Found Deceased FL - Madeline Soto, 13, Missing Child Alert, 13500 blk Town Loop Blvd, Orlando, 26 Feb 2024 *arrest* #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
SS is under No Bond for the SA charges. Once charged with murder, the court clock starts ticking.

As SS sits in jail, LE can investigate MS death and have all their ducks in a row, to file for death penalty.

No rush, he ain't going nowhere.
Moo
BBM
This needs to be a sticky at the top of every page MOO

Him disposing of a body may not make him the killer though. Might make him an accessory after the fact though. They'll want to prove who did what and when, and where etc before they bring forward any charges.
Agree with this theory. I think police are still fact finding on the Moms involvement , if there was any , ie
Don't really agree with the ppl saying they got him anyway on the SA charges so no rush on this . But yes agree it needs to be watertight yo save time down the line.
They probably want to avoid another Chris watts scenario where he confessed to the murders and got a plea deal n it doesn't go to trial but to this day ppl are still saying LE should have investigated the girlfriends involvement as a possible accomplice given location of her mobile pings that morning. Mom here knowing not knowing about the SA might be almost impossible to verify ?? Easier to forensically establish any involvement in the demise of MS ?

What other plausible situations could explain coming back to throw the backpack ? Even if it was on the spur n not planned , what could have been the momentary logic ?
LE did not give any information regarding where he was prior to 7:35am. they simply stated he was observed at 7:35am at the dumpster. did he just arrive? did he come out of the complex because he was there overnite? they didnt say.

they did say he RETURNED at 8:19am, at which time Madeline was seen in the vehicle and they believe she was deceased. its unclear if she was seen arriving with him in the vehicle. was she in the apt and he 'moved' her body at that time when he returned?

so prior to 7:35am, no info was released about that time during the press conferences. and no info released if Madeline was seen leaving the apt with him, walking, being carried, no information other than being seen in the vehicle, apparently deceased.

LE did not give any information regarding where he was prior to 7:35am. they simply stated he was observed at 7:35am at the dumpster. did he just arrive? did he come out of the complex because he was there overnite? they didnt say.

they did say he RETURNED at 8:19am, at which time Madeline was seen in the vehicle and they believe she was deceased. its unclear if she was seen arriving with him in the vehicle. was she in the apt and he 'moved' her body at that time when he returned?

so prior to 7:35am, no info was released about that time during the press conferences. and no info released if Madeline was seen leaving the apt with him, walking, being carried, no information other than being seen in the vehicle, apparently deceased.
Thank you. You're right. We don't know then if she was still alive at 7.30 only that she was presumed dead on video in the car at 8.19..why come back why come back why come back why come back .....

I don’t think so. I’ve read a boatload of affidavits, warrants and complaints. This one was a bit unusual. I’ve been wondering the same. The information was intentionally put out. We don’t usually find out those kind of details until court. imo others may see it differently but I thought it was quite graphic.
Just a thought, but the very detailed description of his genitals may have been purposely put in the affidavit, so that other victims might recognize "it" and come forward? IMO.

Apologies in advance if this has already been discussed but I've missed a couple days in this thread.

Does anyone else think it's possible the reason JS seemed to some of us that she was acting oddly in that interview is because SS took Maddie with him and left before the mom woke up? Maybe her demeanor is because she's covering for her own lack of concern about Maddie's location on that morning. She probably had a thousand scenarios about what happened going through her head.

Maybe SS told MS that he'd come take her for donuts or something before school so he came back to their place early. I believe the mom said she asked for SS to come get Maddie but imo it's possible he called her and said something like, I told Maddie I'll pick her up for breakfast, so go ahead & sleep in. Maybe he even had wine or weed with Jen to ensure she'd be sleeping in. They must still have a relationship of some sort since he went to M's birthday party and her mom didn't.
Well, my question is where did SS sleep after Madeline's birthday party? I think he slept right there in that house. In the "spare/guest bedroom". Where else would he stay? And that bedroom has to be on the same floor as Madeline's bedroom. (How convenient.) The master bedroom was on the main level. The other bedrooms in the house were on the second floor. He had come up from North Port, Florida, where he had been living with his parents specifically to attend Maddie's birthday party on Sunday. I know he didn't just turn around and drive back to North Port after the party. Especially because he must have been committed to driving her to school the next day.

partner, boyfriend...and then...the affidavit refers to SS as Madeline's stepfather?
IMO, this--that the arrest warrant request refers to SS as the stepfather when we know that factually he was not--is a good reason to not pay too close attention to the specific wording in the affidavit.

