Found Deceased GA - University of Georgia Laken Hope Riley, 22, found dead near University of Georgia intramural fields, foul play suspected, 22 Feb 2024

Last edited:

I sorta see this as being more simple than an immigration problem. So if he came here in Sept 2022 and never got in any trouble, never arrested, never committed a single crime, most of us would not bat an eye. The trouble is, he did committ a crime and he was arrested in NY and somehow that wasn't flagged and it didn't prevent him from commiting another crime 5 months later. THAT arrest in Sept 2023 should have began a process that would deport him. If you come here to commit crimes, then that should result in a one way ticket out of here. Was he held accountable for what he did in NY? What child did he harm and why was that okay? He also was driving w/out a license.. wonder why that was? Oh because he can't legally get a license if he isn't here legally in the first place. We have American citizens that get arrested and they fall right through the cracks too. I think this is the bigger issue. Violent criminals being let out and not held accountable when the first incident happens leads to more crime and in this case the death of a truly innocent victim. We need to get tougher on violent crime and when someone hear illegally gets arrested for a violent crime, there needs to be consequences. Same deal with his brother.. DUI and driving without a license.. yet he was freely roaming about and then he shoplifted and all this while having a fake green card. I don't understand how this can even happen.

I sorta see this as being more simple than an immigration problem. So if he came here in Sept 2022 and never got in any trouble, never arrested, never committed a single crime, most of us would not bat an eye. The trouble is, he did committ a crime and he was arrested in NY and somehow that wasn't flagged and it didn't prevent him from commiting another crime 5 months later. THAT arrest in Sept 2023 should have began a process that would deport him. If you come here to commit crimes, then that should result in a one way ticket out of here. Was he held accountable for what he did in NY? What child did he harm and why was that okay? He also was driving w/out a license.. wonder why that was? Oh because he can't legally get a license if he isn't here legally in the first place. We have American citizens that get arrested and they fall right through the cracks too. I think this is the bigger issue. Violent criminals being let out and not held accountable when the first incident happens leads to more crime and in this case the death of a truly innocent victim. We need to get tougher on violent crime and when someone hear illegally gets arrested for a violent crime, there needs to be consequences. Same deal with his brother.. DUI and driving without a license.. yet he was freely roaming about and then he shoplifted and all this while having a fake green card. I don't understand how this can even happen.
Yeah, I think most of us look at a murder case and ask “how could this have been prevented?”

Many times the answer is straightforward, as the offender has serious past crimes that should have meant he was behind bars at the time the crime was committed.

Here, we have a bit of a different situation. He’s here, and he’s allowed to stay here for the time being. Once he commits a crime though, especially when that crime endangers another, that’s where a massive failure occurs. This guy did that on at least two occasions, in two different states.

He should have been held for processing out.

I am interested in the financial picture. These brothers cross the border illegally in Texas. I assume they are not trust-fund ‘refugees.’ Somehow they are able to travel all the way to NYC. After one of them at least, is arrested for committing a crime…they have the funds to get ALL THE WAY to Georgia.

Then, VOILA! they have a deposit to rent an apartment. It is just a months rent or two and security deposit?

They must be paying the rent.

If they are driving without a license, they have a car.

If they are arrested for drunk driving, they can afford alcohol and both look well fed.

Mid morning, one brother has enough time on his hands to beat a girl to death.

So where are they employed or WHO exactly is paying for their lifestyles?

I'm not sure it's safe for females to run or hike. I can't believe I'm saying that.
There was a time when young women widely believed it was safe to hitchhike. Once you recognize the evil in the world, you are forced to live differently. It's a sad reality.
I think most women who do it, are well aware that any solo outings involves some level of risk from encountering a creepy dude. That's what we learned from hearing Little Red Riding Hood read to us as little girls.

I can't say for sure whether Hope Riley knew it, but it seems perhaps her friend, who so quickly contacted police, knew it.

So then it comes down to personal choice. Although these cases are, rightfully, big news, what never gets in the news is the millions of women whose lives are immeaurably enhanced and empowered by being able to exercise in nature, on their own schedule, in their own private space.

Hope was an expert runner, she likely ran every day for years. Are we telling women like her they can only run round and round the indoor track at the gym? Or only run matching the pace of slower runners, so she can be in a crowd?

It really is personal choice, IMO, to balance the actual risk vs actual reward. And, for sure, one can try to mitigate the perceived risk. But nothing is 100% safe.

JMO

I am curious about the timeline along with the route she took and wondering about the time of the 911 call that was hindered, was that Laken trying to get help?
Just looking at the way the law is written, there has to be evidence she either dialed 911, or attempted to do so. It's a misdemeanor, so the charge means nothing, but it does add to the picture of how this all went down.

It’s unfortunately complicated - - -
Currently, facilities are at capacity and Venezuela is blocking accepting deportations from US due to sanctions on Venezuela by US (per NewsNation).

Just looking at the way the law is written, there has to be evidence she either dialed 911, or attempted to do so. It's a misdemeanor, so the charge means nothing, but it does add to the picture of how this all went down.
I'm wondering if that's how they located her so quickly. If she made a 911 call and it perhaps only connected for a few seconds, would that still be recorded, and would a GPS location be accessible to authorities after the fact?

