GUILTY CA - Laci Peterson, 27, pregnant, Modesto, 24 Dec 2002

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why IMO is the slant so heavy for the family of Scott Peterson, the convicted murderer? And his trove of supporters?

As others have said, I too have lost respect for the Innocence Project and the cast of those unwilling to accept what Scott Peterson did and what he was found guilty of, convicted for, and sentenced to prison for his crimes. MOO

Well forgive me if I err, but I believe if accurate, that sister in law would be Lacy Peterson’s sister, yes? If so bless her and her family.

Why IMO is the slant so heavy for the family of Scott Peterson, the convicted murderer? And his trove of supporters?

As others have said, I too have lost respect for the Innocence Project and the cast of those unwilling to accept what Scott Peterson did and what he was found guilty, convicted, and sentenced for his crimes. MOO
She is married to Scott Peterson's brother. She is not Lacy Peterson's sister.

I haven't kept up with the story for years. So I'll need some help. This van they want to test, it was alleged to have been across the street from the Peterson home and then later found burned? Is that correct? And where has this van been since then? I am all for giving a defendant lots of chances to prove innocence, but this needs some explanation first.

Don't know if it's been posted yet, but I glanced at an article today stating that his defense is now claiming that Laci was kidnapped during a neighborhood robbery. If they had any evidence of this, other than anecdotal, why not bring it up during trial??? Now is not the time for alternative theories. His guilt has been proven.

Don't know if it's been posted yet, but I glanced at an article today stating that his defense is now claiming that Laci was kidnapped during a neighborhood robbery. If they had any evidence of this, other than anecdotal, why not bring it up during trial??? Now is not the time for alternative theories. His guilt has been proven.
Long article but pretty much sums up guilty
IMO

In January, the Los Angeles Innocence Project officially took up Peterson’s case by filing motions in San Mateo County Superior Court on his behalf. The news was so controversial that the more famous Innocence Project headquartered in New York issued a statement clarifying that the Los Angeles Innocence Project is a “non-profit organization wholly independent of the Innocence Project.”<snip>Peterson’s lawyers seem to be attempting to probe if Laci and Conner were killed by two burglars who broke into a home across the street around Christmas Eve. By that logic, Laci may have interrupted a burglary-in-progress and was killed for it. A case detective interviewed for the ABC News special said two men were arrested and charged for that burglary. They were questioned in the Peterson case and cleared of any involvement; detectives believe the burglary likely happened at least a day after Laci had already disappeared.
The hearing was relatively uneventful, with the judge setting the next two hearings for April 16 and May 29. Peterson will also attend those hearings remotely from Mule Creek State Prison. More at link.

In January, the Los Angeles Innocence Project officially took up Peterson’s case by filing motions in San Mateo County Superior Court on his behalf. The news was so controversial that the more famous Innocence Project headquartered in New York issued a statement clarifying that the Los Angeles Innocence Project is a “non-profit organization wholly independent of the Innocence Project.”<snip>Peterson’s lawyers seem to be attempting to probe if Laci and Conner were killed by two burglars who broke into a home across the street around Christmas Eve. By that logic, Laci may have interrupted a burglary-in-progress and was killed for it. A case detective interviewed for the ABC News special said two men were arrested and charged for that burglary. They were questioned in the Peterson case and cleared of any involvement; detectives believe the burglary likely happened at least a day after Laci had already disappeared.
The hearing was relatively uneventful, with the judge setting the next two hearings for April 16 and May 29. Peterson will also attend those hearings remotely from Mule Creek State Prison. More at link.
I was just about to respond to your earlier post and then saw this. Yes, I recall that they had tried to make this connection at trial somehow, there had been some burglaries in the area, but it just wasn't believable. Especially given the evidence specifically against Scott.

I was just about to respond to your earlier post and then saw this. Yes, I recall that they had tried to make this connection at trial somehow, there had been some burglaries in the area, but it just wasn't believable. Especially given the evidence specifically against Scott.
Yes, It's not letting me post a quote from BeachSky's article, but the bottom line is: those were false sightings of Laci. She was already dead, and more than one pregnant woman could have been walking a dog wearing a white top and black pants. (Very generic clothing colors- and the description that Scott gave). Laci's body was actually found in Khaki pants- what her sister described her as last wearing.

I haven't kept up with the story for years. So I'll need some help. This van they want to test, it was alleged to have been across the street from the Peterson home and then later found burned? Is that correct? And where has this van been since then? I am all for giving a defendant lots of chances to prove innocence, but this needs some explanation first.
BBM. Correct.