There has been a lot of confusion around the affidavit saying JS said MS was "picked up" by SS, but I don't think we can rely on that wording to definitely mean that SS was not already at JS+MS's residence. It isn't written as a direct quote. I don't recall JS publicly saying in an interview that SS picked MS up to go to school, just the inconsistent language around "we" vs. "he". If anyone knows of another time that JS may have said that SS picked MS up, please point me to it!

**GRAPHIC WARNING**
The Arrest Affidavit has been updated and is now less redacted (which makes it more graphic). Madeline's name isn't present, but it confirms it's her based on the context and birthdate. One incident took place in August of 2022, when Madeline was 11, and another incident took place when she was 12.

It's the 3 page document under "Dockets" dated 3/1. Again, it's more disturbing as it includes more information. You’ll have to enter "sterns, stephan."

ETA: I’ve attached both affidavits. They are slightly different as the charges are different.

Attachments

• IMG_6531.jpeg
    IMG_6531.jpeg
    173.8 KB · Views: 227
  • IMG_6532.jpeg
    IMG_6532.jpeg
    136.1 KB · Views: 223
  • IMG_6533.jpeg
    IMG_6533.jpeg
    149.5 KB · Views: 209
  • IMG_6534.jpeg
    IMG_6534.jpeg
    129.6 KB · Views: 216
Last edited by a moderator:
The Arrest Affidavit has been updated and is now less redacted (which makes it more graphic). Madeline's name isn't present, but it confirms it's her based on the context and birthdate. One incident took place in August of 2022, when Madeline was 11, and another incident took place when she was 12.

It's the 3 page document under "Dockets" dated 3/1. Again, it's more disturbing as it includes more information: https://courts.osceolaclerk.com/Ben...Details/3358587?digest=Y29JBUGT4wWhoE58aQ38Vg
Thanks for posting. The link doesn't work for me maybe US only. .. maybe for the best ...your summary suffices thx

IMO, this--that the arrest warrant request refers to SS as the stepfather when we know that factually he was not--is a good reason to not pay too close attention to the specific wording in the affidavit.
Case: 2024 CF 000632
Stephan Michael Sterns
DOB 4/25/1986

SEXUAL BATTERY (FAMILIAL/CUSTODIAL AUTHORITY)
POSSESSION OF MATERIALS SEXUAL PERFORMANCE BY CHILD
POSSESSION OF MATERIALS SEXUAL PERFORMANCE BY CHILD

View attachment 488119

View attachment 488118

My guess is that it must be alleged that SS was the stepfather for him to be eligible for the charges that he was in a “custodial” role (see payrollnerd’s listing of the charges). It occurs to me that JS did us all a favor by saying SS was the stepfather. Did SS ever refer to himself as such?

The lawyer in me wonders if the defense can knock out those charges by proving SS was not the stepfather (legally not married to mom). Fortunately, it will be years before that appeal can be heard and with all the solid evidence of murder - and I’m sure there is more being developed as we speak - this is still, IMO, a death penalty case.

He might not have wanted to place anything with her body that would immediately give away her identity? He may have been hoping that her body would remain undiscovered long enough for decomposition to make her unrecognizable and didn't want to leave the backpack which might have had her name on it or inside it? Surely he would have known even in that case that DNA would identify her, but I can't think of any other reason other than he was in pure panic mode and absolutely not thinking at all (which also seems likely because everything about this screams sloppy and unplanned).

Along with those good thoughts, I think it's possible he may also have been concerned about whether the laptop would be traceable and might lead to her body.

There's also the possibility of whether or not he knew her phone was left at home or if he may have thought that could also have been in her bag and didn't want it pinging to where she was found.

Snip
Newly obtained documents show that the girl’s mother told deputies Feb. 26 that she saw her daughter getting dressed for school at 8 a.m. Monday, and Sterns then took her to school.

Sources tell Channel 9 that Jennifer Soto has been interviewed multiple times by detectives from two agencies and that they are looking closely at all the statements she has made.

<snip> nor for him to have RETURNED there at 8:19am wherein police saw Maddie ON CAM in his vehicle (possibly dead already!). Can anyone come up with a reason??

Best I came up with for his return with her body in the car was so that he could go inside and use a device to plan where to take her and come up with his story as to where he dropped her off.

So then he could "leave" at the right time to supposedly "take Maddie to school?"

(Maybe thinking he'd give an excuse to Mom for why he went out earlier - "grab coffee" or something - in order to cover for disposing of her things in advance?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member