Thinking about Rachel Morin - it took them somewhere around 15 hours, if I recall correctly, to find her, and even then it was a local who spotted her, not LE.

Currently, facilities are at capacity and Venezuela is blocking accepting deportations from US due to sanctions on Venezuela by US (per NewsNation).
Yes, I agree. Also, in my understanding, his claiming fear of retribution if sent back, requires border agents, by law, to immediately stop processing his case for deportation. Questions and Answers: Credible Fear Screening | USCIS

Sometimes, when looking for who else is to blame for a predatory criminal attack, the answer is SNAFU.

JMO

The more I'm thinking about it, I think Laken called the friend from her run. Maybe she saw a creepy guy that she thought was following her and called her friend to tell her and stay on the phone with her for safety.

The fact that the friend called 911 to alert the authorities, makes me think she knew something was amiss. It was a weekday morning, a routine run and AT&T outage nationwide. Even if they had lunch plans or something and Laken didn't show up, college kids might dismiss it due to the technology glitch or might even drive to the lake themselves to check on her.

The fact that the friend called the Police to report a friend who had only been "missing" a short period of time makes me think there was more to the story. Creepy guy, screaming in background, phone went dead.

Plus, don't the Police just go looking for missing persons after 24 hours? The fact they raced over there so quickly is telling.

The more I'm thinking about it, I think Laken called the friend from her run. Maybe she saw a creepy guy that she thought was following her and called her friend to tell her and stay on the phone with her for safety.

The fact that the friend called 911 to alert the authorities, makes me think she knew something was amiss. It was a weekday morning, a routine run and AT&T outage nationwide. Even if they had lunch plans or something and Laken didn't show up, college kids might dismiss it due to the technology glitch or might even drive to the lake themselves to check on her.

The fact that the friend called the Police to report a friend who had only been "missing" a short period of time makes me think there was more to the story. Creepy guy, screaming in background, phone went dead.

Plus, don't the Police just go looking for missing persons after 24 hours? The fact they raced over there so quickly is telling.
Right. I mean, it was daylight, other people were out. What prompted the friend to immediately call 911 and not just go looking for her herself?

The 24 hour rule isn't a thing. Not sure whether it used to be, decades ago.

I am interested in the financial picture. These brothers cross the border illegally in Texas. I assume they are not trust-fund ‘refugees.’ Somehow they are able to travel all the way to NYC. After one of them at least, is arrested for committing a crime…they have the funds to get ALL THE WAY to Georgia.

Then, VOILA! they have a deposit to rent an apartment. It is just a months rent or two and security deposit?

They must be paying the rent.

If they are driving without a license, they have a car.

If they are arrested for drunk driving, they can afford alcohol and both look well fed.

Mid morning, one brother has enough time on his hands to beat a girl to death.

So where are they employed or WHO exactly is paying for their lifestyles?

Yeah and on top of that venezuela is not real close to the texas border, so had funds for that trip.

Jmo

Yes, I agree. Also, in my understanding, his claiming fear of retribution if sent back, requires border agents, by law, to immediately stop processing his case for deportation. Questions and Answers: Credible Fear Screening | USCIS

Sometimes, when looking for who else is to blame for a predatory criminal attack, the answer is SNAFU.

JMO
Bbm.
JMO, but he may have committed other crimes where he's from, and the LE there and maybe families of his victims want justice ?
He had a fresh start here, but couldn't restrain his criminal tendencies ?
Omo.

Bbm.
JMO, but he may have committed other crimes where he's from, and the LE there and maybe families of his victims want justice ?
Omo.
I wondered the same thing! Remember Danelo Cavalcante, who escaped from a PA prison and was on the run for 2 weeks in Sept 2023? He was wanted for murder in Brazil, and somehow managed to escape from there to PA.

Yes, that just happened two days ago. Venezuela stops deportation flights from US

These brothers have been arrested several times since they have been in America. So many questions as to why they have been allowed to stay in America and who is supporting them. They have to have funds from some source.

I can't imagine what her family is going through right now.

Bbm.
Omo.
I agree, it seems to me someone with such extreme criminal tendencies will probably exploit every situation they're in, including perhaps lying to border officials because someone who knew American law and procedures, naively, coached him.

JMO

A former roommate of Laken talks about her in this article. She sounds like she was an incredible young lady. She mentioned that she tracked her runs with an Apple watch and she rarely missed her morning exercise.

I noticed there were comments on this article and this one below gives a bit of info about the trail she was one. I also looked on All trails for the trail and then the photos and it really is very spacious and open even though it's wooded. It didn't appear to have a lot of underbrush.. just tall trees and then open ground space under them. It seems to me this was either VERY planned out or he just got 100% lucky to have not been interrupted or nothing to be heard.

Comment from under this article:

****I live in Athens. Lake Herrick is a two mile drive from my house and I walk the trails there every Saturday. It really is the last place you’d expect someone to even be able to carry out a crime like this. So long as you’re there during daylight hours you’re never going to be so isolated that you can’t count on someone else crossing your path on a walk within the next 2-4 minutes at the most, and even in the wooded areas it’s a really open space. There really isn’t much of an opportunity to drag someone into some bushes slightly off the beaten path or anything like that and have no one notice you. It’s just very strange. Someone would have had to commit this crime within a VERY small window of time and very quietly to get away with it unseen/unheard.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MJ1690
Back