Found Deceased TN - Riley Strain, 22, missing from a bar, Nashville, 8 March 2024

Status
Not open for further replies.
From what I've read a body starts decomposing in a body of water after 2-3 days and will bloat, rise to the surface, and float. It seems he would have been found in a river by now if he was in it.

If he felt he was in danger or wasn't feeling right there was so many normal non-homeless people around him while he was walking on the street that he could have asked help or directions to his hotel from if his phone shut down or he wasn't capable of doing that himself. It's just weird how a 6'7" foot tall man with an iphone and apple watch can disappear with no trace, unless they wanted to disappear.
I don't think he could be found that easily. Nicola Bulley was only found after 3 weeks, after extensive searches, and compared to the Cumberland river with strong currents, she disappeared in a stream. Riley could be miles downriver, or snagged on debris under water. There are many cases of people lost in rivers, and cases of never found at all. The girl (can't remember her name) who fell off a riverboat as it came to shore, was also finally found much later, way down river on the opposite shore.

This is a view from the Nashville Metro Courthouse looking back at the river with the A.A.Birch building at the top left. Appears to me to be fairly dense foliage along the riverbank so I'd be surprised if he made it down to the river at this location. It also appears that for him to get up on either bridge he would have to cross the street working back from the river.

JMO
I wonder if the police have drones they are searching with that can get a closer up view that humans cant see?

I don't think he could be found that easily. Nicola Bulley was only found after 3 weeks, after extensive searches, and compared to the Cumberland river with strong currents, she disappeared in a stream. Riley could be miles downriver, or snagged on debris under water. There are many cases of people lost in rivers, and cases of never found at all. The girl (can't remember her name) who fell off a riverboat as it came to shore, was also finally found much later, way down river on the opposite shore.
I think the big difference is his height which would likely be easier to see. He's said to be 6'5"-6'7" and she was only 5'3".

MAR 16, 2024
On Saturday, Strain’s father, Ryan Gilbert, told News 2 the family has learned Strain’s Apple Watch location services had never been set up, ruining a lead they were hoping would bring them answers.

“We’re ready to get this over with. We want some answers,” Gilbert said. “We’re a week in, it’s not getting any easier. Time seems like it’s really to the critical point, and we want to ask anybody, if they know anything, to please share it.”

A man who's part of Nashville's homeless community speaks out for the first time on seeing missing college student Riley Strain walking his last known path.

[...]

... Tonight, we're hearing from one of the last people who potentially saw Riley before his trail stops.

[...]
From the article:

He said he didn't head closer to the street to check on Strain, since someone else was already there.

"I yelled up. They said, ‘He’s just drunk. He’s okay.’

I wonder if LE has spoken to this someone else, and if so, what they had to say.

Appears to me to be fairly dense foliage along the riverbank so I'd be surprised if he made it down to the river at this location. It also appears that for him to get up on either bridge he would have to cross the street working back from the river.
You're correct. Dense bushes and brambles along the fence line, but only in some sections. Railing, unfortunately, is not very high or protective at all points along RS's known or potential path. LE ended up not being able to get his last location from his watch (location services were not set up) but they were able to see that his Apple Watch did not register a fall. And in my hiking experience that fall detection feature is pretty accurate.

Patrons who don't stop and close out their tabs are charged a 15% gratuity when the server closes out for the shift. A server accustomed to receiving 20% tips might be motivated to get customers to close out their tabs and write in the amount of the tip.
The bar advisories that I have seen in many states are the exact opposite.

Tabs not closed out are automatically charged the higher 20% tip rate. Thus, if anything, servers would want people to leave with out closing out their tabs.

Likewise, the time that the credit card is charged can vary. It might occur at closing, it might occur when the server notices that the customer has left.

Accordingly, in a busy bar, a fraternity member could have left with TS, then returned say, 30-45 minutes later with a pretty good chance that their tab would still be open as it would likely take the server more time to conclude that the person had left, then close out the tab- often with a 20% tip.

