’t even have a hearing for something filed incorrectly (and typically this would be another judge).
We don't know for certain that it was filed incorrectly, do we?

This should be about justice for Abby & Libby, not attacking the attorneys that are your adversaries in court. The law is pointless when courts do not follow it. Protocol exists for this exact reason.

JMHO
So it is the prosecution that is 'attacking' the other attorneys by filing adversarial motions? It seems to me that the defense team is doing that as well. Perhaps more so. IMO

Wait....wasn't she dating him for years before it became known he was killing people? IIRC, she stuck by him even after she found out about it.
There's confusion here between two different people, I think. Kloepfer and Boone. Boone was the one who ended up marrying Bundy during the trial through a legal quirk, a declaration in the courtroom. She had been connected with Bundy since Utah. Kloepfer was the one who was a single mother who had dated him for years, before his major crime spree.

MOO

This turns out to be a simple crime.

RSBM - I agree

Often times a big mystery is created simply because the perp got lucky in some way.

Sometimes the body takes years to turn up. Sometimes witnesses were genuinely confused about things.
Sometimes a clue was missed or the investigation sets off on a wild goose chase.

IMO this never was very complicated. In fact it is a classic of the abduction genre. There is a case in Germany right now where an american tourist sexually assaulted 2 women on a trail, murdered one, and one survived by pure luck. He didn't know them. it was purely opportunistic.

Investigators just had to find the right guy, but that can be tough when the victims are selected via opportunity.

We seem to have reached an odd lull in the trial. At this stage, the trial date is still months away.
You'd expect the defence to be moving ahead with pre-trial motions - especially another go at the unspent round. Even if they don't ask for a speedy trial - you'd expect discussions on scheduling a more sensible date?

We seem to have reached an odd lull in the trial. At this stage, the trial date is still months away.
You'd expect the defence to be moving ahead with pre-trial motions - especially another go at the unspent round. Even if they don't ask for a speedy trial - you'd expect discussions on scheduling a more sensible date?
When is the contempt hearing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member