There are quite a few items they want to test. Items found in the Medina home after the burglary, items near where Laci's remains were found, items from the burned van. There was a mattress found in back of the van that wasn't in the van when it was stolen. The date of the Medina burglary could not have been on the date LE claims because by that date, there were news media parked on that street covering the missing Laci case. The Innocence Project is also requesting a ton of discovery so their experts can analyze it.

The motion is below. It points out the funding to pay for the tests is from the DOJ.

JMO

BBM. Correct.

There are quite a few items they want to test. Items found in the Medina home after the burglary, items near where Laci's remains were found, items from the burned van. There was a mattress found in back of the van that wasn't in the van when it was stolen. The date of the Medina burglary could not have been on the date LE claims because by that date, there were news media parked on that street covering the missing Laci case. The Innocence Project is also requesting a ton of discovery so their experts can analyze it.

The motion is below. It points out the funding to pay for the tests is from the DOJ.

JMO

Thanks. That is very helpful. So I can follow the direction the Innocence Project is trying to take. I think its just a shot in the dark, but if they can pay for it, I guess they should get a chance.

Thanks. That is very helpful. So I can follow the direction the Innocence Project is trying to take. I think its just a shot in the dark, but if they can pay for it, I guess they should get a chance.
iirc, the LA Innocence Project was established by a man wrongfully convicted and incarcerated for more than 30 years and it is affiliated with a university. I applaud their efforts.

I remember reporter Ted Rowlands was adamant that the Medina burglary did not happen on Dec. 26 because he and his news van & a photographer were parked on the street beginning at 6 AM. A witness also reported to LE that she saw the van and three men on Dec. 24. Most significantly, LE took the word of the burglars rather than the witness as to what date the burglary occurred. LE wasn't interested in investigating the burned van with the blood the Fire Arson investigator noticed on the mattress.

JMO

Judge Hill set the following schedule for Peterson’s future hearings with the LA Innocence Project:
  • Hearing on motion to seal court records: April 16, 9 a.m. – Peterson will appear via Zoom.
  • Hearing on DNA testing motion: May 29, 9 a.m. – Peterson will appear via Zoom.
  • Hearing on 1054.9 motion: July 15, 9 a.m. – Peterson will appear via Zoom.
The LA Innocence Project was given a 6-month deadline from the court to complete its Peterson investigation, Mitchell said.

@Niner

You can also get hearing info at the court website, case no. SC055500A.

The lead defense attorney is Paula Mitchell of the LA Innocence Project (not THE Innocence Project of Barry Scheck).

She has gotten other convicts freed while at Loyola Law School’s Project for the Innocent.

That story is about Andrew Wilson who used money he got from a settlement to donate to Cal State LA to start the LA Innocent Project in 2022.

It's new but it does have at least one success story.

(I am not endorsing their efforts in this case, just giving info.)

Tuesday's brief status conference hearing focused on scheduling future hearings. A hearing on a motion to seal proceedings will take place on April 16. Another hearing on the DNA motions was scheduled for May 29. Another hearing about discovery proceedings will take place on July 15.

Judge Hill set the following schedule for Peterson’s future hearings with the LA Innocence Project:
  • Hearing on motion to seal court records: April 16, 9 a.m. – Peterson will appear via Zoom.
  • Hearing on DNA testing motion: May 29, 9 a.m. – Peterson will appear via Zoom.
  • Hearing on 1054.9 motion: July 15, 9 a.m. – Peterson will appear via Zoom.
The LA Innocence Project was given a 6-month deadline from the court to complete its Peterson investigation, Mitchell said.

@Niner

You can also get hearing info at the court website, case no. SC055500A.

Thank you both! :) Much appreciated!

That really has to be shouted from the rooftops, that the LA innocence project has nothing to do with the well-known, respected one. Seems easy to júst drop "LA" part of the outfit in conversation which was probably the intent. Like naming one's little project as "Los Angeles Red Cross" which is not the same as the "American Red Cross Los Angeles Region". Then remind the confused public that you accept tax deductible charitable donations.

That really has to be shouted from the rooftops, that the LA innocence project has nothing to do with the well-known, respected one. Seems easy to júst drop "LA" part of the outfit in conversation which was probably the intent. Like naming one's little project as "Los Angeles Red Cross" which is not the same as the "American Red Cross Los Angeles Region". Then remind the confused public that you accept tax deductible charitable donations.
BBM. Actually, LAIP is a member of the network of state Innocence Projects founded by the Innocence Project. They all do excellent work!
JMO

Together with other innocence organizations, we work to broaden the reach of the innocence movement. We are the headquarters of the Innocence Network, a coalition of more than 70 independently funded organizations that provide investigative support, legal representation, and assistance to people with claims of innocence in 50 states and 12 countries outside of the U.S. Innocence Network member organizations have collectively exonerated more than 750 wrongfully convicted people since the Network was founded in 2005.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nosferatu