In the end, if anybody lapsed, it strongly does not appear to have been the bar employees.

From the article:

He said he didn't head closer to the street to check on Strain, since someone else was already there.

"I yelled up. They said, ‘He’s just drunk. He’s okay.’

I wonder if LE has spoken to this someone else, and if so, what they had to say.
This gives me the creepy crawlies.

Moo..I have never seen bar staff picking targets for others. First place to busy serving booze and keeping people calm. Second tourists spend and tip very well. What I did notice in tourist season is our base regular clientele changes, more pick pockets, sex workers, drug sellers. We had cruise ships, US military ships, lots of Marines n navy. And honestly I want that money, so usually telling tourists watch your wallet. We lost and still lose people of all sexs and ages to the water. It is not just the young ones that fall to misadventure..moo

I hope this wasn’t some “hazing” type deal. Fraternity guys and all.
Speaking of fraternities..... They can come in three or more general flavors:

A- Private Social Fraternities: Pick their own members, bonding pledge process, group residence in a house when possible, lots of social contact with other members.

B- Fraternities based on majors: Open to anybody in the major. May have GPA standards. Very nominal pledging process. Many members would not be close to each other socially.

C- Service / Religious oriented fraternities: Centered around providing volunteer services and / or growing a student's faith.

As this fraternity was engaged in a "bar crawl", I dont think they are a "C". Could well be an "A". But.... they might be a "B". If so, "B" type members do not live as a group and had not gone though a bonding pledge process. Thus..... a possible social dynamic where the members dont feel a high level of responsibility for each other.

This does not mean they willfully endanger somebody. Rather, it could mean: "Well, he Said he was going back to the hotel and looked like he could make it. So.... I let him go" type mentality.

Last edited:
I was the one who posted 15%. It could be 20%. I honestly don’t pay much attention to it (I should but most of the places I go the bartenders know me). Also, they have even ran my card the next day before. Or maybe that’s when it posted to my account. I just know I leave without “closing” my tab all the time. I’ts never an issue. And I don’t have to go back to get my card or anything.

I hope this is ok, since the family friend and spokesman Chris Dingman has confirmed it. The credit card found by two girls in a "wooded area" indeed is Riley's credit card. Police are in transit to verify it.
as per the Riley Strain Missing page, FB.

And in additional background...

These types of large bars in busy tourism based entertainment districts are almost always anything but "shady".

Rather, they provide everybody from bouncers to bar staff to kitchen staff to owners living wages in areas where such benefits can be hard to find for those sans say, advanced STEM degrees.

The hard working owners and staff of these bars face challenges:

They need to create and maintain as safe as an environment as possible so that tourists want to come back. But... they cant police individual human behavior. They cant be every where all the time and do not have crystal balls. And.... their customers are consuming a mood and behavior altering substance.

From what I have seen in Nashville, New Orleans and Las Vegas, the owners and staff of these bars work very hard and do an excellent job day in and day out to find that mystical balance between safety and individual choices.

I strongly suspect that this is also the case for this bar as well. Wheew, getting off my soap box now..... .

I hope this is ok, since the family friend and spokesman Chris Dingman has confirmed it. The credit card found by two girls in a "wooded area" indeed is Riley's credit card. Police are in transit to verify it.
as per the Riley Strain Missing page, FB.
I get a funny feeling about it. It's where his phone last pinged in an area that I would think would have been searched really well. I hope someone didn't purposely plant it there

I get a funny feeling about it. It's where his phone last pinged in an area that I would think would have been searched really well. I hope someone didn't purposely plant it there
Suppose he was mugged, the phone could be tracked so, the person turns it off, which accounts for the last ping in the area. Mugger knows that since Riley is being looked for, people will be paying extr attention to his cards so he tosses those too.

Just one scenario that could explain this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roseashley592